Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the purpose of your life?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I think my job is a bit important, and I want to do it as well as I can for the next 30 years or so. I also want to have a family and raise nippers the same way I was raised. I'm a lucky schmuck and I know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

zimszimer1 wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this a lot recently. I don't want children so what's the point if reproduction isn't the purpose. I've decided my sole purpose is to try and enjoy life until I'm

So ya, slightly off topic but the sole purpose of life for me is to be the happiest version of myself. If I can help others on the way added bonus. At the very least, I try not to obstruct other ppls happiness by being a sh$t human being. All the rest doesn't matter. I know life won't always be great but I subscribe to the theory that we will never understand highs unless we've experienced the lows which are part of life.

Viktor Frankl’s - 'Man's Search for Meaning' is available for free on PDF online. Fantastic read for anyone that's interested in the topic!

What you've just described is pure love. You don't have to reproduce to have a purpose we're not all here to reproduce. Being the happiest version of you is exactly how it should be. The luckypeople in life that get to reflect on this and have some small way of acting on it is just the most fulfilling thing you can do. You're conscious of the choice to make yourself and others happy which is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Peonygrace

I had no idea what my purpose was until I had my son. Now, my primary purpose is to provide for him as happy and secure a childhood as I can. I have come to realise that with this role I also need to work on myself and try to be a better version of myself.

Beyond that, I am still searching for that 'thing' that I can do for a job or beyond a job to contribute something to society or the planet beyond myself and my little bubble.

Broadly, our purpose as human beings seems to me to be to continue the species and this means leaving the world as good or better than we found it. I am not convinced that most of us are in tune with our 'higher purpose'.

When I feel more philosophical I'm not even sure the species is supposed to survive...everything is a cycle. Extinction of humanity might just be part of the whole cosmic mystery. Who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Peonygrace wrote: »
    When I feel more philosophical I'm not even sure the species is supposed to survive...everything is a cycle. Extinction of humanity might just be part of the whole cosmic mystery. Who knows?

That's such a bummer though!

Maybe we will technology our way out of it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

My kids, even though I don't have any, so I practice making them....
    With my hands :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

pangbang wrote: »
    You work on the tree of woe?

Cool!

No. But pushing this wheel around in circles for years gives you a lot of time to think.

And builds muscle tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Feed myself, reproduce, feed and protect my offspring and then die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

To be the happiest version of myself and I have come a long way in the past few years.
    "Your life is only as good as your mindset"

I work to live, not live to work and I spend as much of my free time with close family and friends as time is so precious.

I make it my aim to feel grateful for life every single day and be kind to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

To be my most authentic self.

I'm well on my way there, I've the most amazing psychotherapist in the world, and the more we work together, the more the world becomes full of colour rather than shades of black and white and grey.

It's exciting and terrifying, to wake up to the real world just as amazing as it is. But definitely more exciting than terrifying.

I'm constantly astounded at how many people go through their lives so unaware of and oblivious to reality. I know it all too well; I was one of them for far too long! I was functional; high-flying career, relationship, baby, all of the rest. But I was so far removed from the person I actually am ... or rather, the person I've potential to be. I was like this effigy of other peoples' expectations of who I should/could be, with so little of ME in there. Not any more.

I'm much better as the real me, and the best ME that I can be.

That's a really inspiring post.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Oink wrote: »
    Sometimes I remember that we're just a bunch of atoms floating in space and that with enough perspective, none of this is worth a rat's fart. "Oh some random collection of atoms just went kaboom in that tiny, tiny, tiiiiny galaxy in that corner. Was that a planet? A star? Who knows. Ah well."
    The Milky Way is larger than most galaxies, so no need to be cynical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Inc0nnu wrote: »
    This post is gonna be super cynical but anyway, the way I see it, the purpose of life for every single creature on earth is survival of themselves and the species. That's it. You're born, you survive long enough to pass on your genetic information and then you die. Why would humans be any different from everything else? The belief that humans aren't subject to the same meaning as every other creature is kind of arrogant imo.

I also think trying to persue happiness is a pointless endevour. I don't think it's possible to totally happy with what you have. The best example for this that I can think of is the fact that we live in the greatest time in human history in terms of wealth and quality of living, and yet so many people are dissatisfied/depressed/anxious. Making happiness the meaning of life is setting yourself up for dissapointment imo. Discontentment is the norm.

A lot of people seem to have this idea that if they accumulate a certain amount of money they'll achieve happiness, or if they get famous, or rise up the career ladder they'll be totally content. But rich/famous people still have problems. Nice problems to have from some people's perspective but they still have a negative effect on their ability to be happy.

I think the truth is, once someone achieves what they initaially want, pretty soon they're only left desiring more. So the solution is to formulate and chase *new* goals, believing that this time they (even though it didn't work the last time) will give them this elusive happiness they seek. It's like heroin or something.

tl;dr - I don't think there is any meaning to life. If you want meaning I think you have to create it yourself. It's kind of liberating in a way. There's no set path so you gotta pave your own. Reminds me of a quote, "The literal meaning of life is whatever your doing that prevents you from killling yourself."

Intelligent post, I mightn't 100% agree but overall pretty on the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

To clarify, I'm not saying that humans have a certain meaning to their lives that other creatures don't. I actually don't think that there is a ''meaning of life'' as such, like a universal one. Biologically you could argue for reproduction and for the survival of the species but I'm talking about what do people see as their own purpose in their lives, on an individual level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

I'm being a bit cynical here myself, even though not very cynical in my day to day life...Anyway here goes...Is it possible that the people with children give up on their own goals and that is what makes them think that rearing kids is the best thing ever? They get an opt out clause when it comes to their own aspirations, it now becomes more about little Johnny becoming a doctor/ rugby player or actor.They can quietly put their own dreams on the back burner? Is it possible that this is what is so great about having kids, it's no longer that you failed in your particular life goals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

“We are survival machines – robot vehicles blindly programmed to preserve the selfish molecules known as genes. This is a truth which still fills me with astonishment.”
    ― Richard Dawkins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

I'm struggling to answer this question if I'm honest. I've a few ideas but can't answer with certainty at this point in my life. Have a career break coming up to do some travel, read, and spend time on creative pursuits. Hopefully I'll have a better idea afterwards.

The only thing I'm certain of is that I want to have a laugh with people as much as I can. Such a great feeling for everyone involved when a group of people are cracking up at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

That's a really inspiring post.

Couldn't agree more!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Mine used to be to enjoy life, whatever that entailed. I expected it would involve a wife, kids, nice dog, decent house and then the rest would fall into place.
    Got all the above now and still can't say I enjoy life. It's all stress. So I'm at a loss. Lately I think my purpose is to work my arse off to leave them in a better financial position when I fall of the perch and to look after them as best I can meantime. (Oh and to see Liverpool win the league.)
    It's not a good sign when your purpose is the cause of your stress, but that's about it.
    Just being honest. :)
    And yeah i know, theres always one kill-joy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Johngoose wrote: »
    I'm being a bit cynical here myself, even though not very cynical in my day to day life...Anyway here goes...Is it possible that the people with children give up on their own goals and that is what makes them think that rearing kids is the best thing ever? They get an opt out clause when it comes to their own aspirations, it now becomes more about little Johnny becoming a doctor/ rugby player or actor.They can quietly put their own dreams on the back burner? Is it possible that this is what is so great about having kids, it's no longer that you failed in your particular life goals?

I can only speak for myself but no, that's not true at all. I haven't decided that my own personal and professional goals mean nothing.

I don't think they have to either. It depends on your circumstances and in some cases something has to give.

But I haven't found myself in a position where my goals and doing the best for my wife and child are mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Got all the above now and still can't say I enjoy life. It's all stress. So I'm at a loss.

Is it work related stress?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Is it work related stress?

Well, yes. Lack of job/financial security for the future. (fine at the moment..) Don't mind me though, I just wanted to throw in my tuppence worth, it's not a big deal. I didn't expect any follow-up questions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

it's not a big deal. I didn't expect any follow-up questions :D

Wait, wait I'm not finished!

I hope you're settled. This is going to be a long night. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

I don't mean what is the meaning of life
    To live!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

When I was younger I used to think of it like this, "The purpose of life is to try live it to your optimum enjoyment without impacting on, or relying on others to Allow you to live in that way". As I got older I realized that lots of people ignore the "without the impacting on or relying on others" part of that statement.

I know we don't "have" to do anything, our basist purpose is survival and procreation but also have conscious thought which is a blessing/burden that makes us strive for more at times.

For me, now, the purpose is to find contentment. What ever that is.
    That sense that if the rest of my life was to be the same as it was right then, that that would be perfectly Ok.

Oh yeah and to be truly, madly, deeply in love with someone who feels the same way about me. I'll take that if it's going please. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

To travel as much as possible.
    To read books.
    To live life with integrity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Enjoy it
    Appreciate the wonder in the world
    Appreciate the love of family

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Enjoy myself and the life I live. It's not exactly how I imagined it would turn out but I'm certainly a lot happier than I thought I would be. I doubt I'll ever be rich or have an influential job but I'm comfortable and happy so I'm not bothered at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Enjoy it, make house **** for wife and kids a non issue.
    Enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

To enjoy what I can.

To make the best of the bad circumstances when I find myself in them. That's the real alchemy of life I think. To learn from the bad stuff, to let it make you a better more compassionate person and to know how to take a really ****ty day and find something in it that makes it ok or fun for some period everyday.

To live so that I like the person I meet everyday in the mirror, that I can respect who I am and feel like I'm proud of the decisions and choices I make where possible.

To not be too hard on myself when I fail dismally at that, as I do!

To remember to keep striving for more and not to stop trying in terms of ambitions or relationships in life in general.

To make the people I love happy, which I am usually pretty good at.

Advertisement