Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long were you with your partner before getting engaged

Options
  • 31-12-2019 3:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Just a curiosity and the age involved as well. To be honest I'd be half afraid of divorce or getting sick of the missus after a few years and the legal implications if we ever got divorced. That's just my personality so no insults please.

I know marriage is not for me so will never get married.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Just a curiosity and the age involved as well. To be honest I'd be half afraid of divorce or getting sick of the missus after a few years and the legal implications if we ever got divorced. That's just my personality so no insults please.

You'd be better off spending the money on a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I'd be half afraid of divorce or getting sick of the missus after a few years and the legal implications if we ever got divorced....

five years living together, and it could be just as bad

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I’m nearly afraid to get married. I’m with my partner 10 years now. You sometimes hear of people in long-term relationships getting married and then separating soon after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭themouthpiece

I’m nearly afraid to get married. I’m with my partner 10 years now. You sometimes hear of people in long-term relationships getting married and then separating soon after.

Worst is the domestic abuse that starts after marriage. Either male and female trying to isolate their partner from friends and family seems to be a common enough thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Worst is the domestic abuse that starts after marriage. Either male and female trying to isolate their partner from friends and family seems to be a common enough thing.

I doubt that'd start after 10 years living together though. If it was going to happen, it'd happen shortly enough after moving in together, marriage or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

You'd be too busy starting new threads anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭themouthpiece

Done with that thread now, lets go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

1 Year after going out officially on the date from 17.5 to 18.5 years old. Our parents should have ripped the life out of us and told us to wise up. 6 years later we broke up amicably, never married.

Getting engaged and getting married isn't the be all and end all for a relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

See how long a wife would hang around driving a 2010 skoda, mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

pablo128 wrote: »
    See how long a wife would hang around driving a 2010 skoda, mate.

Bout 9 seconds from 0 to 100kmh in a VRS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

I doubt that'd start after 10 years living together though. If it was going to happen, it'd happen shortly enough after moving in together, marriage or not

Not always. I know a few cases of one partner suddenly turning into Satan after the wedding, even in cases where they'd been together years. Domestic abuse following marriage seems quite common and is scary. It's as if some people think the other person is trapped and they can now do whatever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Clearly not. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Got engaged at 30 after 9 months together. Married 9 months later. Still happily married after nearly 17 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Met when we were both 32. Together two years before engagement. Married a year later. Together 7 years in total this coming March.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Got engaged after 1 year of dating both aged 28, married a year later again. That was almost 15 years ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In many cases the relationship is usually already broken, but one or both aren't sure what the problem is and think that a greater sign of commitment will fix the issue. Then they get married and realise the problem is still there.

I remember reading a reddit thread on "why did you get divorced", and a stunning number of people got married because they didn't have the balls to call off the wedding. And once it was done, they were left with no choice but to get a divorce. That must be an American thing.

Also, as others point out above, some people (mostly men) still have bizarrely antiquated ideas around marriage. They still think of it as a chase-and-capture exercise, and once married there is no longer any need to "chase" and they treat their partner like a servant or a piece of the furniture, where before they were on a pedestal. Since the other partner doesn't see it this way, the relationship quickly breaks down and they're gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Never heard of that just starting after marriage. If it was to happen which it no doubt does it would start soon after moving in together.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭mcgragger

I met my wife 12 years ago today believe it or not.

We were 2.5 years before engaged and then another 1.5 before we got married.

With or without marriage you are tied to someone legally after an amount of time living together so in reality marriage doesnt mean much these days to the non religious.

We were both 28 and had no kids when we met - we have two now.

We travelled alot in our early years. went all over the place - Bali, Borneo, Thailand, Vietnam, USA both Coasts,Malaysia,Indonesia Canada, Mexico, Most European countries etc.
    Its all out of the system now. Happy to be settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

I can't remember exactly but I think engaged a year and a half or so after we started going out. Married a year and a half later, 3 years long distance (different countries) and only moved in 2 weeks before the actual wedding.

Married 8 years this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

mcgragger wrote: »
    I met my wife 12 years ago today believe it or not.

We were 2.5 years before engaged and then another 1.5 before we got married.

With or without marriage you are tied to someone legally after an amount of time living together so in reality marriage doesnt mean much these days to the non religious.

We were both 28 and had no kids when we met - we have two now.

We travelled alot in our early years. went all over the place - Bali, Borneo, Thailand, Vietnam, USA both Coasts,Malaysia,Indonesia Canada, Mexico, Most European countries etc.
    Its all out of the system now. Happy to be settled.

All out of the system , really. You wouldn't love to be still swaning around Aisa with your backpack and not a care in the world?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I met my wife in November 06 and we dated for about 6 weeks but then it fizzled out and we started seeing other people but stayed in touch with each other and met up a few times. We got back together at the beginning of April 07. We got engaged at the end of June 07 and married in June 08. We've been married 11 years and have two daughters (9 & 7yrs) and couldn’t be happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Myself and my GF of 5 years (living together for 4) both seem to agree that marriage is a mugs game in the sense that, if two people want to stay together, can they not just do exactly that without getting married?

Are there benefits when two people get married such as tax status or something along those lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

We started going out at 17 and got married at 31. We didn't really get engaged, we just decided to get married. Married 11 years now and all good for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Myself and my GF of 5 years (living together for 4) both seem to agree that marriage is a mugs game in the sense that, if two people want to stay together, can they not just do exactly that without getting married?

Are there benefits when two people get married such as tax status or something along those lines?

If you buy a house inheritance tax means it makes sense to get married. Then there's next of kin and parenting rights, not sure they are the same for cohabiting couples.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

And just like that...! Hes gone, like zorro into the dark. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

eviltwin wrote: »
    If you buy a house inheritance tax means it makes sense to get married. Then there's next of kin and parenting rights, not sure they are the same for cohabiting couples.

Also makes sense with tax credits if you are a single income family. Next-of-kin would be very important for us too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Until you are certain that they are not bat crazy and have the same outlook on life as yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Got engaged about a year after meeting and married a year later: I was 26 and she was 24 when we married.

Coming up on 49 years ago and all good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Yep, happened to me. Was with partner for 10 years. Once we got engaged, (he surprised me) I realised that I did not want to get married and the whole thing imploded within 3 years. He got pushy about starting to book wedding and I just kept fobbing him off as I knew I did not want it and he was not the right person for me. The relationship got very dark and ended with a massive violent row where he snapped and there could be no going back. Solicitors , Barristers, Bill's, stress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We were going out about 10 years, never saw the point of getting married as we didn't have kids at the time and were both working. Then my boyfriend had an accident, where he was brought to hospital and I couldn't consent to the operation he needed. I had to phone his mum, who was in another hospital at the time.

Then we saw the point after seeing a solicitor and checking how to fix that. It's a legal pack. Next of Kin. Guardianship. Tax. Inheritance.

We were married 6 months later in a smallish low-cost ceremony. Married almost 12 years now.

Advertisement