Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

80s bands re-united and playing live in recent years.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The top 10 highest grossing world tours of 2019 so far include Elton John, Metallica, Fleetwood Mac, KISS, Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, and Cher.

The Rolling Stones are still touring, led by 76-year-old Mick Jagger.

Makes you wonder why musicians old enough to be pensioners are drawing bigger crowds than younger acts.

I assumed its because that music is still favoured by people and that nostalgia ? I'm in my mid twenties and pretty much all the music I listen too is from the 70s,80s and 90s. I missed seeing all those bands from those decades in their prime so if they doing tours now than I'm in favour of that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    A-ha are on their second comeback.

They are retouring their debut Hunting High & Liw album. Back in 2009/10 they had gigs in Oslo and the Albert Hall for 25th anniversary of release. I was at the London gig. They were great. Happy to see they’ve made a tour out of it and I don’t think it’s quite the same as some of the kitsch/camp 80s stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I saw ABC in the Olympia a couple of years ago and that was a great gig. You couldn't call them a reunited band though because ABC has been Martin Fry for a long time now.

Like with many bands the lineup has changed over the years, but ABC has always been mostly a Martin Fry show. Lead singer and song-writer anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I assumed its because that music is still favoured by people and that nostalgia ? I'm in my mid twenties and pretty much all the music I listen too is from the 70s,80s and 90s. I missed seeing all those bands from those decades in their prime so if they doing tours now than I'm in favour of that

Nostalgia may motivate older people, but I still see young Irish people all the time wearing AC/DC, Iron Maiden, and Metallica T-shirts, even though Angus Young is old enough to be their grandfather. Many fans of the Stones and Beatles weren't even alive when those bands were in their heyday.

I think there's a recognition on some level that it's just better music than what is current today. Many people would struggle to name even one good rock band formed in the last decade -- compare that to the 60s or 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Nostalgia may motivate older people, but I still see young Irish people all the time wearing AC/DC, Iron Maiden, and Metallica T-shirts, even though Angus Young is old enough to be their grandfather. Many fans of the Stones and Beatles weren't even alive when those bands were in their heyday.

I think there's a recognition on some level that it's just better music than what is current today. Many people would struggle to name even one good rock band formed in the last decade -- compare that to the 60s or 70s.

A lot of music these days is gone to fook. Auto tuned rubbish. You can actually recognize the specific auto tuned effect in many songs across many artists. Especially male vocalists. Similar sound. Similar vocals. Different acts.

I sad it earlier. A band is a band. In the 1980s, Big Country apparently recorded their songs in the studio, LIVE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

The top 10 highest grossing world tours of 2019 so far include Elton John, Metallica, Fleetwood Mac, KISS, Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, and Cher.

The Rolling Stones are still touring, led by 76-year-old Mick Jagger.

Makes you wonder why musicians old enough to be pensioners are drawing bigger crowds than younger acts.

It's because they all have a huge back catalogue of very famous songs that everyone knows. Plus, there's the other factor that they mightn't be around for much longer so a lot of people will go to see them as it might be their last chance to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

I saw simple minds in the Olympia there the other year - absolutely brilliant night out. Granted they weren’t in the same league as when I saw them in croker in ‘87 (I think).
    I saw tears for fears earlier this year in the 3arena - that was a shock - I was honestly never much of a fan, and unfortunately arrived late to only hear the end of the support act, Alison Moyet. Omg can that woman still sing. Regret not catching all her act.
    Anyway - tears for fears - wow - never expected them to sound so good. Incredible. I had seen Duran Duran some years before that, and bless their cotton socks, they were ‘ok’. I didn’t have high expectations for tears for fears. How wrong was I. They can still hit all their notes... so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

RayCon wrote: »
    Unfortunately XTC stopped touring in the 80's .... now there's a band I'd love to see live. :(

Andy Partridge had a breakdown I think and stopped touring for a long time, but apparently these days he still tours a little, so there might be hope yet, if so hopefully an EP appearance in the future.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I was at the Feile in Thurles earlier on.

It is kind of sad to see old Irish bands and acts well past their sell by date tbh.

Alot of the stuff tonight was cat in fairness , aside from the Horslips.

Their sound is timeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    No. One wrote his own music with a band and was originally a punk band. The other was a Elvis impersonator who did covers.

A sweeping dismissal. Shaky has plenty self-penned compositions on his albums. And the disc of 12" remixes on his Epic Masters box is deadly.
    Name a self penned hit by him. Every hit by Adam Ant was at least the co writer. To even compare Stevens to Ant is an insult. Ant designed his own outfits, album covers, music video and wrote most of all his recordings with the exception of the odd cover. Stephens rehashed old hits and copied his look,dancing and was heavily managed. Effectively he was a product made by someone else.
    To confuse the two is crazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Name a self penned hit by him. Every hit by Adam Ant was at least the co writer. To even compare Stevens to Ant is an insult. Ant designed his own outfits, album covers, music video and wrote most of all his recordings with the exception of the odd cover. Stephens rehashed old hits and copied his look,dancing and was heavily managed. Effectively he was a product made by someone else.
    To confuse the two is crazy

I didn't compare them - that was another poster.

Self-penned hits - Oh Julie (#1) and Teardrops (#5). There's also quite a few album tracks and B-Sides written by him.

I agree that I enjoy Adam Ant records more (Kings Of The Wild Frontier is one of my favourite albums of the '80s and I had no hesitation in forking out for this). He's also brilliant live but I do like Shakin' Stevens as well, particularly the less rock'n'roll material.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭davidglanza

Guns n roses

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Rothko wrote: »
    It's because they all have a huge back catalogue of very famous songs that everyone knows. Plus, there's the other factor that they mightn't be around for much longer so a lot of people will go to see them as it might be their last chance to do so.

Headcount is one part, the other is price. Some of the ticket prices are insane. Supply demand yada yada, it's gouging.

coffeepls wrote: »
    I saw simple minds in the Olympia there the other year - absolutely brilliant night out. Granted they weren’t in the same league as when I saw them in croker in ‘87 (I think).
    I saw tears for fears earlier this year in the 3arena - that was a shock - I was honestly never much of a fan, and unfortunately arrived late to only hear the end of the support act, Alison Moyet. Omg can that woman still sing. Regret not catching all her act.
    Anyway - tears for fears - wow - never expected them to sound so good. Incredible. I had seen Duran Duran some years before that, and bless their cotton socks, they were ‘ok’. I didn’t have high expectations for tears for fears. How wrong was I. They can still hit all their notes... so well.

Simple Minds in Croker was '86 and then the RDS Arena in '89. Great times and they do still put on a great show, but the interest in them has dropped considerably. Losing Michael McNeill on keyboards didn't help. A pity.

Tears for Fears have made a storming comeback and are recording and touring big venues. Duran Duran never broke up, and over the last 12 years have been touring with 4 of the original 5 members. Headlined the EP in 2017. Despite the pre festival negativity, they brought the house down according to reviews. Alison Moyet is awesome. I think what stopped her being a megastar was being involved with Yazoo and her subsequent solo recording career which was far removed from her time in Yazoo.

I was never into Adam Ant during the early part of his career, but I applaud his contribution to music. Just when he started to appeal to me he was gone from the scene. This is actually my favourite song from him, including the same titled album. Mid 90s.

These days he has returned to the act that made him famous in the first place. Ant music just didn't do it for me though. But a top man anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Simple Minds in Croker was '86 and then the RDS Arena in '89. Great times and they do still put on a great show, but the interest in them has dropped considerably. Losing Michael McNeill on keyboards didn't help. A pity.

Tears for Fears have made a storming comeback and are recording and touring big venues. Duran Duran never broke up, and over the last 12 years have been touring with 4 of the original 5 members. Headlined the EP in 2017. Despite the pre festival negativity, they brought the house down according to reviews. Alison Moyet is awesome. I think what stopped her being a megastar was being involved with Yazoo and her subsequent solo recording career which was far removed from her time in Yazoo.

Alison Moyet refused to sing any pop songs,she didnt want to be a puppet.She wanted to sing her own music.Which is a pity cause she could have been huge,really big in America,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I was never into Adam Ant during the early part of his career, but I applaud his contribution to music. Just when he started to appeal to me he was gone from the scene. This is actually my favourite song from him, including the same titled album. Mid 90s.

These days he has returned to the act that made him famous in the first place. Ant music just didn't do it for me though. But a top man anyway.
    That song is about Heather Graham his ex girlfriend. He has had some severe mental health issues but is producing new music

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Those shirts are regularly sold in the likes of Penny's. You see them becuase people like the look of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Those shirts are regularly sold in the likes of Penny's. You see them becuase people like the look of them.
    Imagine having no money for proper clothes and buying t-shirts with ****ty bands that you don't know who they even are lol.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Imagine having no money for proper clothes and buying t-shirts with ****ty bands that you don't know who they even are lol.

My sister has done it, by getting her son Metallica shirts becuase she liked the look of the skull design.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

My sister has done it, by getting her son Metallica shirts becuase she liked the look of the skull design.
    My point exactly poor chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I assumed that's from random celebrities wearing Slayer,Metallica,AC/DC etc t-shirts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

WTF! They are still going too!

Yep,
    Have seen em live twice in the last few years, both in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

The Kinks are back in harness again I hear, the Gallaghers had nothing on them when it came to fighting but what a great band, both in the early heavy rock days and in their later years.
    Lots of the Sixties bands are still on the club scene in the U.K. though not necessarily the same line ups. The Searchers, the Hollies, the Fortunes, the Merseys etc etc. and the reason is simple, the music was real, the bands could play and sing, they weren't produced in a studio and could go out and produce it on stage. A lot of the Irish Showbands were top class acts too except the music chosen for them was a bit yeuch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Got my ticket too for Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets, that should be a pleasant blast from the past reliving old Floyd classics from 1967 - 72 in April. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I'm gonna bring the thread down a bit folks - Bros. We need some serious grounding. A mate of mine worked on their documentary - After the screaming stopped, a few years ago. I was forced to watch it in my living room with him as he was all excited about his involvement. Apart from that, no probs, but Bros as an act? They wrote nothing and are on the comeback trail trying to re-arrange the original album to suit today's taste's.:D Manufactured rubbish trying to be something! IMO, probably one of the most put together, exploited and rode "bands" of the 80s. Poor lads.

That song is about Heather Graham his ex girlfriend. He has had some severe mental health issues but is producing new music

I read his autobiography years ago, that ended before he sorted himself out. Some life he had and glad to see him back and steady now. But he could have been massive!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I'm gonna bring the thread down a bit folks - Bros. We need some serious grounding. A mate of mine worked on their documentary - After the screaming stopped, a few years ago. I was forced to watch it in my living room with him as he was all excited about his involvement. Apart from that, no probs, but Bros as an act? They wrote nothing and are on the comeback trail trying to re-arrange the original album to suit today's taste's.:D Manufactured rubbish trying to be something! IMO, probably one of the most put together, exploited and rode "bands" of the 80s. Poor lads.

Good pop band. Lots of #2 singles. Was out in an '80s club one night and the DJ played the album version of When Will I Be Famous - rookie mistake as it really drags when compared to the concise 7" mix. Saw them in the Point Depot in December 1988 - brought my cousin. Manic stuff. Saw great gigs from The Wedding Present and The House Of Love in McGonagles about two months either side of Bros. Both also back on the circuit again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,934 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve seen the Stones live a few times. Indoor, amazing, outdoor, big stage etc...good mostly but not on the same level. Pushing 80 now, all bar Ron they’d be around 76, actually he’s 72, Charlie is 78... fûck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Toto. The best €49.95 you’ll ever spend.

I would definitely pay €49.95 to listen to them play Africa for 2 hours

Advertisement