Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Six TD's and senators forced to refund illegitimate expense claims

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

SJW Lover wrote: »
    Every time i see you agreeing with your alter-ego Pintman Paddy Losty i always cringe a little. You think no one realises you are the same person?

Best to ignore, his and his compadres goal is to close any thread that reflects negatively on FG. Already managed to do so with the Maria Bailey falling off a swing thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Pronto63 wrote: »
    Is there not a case to be made for those that had disallowed/fraudulent expense claims to be further audited.

Like going through the last 3-5 years for those found to be fraudsters - sorry I meant to say those that don't understand the relevant expense policies and procedures.

Ah here hold on a minute....that's accountability you're talking about there...let's be real. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭nc6000

Were any of those audited found to have misunderstood the rules and not claimed for some expenses which were eligible? I'm guessing not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭SJW Lover

Best to ignore, his and his compadres goal is to close any thread that reflects negatively on FG. Already managed to do so with the Maria Bailey falling off a swing thread.

I think arguing, in light of the swing saga, that Ms Bailey has made a genuine mistake here really removes any credibility one might have.

Do people not realise that letting politicians away with anything simply because they are "on your side" is why we end up with scrotes like Maria Bailey getting into politics in the first place? Being a "loyal party man" makes you one of the main reasons we have corruption in the first place. It also makes you an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Alan Farrell TD and Maria Bailey TD are insurance fraudsters and expenses cheats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

The clean TDs and Senators

So 4 out of 9 FGers were found to be dodgy, that's fairly shocking tbh

Shocking?? LOL, not surprising TBH

I love the Sun's headline;
    Six TDs including compo chasers Alan Farrell and Maria Bailey forced to refund thousands of euros in expenses after audit

Alan Farrell tried hard to keep the head down when Bailey was found to be chasing a fraudulent claim but the 2 of them are synonymous with insurance fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

BDI wrote: »
    Very high proportion of female tds in the list considering women arnt represented enough in public office.

Well this what happens when the #metoo movement is exploited for gain - free money? "me too"! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

This expenses story is a yearly story, and real tabloid reader fodder. A politician isn’t going to knowingly and deliberately defraud the expenses system just so they can make a few thousand quid. To think otherwise is real fantasy stuff. I think outrage just comes easier to some people as nuance and perspective gives them a migraine.

This expenses story is a yearly story, and real tabloid reader fodder. A politician isn’t going to knowingly and deliberately defraud the expenses system just so they can make a few thousand quid. To think otherwise is real fantasy stuff. I think outrage just comes easier to some people as nuance and perspective gives them a migraine.

:D

Yeah yeah, why don't you go door to door in Dun Laoghaire and Dublin Fingal and convince them of that because Maria and Alan will need all the spoof you can muster :p

(That post made me smile)

• Advertisement

Possibly so but it's a remarkable coincidence that several FG TDs/Senator made this list that also had questionable behaviour before involving financial matters. Maria Bailey attempting to shake down the Dean hotel for 20k in a letter, Mulhern claiming 2k for personal phone calls to her boyfriend. Lastly Alan Farrel attempting to claim for pre existing damage to his car in a court case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

When is Fine Gael going to reform the Seanad given they failed miserably to abolish it?
    These senators are costing us a fortune.

Would'nt lay all the blame at their door.Voted for it's abolition but too many voted to retain it to give the government a bloody nose.

A very ineffectual upper house in ensuring any checks on both executive and the other arm of the legislature ( The Dail ).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

What do you expect, J, this is the “Current Affair” forum. Nuance? You having a laugh?? The majority of posters in here would be, solely, “tabloid” readers.

The “white van” types, three papers across the dash weighed down by garage breakfast rolls. Empty lucozade bottles, wrappers and old, old, “red tops” littering the floor.

Course humour only, nothing “cerebral”. Ogling and objectifying the “dolly birds” in those rags. Giving it all the “I’d ride the hole off Samantha Mumba!!” type comments. All very base.

No, I really think you hit the nail on the head there. All “bar stool” politicos here, only complaining and attacking, none willing to roll up their, “proverbial”, sleeves to get involved locally or make a direct influence.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/ivor-callely-sentenced-to-five-months-in-prison-1.1880454%3Fmode%3Damp&ved=2ahUKEwi2rMCP7pblAhWjoFwKHcKeCHkQFjAAegQIBxAC&usg=AOvVaw0x-X1VNnF8Pi3kAimmeaPr&ampcf=1

pablo128 wrote: »

“Sinn Fein man Aengus O Snodaigh used 434 printer cartridges

Fianna Fail leader Micheal Martin has called for an investigation over the use of 50,600 euros worth of ink printer cartridges by a Sinn Fein TD.

Aengus O Snodaigh used 434 cartridges over a two-year period. The figure emerged in a report in the Irish Daily Mail, based on information released under the Freedom of Information Act.

The cartridges were valued at 130 euros each and 215 were taken in 2007 and another 219 in 2008.”

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-17208690

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Fianna Fail leader Micheal Martin has called for an investigation over the use of 50,600 euros worth of ink printer cartridges by a Sinn Fein TD.

Aengus O Snodaigh used 434 cartridges over a two-year period. The figure emerged in a report in the Irish Daily Mail, based on information released under the Freedom of Information Act.

The cartridges were valued at 130 euros each and 215 were taken in 2007 and another 219 in 2008.”

Did he reimburse, or did the "average industrial wage" not stretch that far?

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Did he reimburse, or did the "average industrial wage" not stretch that far?

Perhaps a kindly “Saxon” left him a little something in his will?

The tide is turning…

From 11 years ago? lol.

Meanwhile 4 FG members forced to pay back wrongfully claimed expenses in recent weeks. Bailey alone had to pay back 2000 euro.

From 11 years ago? lol.

Considering “pablo128”’s post was from 5 years back I didn’t think there was a limit to the “whataboutery”.

P.S. lol.

The tide is turning…

Considering “pablo128”’s post was from 5 years back I didn’t think there was a limit to the “whataboutery”.

P.S. lol.

You thanked a post by Johnny which claimed that Politicains do not deliberately commit fraud. Pablo's link demonstrated that as usual your friend is wrong.
    lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

I have to say I find it pretty pathetic that some will do all they can to obfuscate and obstruct any conversation involving criticism of FG. It's a thread on Boards, why insist on defending FG to the hilt (whilst simultaneously insisting "hey guys, this really isn't a big deal, you're all being hysterical m'kay")?

I can't think of why anyone would devote their time to doing this morning, noon and night, weekends included, without at least being paid. If you're being paid, fair enough, it's a (sh*t) job. If not, then well, I feel for you brah.

The issue here is that 22 politicians were audited and six claimed expenses that they couldn't account for and had to refund same. The refunded amounts total €10k and FG account for 80% of that 10k with one guy alone accounting for 40% of the headline figure. To any sane individual, this raises a hell of a lot of questions and will anger quite a few.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This is the "Current" Affairs forum - let's not drag up things from a decade ago

Also please do not start talking about who thanks what - just stay on topic, and discuss that topic in a civil manner

Thanks

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Let me just add that politics and people supporting particular political parties is of course going to result in people adopting a stance to defend their own political persuasions. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that from either side of the political divide, so please don't start having a dig at people who may be looking at something from a different political perspective than yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

What utter BS. It's not a matter of political perspective whether something is fraud or not. :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

"Because they did it, it is ok for us to do it" In a nutshell, the problem with FG. New politics my hole.

As a party, they and their supporters are so unaware, I do not know if they are taking the piss out of everyone at this stage. F**king clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

pinkyeye wrote: »
    What utter BS. It's not a matter of political perspective whether something is fraud or not. :confused::confused:

Beasty has been very measured in his assessment of things here in my opinion. Not sure why you're so upset at a very uncontenciois statement like that.

The scary thing about the dodgy expenses story is that they were randomly audited.
    The independent audit by consultants, Mazars, which was completed this year, found 6 out of 22 TDs and senators randomly selected for audit had made ineligible claims worth €9,650

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fine-gael-tds-maria-bailey-and-alan-farrell-had-to-refund-oireachtas-expenses-1.4046756

The politicians and amount of invalid expenses were;
    TDs
    Alan Farrell (FG) - €4,214.79;
    Maria Bailey (FG) - €1,977.11
    Senators
    Michelle Mulherin (FG) - €2,006.73;
    Lynn Ruane (Ind) - €978.81;
    Colette Kelleher (Ind) - €245.85
    Jerry Buttimer (FG) - €227.16.

Fine Gael had 87% of the dodgy expenses.

Random audits? Frauds like Farrell and Bailey should be audited every week!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Not shocked by the number of fg names on the list. Shocked that theres no PbP or SF names though, well known that theyre hiding fraud in broad daylight

When you're on a randomly audited list that has Mick Lowry on the honest side and you on the dishonest side it's probably time to reflect on your values in life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Not shocked by the number of fg names on the list. Shocked that theres no PbP or SF names though, well known that theyre hiding fraud in broad daylight

It's well known - yet a random audit didn't smoke them out.

As previously stated, when the likes of Lowry isn't rumbled fiddling with a random audit - well then you're on the wrong side of right.

Advertisement