Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Irish universities spreading propaganda like in the USA/UK?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

To understand why universities have evolved into left-wing ideological training camps, one has to read The Closing of The American Mind by Allan Bloom. I'm on my second read through and it's as enlightening as it was the first time. To try and sum up a dense treatise, Bloom argued that the drive towards openness and relativism paradoxically lead to a great closed-mindedness. A closed-mindedness seeing its full expression in the absolutely insane social justice movements at many universities today. My local university's student union last year banned a local Mexican restaurant from handing out Sombreros at a promotional event and are currently trying to have Yoga stopped too. Apparently appropriating these things from other cultures is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Went back to college two years ago as a mature student. All this talk of safe spaces, propaganda being spread on campus is just not true at all. Majority of the student body more concerned with organising the next night out, scrambling to get work done and attending 9am lectures. I would say the majority of people are left leaning, but nothing is forced on you, anyone who says otherwise is grossly over-exaggerating in my opinion.

Advertisement