Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LGBTQIA+

Options
  • 08-07-2017 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭

Ok back in the day we had LGB, which was grand, the they added the T, and recently they added the Q
    But today Ive seen that IA+ have been added
    We have thankfully legalized homosexuality, and we voted to for gay marriage, but do the gay community want to commander the whole alphabet ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Alphabet? Did you just assume my writing system?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

It's not really the gay community. I've heard quite a lot of them slagging off the lengths to which full acronyms can get and really, it's not necessary. Asexualism is completely unrelated to homosexuality for a start. LGB was really one specific range, and if you really wanted to, LGBCis or LGBS (straight) if one wanted to gather the main four. Asexuality is kiiiinda like calling Atheism a religion, it's kinda related but mostly not really. Transgender is imo completely different, but I get the drawing them in under the same umbrella as ..protection in a way. "We will accept you because we know what it's like".

After that, it's like trying to remember a phone number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

What does the IA+ part mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

What I legitimately don't get is why "T" is grouped with LGB. Trans isn't an orientation/sexuality. Is there ever any issue with including the T?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I mean really, does it actually matter or impact your life in any way?

No? I didn't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Samaris wrote: »
    It's not really the gay community. I've heard quite a lot of them slagging off the lengths to which full acronyms can get and really, it's not necessary. Asexualism is completely unrelated to homosexuality for a start. LGB was really one specific range, and if you really wanted to, LGBCis or LGBS (straight) if one wanted to gather the main four. Asexuality is kiiiinda like calling Atheism a religion, it's kinda related but mostly not really. Transgender is imo completely different, but I get the drawing them in under the same umbrella as ..protection in a way. "We will accept you because we know what it's like".

After that, it's like trying to remember a phone number.

That was always my understanding of the LGBTQIA acronym too, that it was a politically motivated umbrella group, not unlike I suppose the way Atheist Ireland, the Evangelical Alliance the Ahmadiyya Muslim community (and there are a few others, representatives of the traveller community), have all banded together with a common goal in mind.

Some groups though have more political and social capital than others, and some groups are just ridiculously over-represented in the media which would leave someone with the impression that "they're getting a bit ahead of themselves" :D

I dunno about you OP but my favorites were aleays QUILTBAG and FABGLITTER, and that's going back what must be about 20 odd years I've been aware of those terms :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Sonics2k wrote: »

No? I didn't think so.

Its a relevant discussion,
    But if i called a gay guy a queer id be called a homophobic, but queer is part of their acronym, is that not a bit of a double standard ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Its a relevant discussion,
    But if i called a gay guy a queer id be called a homophobic, but queer is part of their acronym, is that not a bit of a double standard ?

Like the N word. You can use it to describe oneself, not to belittle another

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Oh look another heterosexist post on After Hours!

Ye are obsessed with us!!

Good Gawd Gurlz Geta Grip

..Well, that escalated quickly.

• Advertisement

Im far from a homophobe but i find it offensive to have Q, queer in the acronym, and the other letters have nothing to do with the gay community.
    Can I as a white man say "**** lives matter" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

When will they add S for schizophrenic and other mental illnesses?

I made the mistake of lumping the T in before, I draw the line at LGB.

Mod-Banned

The idea is that it's reclaiming the word from those that would use it as a pejorative. -Maybe- someday it would be acceptable to use one of those words without it having the old connotations around it; I'd say that would be more likely with "queer" than "n*gger" as the latter has been an insult specifically used by (mostly) whites to black people for centuries, whereas "queer" hasn't been a pejorative that long or that incessantly.

I think "Queer" (and I might be wrong on this) is used for anyone that isn't of a strict binary gender/straight in terms of sexuality, but I might be wrong on that. It does seem a bit redundant as it's way too broad if that -is- the case, but then again, I'm not sure it was all ever meant to be scientific-level classification anyway. People take the terms or don't take them as they wish and feel them applicable to themselves. Maybe it helps some to be able to have an accepted word that people (mostly?) understand, for others, they feel labelled by it. Always found "cis" a bit ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I always thought the Q stood for 'questioning' as in they weren't sure of their orientation?

What's the IA+

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

They're worse than world of warcraft for levelling up

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Bring in 'S' for schizophrenia? Lumping the 'T' in?. What is the distinction for you? All LGB are mentally unwell or?.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I always thought the Q stood for 'questioning' as in they weren't sure of their orientation?

What's the IA+

Intersex, Asexual and the "+" stands for all other sexualities, genders and sexes not included.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

It used to be GLBT until the lesbians threw their weight around and changed it to them first.

As you can imagine, the gays were helpless in its defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Im far from a homophobe but i find it offensive to have Q, queer in the acronym, and the other letters have nothing to do with the gay community.
    Can I as a white man say "**** lives matter" ?

Offensive? :confused:

It's basically the idea that they're all minority groups, so, the whole umbrella terminology is a bit like a union of sorts. They had common interests amongst themselves at one point, but now they're all equally vying for representation so they're all claiming to be a more oppressed minority than the others. For example only a couple of months back, the LGBT society in a university in the UK tried to have gay men excluded from the society as they were deemed to be not as oppressed as the other minorities.

I wouldn't get too het up about it, it's a bit tiresome and facepalm inducing at times to watch the various groups play identity politics, but tbey really don't affect my daily life at all so I'm not too bothered about them.

You can of course say "**** lives matter" (you just did!), but whether anyone would take you seriously or not, is another matter entirely.

Samaris wrote: »
    The idea is that it's reclaiming the word from those that would use it as a pejorative. -Maybe- someday it would be acceptable to use one of those words without it having the old connotations around it; I'd say that would be more likely with "queer" than "n*gger" as the latter has been an insult specifically used by (mostly) whites to black people for centuries, whereas "queer" hasn't been a pejorative that long or that incessantly.

I think "Queer" (and I might be wrong on this) is used for anyone that isn't of a strict binary gender/straight in terms of sexuality, but I might be wrong on that. It does seem a bit redundant as it's way too broad if that -is- the case, but then again, I'm not sure it was all ever meant to be scientific-level classification anyway. People take the terms or don't take them as they wish and feel them applicable to themselves. Maybe it helps some to be able to have an accepted word that people (mostly?) understand, for others, they feel labelled by it. Always found "cis" a bit ridiculous.

Thats my point why do people need to reclame any word

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

A lads, I thought LGBTQIA stood for mothers against dyslexia.

mzungu wrote: »
    Intersex, Asexual and the "+" stands for all other sexualities, genders and sexes not included.[/QUOTE]

Including genders and sexes that haven't been made up yet.

mzungu wrote: »
    Intersex, Asexual and the "+" stands for all other sexualities, genders and sexes not included.

Can you explain the above now, and im sure before you post your reply three more will be created

Bring in 'S' for schizophrenia? Lumping the 'T' in?. What is the distinction for you? All LGB are mentally unwell or?.

Suicide rates are the same for transgender people before and after surgery, both are in excess of 40%.

The idea that the suicide rates are linked to social pressure is false, there's further studies that show those who come out and say they're transgender have the same suicide rate as those who don't.

There's never been suicide rates so high in human history, besides perhaps Jews living under Nazi rule in Nazi Germany.

Those who sympathize with it are enablers, the same way someone who has schizophrenia is told the hallucinations they're seeing are real.

The whole thing is a consequence of political correctness and social justice getting out of hand. Everyone is a victim of something.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What does the IA+ part mean?

It's all greek to me

Suicide rates are the same for transgender people before and after surgery, both are in excess of 40%.

The idea that the suicide rates are linked to social pressure is false, there's further studies that show those who come out and say they're transgender have the same suicide rate as those who don't.

There's never been suicide rates so high in human history, besides perhaps Jews living under Nazi rule in Nazi Germany.

Those who sympathize with it are enablers, the same way someone who has schizophrenia is told the hallucinations they're seeing are real.

The whole thing is a consequence of political correctness and social justice getting out of hand. Everyone is a victim of something.

I have seen you write out some outright garbage statements over the last year, but this one takes the cake.

I've known Trans people since I was a wee-lad in the mid 80's before the whole SJW thing kicked off.

The suicide rate amongst gay and lesbian people is also massively out of proportion, which can be be put down to social pressure, abuse, discrimination and bullying, or are you saying they are gay or lesbian as a result of enablers?

I'm not a fan of the current SJW/victim thing going on on the internet and Universities, but you're saying some awful nonsense here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Look at you pretending like you care...

Sonics2k wrote: »

No? I didn't think so.

It does, because if you start giving crazies a platform that embezzles itself into social norms without scientific evidence, that sets a dangerous precedent.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The idea that the suicide rates are linked to social pressure is false

Whats your proof of this?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

It does, because if you start giving crazies a platform that embezzles itself into social norms without scientific evidence, that sets a dangerous precedent.

No, it really doesn't.

People were claiming that being gay was a mental illness some 40-50 years ago, innocent people were treated to shock therapy to 'cure' them.

Even now, gay 'conversion therapy' causes massive mental trauma to people due to the treatment they receive.

Advertisement