Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irelands fittest family

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,869 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think they showed the family picking in the first episode or at least a bit of it.

Maybe questions for the producers about some of the families they have put through tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

Comes across like they're pretty hard up for applicants - unfit contestants and previous contestants returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I’m fairly certain from what I gather, is that producers have been reaching out to former contestants to enter, so the above makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Cumhachtach

Great Darragh Maloney is calling straw bales straw this series. I know it's a minor thing but to a farmer it's like hearing a bull called a cow when people say hay bales!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

The other week Darragh goes a 300 metre run carrying the pole. Must be some editing as done in 10 seconds I think. Sign them up for the olympics.

Standard seems to be dropping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

while I do not see every episode I always thought it was top-drawer stuff. I don't have any head for rights and that would be my only concern as they on the program were been pushed a lot in the past in that regard. I could not believe the program a few years back having them on top of Croke park stadium.

The fitness respect of the program does really set a standard. Not every family would be willing to take part as most families would have 1 or 2 really fit members and the rest only just about able for it.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,825 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There's an awful lot of factors that would stop me participating! But definitely no head for heights would be up there at the very top of the list.

I think the most memorable event for me over the years was the one with someone balancing on one foot on a telegraph pole about 25 feet in the air, while their families pedalled like crazy below them - I feel queasy just thinking about it! And one young girl stood there for something like 25 minutes?! On one foot!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭josip

I expected the army lad to fly it last week but he was outperformed by his 2 sisters I thought. We need more 14 year olds in the army.

The families 2013-19 were rounded. No really weak links bar age and maybe strength with the mam's.

Some seriously average families now. The Gallaghers Laois. The 60 year old Burns woman who looked like your average rotund granny.

I know a lot of families with 4 fit members. They're not bothered for relatively small money. Also decent athletes have injured themselves on the walls and ramps etc. They don't want to risk injury and have a gobshite roaring at you who is making money out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,438 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It’s a good question, do families need to go through heats or qualifiers? I’d love to know how many families actually apply, and how they whittle them down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,438 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Search on Twitter and see if he was corrected on the error?

MMA families are too heavy and bulky for walls and IFF. It suits cross country runners, gaa players, farmers etc.

It doesn't play to MMA people's strengths. The Greens were gracious in defeat.

I find the term 'Ireland's fittest family' very subjective. Certain facets of fitness aren't measured at all. Others, like running and crawling probably over emphasised.

The ideal candidate is a male 20 year old 6ft 3in chap from a farming background who plays GAA and is into athletics. If you're Tadhgh Furlong you may aswell go home. There's no longer pulling airplanes, loading sand bags with a pulley, flipping backwheel tractor tyres.

Balance, having a body light enough to go through muck and water, having 2 lads tall enough to grip the ramp is King. It needs to be balanced out a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The families have been absolutely wrecked in the eliminator over the last few weeks, noticeably more.so than the earlier qualifiers.

Those Bungie cords really take it out of them. Great finish to it though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,210 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The big heavy units have never done well. Too heavy to hold themselves. Same with the firefighter a few weeks ago, too much muscle and bulk to carry.

The lads werent able to hold the mothers weight.

Absolutely. Just the balance has turned more in the whippets favour with the removal of strength tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

The guns on the Rice mammy, she was unreal on the heaviest strap, put a lot of others to shame

• Registered Users Posts: 28,825 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Delighted to see Nina get a family through.

And fair play (and in fairness 99% credit) to that family - did i hear one of them say he's over 20 stone??? 😱 - and the mother is 61, and got 4 balls in on the strongest bungee - and most importantly between the lot of them they didn't drop a single ball in that round. I think that's the first time we've seen that. If you went at a snail's pace in that bungee round but didn't drop any balls i reckon you'd be almost guaranteed a win.

The eliminator, I thought that young girl was going to throw in the towel trying to get up the ramp! Good on Donncha talking her through go after go.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭CassieManson

It seems that this year every eliminator comes down to the ramp. No matter how fast they are on the earlier part of the course. They are wet and the ramp is apparrently higher and steeper this year. I know it's supposed to add to the excitement but somehow it doesn't. No need to watch really until they get to the ramp.

And maybe a question of conserving energy pre ramp. The team first to it seems to panic a little and generally lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Watching on the Player, love the ads, up to Episode 3.

How did the Burns family get through selection, the poor mother, how was she ever going to get over the 10ft wall & up the ramp if she couldn't climb over a bale. A few returning families too. must be running out of entrants.

Tyred out is a good out and out aerobic event.

64 year old McNally man did very well for his age.

Danny Nugent hung well for a big man. 2:14 or thereabouts is excellent with that bulk.

Ah Donnacha. Grabbing legs is useless on the ramp. You won't get dragged up that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Not a regular watcher so was thinking what’s the end game once they are hanging on. I was wondering if it’s done by others.

I think it was for the trailing leg person to 'crawl' and pull the person up. It seems a very cumbersome way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The leg move was a disaster! Yet again though, it all came down to the ramp.

Looking at hanging tough though, it seemed much more challenging than previous years? The bar was swaying an awful lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

You need a second person up there for the leg thing to work. The Cooneys were red rotten at the ramp, those two big lads should have been well able to run up, catch the lip and pull themselves up. The mother for the Gallagher's is a weak link. McNally father is a tough bit of stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Trampas

It was a bad overall hanging tough. How much is it to hire a crane that big? Like using a hammer to crack a nut.

Some want to be lifted completely up the ramp. There’s always one on each team who doesn’t seem to have a try until everyone else is up

Advertisement