Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remnant: From the Ashes (Dark Souls with guns)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm loving it too, the co-op actually works pretty well, very handy for getting extra dragon thingys. Jesus wept the bridge boss battle with one or two people is cruel, I'm assuming it's tough solo with 2 it's horrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Just cheesed the Undying King, exploiting the Petrified Maul's 100% Stagger on Charged attacks on him when he moved to the alter. He permanently kept his hands clasped doing nothing while I also killed the adds with its AoE. :p

With the damage buff on kill, along wih increased melee attack speed rings as well as scrapper set he went down quick.

joined two randoms on the bridge died a few times, one guy left, died maybe another 10 times, another random joins, die again, next round kill the first boss, doing fair damage on the second and the host dies, can't revive, assume fell off bridge, hammering the boss and the second guy dies, went at the boss, probably the longest ten seconds of my life but it died,. The relief.

Played on for several hours with the two lads and finished the game. There's been a MASSIVE difficulty spike it seems in the boss battles since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I'm really struggling with this game. I got it during the pre - release weekend last week and I still haven't beaten the first boss (Shroud). I've managed to buy loads of upgrades from all the items I looted while trying to beat him but still no luck. Best I did so far was get him to 25%.

I wouldn't mind the Adds if they didn't keep spawning. He has an endless supply of adds, arrows that cause bleed damage, can also kill you in one or two hits.

you're accuracy is insane RD, I assume that's mouse and keyboard, my accuracy is so bad I have to let the whisps hit me. Seriously nice though I don't play at that level.

I stupidly put everything at +15 and everything became so much harder, extra enemies and mobs. Got badly stuck on scald earlier came back at it later and switched to the defiler and did it first go. Now I'm stuck on the final boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

That boss fight above is much more like it, manageable adds and fun looking boss/mechanics. Not being chased by a two shotting boss with countless adds running at you to explode.

And yeah K/b and mouse is supreme for any games which involve aiming, consoles need aim assist built in to make it easier, of which not all games bother putting it in sadly.

Does this game have the aim assist on console/joypads?

yeah it has aim assist on console, trust me that battle is not as much fun as he makes it look :)

you can also manage your world by not over levelling too much. the game picks your highest ranked item in each of the 3 weapon and gear slots and then divides by 6. I started a second character and currently have 11/6, which should hold my game at a 2. If I increase an item by 1 my world will turn to 3 for each new area I go into. that's the theory anyway.

It takes the highest ranked item in each slot ignores everything else in that slot and counts anything you have even unequipped. the spike in difficulty can be extreme as I have discovered

gimli2112 wrote: »
    yeah it has aim assist on console, trust me that battle is not as much fun as he makes it look :)

you can also manage your world by not over levelling too much. the game picks your highest ranked item in each of the 3 weapon and gear slots and then divides by 6. I started a second character and currently have 11/6, which should hold my game at a 2. If I increase an item by 1 my world will turn to 3 for each new area I go into. that's the theory anyway.

It takes the highest ranked item in each slot ignores everything else in that slot and counts anything you have even unequipped. the spike in difficulty can be extreme as I have discovered

Stupid design, should leave the difficulty spikes to go up with Campaign difficulty... loathe scaling.

Rerolled my world yesterday to try and get the tree and the armour trait and now getting a tonne of resources, xp and scrap. I don't want to go into work.

On the boss battles I was fighting the shock ape and he spawned archers which were an absolute pain. Couldn't handle it, came back later and he spawned melee mobs which were much more manageable. Another thing is while I have fought the same bosses there does seem t be a mechanic that pits you against new ones more often than not.

spent 20 minutes tpday trying to find out if the wailing woods rolls as an alternative to mud tooth. I have mud tooth on this reroll but also have the Ent which I haven't fought before. Bark Skin seems quite a powerful trait to have as an optional one.

Quite happy min maxing for now

• Advertisement

The Withering Wood is a teleport location but I couldn't find it, ah man I may have re-rolled for no reason. It's actually worked out grand as the earlier levels are full of high end materials, the xp is pretty decent and the boss battles are good to practice.

All over Earth and couldn't find the Withiring Woods in my rerolled world. Rerolled it again and have Gorefist to look forward to later. Trying to get the bark skin is turning into an obsession

• Registered Users Posts: 27,847 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

RopeDrink wrote: »
    That's what happened to me and the Bandit Armor (which I just got last night after about 20 re-rolls). Funny, I encountered the Tree you're after three times in a row last night. I believe I now have all traits and only lack a few alternate boss-kills, but already have preferred weapons anyway. If you wish to cheese it, people on Steam mentioned that you can check what you got in the world by opening the save in Notepad. This means you can re-roll, inspect the file, and just do it again without having to manually play, but that would suck out some of the fun for sure. If you wish to avoid that method, just keep in mind that interlinked events will happen and will make it easier to know if you've got what you want. For example, if you meet that trader with the Mask on, you definitely have the Tree later. Same with the Bandits and bosses. If you encounter that Shroud mini-event, you're going to get Shroud as the boss. If you encounter Bandits in the sewer, you're going to encounter Brabus, etc.

All that is left for me is to complete the game on Nightmare just to say I've done it. There are only a few traits I haven't maxed, so after 88hrs, it's safe to say I will finally ease off on playing. Not bad considering my initial expectation of stopping after 30hrs.

Gimli is a PS4 player so no notepad for him.

God dammit I had the trader with the mask in the first two worlds but haven't seen him in this one. This tree is definitely on Earth right? I beat Gorefist first go but in fairness I'm much better specced than before. The boss I had the most issues with on earth is that little sprog that spawns the little minions with axes and knifes.
    He's so annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I know it's late but going to stream some Nightmare-Solo on the quiet. No commentary or anything, but might give people on the fence some idea about the late-game aspect.

Expect death. Lots of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty5m2ZHFjZ0

Very nice, watching you, it really shows how much of an advantage K&M is. Fair play though!
    Keep the videos coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Hi,

I'm early into the game facing Gorefist and hes kicking my ass. Is there a way to abcktravel to toher areas to farm for upgrades?! His level does not seem to drop much each time I try to beat him...

Also, is there any truth that upgarding too much makes later levels tougher?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Another question, if I reroll my world does my entire charachter and stats come with me?

I'll jump in before Ropedrink puts up a video demonstrating how easy he is :)

You can go back to Hanger 13 and reset your world it won't harm you at all and you'll get back to where you were pretty quick. There is an easier boss in that slot that can be re-rolled Gorefist can be an absolute mare early on, although I actually found him pretty easy but I had a lot of traits when fighting him. The gun plant perk can also help although I heard they were nerfing it and there was a patch this morning.

Yes the game will rank up with you. The way it works is it takes the highest item you have in each of your armour and weapon slots. You have 6 and then it divides this by 6. Whatever number is left it adds one and that's your game world for every new area you go into. I should say some of the bosses developed a really irritating quirk (Shroud/Mangle) where there's random explosions over my head now that hadn't been there before. This may simply be due to a re-roll rather than progression as I do think the boss battles can roll different mechanics.

sticker wrote: »
    Another question, if I reroll my world does my entire charachter and stats come with me?

Yes rerolling should hold no fear, all it does is resets the world. It's actually a good way of getting xp, gear and loot I'm on my 5th reroll of Earth and still no fecking tree but I'm at the stage where I think I can beat all the bosses relatively easily solo. Although that mangle dork is really annoying and still gets me.

yup it's the main problem with gorefist is the random spawn of the adds. I engaged with him for one or two cycles of damage and then ignored him to clear the adds as they spawn. I got lucky here in that they were all manageable and other than his one hit kill combo Gorefist himself is not very dangerous.

Should also have bandages as he can make you bleed and the stuff that gets rid of infection mapped to quick select.

• Advertisement

Something I don't understand. I have 4 15s, a 20 and a 9 (melee slot) Divide this by 6 and this should mean my game world is 15 (maybe 16). When I look at my stats I have the little white diamond for offence but my armour is showing a red down arrow.

This indicates the stuff I'm wearing is under levelled but everything in those slots are +15. It's really bugging me.

Hope they sort out the crashing issue on PS4... seriously driving my head in when myself or friends in co-op crash every hour or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Patch out today.

with the exception of last week I have had next to no crashes playing solo, I played several hours over a few days with a friend and his kid and again it was fairly stable, I did however have issues crashing when co-opped with randoms. not a lot but enough to annoy

I also got kicked for raising the difficulty to extreme levels a couple of times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I started this last week as a Hunter since accuracy builds are what I prefer (as I get older that's harder to live with so it's becoming more of a bar to reach than boon at this stage ;) ) . I fk'd around with equipment and upgrades and the open world was easy enough until I reached what I thought was the first boss, Shroud, and died repeatedly. I decided to go back to it today after a bit more researching the mechanics and restarted with ex-occultist and treating the Gear focussed levelling mechanic as an opportunity. bar 2 points in Spirit (mod speed) I've put everything into Elder Knowledge (xp boost), all gear is just +1 to reduce a levelling race-condition later. On this playthrough I realised why all those videos on beating Shroud were in a totally different spot. The first time you meet him in a sewer dungeon you do not have to engage. Just destroy the 2 altars, leave him in the dust and move on. When you do face him proper it is MUCH easier. With the early build above, relatively low equipment score and no real buffs beyond experience (running fire ammo and regen mods) I killed him on try 4. Not great but so much easier. So after that hurdle I'm about 6 hours in, 3 on this char, and it really is fun. More forgiving in ways but thankfully Less predictable than Souls (which imho is less 'git gud' and more 'learn through repetition and bore yourself ****tless') .
    Audio is great, while the music is sparse what there is is wonderful, spatially it's a bit mixed in that for 360 on the same plane it's great and usable tactically depth tends to fail. Enemy and weapon sound effects are meaty and the voice acting is spot-on (one of the biggest immersion breakers for me normally).
    Graphically it's really a polished 4yr old. But it works, the aesthetic suits the story and gameplay perfectly. Visually to me this is Stalker meets Souls.

Overall I don't think it will be a AAA classic but I'm really enjoying a breath of B-movie fresh air.

P.S. some brilliantly informative posts here from a lot of folks I know from the looter-shooter threads. Rope, I'm not a game spectator and don't generally do twitch et al outside of special events but great posts here, sub'd on Youtube because of it.

Got the Withiring Wood on reroll 5. Taking between 4-6 hours per reroll looking for that damn tree.
    They nerfed just about everything I was using so it must have been good.
    Gorefist killed me 5 times today, he really isn't that difficult now for my character but some of the adds bs gets me from time to time

also dumped another +5 into the armour and it's still underlevelled, I'm missing something here

I just put everything to 20 and am grand now although anyone joining me is getting massacred :rolleyes:

playing with randoms today and got the mask on Earth (i apparently rerolled last night) being the nice guy I am brought them to the wailing tree and was putting on the mask to show them, when I came out a lad had already done it, I would have been furious if I hadn't done it already

I'm rerolling traits constantly the one I have to have are (well there's lots but three I think I'm adding to the list) the two stamina ones (reduce cost and regen) it's so much easier to run around the world and the elemental damage reduction, that one gives you so much damage reduction in so many areas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Granted I've only just reached Rhom but the levelling strategy that has worked well for me is only upgrade gear when the Offense/Defense marker under advanced stats shows below for the current zone (red down arrow), and once met enter any level/dungeon portals off the current main area to lock them into that level state (currently all at +3). The big problem with early over-levelling is not having that leeway for later imho.
    Traitwise I've maxed Elder Knowledge and have a Sage ring so XP is at +50%, now nearing completing spirit, all other traits are default. With low health and little other bonuses I take my time but with careful play this is working out fine for me so far.

• Advertisement

did the final boss in my world and a mate's one. He's about 2 or 3 levels lower than me.
    his one was much harder, he was doing more damage in my world

Have all the trophies except mod enthusiast. You only need 15 gun mods and I have 17 but the trophy is glitched

Advertisement