Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

People will get it for FF7 and TLOU2, hopefully GS have their tradeup deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Will we ever see a full wireless console ???

Reckon a power plug would be hard to go wireless but maybe a chromecast like device for HDMI port etc

Ah jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

May be a tad early but thinking ahead with a view to pre-ordering I would be very nervous of gamestop with the position there are in at the moment, i'm wondering would they even survive until next christmas, thinking if I pre order smyths might be the safer bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Getting it day 1. Mostly to replace my loud as **** Pro! I look forward to buying a 2nd copy of TLOU 2 & Cyberpunk also :)

Hopefully Gamestop stay open long enough to offer a nice console trade in deal.

Only thing I don't like the sound of is the different tension settings on the triggers. Sounds cool how aiming a bow will have more tension than aiming a gun but I hope they use decent parts for the trigger. And please a longer ****ing battery life.

The always on haptics from walking on different textures to firing guns/bows makes me worried that the battery life will be at worst the same as the DS4.

The always on haptics from walking on different textures to firing guns/bows makes me worried that the battery life will be at worst the same as the DS4.

Heard it has a bigger battery to compensate think that was in the wired article

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

May be a tad early but thinking ahead with a view to pre-ordering I would be very nervous of gamestop with the position there are in at the moment, i'm wondering would they even survive until next christmas, thinking if I pre order smyths might be the safer bet.

Best bet would be Smyths for a pre order.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭Varik

How did Smyths do for the PS4 online pre-orders , Gamestop messed it up and didn't have anyway for people to change to the limited edition launch sku after they put it up early.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭curryman

https://www.gamestop.ie/PlayStation%205/Games/72504/playstation-5-console-pre-order-in-store-today

Didnt take them long. Not a hope in hell would i part with cash to them

curryman wrote: »
    https://www.gamestop.ie/PlayStation%205/Games/72504/playstation-5-console-pre-order-in-store-today

Didnt take them long. Not a hope in hell would i part with cash to them

Tend to agree, gonna stay Irish on this one and go with Smyth's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I always stay away from them for games , but they are usually grand for consoles , the only thing i'd be worried about is that they'd close

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,384 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I always stay away from them for games , but they are usually grand for consoles , the only thing i'd be worried about is that they'd close

Pay by card and you're covered by visa or mastercard. Pay by cash or trade ins and you're at the mercy of their future.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Fact is you just can't trust any b&m to stay open in this day and age. When closures get announced, they can be shut quick. I wouldn't mind preordering a console for 5 or 10 to keep it in my name but postingt off a console in advance would be madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,384 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Fact is you just can't trust any b&m to stay open in this day and age. When closures get announced, they can be shut quick. I wouldn't mind preordering a console for 5 or 10 to keep it in my name but postingt off a console in advance would be madness.

Agreed. They usually massively overstate the price as well so it would crazy for anything more than a nominal deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

The handy thing about Gamestop was with the PS4 I preordered it when it was announced and use to drop in every friday and pay off a little bit here and there you can't do that with smyths or the rest , I don't have discipline to put it away myself at home

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The handy thing about Gamestop was with the PS4 I preordered it when it was announced and use to drop in every friday and pay off a little bit here and there you can't do that with smyths or the rest , I don't have discipline to put it away myself at home

Just put it in a credit union account. If it's not in your wallet or able to spend online it helps.

I wouldn't rush to preorder the PS5 yet, I think I ordered my Switch around 10 days before release & picked up mine on release day.
    Gamestop will probably not have an amazing Christmas 2019 sales wise. Sony & Microsoft are preparing for next gen systems while a few big games like Cyberpunk, LOU2, Doom Ethernal, Avengers & Final Fantasy VII aren't out for a few months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

These sweeping changes with Sony being more centralized in America and gutting the European offices seem totally boneheaded to me. Sony Europe was a huge part of why the console became so successful in Europe, from incredible advertising efforts to pushing for Europe focused releases and putting pressure on Sony Japan to allow developers to offer NTSC modes on PS2 after the ****ing awful European release of Devil May Cry. Could really affect PS5 sales in Europe and leave an opening for Nintendo or MS to claw back support.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I will be pre-ordering, just not until a couple of months before it's due to come out. But it will be mine on release day!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I will be pre-ordering, just not until a couple of months before it's due to come out. But it will be mine on release day!

Same as. Been really happy with the PS4 throughout its life and can't see any reason to jump ship, especially if they bring back backwards compatibility. Launch day purchase for me unless they mightily screw something up along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If pre-order with a trade-in deal, do you have to give your console when ordering, or when collecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

CastorTroy wrote: »
    If pre-order with a trade-in deal, do you have to give your console when ordering, or when collecting?

Iirc, when I traded my Pro for GoW Pro, I had to bring it in day before release so GS could check it over.

I'll be day one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I bought off amazon for the PS4, I got it on launch day with no issue and I used to live in the middle of no where in the west of Ireland.Ill be doing it again unless there is some serious deal going somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

.G. wrote: »
    If it looks like that dev kit with the big V in it I genuinely can't see myself buying it, its hideous. Really hope it doesn't, I've always owned whatever Playstation was out at a particular time.

That's the oddest reason I heard for someone not buying it. What the console physically looks like? Who cares!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Could have a nice cooling setup if it kept the V (or is it a 5!).

Right now a single ~120mm fan is taking air in from the sides and front and pushing that through a heat sink and then the PSU and out the back. APU is connected to the heatsink by some heat pipes and everything else is via a conductive cooling pad to the EMI which is connected to the heat sink.

Pic, Empty area on left is where the power supply is normally. Right is front of PS4 and left is rear.

Laptops are getting far better in recent years and a lot so since the PS4 would have been designed X years before it's release. Going from having the CPU as near to a edge as possible to a 1/2 heat pipes to a larger heat sink and to huge runs in some modern high performance ones.

Could have some large fans on a relatively low rpm (compared to current gens single 120) on the outer edges pulling air in through heatsinks from the front of that V

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Cienciano wrote: »
    That's the oddest reason I heard for someone not buying it. What the console physically looks like? Who cares!

Erm, I do! It looks horrible. If it looks like that I'll pass, that's it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I love it. It looks like a statement in engineering with a purpose.

I think it's a pity that its not going to look like that when its released though.

It don't really matter what it looks like though as it Will be mine on launch day :P

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Cienciano wrote: »

The fact the devkit design is patented makes me believe some design elements like the V will work it’s way into the console.

Sony historically design very well engineered and attractive consoles, so I’m not worried about what it looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭xtal191

Am8IHTa.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sony historically design very well engineered and attractive consoles, so I’m not worried about what it looks like.

Eh, can't agree there.

PS1 looked gorgeous but the disc drive was plastic in initial models and wore out after about 4 months of use. Took them a while to iron out dodgy disc drives in later models.

PS2 was one of the ugliest looking consoles ever made and the disc drive was such a disaster that a class action lawsuit was brought against Sony which they lost.

The PSP had disc drive issues with early UMD drives which spit out UMDs at random as well as dead pixel issues.

PS3 had blue ray drive issues and also issues with the GPU overheating and coming off the motherboard. Fingerprint and dust magnet cover and ugly as sin.

The PS Vita was.... ok that console was fantastic but so fantastic Sony dropped it :pac:

PS4, more disc drive issues. My early model will eject discs at random.

Sony usually have very poor hardware designs in their initial models so I'm not going to be that optimistic it will be a well designed console as I've had issues with all of their consoles other than the Vita.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It could look like a horse's arse but as long as it's quiet, i won't give a ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

They are all iconic designs and except for the PS1, never safe or boring.
    I love the style of the PS4 and it was bettered by the Pro & slim models.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement