Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pumps.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Yes, rising fast now.

But reached well over €1000 per 1000l in 2011, when many were broke and minimum fill dropped to 200l. So it could well hit 1300-1400 levels per 1000l when you adjust for purchasing power a decade ago.

In addition, the euro purchasing power is going through the floor, even faster than the 40% it's lost since 2002-2020(statista.com). So buy all that you can now. Just took delivery of 4000l of kero at 67.5cpl. Did similar in April 2020.

I just bought 10 drums of paraffin /Tozane and it's gone up 10% to €39 for 20L. Container costs, shipping costs, labour costs, alternative energy concerns (electricity) and of course oil costs are all feeding into higher prices and a little bit of gouging soon too.

Petrol and diesel could easily see €2 p.l. in contrast to what @Darc19 has stated, as there is every danger of crude hitting $120+ a barrel.

Measured in real money, i.e gold and silver, most assets and tangibles are steady or indeed falling. Including property. Measured in currency, prices of everything will keep rising for now. So buy whatever you need and liquidate your cash.

We shall see what way the penny drops :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Waze doesn't know if you're a passenger or not, I guess it doesn't want you typing while driving but I've never tried updating fuel prices while moving, except walking (which works fine). You can be anywhere within 50 metres of the station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

YEah never going to get it updated by the time we are 50m past the station. I used to do that with pumps.ie as a passenger. Couldnt be bothered trying to do it with waze anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭zg3409

In terms of fuel prices the government has committed to adding 2c/L every budget for next 10 years, and similar carbon taxes hit gas, and electricity. Rising prices are inevitable.

I switched to an electric car for my 110km round trip commute and I am saving about 80% compared to petrol prices and half price tolls. There are downsides so do your research.

Some people now charge their EV using home solar panels, so no need to purchase the rising electricity, although my Ev only cost 400 per year to fill so I did not bother and car is not home daytime to soak up the rays. Definitely insulating home and working from home to reduce commute is a great way to save. Home heating daytime though can eat any savings. I am moving home to be closer to work to reduce commute to nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭deezell

WFH fried my head. Hit retirement during lockdown, first thing I did was deleted teams from my phone. Audi are winding down ICE cars from 2026, no new models after that. https://www.audiworld.com/articles/official-new-audis-to-be-all-electric-starting-in-2026/?utm_source=2021923h&

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

why are oil prices sky rocketing now?? - is it because the western economy is opening up after the pandemic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭Miscreant

It's because oil demand is up and OPEC producers are not increasing their output to match at the moment. I think they are trying to recoup what they "lost" due to low demand during the various lockdowns around the world. Apparently there may be an increase in production early next year but don't hold your breath on energy prices coming down too fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

As said OPEC are trying to raise the price, IIRC Saudi needs about $65 a barrel to break even and more if they want to keep their people from revolting. But the problem is that the more they raise the oil prices the high cost producers in the USA come back in and drive the prices down again.

Thank G for fracking oil in America! No point thanking A, he belongs to the Saudis. They're the crowd that butchered, literally, the journalist Khashoggi in their embassy. Do they have an embassy here? Do they have a dept of agriculture licence to use the building as an abattoir? Revolting is right.

There's a lot more at play than simple supply and demand.

Oil is(was) bought and sold using the petro dollar. That's the basis of American hegemony. It's slipping away fast. Saudi Arabia and Nigeria both signed bilateral deals with Russia a few days after USA withdrew from Afghanistan. China also has started buying oil from Russia in yuan and roubles, bypassing the dollar.

Adding fuel to the fire is the incessant printing of funny money by Fed, ECB, Bank of England, Bank of Japan. That is what causes price increases, nothing else. Supply issues are minor in comparison.

If you want to stay ahead of rising oil, buy gold (or silver). Gold and oil always track together.

Ps to another user, Middle East oil makes its way to Europe. Unless you are burning American lube oil in your car, or driving electric, you too are complicit in Mr Kashoggi's fate. The USA doesn't take much, if any, oil from the Middle East. They control it to control the petrodollar and protect Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭d15ude

Gold is down 6% YoY in EURO --- Oil is up 78%!

Not really tracking together in my book.

If you want to stay ahead of rising oil, not buy gold buy shares in big oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paulphillips

Hi guys!

Just thought I'd share my version of pumps.ie which is live now! https://pumpspy.ie

It's a much faster, stable and responsive site than the original.

I only have stations in Co. Clare up at the moment. Give the facebook page a follow though for updates on new stations being added! https://www.facebook.com/Pumpspyie-111661901293055/

This thread was the original inspiration for the app so I hope you guys are impressed by what I've put together!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Is there an option for members to add price's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭mikeecho

How can we assist in adding new stations and prices in other counties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I see a sign up option so maybe you click that. (didn't do it myself) so I do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paulphillips

If you sign up for an account you can edit the prices by clicking the edit button near the price you wish to change:

As far as other counties goes, the site is currently being rolled out slowly and there are other features I wish to add before I start adding more counties & stations across the country. The approach I've taken is to add and curate the stations myself. I'll keep you guys posted though when more locations are added!

Oil and gold are correlated, it's a trading fact, regardless of the snapshot that you have chosen that happens to show otherwise. Read zerohedge perhaps and begin to think in a longer frame.

You can of course buy into oil but you'll be buying in via currency which, if you follow great minds like Ray Dalio, he will say as of now that you should be very mindful of how these commodity profits are being expressed. In dollars, in euro, in sterling. i.e how your measuring prices. Not value.

It's not complicated.

You can't avoid consumer prices going up, and they will keep going up while wages WILL lag. This is the case since the early 70s. Study the nature of 'money' more.

You have 3 options. Use less, buy at sharpest price what you must (what this thread is about) and much more importantly, and thirdly, improve your buying power of your earned money via precious metals. Nothing ever changes. Events cycle, that's all.

Anyway, off-thread at this point. But worth reflecting on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭scotchy

Its going to be a long time before you get to Dublin, Isn't it?

😥

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

It's going to be a long time before he does any other county. He should really let users add them as it would get the site going really quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭EarWig

Petrol €1.60.9 .......at Go on the Kylemore road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭Miscreant

They will be out the door at that price! At least 12c cheaper than most places in Dublin at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Possibly an error, or maybe they are getting in on Black Friday.

The station is owned by Cox's who are a big wholesaling and retail business that has been around for years (they also own mount brown emo and cox's wholesale in Newbridge along with stud farms and other businesses).

Oil prices did start falling back a little in the last couple of weeks and falling further today, so at least the general trajectory will be downwards again and sub 1.60 / 1.70 diesel/petrol will probably be seen next week in many stations

No error. Saw it with my own eyes. And the place was packed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

No error. Filled up last Monday at 160.9 for petrol. It was busy but I drove straight to a pump. No delay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Buffman

Ye, that Go is normally among the cheapest in Dublin. Definitely worth a small detour for a full tank as it's close enough to the M50, N7 & N4.

It's worth keeping an eye on Circle K Westway up the road also, they normally price match Go within a cent or 2, so if you have a fuel card, you'll get it cheaper again.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

TOP on the South Link Rd (cork... where else !!! )

€1.519 Diesel.

€1.619 Petrol.

And if you've a fuel card, you'll get another 4¢ off

Currently 1.499 for diesel.

And 1.599 for petrol.

In a few stations in cork.

Top Sth Link, Texaco Model Farm Rd., And Lee Garage on the same rd.

There doesn't seem to be much urgency for other stations to drop their prices... It's been almost 2 weeks since this cheaper fuel starting hitting the forecourts,(GO,Kylemore rd) I don't believe that all these other busy stations have gone 10 days/ 2 weeks without a fresh delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Oil prices had the big drop on Friday 26th November from about lunchtime when New York trading opened.

That's just a week ago - not two weeks.

Go was an individual situation that they were using it as a marketing gimmick

Lower prices do seem to be feeding into the market a lot quicker than usual and the coming week looks like it will see big drops.

Going by historical trends of increases and decreases, it would normally have been week of 13th that the big drop occurred.

This type of false information that it is "2 weeks" is what feeds into a false thinking that prices rise quicker than they fall. - Feel free to do a correlation between oil prices and forecourt prices. Both are very freely available.

The decision by OPEC+ to increase production as planned means the coming price reductions are probably not temporary.

The Saudis want to repair relations with the US.

https://www.cnbc.com/quotes/@LCO.1

• Advertisement

I stand by what I said.. it has been 10 days/ 2 weeks since this cheaper fuel hit our forecourts... I used GO as an example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,422 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Is diesel illegal ?

So what tops me getting an ISO Tank of diesel from Venezuela, paying the taxes and vat on it when it arrives here. Technically that's legal.

I mean 20,000 litres there is 200 dollars.

What are you a billionaire. Your telling me your going to charter a ship over of oil, all for that small barrel. You would spend far more money doing that than paying €5 a litre here even if it cost that much.

Also what you are planning on doing is illegal by the government. The majority of what we pay at the pumps go to them not the petrol station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Buffman

I've been trying to update a few Waze stations lately but it won't let me as the prices are up so much since they were last entered that the App says I'm trying to enter inaccurate prices!🤣😂

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭harmless

If Toby says he will pay tax and duty on it why would it be illegal? Once declared correctly customs can invoice him before it is released. I doubt you would have to charter a ship, just find a company that is willing to transport containers with flamible liquids.

But you are right it would cost many many times the price of just going to your local pump.

An iso tank is a shipping container for liquids. Venezuela to Ireland is direct, no different than Ireland to New York.

A shipping container from Venezuela to Ireland is 2k .20,000 liters of diesel is 200 . 2200 plus 0.48 cent a litre tax.

I'm not saying I'd do it, I'm just saying it's not Cocaine, it's diesel, so technically one could do it. Diesel is not illegal to own.

Could you just restate the maths so it makes sense? Which figure is litres, €, etc. Is the 0.48 cent meant to be €0.48, i.e, 48 cent?

An ISO tank holds 20,000L , tax on diesel is 0.53 cent a liter actually, not 0.48

So 20,000L X 0.53 = 10,600 duty + 2000 for shipping, + 200 for the diesel. = 12,800 for 20,000 liters of diesel.

or is it. I'm just thinking out loud. I just don't see why it would be illegal , and if the figures worked out so much cheaper then why is it not possible.

• Advertisement

I'm sure if it was as easy as that someone with money and knows they will make more money would have done it by now if you were able but I'm leaning on the side that there is restrictions in place to prevent doing it.

Ah, that's the thing. '' you can't do that'' Irish love saying that, but does the law say I can't.

there is a fuel shortage in Venezuela.

You could end up paying anything from €0.50 to $5.00 for a litre.

Anyway. If you did buy your cheap fuel, there are more costs than just the shipping.

You'll also have to pay for the ISO tank.

You'll have port fees on both sides, and you'll also have to arrange and pay for transport to the dock. And from the dock.

Also.... Would the fuel meet eu standards ?

https://stratasadvisors.com/Insights/2019/022819-Top-100-Diesel-Sulfur-Ranking

i don't think so., Its sulphur levels are off the scale

I think it's a non runner, but I would really love to see someone try it... U could even dye it and and use it as heating fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The notional cheap price you're quoting is a subsided price for residents, not for exporters.

Venezuela is partially embargoed by the EU

Their oil is reknownedly poor quality and needs to be blended with higher quality oil to be usable. There is no way it would meet EU standards unmodified

It likely isn't B7 either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

IIRC duty us also charged on the shipping cost. I could be wrong it's over 15 years since I dealt with imports.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Don't forget the VAT which is charged on the transport cost as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Debub

Diesel: Amber (opp Jaguar showroom) - the one with the Supermac's, in Cork had the cheapest that I have seen in the last few days - was 1.55 yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Yesterday, in Campus Dunshaughlin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Didn't Dublin Bus do something like this years ago? They used to buy different more sulphurs diesel for their fleet as it was cheaper, got knocked on the head by EU emissions laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭zg3409

I know some large businesses/quarries have their own diesel tanks or mobile fuel trucks for storage and to get to machines. This may cut the cost a bit as you would be buying in bulk. Home heating oil in a diesel car is illegal, but some people fill car from home heating oil tank, but some burners are kerosene (newer) or gas oil (older). Neither is expected to be good for modern engines, and if stopped you will get a fine around 1000 euro. Customs do spot checks, particularly at farm type events such as the ploughing championship or mart days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement