Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I was out in Celbridge the other day and decided to check out the new routes there for the craic. Yes I had time on my hands!

I was out by Oakleigh if anyone knows it, so going to Hazelhatch station was fine once I timed the L59, bit of a gap in timing but however. The bus back seems to be random, and certainly doesn't meet the commuter train times much AFAICS, but I'm only an amateur at this bus connects lark. Great service to Grand Canal Dock though for sure with the bus connection from Oakleigh/Maynooth.

One thing I couldn't figure out though was why there is no circular route in Celbridge. What I mean is a route that serves Maynooth and the Clane/Shackleton roads into the town and out the other side by Tesco and back again. That bus route could connect with W61 also coming from Maynooth via Salesians to Hazelhatch, AND the C4 into the city.

As it is, to get to the city I would have to get the L59 to English Row, get off, walk up the street, cross over and get the C4, and their timings do not appear to match much!

I don't live out there, so forgive me if I am missing something obvious. Seems like a bit of a trek if you live Clane Road direction. Is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

So the O bus won't be running and the 46a will be gone? Or does she mean the southern part of 46a will be gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I'd imagine the O route will be running before the E-spine is launched. This seems to be a Finglas area councillor so is only mentioning changes for their constituents.

The southern part of the 46a will still be there under the E2 south of the Liffey.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Yes the O would have to launch before the E Spine, otherwise there would be no bus along part of the NCR currently served by the 46A.

This is my guess as to what will happen with each of the next few phases:

Southern Orbitals:

New routes: S2, S4, S6, S8, W2, 74 and L25

Cancelled: 17, 17d, 18, 61, 75, 75a, 76, 76a and 175

F Spine:

New routes: F1, F2, F3, F9, 71, 80, 82 and L89

• F1 likely to operate to IKEA per 140 route from Charlestown until E Spine launches;
    • F2 to operate to 150 terminus at Rossmore rather than Spawell as per original plan;
    • 80 to operate from Liffey Valley SC to Palmerston Park until A Spine launches
    • 82 to operate to 54a terminus at Kiltipper until D Spine launches
    • L89 to operate to/from Broombridge

Cancelled: 26, 40, 40b, 49, 54a, 56a, 140, 150; Southern half of route 9; Southern half of routes 83 & 83a

O Route:

No other changes (it is possible however that the northern half of the 46a might be cancelled at this stage)

E Spine:

New routes: E1, E2, E9, N2, 19, 23, 24, L1, L2, L3, L12, L14, L15, L26, L27, X1, X2, P11, P12, P13, P16

Amended: Route F1 may change to terminate at Charlestown

Cancelled: 7b, 7d, 9, 46a, 46e, 63, 63a, 83, 83a, 84, 84a, 84x, 116, 118, 145, 155, 184, 185; Northern half of route 4; Northern half of route 11; Northern half of route 13

Post edited by LXFlyer on

Most people out the Clane Road would use the X27 at peak times, and the GAI route 120 into the city at other times - it costs EUR 2.24 using LEAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Buffman

Ye, the L58/L59/W61 don't meet trains at Hazlelhatch and it's almost like they were timetabled to avoid as many trains as possible.

The L59 does cross the C4 again on the Maynooth road in North Celbridge but timings can be messy. The L59 & 52 'Intel express' combo is also an option if timed right which can sometimes be quicker into Dublin than a C4 as it skips Lucan village.

Outside of the X27 times, a lot of people on the Clane Road side of Celbridge would use the GAI 120 to get to Dublin. It's quicker as English Row is it's last 'pickup' stop inbound.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L bottles or bigger to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

I thought that 80 is to terminate at Ballinteer. What is the amendment about? Palmerston Park is close to Milltown so then the 80 would be drastically shortened on the Southern part of Dublin. What would cover the part from Ballinteer to Palmerston Park then?

You have to keep remembering that this is being delivered in phases, and that service and frequencies have to be maintained through each phase.

The 14 will continue to operate to and from Dundrum until the A Spine phase happens - otherwise frequency in Rathmines would be cut.

The 80 will extend south in two phases.

(1) Replacing the 140 to Palmerston Park at the F Spine phase

(2) Replacing the 14 to Ballinteer at the A Spine phase

OK here are what I reckon will happen with the remaining phases.

D Spine:

New routes: D1, D2, D3, D4, D5, D9, 8, 10, 20, 21, 58, 72, 73, L56, L80, L81, L91, X47, X55, X56, X58, X78

Amended: 82 changed to terminate at Killinarden.

Cancelled: 13, 27, 27a, 27b, 27x, 32x, 42, 43, 51d, 51x, 53, 53a, 68, 68a, 68x, 69, 69x, 77a, 77x, 102, 104, 123, 130, 151; Northern half of route 14, Northern half of route 15, Southern half of route 122

A Spine:

New routes: A1, A2, A3, A4, A9, 22, 81, 85, L44, L82, L83, L85, P18, P43, P44, X76, X77, X79, X83, X84

Amended: Route 80 extended from Palmerston Park to Ballinteer

Cancelled: 1, 14, 15, 15a, 15b, 15d, 16, 33, 33a, 33b, 33d, 33x, 41, 41b, 41c, 41d, 41x, 65, 65b, 142; Northern half of 44

B Spine:

New routes: B1, B2, B3, B4, N8, 34, 35, 36, 37 (new), 48, 98, L11, L21, L22, L61, L62, L63, L64, P11, P12, P63, P64, P65, X61, X62

Cancelled: 4, 7, 7a, 37 (old), 38, 38a, 38b, 38d, 39, 39a, 39x, 40d, 40e, 45a, 45b, 59, 70, 111, 120, 122, 220, 220a, 236, 236a, 238, 270

Final Phase:

New routes: 86, 87, 88, L13, L33, L35

Cancelled: 11, 44, 44b, 47, 114, 161

Post edited by LXFlyer on

Cheers for that. I noticed while I was waiting for the L59 at Oakleigh that the 120 came along alright, but it was full and only let people off. Other passengers waiting said it's common for this to happen. A long wait awaits then!

I wasn't using peak services, but I take your point that many do.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Next time I'm out that way I'll give the L59/52 combo a go and see what happens!

See my post above, seems that the 120 is hit and miss for capacity at pick up stops though. A full bus sailing by is no problem if there is another in five/ten minutes, but that's not the case for the 120 from what I can see. Must be so frustrating for waiting passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭john boye

Would largely agree but I have to ask what's the point of a temporary Rossmore replacement for the 150 given that there's no Bus Connects replacement in that area?

The current 150 terminus at Rossmore is, I understand, going to be the permanent terminus for the F2. It's seemingly not going to terminate at Spawell Roundabout, but will follow the 150 route to Rossmore from Wellington Lane.

Bear in mind there are likely going to be minor changes to the original plan (as we have seen already in each phase), mainly from a practical perspective. The F2 needs layover space - that's freely available at Rossmore terminus, and not on Wellington Lane where it would conflict with the cycle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭john boye

Ah I see I read that wrong! It would make sense especially given how chronic traffic can be at that roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Qrt

Does anyone have the fare stages for the new routes, GAI specifically? It’s insane the way they’re just keeping the information to themselves, and I’d much rather not to have to do an FOI request. Second time I’ve heard arguments on the bus today about drivers not knowing the fares, or point blank saying the short fare doesn’t exist and telling people to use the right-hand validator.

I imagine that GAI will simply email them out if you ask them?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Why are the northern part of 11 and 13 cancelled before launch of A-spine? Drumcondra will lose 2 frequent routes with no apparent replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

the 11 and 13 are cancelled as part of E spine as they originate from there. loosing the 11 route that not crawling through Phibsboro is blow to our area. drumcondra will indeed loose a lot of busses.

Remember that the 19 will replace some of the 11 services.

It’s quite possible that either the 1 or the northern half of the 44 would see a temporary frequency increase to compensate for the loss of the 13 in Drumcondra.

This is a moving feast - I wouldn’t base everything on existing service patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateconnection

With regard to the Southern orbital routes, I've seen a good few out of service buses on Nutgrove Avenue the last few weeks, more than I normally see. I'm thinking they're doing driver route familiarisation or route timing for the new S6?

Some new stops on the routes haven't got bus stop signs and poles installed yet, surely an announcement for these new routes is due any day now, only about a month until the original planned start date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I would like to know about an announcement date for the southern orbitals as well.

I would have thought that some of the recent rumours circulating here recently about the start of the southern orbitals being postponed until late October or late November would have made a lot of sense due to the ongoing shortage of drivers. Is the plan to rollout the Southern orbitals in late September still credible from the NTA's point of view if there are enough drivers in place to rollout that new phase very soon?

I'm still going with the theory that this next phase of the project won't happen until I see a BusConnects leaflet from the NTA being placed in my letterbox that will show us the official new rollout date for it.

I still haven't seen any out of service buses out in my part of Dublin doing sort of any driver training yet for my local routes for the Southern Orbitals which covers the S8 and L25. I was out doing grocery shopping at Dunnes at the Playwright which is going to be served by the S8 a few days ago. No out of service buses were out doing training for that part of the route earlier this week.

Both the S6 and S8 will have their stops located at the Square in Tallaght. It would have added a lot of weight to the argument that if there was route training taking place for the S6. It could have been done for the S8 as well if GAI had a spare bus and driver out doing that route for training purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

not really. as per the frequency table, the 19 runs every 60min!!!

I doubt the O will be delivered before March, the single deck buses have not arrived yet and there's no charging infrastructure for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Update on the Phoenix Park shuttle, they're installing the stops now so should be starting within a couple of months!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Is it not Phibsborough depot thats looking after the O route ? The installation of their charging infrastructure is well underway and they're meant to start using the electric buses by October.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

The O route (nor the N2 ) will not compensate for the loss of the 46a NCR and phibsboro sections. Neither the O or the N2 go where the 46a customers starting from those places are going.

Badly run as the spine consultations have been, there has been none at all on these.

These routes are often loaded to 50% easily before Hanlons corner. Stand any morning at the Hanlons corner stops and look.

I wasn't aware, thanks for the update. Hopefully they get the drivers for it. NTA needs to put out an updated roll out schedule.

Yes there was - there were two full rounds of consultation on the revised network, which took into account all aspects of it, and which received a massive response from the public.

if there’s one thing that the NTA cannot be accused of is a lack of consultation on the revised network.

Remember that the O will still serve the city centre at Connolly Station. It will connect with every spine and the two LUAS lines with no fare penalty using LEAP. I very much doubt that every person on a 46a is going to the same place - people are going to where they go to on the 46a because that’s where the 46a goes.

Well there was 3 rounds of consultation on the whole network change actually.

But agreed it's a delicate set up as is and there are gaps of up to 40 minutes between 46a's at present. maybe if that can be resolved by the O that'd be better, I've noticed a lot of people change onto/off the 46a at phibsboro. Ultimately it's a matter of infrastructure. There needs to be a bus gate through Phibsboro and an end of through traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

"if there’s one thing that the NTA cannot be accused of is a lack of consultation." I can and will happily do so. There was no local advertisement at all for the local spine first and second consultations, and the third they reluctantly put up notices and had hurried meetings ( and ignored all feedback from individuals and residents groups ) . They put flyers through doors with the wrong spine - I got Howth spine flyer consultations when I live nowhere near it, and hoped residents would not notice.

The only reason I post updates for spine corridors now is because I subscribed to the NTA updates, because its the only way you can keep up - they cannot seem to do local communication at all.

But for the O and N2 - nothing all all

Advertisement