Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liveatc EIDW Feed is up AND GOING WELL. Donations to keep it up would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

List of what im feeding. Also Op's.

3e182198-1e88-47c9-8fa1-27b310af3994.jpg?t=1372007030

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

looking well after a few days away well done pat

I'm pretty concerned that the freq "121.800 Ground" is filling the feed with transmissions that are not of great interest, I have locked it out meantime, let me know what you all think.
    Thanks,
    Pat.

Quote: "Frequency 121.600 MHz AVBL for direct communication
    between ACFT and fire and rescue services. Service should be
    requested initially via ATC. Call sign for the fire station is ‘Dublin
    Fire’. It is mandatory for both ACFT and fire station to maintain
    contact with ATC at all times.
    ATC do not have access to 121.600 MHz.
    Service is H24 and AVBL within 10 NM radius of Dublin Airport."

Added in 121.600 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_emergency_frequency (international emergency broadcast freq) hopefully we will never hear them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

Mech1 wrote: »
    I'm pretty concerned that the freq "121.800 Ground" is filling the feed with transmissions that are not of great interest, I have locked it out meantime, let me know what you all think.
    Thanks,
    Pat.

You're never going to get a good balance. You have too many frequencies covered for one feed, we have at busy times 10-11 frequencies operating even during morning ops we have 8. You are saved as most of the time we are band boxing the area frees into just two so the total falls to just 6 active then post 6pm CDS is closed and you have 5.

Your best bet is to split up between yourself and the other feeder the towers to one and the radar freqs to the other.

Yes you are going to have quiet times but when it gets really busy the quality of the feed will drop as the volume of transmissions increases and the feed misses out of transmissions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

Quote: "Frequency 121.600 MHz AVBL for direct communication
    between ACFT and fire and rescue services. Service should be
    requested initially via ATC. Call sign for the fire station is ‘Dublin
    Fire’. It is mandatory for both ACFT and fire station to maintain
    contact with ATC at all times.
    ATC do not have access to 121.600 MHz.
    Service is H24 and AVBL within 10 NM radius of Dublin Airport."

Added in 121.600 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_emergency_frequency (international emergency broadcast freq) hopefully we will never hear them.

121.5 is actually quiet busy, you will hear chit chat, cabin announcements, aircraft that are on the wrong freqs looking for the right one. It's very very very rare to hear it used for its intended purpose as most aircraft are on an assigned ATC freq and can talk to them directly if they have an issue.

urajoke wrote: »
    You're never going to get a good balance. You have too many frequencies covered for one feed, we have at busy times 10-11 frequencies operating even during morning ops we have 8. You are saved as most of the time we are band boxing the area frees into just two so the total falls to just 6 active then post 6pm CDS is closed and you have 5.

Your best bet is to split up between yourself and the other feeder the towers to one and the radar freqs to the other.

Yes you are going to have quiet times but when it gets really busy the quality of the feed will drop as the volume of transmissions increases and the feed misses out of transmissions.

Yes, thats the plan. Once the other feeders get sorted, meantime i'm trying my best to find a balance, seems to be working reasonably well.

urajoke wrote: »
    121.5 is actually quiet busy, you will hear chit chat, cabin announcements, aircraft that are on the wrong freqs looking for the right one. It's very very very rare to hear it used for its intended purpose as most aircraft are on an assigned ATC freq and can talk to them directly if they have an issue.

Giving it a spin we will see if its too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Hey lads, is there an android app to listen to the feeds?

• Advertisement

Try this I dont use android so im not sure of the quality

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.liveatc.liveatc_app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

keith16 wrote: »
    Hey lads, is there an android app to listen to the feeds?

yes, there is a live atc app available at google play. I don't recommend it because as soon as your screen goes dark, your android device will attempt to save resources by simply disconnecting any streams - meaning that your app will go silent

The Iphone app doesnt do that, I'll try to get more info on a fix.

The Iphone app doesnt do that, I'll try to get more info on a fix.

I don't think it has anything to do with an app it self, it's just how android is... I use some other content streaming software on my HTC as well and they all go silent as soon as the screen goes dark. It's the default behaviour. You can modify it but it comes with a great battery life-span cost

from what I have read in the past few min, that fault / bug is only on a certain model of android device?

Title: Re: LiveATC iPhone App Now Available
    Post by: Suave on October 02, 2009, 10:33:09 AM
    Sounds promising, however I'd like to know one thing before I buy it. And this is whether the feed continues after the screen is locked (ie. turned off). If it has to be on while you're listening thats no good on the battery.

Regards

Title: Re: LiveATC iPhone App Now Available
    Post by: dave on October 02, 2009, 10:34:04 AM
    Yes, it continues to play after the screen is locked.

I can give you a personal email address of Dave Pascoe to trouble shoot this if its still not working for you

• Advertisement

android is an operating system. One version can be installed on different devices, much like microsoft windows. Have you read complaints about specific devices or specific android versions?

Sorry my last post refered to iphone,

Android devices as opposed to operating system where the problem.

rechecking for the devices affected

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duffer2010

Mech1, thanks for providing this feed. I have to say in all my years listening to the oul' "airband", this is by far the best quality of Dublin ATC I have heard. It works excellent in conjunction Flightradar24 also. I had it running on the PC yesterday evening and heard the Eagle Section just before they transferred to Baldonnel Tower. The four PC9's were returning from the JFK event in New Ross. Shortly after they switched to 123.5 they were over my house in a lovely line astern formation.

Duffer2010 wrote: »
    Mech1, thanks for providing this feed. I have to say in all my years listening to the oul' "airband", this is by far the best quality of Dublin ATC I have heard. It works excellent in conjunction Flightradar24 also. I had it running on the PC yesterday evening and heard the Eagle Section just before they transferred to Baldonnel Tower. The four PC9's were returning from the JFK event in New Ross. Shortly after they switched to 123.5 they were over my house in a lovely line astern formation.

Yeah I was following them myself on another (not public) scanner, when one of my daughters came running inside shouting "4 in a line"!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

hi Pat, thanks for the offer of the antenna but I have enough to be going on with, once the weather improves I will get whats up on my roof sorted out. It was way too windy over the weekend to get up there. I am guessing that you have no interesting in general scanning if you are giving away the discone. It's amazing what you can pick up on some of the HF bands. Shortwave can be good at night as well, you can receive global transmissions on that band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Great feed, Mech1.

I purposely waited a few days to respond since you installed the new antenna. I have to say the signal strength and quality is excellent.

I listen to it in the car via Bluetooth from my iPhone and at home with my iPad and Flightradar24 plugged into my home stereo. It's flawless.

Well done and thanks.

On another note, I am a fan of ground 121.8 but yesterday it seemed to dominate the feed to the detriment of airborne aircraft. I'm not sure what my preference is. Ideally a second feed and I'll listen to one on the iPad and the other on the iPhone with a third on the iMac when needed!

I was cycling up your way today and I should have kept an eye out for your house as you'll be easy to identify! :D

Thanks again and keep up the good work!

Thanks, I much prefer the feed without "Ground" it just takes over the feed at busy times.

Thanks, I much prefer the feed without "Ground" it just takes over the feed at busy times.
    It does but I like to hear it. A second feeder would address the issue.

Just after you said flawless, my soundcard shat itself!!!

Reboot sorted it.

I can flick on the Ground channel in the evenings if its not too busy, like now.

:D We got another sneaky 2ft of elevation on the antenna this evening, I think im approaching my neighbours limits, lets hope we dont get any chat about it:D

Turning on "Ground" now for a while.

What is EIFBP doing?

http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae101/mech1111/EI-FBP.jpg

off the West coast, Testing?

Turning on "Ground" now for a while.

I noticed. It's quiet enough to have 121.8 included. In an hour or so it will probably get a bit busier. Lets see if ground takes over the feed then.

Well done on the additional 2' :D If you go any higher you'll need a red light on top!!

• Advertisement

No word from the third feeder (Declan) about the Discone antenna, so its a free for all, anybody want it? its missing one radial but still works real well, its what this feed started up on and everyone was happy enough.
    Collection only, and its FREE!!!!!

No word from the third feeder (Declan) about the Discone antenna, so its a free for all, anybody want it? its missing one radial but still works real well, its what this feed started up on and everyone was happy enough.
    Collection only, and its FREE!!!!!

I'll happily take it but I'd sooner see a feeder take it. My VHF receiver doesn't scan so any feed I could offer would be limited.

You don't have to feed, do you need it to improve your own enjoyment of your equipment?

If so its yours, it doesn't come apart anymore so a car is ness to transport.

Pat.

According to FR24 there are 19 arrivals due between 2200 and 2300 and that doesn't include most REA and others. Lets see if ground becomes too dominant during that time.

From the middle of july i'll be in a position if required to feed :)

Just looking to setup a external antenna and get a chimney mount for both the radar box and which antenna i grab :)

You don't have to feed, do you need it to improve your own enjoyment of your equipment?

If so its yours, it doesn't come apart anymore so a car is ness to transport.

Pat.
    Ok. I'll take it but can we leave it for a few days in case a potential feeder wants it or do you need rid of it quickly?

EDIT: If andy_g wants it he can have it as he's planning to provide a feed.

Looks like we might have a new feeder that wants it already!!

And he's a Mod so we better keep him happy.

well Andy, can you collect?

• Advertisement

crosstownk wrote: »
    Ok. I'll take it but can we leave it for a few days in case a potential feeder wants it or do you need rid of it quickly?

EDIT: If andy_g wants it he can have it as he's planning to provide a feed.
    Looks like we might have a new feeder that wants it already!!

And he's a Mod so we better keep him happy.

As i said though lads it will be likely to be id july but if theres others to step up go for it :) as im in ashbourne so not sure how the quality will be. Plus its another excuse to get the new based scanner :)

Oh and im a happy mod not need to worry i am quite friendly :P

Andy, I live near Mech1 and work in Swords so I could drop it out to you if you want. I'm away on holiday middle of July but could get it to you next week.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Andy, I live near Mech1 and work in Swords so I could drop it out to you if you want. I'm away on holiday middle of July but could get it to you next week.

I have an idea. How bout we get a group of the feeders together next week ( once i know my roster from tues) and set out some goals of what we can do. as in who feeds what etc.

I'll even buy the coffee and leave the ban hammer behind :D

Andy, Ashbourne is as far away as I am from the airport, you need a D-777 to feed with the quality we are getting used to :D

Crosstown, its yours pm to arrange collection, no rush.
    Pat.

Andy, Ashbourne is as far away as I am from the airport, you need a D-777 to feed with the quality we are getting used to :D

Crosstown, its yours pm to arrange collection, no rush.
    Pat.

Cool beans :)

Pat how much did the D-777 cost ya? might invest in one then mount a radar box antenna with it and see if i can feed the box somehow

• Advertisement

Including a new pl259 for RG213 and courier it arrived in just under €100.

not bad. hmmm i'll take a mosey round

121.8 hasn't dominated the feed tonight although there are far more arrivals than departures. From what I've seen, departures have more chatter (push back, engine start point, clearance, taxi, etc, etc). Arrivals seem handier so maybe take less communication.

Im doing a little test tonight for some NI guys so Aldergrove radar / approach may ( or may not) be heard.

Are those beeps your maintenance interventions, Mech1? :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement