Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do shopping centers annoy you?

• 07-07-2017 9:10am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7

I know a few people who refuse to enter shopping centers, what is it about shopping centers that annoy you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭GBX

What annoys me about them is the ignorant people pushing trolleys or prams who take the ankles off ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The people and the things, mostly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's not that I refuse to enter them they are just not very pleasant. The air is bad, it's hot, crowded and on Sundays they are full of sad people who think shopping is a family day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

They're soulless places with annoying music. Queuing in traffic. Bad planning (Mahon Point Cork, huge complex including cinema and food court - only one entrance).

I'll go to one if I need something specific, get it and then leave but I wouldn't go for fun (some people view a visit to shopping centres as a recreational activity). I much prefer towns and city centres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

The noise. Everyone needs to shut up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Slow walkers! Get the fook out of my way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Any more than a half an hour in a large shopping centre and I'm absolutely knackered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Too big, too crowded, soulless. Captive audience. I hate them.

I much prefer to stroll around the city and enjoy the experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Full of knackers wearing luminous tops and orange skin

Or posh twots, orange skin optional.

And I'm the only normal one I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They're full of people "going shopping", that's why they annoy me. I don't shop for shopping's sake, on the off-chance I might see something I think I might want, I either research it and buy it online, or else I find a bricks and mortar shop that has what I want, go there, buy what I want and then return home. Hundreds and thousands of lemmings wandering around muttering "Ooooh, that's nice", "Oh, that's a bargain, I must have that" isn't my idea of fun.

Similarly massive shops like Ikea that take hours to navigate from start to finish give me claustrophobia, horrible places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Slow walkers! Get the fook out of my way.
    Indeed! I don't got to shopping centres much so I'm more likely to experience this in supermarkets.

But too many people, and not having enough reason to go to shopping centres is why I don't go to them more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Once im not with my wife or daughter they are fine

I know what i want before i arrive and go to a shop and buy the things i need and leave

Imagine doing that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Richcoffee

I know what i want before i arrive and go to a shop a buy the things i need and leave

Imagine doing that

What do your wife and daughter do to taint your shopping center experience :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

I know what i want before i arrive and go to a shop and buy the things i need and leave

Imagine doing that
    Exactly I'm the same straight in get what I came for and out if she's with me aww sure "lets go in here for a look" then 20-30min of looking I get "no nothing in here" agggggh

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

They're awful places, "not even once" is my motto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

It just feels like once you're in it's going to take ages to get out.

I always get shocks from the lifts.

I also really dislike those food places that are not in an actual separate room but are just tables and chairs scattered together in the centre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's annoying going to a shopping center you aren't familiar with, then taking the long way around to find the toilets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

mainly, it's the americanisation that riles me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I know people who will avoid the likes of Dundrum shopping centre due to the sheer volume of people & cars "its just too busy" ... too many people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭mojesius

Mainly the crowds. Screaming bored children, buggies everywhere, the combined stink from fast food places. Big cheap/ discount/ knock-off shops with massive queues of people being ****e for the sake of it.

I don't spend any of my free time in a shopping centre unless I really have to get something.

I used to live on Capel street and from November - Jan, henry street was a no go area on weekends, a giant swarm of zombie shoppers climbing over each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

LordSutch wrote: »
    I know people who will avoid the likes of Dundrum shopping centre due to the sheer volume of people & cars "its just too busy" ... too many people.

I'd agree with that, also either you go there a lot and know where everything is or its a pain in the ass if you only go there twice a year. Prefer the layout of smaller centres like carrickmines where its in and out

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Shopping in general drives me nuts, do it as little as possible. I've little or no interest in buying stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Shopping and Other People.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ederkeh

Shopping centres are a bit like walking down Grafton St, everyone is in my way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

We've all got agoraphobia. Literally.

I hate them too. Sundays are the worst. They seem to reduce humanity to cogs in the capitalist wheel. Mere consumers. Unlike shopping in a town centre there's no respite - no quiet pubs, decent restaurants or cafes , no quiet street to avoid foot traffic , even churches if thats your thing to avoid the insane rush of shopping. And food courts are hellish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

No but silly American spellings of English words do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

GBX wrote: »
    What annoys me about them is the ignorant people pushing trolleys or prams who take the ankles off ya.

Try being the one pushing the pram. People see you coming, but won't budge over one iota to let you pass. It's no wonder I'm like Ben Hur ploughing through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Main thing has to be bored children.

Sad to see young kids in them for hours. Some parents seem to think kids like walking around shopping centres.

Try taking them to the park instead, they don't want to go shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

NIMAN wrote: »
    Main thing has to be bored children.

Sad to see young kids in them for hours. Some parents seem to think kids like walking around shopping centres.

Try taking them to the park instead, they don't want to go shopping.

I liked shopping centers when I was a kid. Most of them had shops my own town didn't have like game shops and large bookstores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Would you say that these are trivial annoyances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭cml387

Shopping centres all with identical shops in a slightly different order.

Gap Next Dorothy Perkins River Island
    Next Gap River Island Dorothy Perkins
    Gap Eason's Claire's Dorothy Perkins

and of course :

Three Vodafone Carphone Warehouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Aglomerado wrote: »
    They're soulless places with annoying music. Queuing in traffic. Bad planning (Mahon Point Cork, huge complex including cinema and food court - only one entrance).

I'll go to one if I need something specific, get it and then leave but I wouldn't go for fun (some people view a visit to shopping centres as a recreational activity). I much prefer towns and city centres.

Mahon point is a disaster, woefully bad traffic problems in that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

'Soulless'

WTF

I don't need my shopping centres to have pretentious soul. I need them to have jumpers and jeans and custard doughnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Parking's not too hard to find if you're willing to walk your lardyhole for an extra 30 seconds more, rather than sit in your car for 3 minutes to wait for a space closer to the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,809 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I like shopping centers but I'd generally visit at off peak times. I much prefer them than city centers. I like the fact that you don't get wet, your near the car(so you can drop your bags back to the car), parking is generally free, I generally feel safer in shopping centers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

meeeeh wrote: »
    It's not that I refuse to enter them they are just not very pleasant. The air is bad, it's hot, crowded and on Sundays they are full of sad people who think shopping is a family day out.

The air is disgusting. Agreed. Worse than airplane air.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

St Stephens Green is the only one I can tolerate, mostly because the architecture makes it more appealing and relaxed atmopshere, plus the park and cafes etc are very closeby so I can bail out any time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The crowds annoy me. I'm a tad claustrophobic anyway so I don't like being hemmed in, but bumping into people from work in the shops or even neighbours has always irked me because I'm on my own time and I still have to do the false salute or if its someone I dislike I have to dodge them. I generally only shop online so I avoid the shopping centers.
    One thing that doesn't annoy me as such but baffles me is the sheer number of people who wouldn't dream of letting a Saturday pass without traipsing through the same old shops, same old streets and seeing the same old people. Often without even buying anything. I have never understood the mindset of having to go into town every single weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I'd only go on a weekday morning, never at the weekend.

How on earth was Dundrum town center ever allowed to be built? The traffic around the area on the weekend's is crazy, and hardly a bus even goes near the place. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,809 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

i think lots of people in cities end up in shopping centers to do their weekly shop because the supermarket is part of them.
    Whilst I like a trip to a shopping center. I wouldn't like it to be a weekly occurrence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I avoid them as much as possible. If I want to buy something, I prefer to wander around the city centre instead. It feels less claustrophobic to walk out of a shop onto a street.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

From a societal point of view I think they are fascinating. They were the harbingers of consumerism at your fingertips and defined the landscape of modern suburbia. If you didn't have one you became unimportant pretty fast. Back in the day they were also social hubs in an age that preceded the internet and smartphones. Everything you wanted in one place. Well that was the dream anyway. In terms of design, it is no mistake that you struggled to find the way out, this was intentional. A lot of them have very little natural light and can make the person feel like they are stuck on a conveyor belt of shops with the hope you spend your afternoon drifting aimlessly from one shop to the next.

There's something so resolutely fascinating about a shopping centre that has lost its place in time and stands out as a ghost shell of days gone by. Some of them are pure relics already, examples being Dun Laoghaire Shopping Centre and what I called 'The 90s' in Crumlin, just off Sundrive Rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Richcoffee wrote: »
    Do shopping centers annoy you?

I know a few people who refuse to enter shopping centers, what is it about shopping centers that annoy you?
    Ush1 wrote: »
    No but silly American spellings of English words do.

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I hate them and would never choose one over going to the city centre. They're overcrowded, hot, no fresh air. I hate that so many of them have glass ceilings so you feel like you're in a greenhouse, blinded by the sun and roasting. Too many kids running wild.

Liffey Valley for me is hell on earth. The layout is crap, with one long line so you if you want to go back for something you have to trek the full length of the place. It's too narrow for the volumes of people. And of course that stupid fcuking train is just the icing on the cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Boring. Get in get out when it comes to shopping. The town I live decided they would put speakers round the centre and pipe music. I rarely come into town now as I've never been anywhere where I thought this place needs more noise.

It's playing outside the office now doing my head in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I detest shopping with every fiber of my being

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Anybody describing a building as 'soulless' is a hippy, teenager or most likely both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Anybody describing a building as 'soulless' is a hippy, teenager or most likely both.

Hippy teenagers probably don't shop at shopping centres.

• Advertisement
Advertisement