Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the purpose of your life?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I want to constantly improve in the computer games I play. Nothing makes me happier than to see the lamentations of kids half my age when I crush them.

Git gud scrub.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Flibble

According to an astrologer I'm here to learn how to maintain boundaries and my own identity in relationships with people.

Doing pretty well with that so far, I think my life is all about living from the heart. Take care of myself first, then family, then others. When empathy is so strong it becomes a toxic thing, it's easy to forget the order of that. So I'm learning to control it so I can still help the people around me without sacrificing my own needs.

It's so difficult!!!

Flibble wrote: »
    According to an astrologer I'm here to learn how to maintain boundaries and my own identity in relationships with people.

Doing pretty well with that so far, I think my life is all about living from the heart. Take care of myself first, then family, then others. When empathy is so strong it becomes a toxic thing, it's easy to forget the order of that. So I'm learning to control it so I can still help the people around me without sacrificing my own needs.

It's so difficult!!!

What's your astrologer charging? I'll tell you meaningless bullsh*t for half whatever they're charging!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Flibble

What's your astrologer charging? I'll tell you meaningless bullsh*t for half whatever they're charging!

Regardless of if you dislike astrology, twas true for me & I'd already identified it as a theme in my life, so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭pangbang

The purpose of life is to attain immortality.

Seeing as we haven't found the elixir of life yet, immortality is achieved through children. Tied to that is gaining the resources necessary to provide your children with the means to successfully reproduce and carry on your genetic immortality.

Everything is geared toward it, from the reward of a thrilling orgasm to the satisfaction of a better job/house/partner etc. Going against the grain means elimination.

Pretty dry reality, but it is what it is :/

Watching Emmerdale at 2pm during a weekday is a sign that somethings fundamentally fupped. Suppose nature never went away, we've just gotten very good at ignoring it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The Donald has two purposes in life

1) Banging fine beatches
    2) Pressing that big nuke button to destroy the planet so that I can take you all with me when the heart attack kicks in and I'm just about to die. Just for the craic

Keeping your hair on must be a priority.

my purpose is self loathing, and before I die I'd like to commit genocide.

Flibble wrote: »
    Regardless of if you dislike astrology, twas true for me & I'd already identified it as a theme in my life, so :P

Astrologer tells people what they want to hear shocker :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

To enjoy it as much as possible while you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Pummelling and atin' vag

my purpose is self loathing, and before I die I'd like to commit genocide.

Now that's a goal to aspire to. Do you have any thoughts on what country, race or religion you want to try and exterminate and how will go about the process?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'm not racist I'm xenophobic I hate everyone and everything. Might start with earthworms creepy wigglers, as to how I'm gonna do the dew that's classified.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Not to take life too seriously,and to raise my kids the best way I can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Inc0nnu

This post is gonna be super cynical but anyway, the way I see it, the purpose of life for every single creature on earth is survival of themselves and the species. That's it. You're born, you survive long enough to pass on your genetic information and then you die. Why would humans be any different from everything else? The belief that humans aren't subject to the same meaning as every other creature is kind of arrogant imo.

I also think trying to persue happiness is a pointless endevour. I don't think it's possible to totally happy with what you have. The best example for this that I can think of is the fact that we live in the greatest time in human history in terms of wealth and quality of living, and yet so many people are dissatisfied/depressed/anxious. Making happiness the meaning of life is setting yourself up for dissapointment imo. Discontentment is the norm.

A lot of people seem to have this idea that if they accumulate a certain amount of money they'll achieve happiness, or if they get famous, or rise up the career ladder they'll be totally content. But rich/famous people still have problems. Nice problems to have from some people's perspective but they still have a negative effect on their ability to be happy.

I think the truth is, once someone achieves what they initaially want, pretty soon they're only left desiring more. So the solution is to formulate and chase *new* goals, believing that this time they (even though it didn't work the last time) will give them this elusive happiness they seek. It's like heroin or something.

tl;dr - I don't think there is any meaning to life. If you want meaning I think you have to create it yourself. It's kind of liberating in a way. There's no set path so you gotta pave your own. Reminds me of a quote, "The literal meaning of life is whatever your doing that prevents you from killling yourself."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

"The greatest thing, you'll ever learn, is just to love, and be loved in return". Sung by Natt King Cole written by Eden Abahz and believed by me. The peace and comfort of just loving people can't be replaced by anything else. Yes it may sound so awfully syrupy to the cynical. But I know those of you who are reading this who are happy with the people around you and especially those of you with a child can attest to...there's nothing quite like simply living and loving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Inc0nnu wrote: »
    This post is gonna be super cynical but anyway, the way I see it, the purpose of life for every single creature on earth is survival of themselves and the species. That's it. You're born, you survive long enough to pass on your genetic information and then you die. Why would humans be any different from everything else? The belief that humans aren't subject to the same meaning as every other creature is kind of arrogant imo.

I also think trying to persue happiness is a pointless endevour. I don't think it's possible to totally happy with what you have. The best example for this that I can think of is the fact that we live in the greatest time in human history in terms of wealth and quality of living, and yet so many people are dissatisfied/depressed/anxious. Making happiness the meaning of life is setting yourself up for dissapointment imo. Discontentment is the norm.

A lot of people seem to have this idea that if they accumulate a certain amount of money they'll achieve happiness, or if they get famous, or rise up the career ladder they'll be totally content. But rich/famous people still have problems. Nice problems to have from some people's perspective but they still have a negative effect on their ability to be happy.

I think the truth is, once someone achieves what they initaially want, pretty soon they're only left desiring more. So the solution is to formulate and chase *new* goals, believing that this time they (even though it didn't work the last time) will give them this elusive happiness they seek. It's like heroin or something.

tl;dr - I don't think there is any meaning to life. If you want meaning I think you have to create it yourself. It's kind of liberating in a way. There's no set path so you gotta pave your own. Reminds me of a quote, "The literal meaning of life is whatever your doing that prevents you from killling yourself."

buy this man a pint ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Biologically, to reproduce.

Christianically, to convert people to Christianity or at least maintain the fleet.

Economically, to make as much money as possible.

Parochially, to do as much for the place as possible.

Personally, to make my parents proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Seaniedel

zweton wrote: »
    buy this man a pint ;)

Yeah, nailed it !

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I don't mean what is the meaning of life, because I don't know if there is one.

What heresy is this? May I direct you to my avatar and suggest that you reconsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭zimszimer1

I've been thinking about this a lot recently. I don't want children so what's the point if reproduction isn't the purpose. I've decided my sole purpose is to try and enjoy life until I'm done.

I heard something recently that stuck with me. While we're working towards whatever milestone we expect to make us happy, we forget to allow ourselves to be happy right now.

Many of us go through life thinking things will be easier and we'll be happy when we <INSERT CURRENT MILESTONE> finish college/get that job or promotion/get married/buy a house/have children/children are over x age, do up the house, get all the monies etc. While we're constantly setting new milestones, we aren't allowing ourselves to be happy. We really don't know what untold challenges we'll face tomorrow.

So ya, slightly off topic but the sole purpose of life for me is to be the happiest version of myself. If I can help others on the way added bonus. At the very least, I try not to obstruct other ppls happiness by being a sh$t human being. All the rest doesn't matter. I know life won't always be great but I subscribe to the theory that we will never understand highs unless we've experienced the lows which are part of life.

Viktor Frankl’s - 'Man's Search for Meaning' is available for free on PDF online. Fantastic read for anyone that's interested in the topic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Agricola wrote: »
    Yep, that and hoarding a good few quid throughout your life to leave to relatives. Especially true of batchelors/spinsters. You might have been a horrid hoor all your life, but leave a lump sum to a nephew somewhere and you've instantly achieved legendary status and the promise of manys the anniversary mass said for you!

That's my plan and I'm sticking to it. :pac:

It's either that or crush my enemies, see them driven before me and hear the lamentation of the women.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Angles in heaven, hun *thread*.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Candie wrote: »
    Well I love my job so I dont feel I live to work or work to just live. I'd like to leave the world a little better for people powerless to help themselves, and if I do that I'll be happy with myself.

Don't tell me your a politician because they never do that just the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Archeron wrote: »
    To post in this exact thread.

Aaaaaahhhhh

LoL

That's my plan and I'm sticking to it. :pac:

It's either that or crush my enemies, see them driven before me and hear the lamentation of the women.

And just where did you consider all this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I hope to meet someone, to have a happy relationship, and to have kids.

I hope to do the best I can for my family at all times. To support and encourage them.

I'd like to create something significant. Some art/ design or a book or something. But this is less important than the aforementioned.

That's it.

Progress is a major part of happiness. And I suppose that's the way nature intended, it rewards overcoming challenge by releasing chemicals onto your bonce.

So no matter how wealthy you are, what you own, who you have around you, how at peace you feel, you will always be driven forward in search of challenge and to better yourself.

You can have a few days off work and enjoy it just watching the box. A few months off work and you'll be unhappy doing that. Strive forward and be all that you can be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭AllForIt

What a deep philosophical question. I noticed the philosophy section on boards is very quiet. Pity we have to do it on AH.

I think a lot of ppl like to get absorbed in things. Whether it's their religion or their work or their general interests whether it be sport or politics or whatever.

And then one day it's all over and we will all die. But I suppose it's better to have a passion for something or even lots of things over the course of a lifetime, than none.

To answer the OP, it's not what the purpose is, but that one has a purpose at all. And for some just surviving is a purpose.

I suppose I'm hinting at the have's and have not's. Some would be driven to be a solicitor and some would walk for miles to get water from a well.

Survival is the greatest human purpose because without it we wouldn't be here at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

pangbang wrote: »
    And just where did you consider all this?

At work of course. Sure what else would I be doing there?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Richie71

Inc0nnu wrote: »

I think the truth is, once someone achieves what they initaially want, pretty soon they're only left desiring more. So the solution is to formulate and chase *new* goals, believing that this time they (even though it didn't work the last time) will give them this elusive happiness they seek.

I was reading this whole thread thinking just this. But for me, it's all about deciding what you want to do and going out and getting it done. Lets say you decide you want to paint the kitchen, you go out and do it and then feel great afterwards.

The trick is don't set your standards too high or too low.

'High Achievers' will be the ones that set long term goals and break them down into smaller ones. 'Low Achievers' will be the ones that can't decide what they want to do or not be arsed about doing them. But yeah, the rest of us will plod on from one goal to the next getting little wins all the way. Nothing wrong with that.

• Advertisement

At work of course. Sure what else would I be doing there?

You work on the tree of woe?

Cool!

Advertisement