Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-02-2019, 12:24   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by superg View Post
They'd clean up at Heuston station everyday for the second one.
At the drop off 'only' zone??
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-02-2019, 14:20   #17
Mr.Frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaSaladBB View Post
The NTA could probably self-fund if they collected fines from taxi drivers every time one of these rules was broken:
https://www.nationaltransport.ie/tax...ment-offences/

These ones would be a gold mine:
Standing for hire other than at an appointed stand (taxi only) (€40)
Standing with a taxi on part of a public road adjoining or in proximity to an appointed stand when the stand is full (€40)
They do.
Thanks from:
07-02-2019, 16:19   #18
GM228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Frame View Post
They do.
+1, in 2017 for example they issued 1512 FPNs and initiated 150 direct non FPN prosecutions, there was 112 cases for non payment of FPNs.

Of the 262 cases they had a 95% conviction rate.
Thanks from:
08-02-2019, 19:57   #19
Marcusm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook_ie View Post
I assume you mean he said he had a fare but no one in the cab?

There is an outside possibility that he had just taken an app booking, has happened to me above once (admittedly when I'm on a rank) when I've accepted an app fair just as someones approached the cab, but fairly easy for a driver or customer to prove as long as people have the times etc. of the complaint
In which case why would you even engage with them to find out where they wanted to go? Even if on the way it would still interfere with the customer you had snaffled on the app.
Thanks from:
09-02-2019, 08:09   #20
usernamegoes

I had a taxi driver on the Uber app message me asking where I was going once I told him he quit the fare. I knew where it was going so I took a screenshot and sent it to NTA. Same thing as OP, willing to go to court etc. They emailed me to day the driver was interviewed under caution and it was decided to fine him €80.

I had one driver drive off on me after I told him where I was going, he had the door locked and I nearly went under the wheel he took off so fast. We need more taxis but NTA are acting the maggot by not giving out new licenses.
Advertisement
09-02-2019, 08:55   #21
Sleeper12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmisk
They sent me an email today to say if driver doesnt pay fixed payment notice...I will need to make myself available for a court case...is this the norm? Has anyone any experience of this kind of thing?

This is the norm. You made an allegation against the taxi driver and he denied it. They can't ta it any further without you attending the hearing. They will want to question you face to face and the same goes for the taxi driver.

It would be a strange world if anyone could make an allegation & the person who you made the allegations about gets punished without a fair hearing.

On Facebook & twitter people decide someone's guilt without proof but fortunately in the real world people have a right to defend themselves
Thanks from:
09-02-2019, 16:04   #22
Mr.Frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamegoes View Post
I had a taxi driver on the Uber app message me asking where I was going once I told him he quit the fare. I knew where it was going so I took a screenshot and sent it to NTA. Same thing as OP, willing to go to court etc. They emailed me to day the driver was interviewed under caution and it was decided to fine him €80.

I had one driver drive off on me after I told him where I was going, he had the door locked and I nearly went under the wheel he took off so fast. We need more taxis but NTA are acting the maggot by not giving out new licenses.
I somehow think it is NOT a court issue!

At present Dublin has more taxis than New York, hvnt you seen the streets id the city on any given night, theres traffic jams with taxis
And the NTA ARE issuing licences, even though the market is flooded.
09-02-2019, 16:24   #23
Sleeper12

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamegoes View Post

I'm not so sure this is true. Police interview you under caution I don't think NTA do. Taxi can't refuse a fare on the street but I don't think the law applies to an app. I doubt NTA have much to say with Uber. You might need a taxi for the city center to Tallaght. Taxi might have a pickup in Coolock in 45 minutes. Taxi could be ringing to see if you are going close to coolock. MY Taxi would work like a taxi radio company. Drivers can refuse a fare if it's out of their way or interferes with their next scheduled pickup
09-02-2019, 16:39   #24
vandriver

Uber requires you to put in your destination when you book a cab.
Advertisement
09-02-2019, 16:46   #25
Sleeper12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandriver

It sounded made up to me too
Thanks from:
09-02-2019, 19:28   #26
Losty Dublin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcusm View Post
In which case why would you even engage with them to find out where they wanted to go? Even if on the way it would still interfere with the customer you had snaffled on the app.
I can't speak for other drivers but when I was in the trade and on the way to a booked pickup and saw somebody trying to hail and asked me, I'd let them know I was on my way elsewhere but if they were en route then yeah I would. Different story if you were doubling back but if it was handy then hell yeah, why not.

Some canny base staff at cab firms would do similar with their drivers; if they knew you could pick up a fare en route to another fare then they'd get you to do both.

Sue me if you want for doing this
Thanks from:
09-02-2019, 19:32   #27
whiskeyman

I always thought they didn't have to accept the fare until you actually sat in the car?
09-02-2019, 19:44   #28
Sleeper12

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyman
I always thought they didn't have to accept the fare until you actually sat in the car?

When you flag down a taxi or at a rank they can't refuse you based on where you want to go assuming that it's in the area they hold a licence for. I don't believe this is the case with my taxi, Uber or a radio company
09-02-2019, 20:17   #29
Losty Dublin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper12 View Post
When you flag down a taxi or at a rank they can't refuse you based on where you want to go assuming that it's in the area they hold a licence for. I don't believe this is the case with my taxi, Uber or a radio company

A fare may be refused if it's going to a end location that is over 30KM from the point of hailing. A taxi driver may pick up from a rank or street if s/he has a PSV licence to operate in that geographical area. The taxi itself is not region or area specific. What matters most is the area where the driver is passed out for.

Private bookings, such as phone or inter web hires, may be picked up by a driver who has been issued with a valid Irish PSV licence regardless of the area it was allocated for. This is the case regardless of the type of vehicle driven that the PSV driver uses; Taxi, Hackney or Limo.

There are other criteria under which a driver can lawfully refuse a hiring.
Thanks from:
10-02-2019, 21:27   #30
usernamegoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Frame View Post
I somehow think it is NOT a court issue!

At present Dublin has more taxis than New York, hvnt you seen the streets id the city on any given night, theres traffic jams with taxis
And the NTA ARE issuing licences, even though the market is flooded.
Failure to pay the fixed penalty notice is an offence where else would it be prosecuted?

It's getting harder and harder to get a taxi. No new normal licenses have been issued since 2011; look at NTA stats.

Quote:
I'm not so sure this is true. Police interview you under caution I don't think NTA do. Taxi can't refuse a fare on the street but I don't think the law applies to an app. I doubt NTA have much to say with Uber. You might need a taxi for the city center to Tallaght. Taxi might have a pickup in Coolock in 45 minutes. Taxi could be ringing to see if you are going close to coolock. MY Taxi would work like a taxi radio company. Drivers can refuse a fare if it's out of their way or interferes with their next scheduled pickup
Anyone being interviewed with the potential of a criminal prosecution has these rights and they must have them told to them. The NTA is the prosecution authority under the 2013 Act not the Garda. Authorized officers of the NTA therefore do the interviewing.

I wasn't 100 per cent sure when I made the complaint that it would apply to pre-booking which is what the app is but the NTA seem to have agreed with me which is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandriver View Post
It's not shown to the driver until you get in.

Quote:
It sounded made up to me too
Indeed.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size