Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

80s bands re-united and playing live in recent years.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Strumms wrote: »
    I’ve seen the Stones live a few times. Indoor, amazing, outdoor, big stage etc...good mostly but not on the same level. Pushing 80 now, all bar Ron they’d be around 76, actually he’s 72, Charlie is 78... fûck.

I was a big music fan in the sixties, I went to see as many groups as my limited finances would allow. I was at that famous night in the Adelphi in 1963 when the Beatles came to town, on reflection, the greatest waste of money ever, you couldn't hear a fcuking thing.
    The Stones were just coming on the scene at the time and if somebody had told me then that, not only would they outlast the Fab Four but they'd still be going in 2020, I'd have laughed at them. At the beginning they were very amateurish but thanks initially to Andrew Oldham and getting rid of Brian Jones, who was an unsettling influence, they really have become the band of the century.
    All credit to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Stones have been putting out records for almost 56 years by my calculations. That’s just nuts. Some dedication to their craft.

Zaph wrote: »
    If only Talking Heads would copy the rest and re-form then I'd be a very happy man. But seeing as three of them no longer really speak to David Byrne, unfortunately that's about as likely as me winning the Euromillions tonight.

I assume you saw David Byrne in the point last year as a consolation prize?

It will never happen but The Smiths would be class to see again. SFX gig mid 80s was great

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Stones have been putting out records for almost 56 years by my calculations. That’s just nuts. Some dedication to their craft.

Yeah, but they've only released two albums in the last twenty years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    That song is about Heather Graham his ex girlfriend. He has had some severe mental health issues but is producing new music

If David Lynch knew he would have thrown him into a movie with Heather.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I assume you saw David Byrne in the point last year as a consolation prize?

That was the greatest gig I've ever been to. It was so good it was almost like a religious experience. It was an amazing concept brilliantly executed. It's opening on Broadway next week for a three month run, I'd love to have the funds to be able to go over and see it.

That was the greatest gig I've ever been to. It was so good it was almost like a religious experience. It was an amazing concept brilliantly executed. It's opening on Broadway next week for a three month run, I'd love to have the funds to be able to go over and see it.

It’s not quite up there with Leonard Cohen in Dublin a number of years ago but not far off- I had purchased his latest album American Utopia in advance so I could appreciate even the newer stuff- but yeah, it’s great to be able to say that a concert in 2018 could still be one of your all time best gigs after 3 decades of concert going.

It’s not quite up there with Leonard Cohen in Dublin a number of years ago but not far off- I had purchased his latest album American Utopia in advance so I could appreciate even the newer stuff- but yeah, it’s great to be able to say that a concert in 2018 could still be one of your all time best gigs after 3 decades of concert going.

Yeah, a few people have told me that that Leonard Cohen gig was very special. I saw David Byrne in the Ambassador in 2002, and that was in my top 3 gigs, but last year's one just blew everything else out of the water.

Yeah, a few people have told me that that Leonard Cohen gig was very special. I saw David Byrne in the Ambassador in 2002, and that was in my top 3 gigs, but last year's one just blew everything else out of the water.

OMG- where Stop Making Sense showed in the 80’s - that must have been so cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

It will never happen but The Smiths would be class to see again. SFX gig mid 80s was great

Would love to have seen the 1984 tour but did catch them in The National Stadium, February 1986. My second ever gig. The June Brides supported. Some night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Unlikely to happen

I'd sell my first and second born to see it

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Unlikely to happen

I'd sell my first and second born to see it

If it was going to happen in their 30’s or 40’s was the time for it to. Both now are mid 50’s and quite far removed as people and in life from the guys that called it a day in their 20’s, around 24/25... so I think it would maybe not be the greatest of decisions. It’s unlikely a creative spark could be reforged personally.

If it was going to happen in their 30’s or 40’s was the time for it to. Both now are mid 50’s and quite far removed as people and in life from the guys that called it a day in their 20’s, around 24/25... so I think it would maybe not be the greatest of decisions. It’s unlikely a creative spark could be reforged personally.

Agree. Too much has happened; couldn't see it being harmonious or productive. Don't ruin the memories. Some buzz while it lasted - just four years really. I first heard them in November 1983, This Charming Man on Top Of The Pops. Remember reading about the break-up in the NME around the August bank holiday 1987. No internet so that's how I got the news. Massive shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,099 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Agree. Too much has happened; couldn't see it being harmonious or productive. Don't ruin the memories. Some buzz while it lasted - just four years really. I first heard them in November 1983, This Charming Man on Top Of The Pops. Remember reading about the break-up in the NME around the August bank holiday 1987. No internet so that's how I got the news. Massive shock.

Panic. Hang the DJ! Epic. Heard they broke up on the BBC news. Hopefully they never try to reform. You're right, don't ruin the memories. Saw Morrissey in Dublin Castle supporting The Cranberries in 2000?

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Panic. Hang the DJ! Epic. Heard they broke up on the BBC news. Hopefully they never try to reform. You're right, don't ruin the memories. Saw Morrissey in Dublin Castle supporting The Cranberries in 2000?

I saw Morrissey in Dublin Castle but it was 2004. You Are The Quarry tour. Think Damien Dempsey supported. Heineken Green Energy featival June Bank Holiday. Absolutely scorching. Just back from a fortnight Crete that morning. He opened with First Of The Gang To Die and encored with There Is A Light That Never Goes Out. It is also the show where he made his infamous "Ronald Reagan died today; it should have been Bush" remark.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,099 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I saw Morrissey in Dublin Castle but it was 2004. You Are The Quarry tour. Think Damien Dempsey supported. Heineken Green Energy featival June Bank Holiday. Absolutely scorching. Just back from a fortnight Crete that morning. He opened with First Of The Gang To Die and encored with There Is A Light That Never Goes Out. It is also the show where he made his infamous "Ronald Reagan died today; it should have been Bush" remark.

I think you're right. I'm remembering it all wrong. Van the man with the Cranberries. Morrissey a few years later. He played the point too later that year.

OMG- where Stop Making Sense showed in the 80’s - that must have been so cool.

It was. :D

I remember going to the gents and there were guys around my age talking about how they'd been to see the film there as well years previously. Never has a night out at the cinema been as much fun as going to see the Stop Making Sense late show at the Ambassador. It was like a big party. They occasionally have it on in the Lighthouse, that's good fun too and worth keeping an eye out for when it's on.

That was some show, a beautiful day, great sound, touring a fantastic and maybe his most underrated album, You Are The Quarry. The last ever show too with Alain White on guitar... been massively missed since. Never been a great fan of Tobias, talented for sure but something about his style and sound that doesn’t grab me.

Advertisement