Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long were you with your partner before getting engaged

Options
2»

Comments

I think it was close to about a year and a half together before we got engaged. He'd been planning it for months though.

I mainly like the thought of being each others closest relative. If anything happened me I want him to be the one who makes the big decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Started dating when I was 20 and she was 18.

Got engaged 8.5 years later and married a year and a half later.

That was 10 years ago this year so we're together 20 in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,031 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just a curiosity and the age involved as well. To be honest I'd be half afraid of divorce or getting sick of the missus after a few years and the legal implications if we ever got divorced. That's just my personality so no insults please.

I know marriage is not for me so will never get married.
    Why get engaged if you have no intention of ever getting married?

I was with my partner 6 years roughly and married after 7, I am 37 and he is 34

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

gmisk wrote: »
    Why get engaged if you have no intention of ever getting married?

I know a lady who was engaged for almost 40 years until her boyfriend/fiance died aged 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,031 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I know a lady who was engaged for almost 40 years until her boyfriend/fiance died aged 70.
    I'd say that isn't the norm though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Myself and my GF of 5 years (living together for 4) both seem to agree that marriage is a mugs game in the sense that, if two people want to stay together, can they not just do exactly that without getting married?

Are there benefits when two people get married such as tax status or something along those lines?

Not just tax, a lot of transferable pensions are to spouse only. Early death payments, guaranteed income. This is especially important if you have children.

Advertisement