Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PlayStation 5 - Now with FAQ in OP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

While there’s much more to share about PlayStation 5 in the year ahead, we have plenty of blockbuster experiences coming your way on PS4, including Death Stranding, The Last of Us Part II, and Ghost of Tsushima. I’d like to thank all PlayStation fans for continuing the journey with us, as we embark on the future of games.

Nice to hear it's still aiming for PS4 at least, likely next summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

If it looks like that dev kit with the big V in it I genuinely can't see myself buying it, its hideous. Really hope it doesn't, I've always owned whatever Playstation was out at a particular time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

.G. wrote: »
    If it looks like that dev kit with the big V in it I genuinely can't see myself buying it, its hideous. Really hope it doesn't, I've always owned whatever Playstation was out at a particular time.

the ps2 was the only dev-kit that looked like the finished product. I doubt the 5 will

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Gets the hype rolling but also, and I'm open to correction on this by someone who follows gaming news more closely than I, but it feels like the speculation for previous consoles ran away with itself somewhat with the effect that people ended up reacting a little disappointingly when they found out the specs weren't going to be as out-of-this-world as the "leaks" suggested so in that regard it also manages expectations.
    Very good point and with that in mind we can see some hints which are designed to manage expectations.

Cerny talked (in April) about using the ray tracing hardware for audio .. someone today talked about ray traced shadows. Both of these could be interpreted as hints towards ray tracing hardware that's a little underwhelming.

Cerny mentioned how the use of an SSD avoids the need to dupe assets accross a HDD and thus saves space. About the least interesting/exciting aspect of using an SSD so why mention it ? Perhaps to prepare people for a fairly small SSD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Hmm, he said "In time for Holiday 2020", so may even be September or October.
    Looking at previous PS console releases, none released worldwide at the same time.

The New Xbox is Holiday 2020 as well, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Hmm, he said "In time for Holiday 2020", so may even be September or October.
    Looking at previous PS console releases, none released worldwide at the same time.

The New Xbox is Holiday 2020 as well, isn't it?

Holidays in the US is generally late November (post Thanksgiving) until sometime in January.

September or October are firmly within 'Fall' season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Basically ray tracing would be ambient occlusion, display of light through windows etc, the 2nd level is shadows etc on surfaces and then you have the full monty for the third level.
    We’re only going to see the first 2 levels on the new consoles if indeed the we even get the second level.
    Big talk by Sony on the SSD which is the least interesting spec of the new consoles or should be.
    I hope they don’t cheap out and do a 256gb model. Would be a complete farce. Minimum 500gb really at least.
    Regarding the looks I couldn’t care less if it looked like the Roseanne Barr’s ass. As long as it quiet and plenty of cooling which is far more important,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Holidays in the US is generally late November (post Thanksgiving) until sometime in January.

They'd want it out with a decent bit of time before black Friday.

Yeah, I know that part, but what I meant was "in time for" means it could be just before.
    Though PS3 and PS4 both released in November in the States

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

"Holidays" in the gaming industry can be anything from Oct, Nov and Dec. But usually it's used if they are targeting Oct but there is a high risk of a slip to Nov.

The perfect launch time is to launch in Oct. Get a second boost for Thanks Giving/Black Friday and a third run for Christmas. About 60% of the sales happen in that 3 month window. The other 40% in the rest of the 9 months. It's why that launch window is so crowded.

Since US thanks giving next year is the 26th Nov I reckon around the 15th Nov would be a good guess.

Prob see Xbox push for September/Oct. They can't be second to market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

**** it , I'm in , bought the last 2 on release and the ps2 I think the ps1 is the only one i haven't gotten on release day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I actually don't think it looks that bad. It's certainly no Microsoft monstrosity! It's different at least. But I do agree it's a very big change from previous gens, and it wouldn't look as subtle beside the tv.

I initially got excited about the DS5, but then I remembered, isn't that what the Xbox One controller is? Not a bad thing, the One controller had a lot of better aspects compared to the DS4 , but I still prefer the shape/hold/feel of the DS4. Hope the DS5 is similar shaped at least, don't think Sony would change it too drastically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,882 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Will we ever see a full wireless console ???

Reckon a power plug would be hard to go wireless but maybe a chromecast like device for HDMI port etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Maysa07

I wonder if it'll be delivered on time. There's infighting, someone left and confusion over its direction.

https://fortune.com/2019/10/01/sony-playstation-boss-exits/?fbclid=IwAR2OyHYGAweKeqzm226DPJOwR2dDZ9KFdQ4DVfED4tF_Ln9VIYMG6J7baeY

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,826 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wouldn't call that infighting. And worldwide studios would be overseeing software development, not hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Getting it day 1. Mostly to replace my loud as **** Pro! I look forward to buying a 2nd copy of TLOU 2 & Cyberpunk also :)

Hopefully Gamestop stay open long enough to offer a nice console trade in deal.

Only thing I don't like the sound of is the different tension settings on the triggers. Sounds cool how aiming a bow will have more tension than aiming a gun but I hope they use decent parts for the trigger. And please a longer ****ing battery life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,826 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I will hold off getting a PS5 for as long as possible. The PS4 has been the most disappointing and under used console I've ever bought and I feel things could even get worse with the PS5. It just doesn't make sense when you own a PC.

Saying that, the minute bloodborne 2 or some other From Software game gets announced exclusively for it I'll probably be there day 1 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Day 1 if Bluepoint's rumored Demon Souls remake comes with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I will tell myself with certainty that I'll wait at least 6 months, then I'll cave in the first week and buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Xenji wrote: »
    Day 1 if Bluepoint's rumored Demon Souls remake comes with it.

With 6th archstone accessible!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

People will get it for FF7 and TLOU2, hopefully GS have their tradeup deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Will we ever see a full wireless console ???

Reckon a power plug would be hard to go wireless but maybe a chromecast like device for HDMI port etc

Ah jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

May be a tad early but thinking ahead with a view to pre-ordering I would be very nervous of gamestop with the position there are in at the moment, i'm wondering would they even survive until next christmas, thinking if I pre order smyths might be the safer bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Getting it day 1. Mostly to replace my loud as **** Pro! I look forward to buying a 2nd copy of TLOU 2 & Cyberpunk also :)

Hopefully Gamestop stay open long enough to offer a nice console trade in deal.

Only thing I don't like the sound of is the different tension settings on the triggers. Sounds cool how aiming a bow will have more tension than aiming a gun but I hope they use decent parts for the trigger. And please a longer ****ing battery life.

The always on haptics from walking on different textures to firing guns/bows makes me worried that the battery life will be at worst the same as the DS4.

The always on haptics from walking on different textures to firing guns/bows makes me worried that the battery life will be at worst the same as the DS4.

Heard it has a bigger battery to compensate think that was in the wired article

• Advertisement

May be a tad early but thinking ahead with a view to pre-ordering I would be very nervous of gamestop with the position there are in at the moment, i'm wondering would they even survive until next christmas, thinking if I pre order smyths might be the safer bet.

Best bet would be Smyths for a pre order.

How did Smyths do for the PS4 online pre-orders , Gamestop messed it up and didn't have anyway for people to change to the limited edition launch sku after they put it up early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭curryman

https://www.gamestop.ie/PlayStation%205/Games/72504/playstation-5-console-pre-order-in-store-today

Didnt take them long. Not a hope in hell would i part with cash to them

curryman wrote: »
    https://www.gamestop.ie/PlayStation%205/Games/72504/playstation-5-console-pre-order-in-store-today

Didnt take them long. Not a hope in hell would i part with cash to them

Tend to agree, gonna stay Irish on this one and go with Smyth's

I always stay away from them for games , but they are usually grand for consoles , the only thing i'd be worried about is that they'd close

• Advertisement

I always stay away from them for games , but they are usually grand for consoles , the only thing i'd be worried about is that they'd close

Pay by card and you're covered by visa or mastercard. Pay by cash or trade ins and you're at the mercy of their future.

Fact is you just can't trust any b&m to stay open in this day and age. When closures get announced, they can be shut quick. I wouldn't mind preordering a console for 5 or 10 to keep it in my name but postingt off a console in advance would be madness.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Fact is you just can't trust any b&m to stay open in this day and age. When closures get announced, they can be shut quick. I wouldn't mind preordering a console for 5 or 10 to keep it in my name but postingt off a console in advance would be madness.

Agreed. They usually massively overstate the price as well so it would crazy for anything more than a nominal deposit.

The handy thing about Gamestop was with the PS4 I preordered it when it was announced and use to drop in every friday and pay off a little bit here and there you can't do that with smyths or the rest , I don't have discipline to put it away myself at home

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The handy thing about Gamestop was with the PS4 I preordered it when it was announced and use to drop in every friday and pay off a little bit here and there you can't do that with smyths or the rest , I don't have discipline to put it away myself at home

Just put it in a credit union account. If it's not in your wallet or able to spend online it helps.

I wouldn't rush to preorder the PS5 yet, I think I ordered my Switch around 10 days before release & picked up mine on release day.
    Gamestop will probably not have an amazing Christmas 2019 sales wise. Sony & Microsoft are preparing for next gen systems while a few big games like Cyberpunk, LOU2, Doom Ethernal, Avengers & Final Fantasy VII aren't out for a few months.

These sweeping changes with Sony being more centralized in America and gutting the European offices seem totally boneheaded to me. Sony Europe was a huge part of why the console became so successful in Europe, from incredible advertising efforts to pushing for Europe focused releases and putting pressure on Sony Japan to allow developers to offer NTSC modes on PS2 after the ****ing awful European release of Devil May Cry. Could really affect PS5 sales in Europe and leave an opening for Nintendo or MS to claw back support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I will be pre-ordering, just not until a couple of months before it's due to come out. But it will be mine on release day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,209 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I will be pre-ordering, just not until a couple of months before it's due to come out. But it will be mine on release day!

Same as. Been really happy with the PS4 throughout its life and can't see any reason to jump ship, especially if they bring back backwards compatibility. Launch day purchase for me unless they mightily screw something up along the way.

If pre-order with a trade-in deal, do you have to give your console when ordering, or when collecting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

CastorTroy wrote: »
    If pre-order with a trade-in deal, do you have to give your console when ordering, or when collecting?

Iirc, when I traded my Pro for GoW Pro, I had to bring it in day before release so GS could check it over.

I'll be day one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I bought off amazon for the PS4, I got it on launch day with no issue and I used to live in the middle of no where in the west of Ireland.Ill be doing it again unless there is some serious deal going somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

That's the oddest reason I heard for someone not buying it. What the console physically looks like? Who cares!

Could have a nice cooling setup if it kept the V (or is it a 5!).

Right now a single ~120mm fan is taking air in from the sides and front and pushing that through a heat sink and then the PSU and out the back. APU is connected to the heatsink by some heat pipes and everything else is via a conductive cooling pad to the EMI which is connected to the heat sink.

Pic, Empty area on left is where the power supply is normally. Right is front of PS4 and left is rear.

Laptops are getting far better in recent years and a lot so since the PS4 would have been designed X years before it's release. Going from having the CPU as near to a edge as possible to a 1/2 heat pipes to a larger heat sink and to huge runs in some modern high performance ones.

Could have some large fans on a relatively low rpm (compared to current gens single 120) on the outer edges pulling air in through heatsinks from the front of that V

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Cienciano wrote: »
    That's the oddest reason I heard for someone not buying it. What the console physically looks like? Who cares!

Erm, I do! It looks horrible. If it looks like that I'll pass, that's it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I love it. It looks like a statement in engineering with a purpose.

I think it's a pity that its not going to look like that when its released though.

It don't really matter what it looks like though as it Will be mine on launch day :P

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Cienciano wrote: »

The fact the devkit design is patented makes me believe some design elements like the V will work it’s way into the console.

Sony historically design very well engineered and attractive consoles, so I’m not worried about what it looks like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

Am8IHTa.png

Sony historically design very well engineered and attractive consoles, so I’m not worried about what it looks like.

Eh, can't agree there.

PS1 looked gorgeous but the disc drive was plastic in initial models and wore out after about 4 months of use. Took them a while to iron out dodgy disc drives in later models.

PS2 was one of the ugliest looking consoles ever made and the disc drive was such a disaster that a class action lawsuit was brought against Sony which they lost.

The PSP had disc drive issues with early UMD drives which spit out UMDs at random as well as dead pixel issues.

PS3 had blue ray drive issues and also issues with the GPU overheating and coming off the motherboard. Fingerprint and dust magnet cover and ugly as sin.

The PS Vita was.... ok that console was fantastic but so fantastic Sony dropped it :pac:

PS4, more disc drive issues. My early model will eject discs at random.

Sony usually have very poor hardware designs in their initial models so I'm not going to be that optimistic it will be a well designed console as I've had issues with all of their consoles other than the Vita.

It could look like a horse's arse but as long as it's quiet, i won't give a ****.

• Advertisement

They are all iconic designs and except for the PS1, never safe or boring.
    I love the style of the PS4 and it was bettered by the Pro & slim models.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement