Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2016 qualification

• 09-09-2012 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭

I know it's a ways away, given that WC2014 qualification only started the other day, but there have been some interesting developments that I'd like to hear other people's opinions on.

As we all know by now, there will be 24 teams at the next Euros (for better or worse), so 23 qualifiers plus hosts France. While qualification could have continued as is, it looks like Platini wants to change it up - at least according to my mate in Switzerland's account of this weekend's paper over there.

What's being discussed, apparently, is 4 pots rather than 6 for seeding. Pot 1 being 1-12, 2 being 13-24, 3 being 25-36, and then pot 4 containing the other 16 teams, divided as follows: Pot 4A - 37-40, Pot 4B - 41-44, Pot 4C - 45-48 and Pot 4D as 49-52.

Teams in Pot 4A will be safe, and teams from the other three will be drawn into 4 groups of 3, to be played out over 1 week (possibly in 1 host country per group), with the top 2 making the main draw.

From there, it'll be 12 groups of 4, the winners, and best 11 runners up qualifying directly for the finals.

However, Platini is apparantly also keen on the other teams playing a home and away friendly series against another team from their pot while the minnows battle it out, with the results of this initial stage being CARRIED INTO THE GROUP!!!.

It's a little bit daft in my opinion, especially the last bit. Current scenario is grand, but I do like the idea of the minnows playing off to give us even numbers in the groups. Playing teams of their own standard will give them realistic goals to acheive. I feel a team like Andorra is screwed by the current set up, as they are probably better than a handful of countries from the Carribean, Asia and Oceania, but as they only ever play teams in Europe that are streets ahead, they never pick up world ranking points. A prelim may allow them to do that. I don't think they'd get through, but who knows?

Given current rankings, Ireland would be pot 1. Worst draw would be: Ukraine, Armenia, Bulgaria. Best would be (assuming teams 49-52 are eliminated): Israel, Norn Iron and Luxembourg. We'd be hoping to play Greence in our double-header.

It's mind boggling...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,737 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Platini is away with the fairies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,507 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

My brain hurts.

Not OP's, but Platini's fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I'd be in favour of anything that keeps the likes of San Marino out of the qualifying groups (or more precisely anything that makes them earn a spot in the group).

BTW, I don't get the bit about
    However, Platini is apparantly also keen on the other teams playing a home and away friendly series against another team from their pot while the minnows battle it out, with the results of this initial stage being CARRIED INTO THE GROUP!!!.

How is it a friendly series if the results are carried into the group?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

so the minnow league is actually only going to get rid of 3 teams???? pointless then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,271 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So there is 52 teams, why not have the bottom 12 play off to make it down to 46, then an open draw with those 46 teams for a two legged tie for the 23 spots, would be far less international breaks which would be good.

• Advertisement

So there is 52 teams, why not have the bottom 12 play off to make it down to 46, then an open draw with those 46 teams for a two legged tie for the 23 spots, would be far less international breaks which would be good.
    1. barely any competitive matches then resulting in lots of friendlies
    2. open draw would rob us of seeing some of the best teams in the euros, its already going to be a watered down comp.
    3. whats wrong with international breaks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

tolosenc wrote: »
    From there, it'll be 12 groups of 4, the winners, and best 11 runners up qualifying directly for the finals.
    Would much prefer to see 12 winners, best 10 runners up, with the 11th and 12th playing off. Always seems wrong to me to have a system (as in the WC qualifying) that eliminates a team for being a slightly poorer runner-up than other runners up, without taking into account the difficulty/shape of the group. With only 6 gamedays per group, theres no problem slotting in a playoff.
    tolosenc wrote: »

I'm not sure I understand this at all :confused: They aren't friendlies if they 'count', if they are friendlies then you'll pick opposition outside your group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Would much prefer to see 12 winners, best 10 runners up, with the 11th and 12th playing off. Always seems wrong to me to have a system (as in the WC qualifying) that eliminates a team for being a slightly poorer runner-up than other runners up, without taking into account the difficulty/shape of the group. With only 6 gamedays per group, theres no problem slotting in a playoff.

I'm not sure I understand this at all :confused: They aren't friendlies if they 'count', if they are friendlies then you'll pick opposition outside your group.

Home and Away friendly from POT not GROUP.....

So let's say our Group was:

Ireland, Ukraine, Armenia, Bulgaria

Our pot might have been Ireland, Switzerland, Bosnia, Slovenia.

So we'd play 1 of them home and away.

I think that's what it means.....still nuts though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I expect Ireland will drop some significant amount in the rankings by the time the WC qualifiers are done.

Home and Away friendly from POT not GROUP.....

So let's say our Group was:

Ireland, Ukraine, Armenia, Bulgaria

Our pot might have been Ireland, Switzerland, Bosnia, Slovenia.

So we'd play 1 of them home and away.

I think that's what it means.....still nuts though.

Huh?

• Advertisement

Eathrin wrote: »
    I expect Ireland will drop some significant amount in the rankings by the time the WC qualifiers are done.

Probably for the best anyway. We seem to blow it as first seeds (Euro 2004 comes to mind). By comparison iirc four of our five qualifications to date were as 3rd seed or lower.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

No idea what's going on.

adamski8 wrote: »
    1. barely any competitive matches then resulting in lots of friendlies
    2. open draw would rob us of seeing some of the best teams in the euros, its already going to be a watered down comp.
    3. whats wrong with international breaks?

Just going on the format that the African cup of nations is doing

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Huh?

Ha yeah i know, .... my interpretation of OP is that we end up in a group of 4. Play out that group. Then play a home and away match against someone in our original pot. So i guess if we were in a pot of 12 it would mean playing one of 11 other teams of a similar ability. I don't know if that what it means just my reading of the OP.

Ha yeah i know, .... my interpretation of OP is that we end up in a group of 4. Play out that group. Then play a home and away match against someone in our original pot. So i guess if we were in a pot of 12 it would mean playing one of 11 other teams of a similar ability. I don't know if that what it means just my reading of the OP.

I'm confused anyway!

It almost sounds like they're trying to create a sort of "American" style system whereby you're in a clearly defined group and qualify based on position in that group, but your games are not limited just to teams in that group?

Is that what you mean by the two 'friendlies' against teams from the same pot? :confused:

Just going on the format that the African cup of nations is doing

Africa have 3 qualifications in a 4 year cycle (with the ACN being every 2 years, and this time being on in both 2012 and 2013), so they have to reduce/merge the amount of games.

For UEFA to do a simple one-off tie for qualification for the Euros would be madness, not least from a financial viewpoint. Like you'd probably bankrupt about a dozen national FAs if they only had 1 competitive home game in 24 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

I have had a few beers. And re read the OP three times- it might as well be written in Arabic :confused::pac:

Was looking it up on wikipedia the other night but could find no mention of seeding the teams who qualify, I would imagine UEFA will be taking some sort of action to prevent too many groups of death in the opening 24. Imagine

Group A
    Germany
    Holland
    Spain
    Portugal

Group B
    England
    France
    Italy
    Croatia

Group C
    Ireland
    Latvia
    Belarus
    Lithuania

Not sure the advertising money would be big for this sort of outcome.:pac: And given the luck Trap has had the above would be our group- and we would probably still barely stumble through to the 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

I don't think even Platini himself could possibly understand that qualification process

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,507 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I haven't looked at the data going back 20 years but it seems to me that the minnows who never have a chance of qualifying have actually improved in the last decade or so.

Obviously, I don't mean improved in terms of qualifying but the cricket scores seem to be less common than they used to be.

Wouldn't such 'no-hopers' get even worse if they aren't playing European teams on a regular basis (regardless of what the rankings say) or is that only a secondary concern?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

My head hurts :(

52 teams, have the eight lowest ranked teams play off to cut that down to 48 (eliminating four). 12 groups of 4 with first and second qualifying. Simple. No need to make it so overly complicated.

noodler wrote: »
    I haven't looked at the data going back 20 years but it seems to me that the minnows who never have a chance of qualifying have actually improved in the last decade or so.

Obviously, I don't mean improved in terms of qualifying but the cricket scores seem to be less common than they used to be.

Wouldn't such 'no-hopers' get even worse if they aren't playing European teams on a regular basis (regardless of what the rankings say) or is that only a secondary concern?

Just a cursory look at Friday can help back up your point. Faroes were holding Germany for long periods, Luxembourg only lost 2-1 to portugal, Kazaks v us........then a lot of the whipping boys of the early to mid 90s, the likes of Albania, Latvia etc are much more competitive nowadays.

Top level competition are improving the minnows, the gaps are closing but those gaps will always remain, largely due to finances and population sizes, the likes of Albania, Latvia, Andorra, Moldova etc can never close the gap on France, Germany, England etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Yes! I've confused everyone!

It's so daft that I don't think I could have explained it any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Have you got a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I mean a link that they're actually talking about it.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    My head hurts :(

52 teams, have the eight lowest ranked teams play off to cut that down to 48 (eliminating four). 12 groups of 4 with first and second qualifying. Simple. No need to make it so overly complicated.

you forgot france are already qualified as hosts, only 23 spots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

adamski8 wrote: »
    you forgot france are already qualified as hosts, only 23 spots

The two lowest runners up could have a play off.

Hosts + 12 group winners + 10 best runner ups + Play off winner.

Sorry for bumping this but I was just thinking about it now. Tolosence, have you any source for the suggestion you described in your OP?

Also are you sure you took it up right about the extra games vs the team in your pot being just friendlies rather competitive?

I ask I was just checking NFL scheduling system and (besides being some of the most convoluted scheduling system you could imagine) they also do a thing whereby you play added games against teams who are considered your "equals". The reason for being you end up playing an equal number of games against 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th rated teams over a 16 game season.

Compare that to the standard football qualifying system whereby if you can maintain your 1st seeding you would theoretically never have to play a qualifier vs another first seed team ever. Somone like Italy or England for example have a much easier 10 game schedule than San Marino as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Jesus it's not all that bad the way it is. Home and away friendlies from the pot? Eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The best ever Euros this year and they ruin it by expanding the tournament. :mad:

Quality over quantity, every single time.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The best ever Euros this year and they ruin it by expanding the tournament. :mad:

Well if Ireland were anything to go by there might be a case for actually reducing the number of places back down in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,507 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Zebra3 wrote: »

Adding in Belgium, Bosnia and Montenagro to what was there in summer would be fine.

Maybe even Romania, Turkey, Finland and Norway.

There is enough decent, competitive teams in Europe for people not to be overly concerned about the quality of the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Platini gave an interview to Martin Samuel in May. When pushed he mentioned again the groups of 4 idea with winners going through then the rest playing for other spots while qualified teams play friendlies. He also said there would probably be other ideas as well but he seems not to know how qualification is going to work, especially with Gibraltar making it a prime number of teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Hmm there are 54 members of UEFA so your mate is wrong!

• Advertisement

Also UEFA have the problem that they have to keep Spain and Gib separate, Armenia and Azerbaijan separate and Russia and Georgia separate which makes any draw quite difficult to arrange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

As someone living in Gibraltar I really hope they don't mess around with the system too much. I'm loving the idea of Germany, Sweden etc coming to play here!

roryc wrote: »
    As someone living in Gibraltar I really hope they don't mess around with the system too much. I'm loving the idea of Germany, Sweden etc coming to play here!

I'm actually going to Gibraltar in August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Haven't updated that in a while. Worked in Gib for the last 3 years - lived in Alcaidesa for the first year and commuted, then moved to Gib itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

http://www.football-rankings.info/2013/12/uefa-euro-2016-qualifying-format.html

Going to be a staid qualifying campaign for those at the top...

• Advertisement

dsmythy wrote: »
    http://www.football-rankings.info/2013/12/uefa-euro-2016-qualifying-format.html

Going to be a staid qualifying campaign for those at the top...

Some fascinating changes to the draw structure if thats true, such as segregation of teams by weather and distance.
    (May not be fascinating to normal people obviously).

Also, loving, just loving, that they are playing games all days from Thursday to Tuesday rather than just Friday and Tuesday. The Saturday of international weekends will no longer be a wasteland.

Bump with 1st Match day fixtures

Sept 7th
    Georgia V Ireland
    Denmark V Armenia
    Hungary V Northern Ireland
    Faroe Islands V Finland
    Greece V Romania
    Germany V Scotland
    Gibralter V Poland
    Portugal V Albania

Sept 8th
    Russia V Liechtenstein
    Austria V Sweden
    Montenergo V Moldova
    Luxembourg V Belarus
    Spain V Macedonia
    Ukraine V Slovakia
    Estonia V Slovenia
    San Marino V Lithuania
    Switzerland V England

Sept 9th
    Kazakhstan V Latvia
    Azerbaijan V Bulgaria
    Croatia V Malta
    Norway V Italy
    Czech Republic V Netherlands
    Iceland V Turkey
    Andorra V Wales
    Bosnia V Cyprus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Think we need to watch Gibraltar. They are unbeaten in international football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,552 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This really crept up, I only realised it was starting this weekend yesterday when I saw it on Revista

Georgia away could be tough, but with a group like ours, it's one you have to still win.

Albania beating Portugal away with 1 minute to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Albania beating Portugal away with 1 minute to go!

Portugals form in qualifiers has been so bad lately it genuinely makes me think there's some match-fixing going on in them.Maybe they're just shít though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Ireland will probably finish fourth in this group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Well done to Albania, cant stand Portugal.

Delighted that Scotland were hard done by the ref and lost narrowly, will help our cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I dont see the big deal with Portugal take Ronaldo out and there a very average squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Group I will be fascinating: Albania, Portugal, Denmark, Armenia and Serbia.

As we know from a previous campaign Armenia can create massive surprises on their day and they only narrowly lost 2-1 away to Denmark tonight. Albania had a decent World Cup campaign and have built upon that tonight against Portugal with that great 1-0 win. Serbia might even be the weakest team in the group!

• Advertisement
Advertisement