Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pocket money

• 21-08-2015 3:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,902 ✭✭✭✭

Do u find it unusual that grown adults with jobs still get pocket money off there parents ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I know of no one who get money off there parents who are adults in gainful employment. Surely, the situation would be rather uncommon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Yes, I should find it most peculiar. And you're living in your father's house for about €350 a month? Some of ye youngfellas don't know ye're born. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

You must be paid shíte if you only pay €350 a month on bills and rent and are broke! either that or give up the crack

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Do u find it unusual that grown adults with jobs still get pocket money off there parents ???

It's only me and my dad in the house and I give him 50 a week and also about 150 or so a month (upc, credit card, ,esb etc). So it's the other way around for me. I get paid monthly and have little to spend on myself. I'm the only one working

So you pay about 350e per month for rent and bills? Not sure how you split food and shopping, but it sounds like he's giving you pocket money in the form of cheap rent and bills.

And yes, if someone is working and still getting pocket money from their parents it's weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

Dammit, I can see now that I clearly fell for a wum. Well played squire!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

My dad used to rabbit on about how he remembered the last 'bob' his dad ever gave him when he was 16.
    The same man continued trying to give me 'spends' well in to my 20s after I had a good salary of my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Jesus christ, guy makes a thread asking If parent's giving pocket money to working class adults Is strange, guy gets criticized for ONLY paying €350 a month to his parent when majority of people living with their parents don't pay a penny. OP you bad man, you're either working a sh1tty job or you're a sh1t child apparently...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

29 years old, living away from home for the past decade or so. I don't get "pocket money" as such from my parents, but they'll often slip a fifty or two in my pocket when they see me, I try to give it back but they want me to have it. Always spend it on nice things for their grandchild, and send them photos to show them, so I guess everyone's happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,902 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus christ, guy makes a thread asking If parent's giving pocket money to working class adults Is strange, guy gets criticized for ONLY paying €350 a month to his parent when majority of people living with their parents don't pay a penny. OP you bad man, you're either working a sh1tty job or you're a sh1t child apparently...

im going mad i got into anything illegal (drugs etc) lol becasue them guys are rich and still get dole id say. the real life nidges. Im too stingy to gamble or find it to risky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Milk the cnuts before they waste your inheritance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭my teapot is orange

Nobodys business but those concerned really. They're all grown adults entitled to do what they want with their money.

kneemos wrote: »
    Milk the cnuts before they waste your inheritance.

it can be quite sad in some cases. If a rich parent is dying and has had no contact with there children for years (children dont want contact with them etc) but then the kids come along after all those years and treat the parent like royalty just so they can get there inheritance.

another thing are these thai brides marrying for love or for something else ???

I don't think pocket money is the right way of putting it anyway if parents give you money to help you out.

I don't get regular money but I know if I was/am ever stuck for money they will help me instantly. Also my parents would never allow us (me or my siblings) to pay for meals, drinks etc if we are out or pay for accommodation if we were away together.

Also they would do stuff like go up and pay for clothes if I was out shopping and they were there or arrive home with random presents etc (often clothes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Kidults. It's a real thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

another thing are these thai brides marrying for love or for something else ???

It's so her extended family don't live in poverty.
    You marry the bride and her family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's only me and my dad in the house and I give him 50 a week and also about 150 or so a month (upc, credit card, ,esb etc). So it's the other way around for me. I get paid monthly and have little to spend on myself. I'm the only one working

So much here. You're not giving your dad pocket money but contributing towards your keep. You must have enough to spend on yourself if, as you said elsewhere, you are taking an early flight soon and the only concern is it's too early for a few beers.

Adults getting pocket money is fine if they are not working.

So much here. You're not giving your dad pocket money but contributing towards your keep. You must have enough to spend on yourself if, as you said elsewhere, you are taking an early flight soon and the only concern is it's too early for a few beers.

Adults getting pocket money is fine if they are not working.

im 25 for my age i dont have much compared to what some my age would have (10s of thousands in savings).

not much of a saver but i will come biting back at me one day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'd imagine paying rent to parents is something that only happens when the kids are taking the piss and leeching from them and spending whatever they earn recklessly on themselves with no regard for what they're getting from their parents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭catsbanter

I Know a guy at 27 and was still living at home getting 40k a year and this is in the south east where rent is half the price.

Friends asked him if he wanted to move in etc. and he said no, happy enough at home.

Roll on a two years later and he bought a lovely 3 bed house for himself with no mortgage on it for 110k. He didn't want us knowing how loaded he was. Parents were more than happy to help out as he was saving for a house and there loaded as well!

catsbanter wrote: »
    I Know a guy at 27 and was still living at home getting 40k a year and this is in the south east where rent is half the price.

Friends asked him if he wanted to move in etc. and he said no, happy enough at home.

Roll on a two years later and he bought a lovely 3 bed house for himself with no mortgage on it for 110k. He didn't want us knowing how loaded he was. Parents were more than happy to help out as he was saving for a house and there loaded as well!

some man. id imagine some people are so rich that they only work for something to do lol

• Advertisement

I'd imagine paying rent to parents is something that only happens when the kids are taking the piss and leeching from them and spending whatever they earn recklessly on themselves with no regard for what they're getting from their parents

Our kids handed up money when they started working. We didn't want it but they insisted. We put it all on deposit and gave it to them both when they married.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

im 25 for my age i dont have much compared to what some my age would have (10s of thousands in savings).

not much of a saver but i will come biting back at me one day.

I've never met a 25yr old with 10's of thousands in savings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I didn't really receive pocket money growing up, I got my first part-time job at 14 & had to hand up some of it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Yes.

Our kids handed up money when they started working. We didn't want it but they insisted. We put it all on deposit and gave it to them both when they married.

that's different though since they insisted and also because you gave it back, I've heard of that happening a lot, and also in the form of parents forcing it to be paid and they give it back when they're moving out in the form of paying deposits and first and last months rent of the new place and all that kind of stuff.

What I'm talking about is the weird relationship where parents actually do the pay or get out thing, like some sort of business transaction. It's just so far away from my idea of a healthy relationship where the kids are in a position where their parents think they're leeching from them or they actually are leeching from their parents.

Meanwhile those kinds of people have a chip on their shoulder about others getting money from their parents or not having to pay 'rent' when in reality that's a much more favourable position as long as there is no abuse or 'leeching'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I'm living independently and my rent is €360 a month for a double room in Dublin. Looking to downgrade to something in the €300 range to save some cash. Yes, I'm on a **** wage too.;)

What do you consider a decent rent price for someone at home? €700-900 might get you a nice room in an apartment with all mod cons but would the parents house be worth that price?

Also it'd be in the parents interest if the kids can scrape together a deposit so they can get out.
    smash wrote: »

I know. I only had the one 10,000 in savings at 25. Had to spend it on repeat college fees...:mad:

that's different though since they insisted and also because you gave it back, I've heard of that happening a lot, and also in the form of parents forcing it to be paid and they give it back when they're moving out in the form of paying deposits and first and last months rent of the new place and all that kind of stuff.

What I'm talking about is the weird relationship where parents actually do the pay or get out thing, like some sort of business transaction. It's just so far away from my idea of a healthy relationship where the kids are in a position where their parents think they're leeching from them or they actually are leeching from their parents.

Meanwhile those kinds of people have a chip on their shoulder about others getting money from their parents or not having to pay 'rent' when in reality that's a much more favourable position as long as there is no abuse or 'leeching'

Maybe the parents have plenty of money and are more than happy to help out!

AnywayWhen I had to move back home for a few months a few years ago they never wanted rent money, the bills were split in half and paid my share of the food. When I told them I'm moving back out they wanted me to stay and even offered me free bills and free food to try and keep me to stay!

it really depends on the financial situation of the family. i started work in 2008 while my mother and father were unemployed. when i was in college i was getting the grant/BTEA so i had to pay from that for up keep at home etc until college finished and i was only living on my wages. My mam passed away last year so that was money gone from the house and im the only one working now in the house other siblings have homes/kids etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Why would they need pocket money if they're earning?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

A relation of mine is always blabbing to his parents about how high is rent is, how expensive it is to live in Dublin etc...and taking money from them constantly....even saw him driving his dad's car for a few weeks.....his father told me sure I gave him the car he hasn't a bob.

And the little pr1ck would be out with us, lording it up, telling everyone his career was taking off and flashing the cash, new watch etc etc

Some people just take take take...

it really depends on the financial situation of the family. i started work in 2008 while my mother and father were unemployed. when i was in college i was getting the grant/BTEA so i had to pay from that for up keep at home etc until college finished and i was only living on my wages. My mam passed away last year so that was money gone from the house and im the only one working now in the house other siblings have homes/kids etc.

I'm not talking down on anyone who contributes money to their keep, the kind I'm talking about is people who have a chip on their shoulder because they were forced to and act like those who didn't have to are some kind of spoiled brat leeches

fair play and all that for what you've done, didn't mean to make it seem like I was saying you were doing anything wrong

+1 I find the concept of paying rent to live at home (a concept I never knew existed until I read about it in AH) totally bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I don't think pocket money is the right way of putting it anyway if parents give you money to help you out.

I don't get regular money but I know if I was/am ever stuck for money they will help me instantly. Also my parents would never allow us (me or my siblings) to pay for meals, drinks etc if we are out or pay for accommodation if we were away together.

Also they would do stuff like go up and pay for clothes if I was out shopping and they were there or arrive home with random presents etc (often clothes).

So you're a grown man with a good wage and you allow your parents to constantly buy you clothes and drink? Jesus, I'd actually die of shame. The mammied Irish son is alive and well anyway.

+1 I find the concept of paying rent to live at home (a concept I never knew existed until I read about it in AH) totally bizarre.

I had also never heard of paying rent to parents until boards. I was aware of the stigma against 'staying at home with mammy' from people who moved out for college but still bring their washing home for it to be done, and they live like a child in a dirty college digs where everyone refuses to clean the sink because they never did it at home :p

there's another reply with this 'mammied' crap, because the grown up thing to do is to cut your parents out of your life and be offended if they want to be nice to you. talk about repressed emotions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

smash wrote: »

You've never met my brother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Not if you've got a proper 'double-barrel' surname. If you're one of the Remington-Stone's, Harley-Foxford's or the Richmond-Wells then it's acceptable to receive a stipend from Pater or Mater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Why would they need pocket money if they're earning?
    They could be on minimum wage, the parents could be absolutely minted and want to see their children enjoy themselves. Rather than wait until they die and leave it as inheritance I could fully understand some wanting to give it when they are still alive and see the kids enjoy it, and possibly grandkids.

If people win the lottery you hear of them giving handouts to friends & relatives, many parents could have far more than a lottery win in the bank doing nothing, so much they don't know what to do with it or would not spend it themselves unless they did what they might consider squandering.

Many parents will pay towards a deposit on a house etc. I think all of this is quite normal, what is odd is calling it "pocket money", I really don't see much difference if it is a weekly thing, or once a decade, just sounds odd as "pocket money" sounds immature/childish.

Going by some people in this thread once you turn 18 parents shud not do a thing for ya and you should not even accept a Christmas present from them. If you do you should feel shame and be mortified and never step foot in public again and be sentenced to 100 lashes.

I don't live at home anymore but parents did help me out when I started my career in Dublin if I was a big short the end of month. I know they have a deposit on a house for me as well whenever I feel like buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

It's not actually paying rent, though.

It's contributing to the additional costs your parents incur by having you there - electricity, heating, food, etc.

It's grossly unfair to assume you should move home and not contribute, if you're in a position to do so.

It's contributing to the additional costs your parents incur by having you there - electricity, heating, food, etc.

It's grossly unfair to assume you should move home and not contribute, if you're in a position to do so.

Most parents won't take their kids money if in a decent financial position, or if they do will put it all in a savings account in your own name for you without telling you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Most parents won't take their kids money if in a decent financial position, or if they do will put it all in a savings account in your own name for you without telling you.

Most parents? Where did you get that from?

everyone is different the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'm only 20, still in college and only working part time, but I pay rent to my parents and cover the phone/tv/internet bill, also pay all of my own bills such as mobile, car insurance etc. It's only fair really, once you're 18 and you can fend for yourself you should be at least making some sort of contribution.

Girl I work with is 23, out of school since she's 16, never paid a penny to her parents, they pay for her holidays, her bills etc, always giving her money to go out, still making her bed and doing her washing/ironing, picking her up like a tazi service. Personally I wouldn't be able to do it, my parents don't owe me anything, if anything it's the opposite.

Nothing against anyone whose parents don't want rent/bills money and help out their children.

If the parents wants rent and their child won't contribute then should be thrown out!

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    I'm only 20, still in college and only working part time, but I pay rent to my parents and cover the phone/tv/internet bill, also pay all of my own bills such as mobile, car insurance etc. It's only fair really, once you're 18 and you can fend for yourself you should be at least making some sort of contribution.

Girl I work with is 23, out of school since she's 16, never paid a penny to her parents, they pay for her holidays, her bills etc, always giving her money to go out, still making her bed and doing her washing/ironing, picking her up like a tazi service. Personally I wouldn't be able to do it, my parents don't owe me anything, if anything it's the opposite.

If the parents have the money then who are you to criticizes this? Maybe the parents don't want a donation from her!

FTA69 wrote: »
    So you're a grown man with a good wage and you allow your parents to constantly buy you clothes and drink? Jesus, I'd actually die of shame. The mammied Irish son is alive and well anyway.

Where did I say constantly? Now and again not regularly and its not like I'm asking I'm not given a choice in the matter. I don't see the shame in it at all, they like to treat us when the opportunity arises. Some people appear to think all ties should be cut the minute you turn 18 :rolleyes:

I also help out a lot on the farm at home in my free time which is a lot of help to them and it involves travelling driving a fair distance for me.

There is a big difference between putting a bill in your name and doing the shopping some of the time which I would see as normal and handing over a few 100 a month every month as if you were renting a room in a houseshare. Maybe I find it so strange as the concept would be just as ridiculous to my parents as myself, if I tried to pay rent they wouldn't accept it in a fit.

I think many here will change their attitude when they have grown children of their own and have the means to help them when they are starting adult life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,824 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If somebody lives at home and doesn't contribute. I don't see the issue once the parents can afford it and the their child doesn't rub people's face in it.
    If somebody lives at home and pays their own way. I don't care as long as they don't go on about it "I got my first part time job and I've to give up my keep every week or else I'd be out the door."
    Once people are happy in their situation. I don't really care as long as they don't brag about it or moan about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

If the parents have the money then who are you to criticizes this? Maybe the parents don't want a donation from her!

Because she's a fully grown adult who's more than capable of making a living for herself and doesn't need handouts and to live in the lap of luxury from mammy and daddy?

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Because she's a fully grown adult who's more than capable of making a living for herself and doesn't need handouts and to live in the lap of luxury from mammy and daddy?

But, so what if she does? If that's someone's lifestyle then leave them to it. It's not harming you. If all parties to the situation are perfectly happy with it then don't begrudge them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement