Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All diesel fuel is not the same

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Is there no way that that piece of black stuff could be external contamination? The fuel is filtered out of the pumps iirc so it's hard to imagine a chunk that big making it through? Could it be forecourt debris from the ground or a breeze, could it have entered at any point between the bottle being emptied of water and filled with diesel? Could it have come from the diesel pump handle which are generally filthy?

I'm not saying it didn't come from the pump but I still dont think this is really scientific enough to go finger pointing.

You're effectively putting forward the idea that 66% of the random diesel purchases you've made may not be fit for purpose, which if that was anything like reality, there'd be a lot more broken down cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Is there no way that that piece of black stuff could be external contamination? The fuel is filtered out of the pumps iirc so it's hard to imagine a chunk that big making it through? Could it be forecourt debris from the ground or a breeze, could it have entered at any point between the bottle being emptied of water and filled with diesel? Could it have come from the diesel pump handle which are generally filthy?

I'm not saying it didn't come from the pump but I still dont think this is really scientific enough to go finger pointing.

You're effectively putting forward the idea that 66% of the random diesel purchases you've made may not be fit for purpose, which if that was anything like reality, there'd be a lot more broken down cars.

I'm not saying anything of the sort.
    I have never stated that any of the fuels were not fit for purpose.
    I just showed examples of what I have purchased.

But hey... Dust off the crucifix, gather the pitch forks, light the torches, and saddle up the horses.

And as for the black piece of material.. I saw it enter the bottle, from the nossel with my own eyes.

Eye witness testimony isn't worth much these days.

I started this thread to show that there was a difference between fuel from different stations.

And I'm sorry I did.

I'll follow up with brand C myself.
    I don't expect much to happen.

I'm going to throw my toys out of the pram now and give up on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

ELM327 wrote: »
    Its red these days :D

It's green in the south of Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,444 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I would believe you in different colours of diesel,anybody remember Duckhams oil from many years ago 20w-50 as it was green and easily read on the dipstick.I dont use diesel so cannot say if one was better but be sure the bad one may stop/clog your fuel filter.
    Visions of pram with no toys wheeling a 5 gallon container of diesel around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Isn't this why cars have fuel filters?

It could just as easily been a random fly that died in the filler nozzle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

HPLC chromatography chart or GTFO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭honda boi

mikeecho wrote: »
    I started this thread to show that there was a difference between fuel from different stations.

And I'm sorry I did.

I'll follow up with brand C myself.
    I don't expect much to happen.

I'm going to throw my toys out of the pram now and give up on this thread.

I enjoy reading this thread.
    Fair play to you for showing us this.
    I find it interesting.
    Seems you post anything you'd be crucified if someone has a different view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

honda boi wrote: »
    I enjoy reading this thread.
    Fair play to you for showing us this.
    I find it interesting.
    Seems you post anything you'd be crucified if someone has a different view.

^ this.

People here expecting a double blind step wedge cluster randomised control trial from some lad buying diesel in cork. Get a grip!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gmac78

There’s no problem with the fuel. It’s due to the varying levels of bio content used. It varies across all fuel tanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Probably so, but each distributor may mix in their own additives before it hits the pumps

How is that done.? All modern tankers are bottom filled I thought . They are sealed on top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

any bad motherf*ckers willing to to try this with petrol,
    in a dirty white t shirt and jeans , while smoking a fag ?

all jokes aside - its a very interesting thread

So got a reply back from Brand C

Hi mikeecho,

Firstly thank you again for your feed back and also for being so patient while we arranged our detailed testing as a result of your transaction from the plastic bottle,

We had an external company on site who conducted a full sample not just on the tank which you purchased from but on all of our tanks,

After this extremely detailed check was actioned it showed no presence of water nor sludge found in any of our fuel,

Our fuel department are happy with these results and based on that and also the fact we didn’t receive any other complaints,

We are unable to see an issue on our part,

Again I would like to thank you for your feedback and would like to ensure you that we did take this matter very seriously,

If however you have anymore questions or queries regarding this matter,

Please do not hesitate to contact me on the below details,

Kind regards,

°°°°°°°°°°°°

Site Manager

I won't be buying fuel there ever again.... Not even for the lawnmower..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

So got a reply back from Brand C

I won't be buying fuel there ever again.... Not even for the lawnmower..

Why?

wonski wrote: »
    Why?

Did you bother to read the thread and view the pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Did you bother to read the thread and view the pics.

I did.

Call me an eejit, but this piece should never get into the engine. And never will.

Contamination or a foreign body that would be filtered at some stage. Or burned at later stage.

If not you can blame everyone, but the petrol station.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭oleard1987

Aside from brand C ,which one of brand A and brand B would you be buying genuinely as I would normally use the Circle K on lwr Glanmire rd

oleard1987 wrote: »
    Aside from brand C ,which one of brand A and brand B would you be buying genuinely as I would normally use the Circle K on lwr Glanmire rd

Normally I buy Circle K.. usually the plus fuel.

But this time I needed to buy a large quantity (200L) so I split the purchase between two stations, and regular diesel.

But, normally, .. it's CK plus diesel.

Brand C was just a small test purchase to compare fuel colour.

Bit the lump of shyte that came out of the nossel.... That's put me off brand C for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Normally I buy Circle K.. usually the plus fuel.

But this time I needed to buy a large quantity (200L) so I split the purchase between two stations, and regular diesel.

But, normally, .. it's CK plus diesel.

Brand C was just a small test purchase to compare fuel colour.

Bit the lump of shyte that came out of the nossel.... That's put me off brand C for life.

Since there was nothing wrong (apparently) according to Mr petrol station, can you please name names?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

The choice of station is completely irrelevant. It all comes from one or other of only a few refineries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The choice of station is completely irrelevant. It all comes from one or other of only a few refineries.
    Correct, But the tanks the diesel is held in are not all the same.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Correct, But the tanks the diesel is held in are not all the same.

In the stations maybe not but in the refineries yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Probably so, but each distributor may mix in their own additives before it hits the pumps

I know for a fact this is not the case.

Having discussed with someone who works at a refinery in Cork it was said that they produce petrol/diesel and it all gets stored in the same tanks. Suppliers/merchants then all collect their fuel from the same tanks.
    There are no specific Maxol, Circle K or Texaco tanks. There are no special blends for each brand. It is all the exact same. I have this from the horses mouth from an engineer who has worked there many years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I know for a fact this is not the case.

Having discussed with someone who works at a refinery in Cork it was said that they produce petrol/diesel and it all gets stored in the same tanks. Suppliers/merchants then all collect their fuel from the same tanks.
    There are no specific Maxol, Circle K or Texaco tanks. There are no special blends for each brand. It is all the exact same. I have this from the horses mouth from an engineer who has worked there many years.

The additive gets added when they load the truck.

So, all the fuel in the tanks at the refinery is the exact same but when it gets pumped to the truck the additive gets added.

So you are right and wrong! ;)

Car99 wrote: »
    They'll say the station has a rusty fuel tank.

They'll say nothing. they are hardly going to get into an email shouting match with some keyboard warrior with dirt in a bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

pburns wrote: »
    Quite hostile, defensive response to OP.
    Nobody wants to believe diesel might be variable? Or the cheaper stuff might be dodgy?

There's psychology papers that could be written on the standard boards.ie response to anyone making an assertion outside of the readers own cozy comfort zone:

"Well obviously you're a thorough c*nt so, blah, blah, blah, waffle, I'm so smart/right"

As it happens I couldn't give 2 sh1ts if the fuel was indigo with green sparkly bits but I would say that the day people stop asking questions of the status quo will be a bleak one.

OP anyone that can't adress you with basic manners and decency should be told to go fcuk themselves.

All bitching aside, does the colour difference actually mean that the fuel is not up to the requried standard? I doubt it.

Just put the fuel in your car or whatever it is, sit into it and off you go. If the car drives on ok then whats the problem?

KCross wrote: »
    The additive gets added when they load the truck.

So, all the fuel in the tanks at the refinery is the exact same but when it gets pumped to the truck the additive gets added.

So you are right and wrong! ;)

Yep, this is how it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

All bitching aside, does the colour difference actually mean that the fuel is not up to the requried standard? I doubt it.

Just put the fuel in your car or whatever it is, sit into it and off you go. If the car drives on ok then whats the problem?

Mix them all together and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

speaking of tests on fuel quality, a friend of mine, flying light aircraft on Mogas (petrol--it's legal before you ask) had landed his aircraft when the engine stopped and wouldn't restart. When he checked the fuel tank, he had enough fuel for his flight and was mystified why it had stopped, thankfully on the ground. He normally stores his fuel in a plastic container / jerrycan, which has enough for the aircraft's fuel tank. It smelt unusual so he drained the fuel tank and stored it seperately and also isolated all the other fuel supplies sourced from the same garage.......I met him and was invited to smell the suspect fuel and I thought I smelled acetone, which has a distinct smell quite different from petrol. He subsequently sent some off to the UK to a test house and the reply showed that there was indeed acetone, trace elements of diesel, kerosene and another unspecified liquid mixed in with the ordinary petrol. So, he had to flush out his aircraft with clean fuel and dispose of all the suspect fuel, causing him a financial hit . The petrol station subsequently closed down and the alleged owners did a runner. From what he said, several local car owners suffered damage to their cars from the ddogy fuel but got no comeback.

Advertisement