Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister of State for Science to launch anti-science book!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭devilsad

Looks as though he can't handle debate. He called the launch to a halt when the questions got too sticky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

devilsad wrote: »
    Looks as though he can't handle debate. He called the launch to a halt when the questions got too sticky.
    The questions were probably to do with actually producing evidence to back up his rubbish.

An excellent blog from someone who was in attendance has just been published...

http://http://www.atheist.ie/2010/09/gorillas-girls-and-specious-nonsense-by-derek-walsh/

I'm not sure of the relevence of this, but I'm enjoying this story so much, I can't let it go. I mentioned that I was told by an acquiantance of May at the launch that the book had been financed by Denis O'Brien. Well a chap on Politics.ie found this in the archives of the Sunday Business Post:

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2009/08/09/story43612.asp

Leave Denis O’Brien alone

The Moriarty Tribunal is now 12 years forensically foraging for fodder to legitimise its questionable existence.

One man from a relatively average background won a radio licence in 1989 and founded 98FM.He and his group made the best impression - and obviously had the finest bid - and secured the mobile phone licence.

I have observed his amazing career, admiring how a David took on the Goliaths in the ruthless corporate world of business and won. The licence was issued to the joy of one group and the disappointment and fury of others. However, almost immediately, gossiping rumours and innuendoes began.

Now,12 years later, one man’s reputation is tarnished by the daily drip of desultory drivel fed into this ongoing waste of resources. Denis O’Brien has not got, and is not getting, what our government is constitutionally obligated to assure him of: justice.

John J May Tallaght, Dublin 24

Ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I'd be happy enough if it was just Dennis O'Brien. My first thought was that it must be some American evangelical creationist group trying to get their foot in the door.

Radio adds, publishing costs,the launch; it must be costing (losing) a fortune. :pac:

• Advertisement

recedite wrote: »
    I'd be happy enough if it was just Dennis O'Brien.

Yes except, what if Lenihan as minister of science had some part in helping the author get funding for the book from O'Brien?

Lenihan said today that he's a former exec. of Esat Digiphone.

Hmmm... well it would still be a private arrangement between 3 individuals who were connected through each other; as long as no public funds were involved.

Also, I see Conor is now making suggestions that Brian Cowen should resign :pac:
    I think doing an interview with a hangover is a bit stupid, but not half as stupid as either the kebab incident or the support of specious nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 deanjdk

For those interested..here is a video responce made to the author of the book by youtube user mrodub and myself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbt-b8cA2pw

Some interesting stuff there on human mutations. Probably won't be too long before couples intending to have a baby are offered "gene therapy". Whatever you think of genetic engineering, it would be very hard to refuse an offer to give your kids lifelong immunity from heart attack.

Advertisement