Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-02-2019, 11:52   #1
gmisk

Taxi drive complaint - NTA

I stuck the hand out for a taxi driver at the weekend he pulls up, light on, great.
Where are you going to?
"bla bla"
Oh actually I have a fair already....and drove off (luckily I took a picture of his number).

I sent complaint into the NTA.

They sent me an email today to say if driver doesnt pay fixed payment notice...I will need to make myself available for a court case...is this the norm? Has anyone any experience of this kind of thing?
Advertisement
04-02-2019, 11:54   #2
irlrobins

I've lodged similar complaints and got the same initial reply from NTA. None of them went to court, they usually get handled by NTA in short period, as drivers want to resolve as quickly as they can, usually by paying the fixed fine.
Thanks from:
04-02-2019, 11:55   #3
OSI

Same as above. Driver was brought in to NTA to answer complaint, admitted fault and paid fine.
Thanks from:
04-02-2019, 11:56   #4
gmisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlrobins View Post
I've lodged similar complaints and got the same initial reply from NTA. None of them went to court, they usually get handled by NTA in short period, as drivers want to resolve as quickly as they can, usually by paying the fixed fine.
Thanks for the quick reply.
I kind of guessed that would be the case, kind of glad I was with someone so have a witness.
I just dont think they should be allowed to get away with rubbish like that.
Thanks from:
04-02-2019, 12:30   #5
ArthurG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmisk View Post
I stuck the hand out for a taxi driver at the weekend he pulls up, light on, great.
Where are you going to?
"bla bla"
Oh actually I have a fair already....and drove off (luckily I took a picture of his number).

I sent complaint into the NTA.

They sent me an email today to say if driver doesnt pay fixed payment notice...I will need to make myself available for a court case...is this the norm? Has anyone any experience of this kind of thing?
I never tell them where i'm going until i'm in the car, hard for them to drive off when you're in the vehicle.
Advertisement
04-02-2019, 12:31   #6
Effects

How much in the NTA fine?
04-02-2019, 12:36   #7
davetherave

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/tax...ment-offences/

Unreasonable refusal to carry a passenger for a journey of 30 km or less (taxi only) (€80)
04-02-2019, 12:58   #8
Losty Dublin

I didn't think that they would issue a fixed fine solely upon the content of an e-mail, even with a photo attached. Certainly they usen't to at least. As regards a court case, well if it goes that far then you would presumably need to attend as a witness. That would be months away though.
Thanks from:
04-02-2019, 13:02   #9
irlrobins

Sometimes the investigator will ring complainant to get further details, and follow up with result, based on my experience.
Advertisement
04-02-2019, 14:15   #10
Spook_ie

I assume you mean he said he had a fare but no one in the cab?

There is an outside possibility that he had just taken an app booking, has happened to me above once (admittedly when I'm on a rank) when I've accepted an app fair just as someones approached the cab, but fairly easy for a driver or customer to prove as long as people have the times etc. of the complaint
Thanks from:
04-02-2019, 14:28   #11
Losty Dublin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook_ie View Post

There is an outside possibility that he had just taken an app booking, has happened to me above once (admittedly when I'm on a rank) when I've accepted an app fair just as someones approached the cab, but fairly easy for a driver or customer to prove as long as people have the times etc. of the complaint
Fair point. Used to happen me as well when I was on the road.
04-02-2019, 14:36   #12
gmisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook_ie View Post

That would be fine...but he had his light on and pulled in when we put hands out...then he asks where we are going...and then suddenly he has a fair....it doesnt sound likely does it? Or fair in the least to me.

I will be carrying on with the complaint.
04-02-2019, 15:23   #13
Spook_ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmisk View Post
That would be fine...but he had his light on and pulled in when we put hands out...then he asks where we are going...and then suddenly he has a fair....it doesnt sound likely does it? Or fair in the least to me.

I will be carrying on with the complaint.
Sounds like a dick, carry on with blessings of all decent taxi drivers
(6) thanks from:
04-02-2019, 22:36   #14
TunaSaladBB

The NTA could probably self-fund if they collected fines from taxi drivers every time one of these rules was broken:
https://www.nationaltransport.ie/tax...ment-offences/

These ones would be a gold mine:
Standing for hire other than at an appointed stand (taxi only) (€40)
Standing with a taxi on part of a public road adjoining or in proximity to an appointed stand when the stand is full (€40)
Thanks from:
05-02-2019, 20:05   #15
.G.

They'd clean up at Heuston station everyday for the second one.
(5) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion