Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LGBTQIA+

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

Does the 'A' stand for 'attack Helicopters'? I identify as an attack Helicopter. If not, THAT'S RACIST!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Whats your proof of this?

"Trans men (FTM) were found to have the same prevalence of
    lifetime suicide attempts (46%) regardless of whether
    they thought others can tell they are transgender.

Female-assigned cross-dressers and gender
    non-conforming/genderqueer people assigned female
    at birth – the prevalence of lifetime suicide attempts
    was found to be higher among those who said other
    people “occasionally” or “never” can tell they are
    transgender or gender non-conforming, compared
    to those who said that other people “always,” most
    of the time,” or “sometimes” can tell. "

https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/AFSP-Williams-Suicide-Report-Final.pdf

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The idea that the suicide rates are linked to social pressure is false,
    Not exactly, a lot of studies highlight the opposite. For example....
    The suicide attempt rate among transgender persons ranges from 32% to 50% across the countries. Gender-based victimization, discrimination, bullying, violence, being rejected by the family, friends, and community; harassment by intimate partner, family members, police and public; discrimination and ill treatment at health-care system are the major risk factors that influence the suicidal behavior among transgender persons. (Virupaksha, Muralidhar, and Ramakrishna 2016)

Link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5178031/

The study above does highlight the links between social pressure and suicide across different countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I always thought the Q stood for 'questioning' as in they weren't sure of their orientation?

What's the IA+

Q stands for both, Queer or Questioning. Plenty of people self identify as queer as a means to say "not straight" without necessarily pidgeon holing themselves with another more prescriptive label. It's a reclaimed word, although there are some who still don't like it's use.

The IA+ is Intersex, Asexual, and 'plus' – as in "plus anyone else who wants or needs the support of the community".

The acronym is imperfect and people and groups add letters from time to time to be more inclusive, welcoming, and supportive to more people. It's generally agreed that whatever acronym is used or displayed, it's not supposed to be limiting. The other letters are always there in spirit.

It's still most commonly written as LGBT or LGBT+, though adding the Q is pretty popular too.

To back up my other point

"A 2011 study at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden produced the most illuminating results yet regarding the transgendered, evidence that should give advocates pause. The long-term study—up to 30 years—followed 324 people who had sex-reassignment surgery. The study revealed that beginning about 10 years after having the surgery, the transgendered began to experience increasing mental difficulties. Most shockingly, their suicide mortality rose almost 20-fold above the comparable nontransgender population. This disturbing result has as yet no explanation but probably reflects the growing sense of isolation reported by the aging transgendered after surgery. The high suicide rate certainly challenges the surgery prescription."

http://www.wsj.com/articles/paul-mchugh-transgender-surgery-isnt-the-solution-1402615120

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Can we all accept that non straight is the most accurate and elegant collective term even though that will cause epic whinging?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Bambi wrote: »
    Can we all accept that non straight is the most accurate and elegant collective term even though that will cause epic whinging?

No

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

No

I can't think of a more accurate or elegant term, can you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

It does, because if you start giving crazies a platform that embezzles itself into social norms without scientific evidence, that sets a dangerous precedent.

Shows your attitude to mental illness...

"A 2011 study at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden produced the most illuminating results yet regarding the transgendered, evidence that should give advocates pause. The long-term study—up to 30 years—followed 324 people who had sex-reassignment surgery. The study revealed that beginning about 10 years after having the surgery, the transgendered began to experience increasing mental difficulties. Most shockingly, their suicide mortality rose almost 20-fold above the comparable nontransgender population. This disturbing result has as yet no explanation but probably reflects the growing sense of isolation reported by the aging transgendered after surgery. The high suicide rate certainly challenges the surgery prescription."

http://www.wsj.com/articles/paul-mchugh-transgender-surgery-isnt-the-solution-1402615120

Thats an OP-ED tbf

• Advertisement

The Swedish study that has been thoroughly debunked?

http://transadvocate.com/fact-check-study-shows-transition-makes-trans-people-suicidal_n_15483.htm

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

snowflaker wrote: »
    Shows your attitude to mental illness...

You know nothing about me.

The crazies are the ones who enable such behavior, I don't blame the victims.

Terry Pratchet

You know nothing about me.

The crazies are the ones who enable such behavior, I don't blame the victims.

referring to people as "crazies" shows it up perfectly imho

Maybe "diverse SOGI" is probably more accurate but not so elegant.

Terry Pratchet

The Swedish study that has been thoroughly debunked?

But what, a pro trans site?

Color me skeptical. The study speaks for itself.

If all else fails call the guy who wrote it a homophobe and bigot sourcing a blog site.

The study was printed in major publications.

But what, a pro trans site?

Color me skeptical. The study speaks for itself.

If all else fails call the guy who wrote a homophobe and bigot.

Know your sources. You are posting extremely biased transphobic and homophobic sources that have been discredited.

Terry Pratchet

referring to people as "crazies" shows it up perfectly imho

Yup, that's what they are.

Same as fat enablers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

People, just people.

It does, because if you start giving crazies a platform that embezzles itself into social norms without scientific evidence, that sets a dangerous precedent.

The acronym has nothing to do with science, or the suicide rate of transgender people. That's all way of topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

They're worse than world of warcraft for levelling up

Who exactly are "they"

That's all way of topic.

The US army now have to enroll transgender people as a requirement because they succumbed to Political pressure.

Can you tell me how that makes America safer?

The US army now have to enroll transgender people as a requirement because they succumbed to Political pressure.

thats not my quote

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    It used to be GLBT until the lesbians threw their weight around and changed it to them first.

As you can imagine, the gays were helpless in its defence.

Were they ? how so,? im gay and I am curious as to why you think I as a gay man was helpless

I can tell you what LGBTQIA+ means.

thats not my quote

Apologies. Boards is acting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I always thought the Q stood for 'questioning' as in they weren't sure of their orientation?

What's the IA+

I think it's a grade in the Junior Cert.

No

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

During the cold war spies were always on the look out for people who were gay and in the military. They could be blackmailed because obviously if they were in the military they were in the closet.

Not caring about being gay or trans means that these people can't be blackmailed (Well, they could about other stuff but so can anyone).

So that's how america is safer.

It's also about not stopping someone from serving when it makes no difference to their ability.

So it's a win-win.

• Advertisement

Maybe "diverse SOGI" is probably more accurate but not so elegant.

I demand elegance

Otherwise we'll wind up with a queue of letters worthy of a monty python sketch

Advertisement