Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 2600 meet first Friday of each month

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

gah! meant to drop in to this but it completely slipped my mind. Must mark my calendar for the next one.

I've been meaning to attend this for a long time.

One of the books i'm reading at the moment is The Best of 2600: A Hacker Odyssey (Hardcover), a really enjoyable and interesting read.

Hopefully sometime over the summer I can make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Most of us are on the #2600ie channel on irc.2600.netas well if you can't make it to the in-real-life meetings.....
    NoDrama wrote: »
    I've been meaning to attend this for a long time.

One of the books i'm reading at the moment is The Best of 2600: A Hacker Odyssey (Hardcover), a really enjoyable and interesting read.

Hopefully sometime over the summer I can make it up.

We are meeting tonight!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭pauld1

these still hapening ?

• Advertisement

Yeah, next meeting is this Friday { 01-10-10 }.
    pauld1 wrote: »
    these still hapening ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

:O

01-10-10 could be taken as 011010 which looks like a binary number and can be converted to decimal 26 which can be written as 26.00

cue spooky/nerdy music :) (hehe, as I wrote that the theme tune to Rick Dangerous just started up in my head )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

hello

Any meetings in Galway or the west of Ireland ?

I see from website one was proposed in Galway back in 2007. How did it go?

How many go to Dublin meeting?

thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You could set up your own meet

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Of course, you are all white hats, yes I know...hacking only for knowledge as was the great Kevin Mitnick! Question, If you hack a red hat linux box, does that make you a red hat hacker? :rolleyes: But seriously folks...:D

Well, if you were a white hat to begin with you would blend with the red hat and become pink.:pac:

thankyuhverramuch...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭superelliptic

Hey guys, will there be a meet happening at the start of January '11? I'd like to start going to these if they are still being run.

Thanks!

Hey,

There should be one of the 7th and since alot of the regular people are going to 27c3 and/or BerlinSides it should be a good one....

We normally wait out side Tower Records until 19:30 and then head to Pub { or cafe is some are under 18}.
    Hey guys, will there be a meet happening at the start of January '11? I'd like to start going to these if they are still being run.

Thanks!

Meeting is Today from 19:00 outside Tower Records and then at 19:30 we will head down to Porter House in Temple Bar.

Next Meeting is in 2 days time !!!

Come join us for $F00d, $B33r and $Talk.....

Don't forget there is a meeting today!!!!!

2600IE

Only one day till the @2600 Dublin meeting. Meet by phonebooths on Wicklow St {Tower Records} from 19:00 till 19:30; then off for beer/food

http://twitter.com/#!/2600ie

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭schrodinger

Been reading back through this thread and it really doesn't say enough about the 2600 meetings, not in recent posts at least. Nothing but beer, food, beer, food and other similar words.

I thought I'd kick off some discourse or at least kill some time in work.

The following is a recent excerpt from the #2600ie IRC channel with everyone else's nick names removed.
    01:39 < xxxxxxxx> So how would you rate the 2600 meets in dublin? Good, decent, shameful?
    01:40 <@schrodinger&gt; Ranging from good to decent.
    01:40 < yyyyyyyy> in what regards to drinks
    01:40 <@schrodinger&gt; I'm sure has seemed shameful but we're guaranteed at least some of the same people always there so we enjoy it. It might seem shameful to a new person.
    01:40 <@schrodinger&gt; yyyyyyyy: :P
    01:41 < xxxxxxxx> I gotcha
    01:41 < xxxxxxxx> What about the skill level?
    01:41 < yyyyyyyy> joking, I've only made it wice..
    01:41 <@schrodinger&gt; We tend to discuss much more at a meet than do something practial.
    01:41 < xxxxxxxx> I see
    01:41 <@schrodinger&gt; the problem being having the meets in different places
    01:42 <@schrodinger&gt; and then not wanting to always do somethig in particular in front of people you might not know or necessarily want in on something. But then you don't want to have the "secret meeting" in the corner either
    01:42 <@schrodinger&gt; I was only thinking about this recently
    01:43 < yyyyyyyy> heh, right after the "oracle incident"?
    01:43 < xxxxxxxx> Ah yes
    01:43 <@schrodinger&gt; and I think the meets have become a review of the months progress between people on the same projects and then people discussing their respective projects with other people / friends who aren't all involved in the same thing
    01:43 <@schrodinger&gt; yyyyyyyy: LOL!
    01:44 <@schrodinger&gt; xxxxxxxx: What I'm trying to sugar coat and make sound impressive is that we all meet in the pub with laptops and get trashed messing and chatting al night so long as there is power and Internet.
    01:45 <@schrodinger&gt; We tend to go to the same place for most meets and either stay there all night or we eventually diminsh in numbers and head to another boozer
    01:45 < xxxxxxxx> Sounds like all the other 2600's ive been to. Good :)
    01:46 <@schrodinger&gt; At this stage it's been primarily 18+ age group for a long time now so the problem with alcohol hasn't come up in years.
    01:46 <@schrodinger&gt; Only one or two who don't drink but they still go. We tend to all have dinner and pints when we head out.
    01:47 < xxxxxxxx> Nice
    01:47 <@schrodinger&gt; It's gotten more attention in the pub since some people started to bring in some electronics sets and LED displays. Always good for a look
    01:47 < xxxxxxxx> Haha
    01:48 <@schrodinger&gt; You still get the odd drunken shams giving you lip for being in a pub on a computer. "Would you not turn it off and ejoy yourself?"
    01:48 <@schrodinger&gt; Never going to forget that bloke
    01:48 <@schrodinger&gt; Enemy

So what does all this boil down to? Well a bunch of hackers in a pub enjoying themselves. Everyone from long time friends to completely new faces who all seem to enjoy the night. Some folk even return for a second night! And 'hacker' is every type of hacker. Information security, systems, networking, electronics, radio, wireless systems in general, physical security and lots more. We've had all sorts of demos, coding, politics, making, key signings and even contests at the meetings.

I remember a good while back I asked someone who didn't attend the meetings but was interested in information security, why they didn't come along to the meetings. The response I got back was. "2600, sure that's just a bunch of kids in McDonald's wearing hoodies."

He's dead now.

If this is the opinion of some people, fine - people are entitled to their own stupid opinion but thankfully we live in a universe where opinion doesn't always imply fact.

So with that I remind everyone that there is another Dublin 2600 meeting coming to a paranoid audience near you soon. Specifically Friday, July 1st, 2011.

http://dublin.2600.ie/

As stated we meet on the first Friday of every month at the public pay phones outside Tower records on Wicklow St. Dublin. http://dublin.2600.ie/map.php We show up at the phones at 19:00 and we wait there until 19:30 for anyone who might be running late. From there we go to a pub of our choosing which has not always been decided upon before hand as it might have been indicated in previous posts. It's difficult to book somewhere when you don't have an exact figure of attendees. We tend to find quiet bars with free wifi, power sockets and friendly staff.

If you want to come along but won't make the pay phones for 19:00 - 19:30 then just drop me a PM.

Hope to see some new faces at the next meeting. We'll throw up another reminder next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I was only at a meeting once, but it was great (always meant to go back, but haven't got a chance yet) It was 4 years ago, give or take.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jester`

We have a solid group of people that have attended on and off for the last 10 years. Great group of people, good chance to shoot the breeze about stuff you may not normally be able to talk to with your mates/other-half :p. We all long to find the special some....

Great chance to talk about with a career option or a college direction before taking the leap. We have give people lots of advice and answers over the years :-)

Jester

2600 Member

(dam no sig's unless 25+ posts)

You also need at least 20 posts to turn up to the meeting :P

Anyway we hope to see more people turn up this Friday.

/me taps the sign.

Don't make me play "Rebecca Black - Friday"

No seriously, please don't. See you all on Friday.

• Advertisement

Last weeks meeting went very well with about 12 in attendance. Two of which were new faces. Hope to see you all again next month and hope to see some more new faces.

Don't forget that the 2600 Dublin & Belfast meetups are on today from 19:00.

We normally wait by the phone booths beside Tower Records on Wicklow Street till 19:30 then head to a venue.

PM me or if you are on Twitter @2600ie if you are running late and want to know where we lend up.

Next Meeting is tonight at 19:30!!!

Advertisement