Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Earthlings

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Synthol wrote: »
    PucaMama wrote: »
    Don't act the idiot towards others and then be shocked when people put you back in your box.

Put me back in my box, go on.
    Your like the snappy little chihuahua, cowering in the back of its crate, still snarling away

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭Synthol

Your like the snappy little chihuahua, cowering in the back of its crate, still snarling away

So you agree that by eating meat you directly support the suffering and death of animals? And increase your risk of heart disease?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

So you agree that by eating meat you directly support the suffering and death of animals? And increase your risk of heart disease?

nope. it's nonsense.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Yap yap yap yap yap

I eat meat, and lots of it because I'm low carb. Deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Hogwash. As someone who has spent his life studying and researching plants and animals, I would firstly draw your attention to what sentience is. It's the capacity to feel, perceive, or experience subjectively. Only higher older animals have come even close to this. Cows, sheep, and pigs cannot categorize nor create concepts.
    By your definition of a sentient organism, plants too are sentient, because when a plant is wounded, it immediately kicks into protection mode. It releases a cocktail of chemicals, which have been proven to even induce neighbouring plants to pre-emptively step up their own chemical defences. Animals use an electrical impulse nervous system while plants use a chemically signalled one.

Thats the greatest load of made up BS I have ever read :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭Synthol

Yap yap yap yap yap

I eat meat, and lots of it because I'm low carb. Deal with it.

You're low carb? Lol what? You think eating meat is healthier than eating carbs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

archer22 wrote: »
    Thats the greatest load of made up BS I have ever read :rolleyes:

Then you need to start reading more. Factual. Long known and long studied. Don't show your ignorance by dismissing something you know nothing about. We were studying all this back in the 70s. Do some research on plant chemical signalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Then you need to start reading more. Factual. Long known and long studied. Don't show your ignorance by dismissing something you know nothing about. We were studying all this back in the 70s. Do some research on plant chemical signalling.

You are talking through your underpants...and you know it.That post was just gibberish.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Synthol banned for trolling (not just this thread) and goading. PucaMama banned for threatening physical violence. Thread reopened. Any more of that sort of carry on and there will be similar bans.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Of course animals have consciousness/sentience, people think they are walking rocks is it? This was formalised by the worlds top neuroscientists in 2012 by the Cambridge Declaration on Consciousness.
    The absence of a neocortex does not appear to preclude an organism from experiencing affective states. Convergent evidence indicates that non-human animals have the neuroanatomical, neurochemical, and neurophysiological substrates of conscious states along with the capacity to exhibit intentional behaviors. Consequently, the weight of evidence indicates that humans are not unique in possessing the neurological substrates that generate consciousness. Non-human animals, including all mammals and birds, and many other creatures, including octopuses, also possess these neurological substrates.

• Advertisement
Advertisement