Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tips for self discipline when trying to lose weight

• 03-06-2019 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭

When I cut back on food, or try different eating patterns, I do start losing weight. But my problem is that I can't stick to it longer than a few days.
    I need some tips for staying disciplined during these times. I live with family, so I can't not have certain foods in the house. Also, I'm not huge, and maybe have a stone or so to lose so it seems to be hard.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Have you tried using myfitnesspal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Have you tried using myfitnesspal?

No, what does it do exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

It's a food and exercise tracker, an awesome tool IMO.

As you're tracking intake you'll find it motivates you to keep on track - keeping score as such.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

one thing I started doing which helped me with my weight-loss was simply going to bed at night time when I had the cravings to eat something. this would usually be around the 9:30/10 mark. might not suit you but it was something that stopped the late night cravings for me.

Also something you have to do (it was something I had to do) is have your goal set out. I always said I need to lose "a few Stone", when I actually set my goal and put a number on it I found it much easier to stay on track.

Hope the above helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

When I cut back on food, or try different eating patterns, I do start losing weight. But my problem is that I can't stick to it longer than a few days.

why not?, do you end up eating very bland food or do you overeat stuff you are trying to moderate?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    why not?, do you end up eating very bland food or do you overeat stuff you are trying to moderate?

I find the hunger or sugar pangs will get the better of me after a few days and I can't overcome them.

etxp wrote: »
    one thing I started doing which helped me with my weight-loss was simply going to bed at night time when I had the cravings to eat something. this would usually be around the 9:30/10 mark. might not suit you but it was something that stopped the late night cravings for me.

Also something you have to do (it was something I had to do) is have your goal set out. I always said I need to lose "a few Stone", when I actually set my goal and put a number on it I found it much easier to stay on track.

Hope the above helps.

That is a good idea about going to bed at that time. And yes sometimes the hunger pangs will catch up to me by that time. Sometimes I'll have a cup of tea curb the hunger but what goes nice with tea.......foods I shouldn't be eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 namastehealthy

I go back and forth with this app. But it's definitely a great guide to see just how much we consume daily.

I go back and forth with this app. But it's definitely a great guide to see just how much we consume daily.

I think I will give it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GeorgeOrwell

I second the MyFitnessPal recommendation.

But you have to be totally honest with it - for seven consecutive days, record exactly what you eat and drink. Weigh everything and record every ingredient. It's a bit time-consuming to begin with but it very quickly shows you the food you eat regularly which makes it easier. It'll tell you what you are eating compared to what you think you're eating and it helps you then re-adjust your meals to hit your calorie/protein/carbs/fat goals for the day.

I was shocked how many more calories I ate every day without realising - a few extra grams of porridge here, a bit more meat than I had estimated there - it is so easy for your portions to creep up without you realising and therefore going massively over your daily goals.

If you have a FitBit, MyFitnessPal will automatically sync with it, so it will record your calorie expenditure as well as your calorie input. If you're totally honest with it, every day it will tell you if you burned more calories than you consumed - that's the only way to lose fat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Nothing ever worked for me like cutting out processed sugar did. Not naturally occurring sugars, just processed and added sugars. So I stopped eating processed sugary snacks and replaced them with fruit when I needed a sweet snack. My relationship with my appetite completely readjusted once I'd kicked the addiction to processed sugar. I found that I had less desire for lots of simple carbohydrates and was satisfied without eating bread/pasta/potatoes at every meal. The weight fell off in a sure but steady manner. I thought I had a stone or so to lose, the reality is that I had over two stone to lose to get to a healthy BMI and at least another stone to actually feel closer to what's best for me. It took about 6 months to get there.

After that, I knew I needed to start adding more exercise to my lifestyle, because I was a healthy weight but unfit. I also knew that the likelihood of gaining the weight back was higher if I remained so sedentary. By chance I found an activity that turns out to be my absolute passion while also being a really top notch aerobic and anaerobic exercise. So I never have to make myself work out, instead I'm constantly trying to schedule at least 90 minutes into each day. I average about 10 hours a week but often do double that, if I can get away with it.

I eat whatever I want now and don't completely avoid processed sugar anymore. Though I strongly favour quality over quantity, so I'd rather have a few squares of really good quality chocolate than a big bar of chocolate flavoured palm oil. And the mental satisfaction and dopamine buzz I get from 'working' out has largely replaced the pleasure I used to get from ****e food. I am genuinely in touch with my appetite and I won't eat for the sake of it, while also eating a lot when when I need to. I don't count calories, just listen to what my body is telling me it needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

iguana wrote: »
    Nothing ever worked for me like cutting out processed sugar did. Not naturally occurring sugars, just processed and added sugars. So I stopped eating processed sugary snacks and replaced them with fruit when I needed a sweet snack. My relationship with my appetite completely readjusted once I'd kicked the addiction to processed sugar. I found that I had less desire for lots of simple carbohydrates and was satisfied without eating bread/pasta/potatoes at every meal. The weight fell off in a sure but steady manner. I thought I had a stone or so to lose, the reality is that I had over two stone to lose to get to a healthy BMI and at least another stone to actually feel closer to what's best for me. It took about 6 months to get there.

After that, I knew I needed to start adding more exercise to my lifestyle, because I was a healthy weight but unfit. I also knew that the likelihood of gaining the weight back was higher if I remained so sedentary. By chance I found an activity that turns out to be my absolute passion while also being a really top notch aerobic and anaerobic exercise. So I never have to make myself work out, instead I'm constantly trying to schedule at least 90 minutes into each day. I average about 10 hours a week but often do double that, if I can get away with it.

I eat whatever I want now and don't completely avoid processed sugar anymore. Though I strongly favour quality over quantity, so I'd rather have a few squares of really good quality chocolate than a big bar of chocolate flavoured palm oil. And the mental satisfaction and dopamine buzz I get from 'working' out has largely replaced the pleasure I used to get from ****e food. I am genuinely in touch with my appetite and I won't eat for the sake of it, while also eating a lot when when I need to. I don't count calories, just listen to what my body is telling me it needs.

Can I ask what the sport/activity is that you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Skating. I took my son to a party at the roller rink at New Years and remembered just how much I really love skating. It took a few months for me to really get the bug but now I skate for an hour or two (or more if I have the opportunity) most days. I do 4 different kinds, rink, long distance, vert (ramps) and am just picking up freestyle slalom. It’s physically a great exercise (surprisingly muscle building) but it just feels like playing. I recommend it to anyone.

OP here.
    I've been having some success lately. I joined the gym, I am working out (lightly so far), approximately 3-4 times per week.
    I am watching my calorie intake too.
    Although it's just been a couple of weeks, it is still the longest I have stayed disciplined. I don't know what has changed, but I feel far more determined this time. I am on track to reach my weight loss goal. I really hope I can keep it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

OP here.
    I've been having some success lately. I joined the gym, I am working out (lightly so far), approximately 3-4 times per week.
    I am watching my calorie intake too.
    Although it's just been a couple of weeks, it is still the longest I have stayed disciplined. I don't know what has changed, but I feel far more determined this time. I am on track to reach my weight loss goal. I really hope I can keep it up.

Well done. You're building a habit now and it becomes easier to stick with it. There will be days that determination/motivation flags and you need something to get you there. Habit kicks in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭king size mars bar

Trying to be more disciplined myself, up and down but tryin would love to shift a few stone for Xmas. Finding it very hard to get out and get going, for a lad that was sport mad I'm finding it hard to understand.
    But got to start somewhere

https://sigmanutrition.com/episode69/

Really good podcast on little things to engineer your surroundings or how you interact with your surroundings to help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

swap snacky rubbish for a carrot or cucumber or something. Satisfies the craving but very little calories and I find you tend to feel a bit fuller after too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Would like to restate the importance of measuring the calories you are taking in, but its not worth a damn unless you do it right. You need to measure everything and you need to educate yourself about what you are eating.

Milk for example, I bet there are people who record how much food is on their plate but don't count the glass of milk they had. Its just a drink, right? Except that drinking milk with your dinner could be hundreds of calories.

A couple of biscuits, nothing really, not worth measuring. Nope, thats hundreds of calories there too.

You need to measure everything, every pour of gravy, every cup of tea with sugar, every snack, every potato. Until you do I could almost guarantee you are substantially under recording just how much food you are eating.

Its not even that hard, after a week or two you will have a list of all your common meals anyway, but the real benefit is that once you start to learn what foods have what calories, thats when you can spot the foods that you could easily ditch without too much hardship!

• Advertisement

I'm still staying reasonably disciplined almost 3 weeks into joining the gym. Still my longest ever.
    But my weight loss decreased drastically as soon as I started doing weights. It's a bit discouraging. But I'm hoping it's because I'm gaining muscle and losing fat, and getting leaner. Anyone know if this would be the case? I haven't had a chance to speak with a gym instructor/trainer yet.

I'm still staying reasonably disciplined almost 3 weeks into joining the gym. Still my longest ever.
    But my weight loss decreased drastically as soon as I started doing weights. It's a bit discouraging. But I'm hoping it's because I'm gaining muscle and losing fat, and getting leaner. Anyone know if this would be the case? I haven't had a chance to speak with a gym instructor/trainer yet.

What’s your intake like? 3 weeks is a pretty short time tbh.

bladespin wrote: »
    What’s your intake like? 3 weeks is a pretty short time tbh.

The first week I lost 4lbs. Then I started doing weights and since then I haven't lost any weight.
    About 1000 - 1500 calories per day (I'm short).

The first week I lost 4lbs. Then I started doing weights and since then I haven't lost any weight.

You said your workouts are light so it's unlikely it's muscle. It's unlikely it'd be muscle even if they were more intense. I doubt the weights are directly responsible.

Is there anything else that has changed in relation to activity or food?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

If you’re only doing weights a few weeks then I can assure you you’re not building enough muscle to make an impact on the scales.
    Biggest weight losses are usually in week 1.

You said your workouts are light so it's unlikely it's muscle. It's unlikely it'd be muscle even if they were more intense. I doubt the weights are directly responsible.

Is there anything else that has changed in relation to activity or food?

I upped the intensity of my work outs after the first week, and started doing weights. Burning approximately 400-450 calories per cardio session. My calorie intake is lower; smaller portions, less junk, no eating after 6pm, drinking more water.
    After the first week of no weight loss I chalked it up to it just being a slow week and I had lost 4lbs the week before, so no big deal. But after a second week of no weight loss and working really hard, I'm stumped. I don't expect to be down another 4lbs, but I was expecting maybe 1lb per week.
    I don't have a lot to lose, maybe a stone or thereabouts.

I upped the intensity of my work outs after the first week, and started doing weights. Burning approximately 400-450 calories per cardio session. My calorie intake is lower; smaller portions, less junk, no eating after 6pm, drinking more water.
    After the first week of no weight loss I chalked it up to it just being a slow week and I had lost 4lbs the week before, so no big deal. But after a second week of no weight loss and working really hard, I'm stumped. I don't expect to be down another 4lbs, but I was expecting maybe 1lb per week.
    I don't have a lot to lose, maybe a stone or thereabouts.

Has it been your time of the month in the last couple of weeks?

Has it been your time of the month in the last couple of weeks?

Nope. In fact it was the first week when I lost the 4lbs.

What does a weights session consist of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Don't fear hunger.

It's a natural, primordial state to be in. We're probably the only animal on the planet (bar domestic livestock and pets) to have bellies perpetually full.

What does a weights session consist of?

At the moment, one day I do arms, one day I do legs, on the weights machines. I haven't started anything else as I haven't had an assessment with an instructor yet, to get a plan in place. Maybe that's the issue. I'm working out blindly with no plan in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

At the moment, one day I do arms, one day I do legs, on the weights machines. I haven't started anything else as I haven't had an assessment with an instructor yet, to get a plan in place. Maybe that's the issue. I'm working out blindly with no plan in place.

To be honest that doesn't sound like a great workout plan. Where is back and chest? And weight machines are poor for strengthening your core.

Talk with your instructor and have them show you how to do squats, deadlifts and bench press as part of an exercise plan. Start off with light weights until you master the movement. They will help build up your core strength and also help with posture and reducing fat (once you have a reasonable eating plan)

Are you tracking calories accurately? Sorry to ask but it's the first place to look, number one problem is underestimation.
    How do you know you're burning 400-450 calories? Is it a machine reading? Be wary of these, also you should not 'allow' for these calories when trying to loose, they will be just an added bonus.

OP here.
    A month into my new lifestyle and I'm loving it. I realised that working out is actually the thing that is keeping me more disciplined with food. I work out in the mornings and it puts me in a good frame of mind for the day and discourages me from wanting to eat junk food. I'm working out 4-5 times pw now. I met with a trainer a few days ago who put a plan in place for me and I'm already seeing results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭ksceniaonegina

Get a friend to go on this diet together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Smile111

I read somewhere about trying not to eat into your exercise calories. What does this mean?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

Smile111 wrote: »
    I read somewhere about trying not to eat into your exercise calories. What does this mean?

Thanks

It means if you burn extra calories in a day through exercise, you shouldn't increase your calorific intake for the day to match it.

So if you are limiting yourself to 1200 calories of food per day and burn another 300 in the gym, you should still stick to eating 1200 calories and not allow yourself eat the other 300 as it would essentially undo your good work in the gym.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,810 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Be active...

When time and distance allow walk to your destination.

If there are parks nearby schedule a couple of weekly long walks.

Join a gym

If budget can stretch buy a bike for home use

Food...

I eat healthy all week but make Saturday an exception...either chipper or pizza

Slow down on snacks..

Strumms wrote: »
    Be active...

When time and distance allow walk to your destination.

If there are parks nearby schedule a couple of weekly long walks.

Join a gym

If budget can stretch buy a bike for home use

Food...

I eat healthy all week but make Saturday an exception...either chipper or pizza

Slow down on snacks..

Could this not undo your good work during the week? My trainer has said I can eat what I want one day a week but try to keep within my calorie goal.

Could this not undo your good work during the week? My trainer has said I can eat what I want one day a week but try to keep within my calorie goal.

It certainly can/will, if you've 'saved' 2400cals with your hard work during the week, blowing the lot on taco chips sounds a bit dopey to me.

Cheat meals are ok (imo) but not weekly, if you're trying to be disciplined then you really need to stick it out until it becomes a habit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭BnB

I found all the tips and ideas in this thread very interesting so far.

RE late night hunger (by far my own biggest downfall). I used to sit down at 10 o clock at night and have 2 or 3 sandwiches. The problem was, I would make an amount of sandwiches (or whatever food) based on how hungry I felt, and then I would obviously eat it all. Instead, if you just make something small - Don't tell yourself that's all you're getting, but just don't prepare it all at once.

So for example, instead of putting on two slices of toast - Put on a single slice of brown toast. Put away the bread etc and sit down and eat it. You probably will feel like more as soon as you have eaten it, but it's going to take a few minutes before you get up again and take out the bread etc. and the longer you leave it, the less chance you have of eating more (as the slice you have eaten hits your system) and you will generally end up not bothering with any more.

RE Exercise - If you are trying to motivate yourself to get out the door to go to the gym or go for a run or whatever - Don't focus too much on what you have to do. Just focus on getting yourself out the door. Once you are in the gym or going for the run or whatever you will be happy you go out. Also, focus on how you will feel afterwards. No matter how hard it is to get off the couch now, you know you will feel great afterwards.

Also RE Exercise, Someone else has mentioned this previously, but just to second it - Look for an outlet that you actually enjoy. If you are going to the Gym and you hate it, it is not going to last. You have to find something that you enjoy and you actually look forward to. Don't be afraid to try out lots of things to find that one thing. The problem with a lot of us is that we played just the usual stuff growing up. Maybe GAA, soccer, rugby..... and if they're not for you, you drift away from sport. But there are lots of sports / activities out there to try. Be creative and look for anything. Generally, the more obscure the sport / activity the greater chance that there will be a lot of beginners in it

BnB wrote: »
    I found all the tips and ideas in this thread very interesting so far.

RE Exercise - If you are trying to motivate yourself to get out the door to go to the gym or go for a run or whatever - Don't focus too much on what you have to do. Just focus on getting yourself out the door. Once you are in the gym or going for the run or whatever you will be happy you go out. Also, focus on how you will feel afterwards. No matter how hard it is to get off the couch now, you know you will feel great afterwards.

I second this, and have noticed it myself. In the short time I've been going to the gym, I am enjoying it and look forward to it most mornings. But there have been some mornings I wasn't in the form to go. But I got up and put my gym clothes on anyway. Once they were on, it put me in the mood and I would end up going and be so glad afterwards that I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

A good preworkout like Craze will get you absolutely dying to hit the gym

I'm currently cutting as I don't follow the typical bro calender aka get ripped for ibiza in June lol

Eating 400 cals below maintenance, taking the bulk of the carbs in just before training, using 5iu of growth hormone and 200mg test just to keep the muscle I have as it's all to easy to lose it during a cut.

Current stats, 178mc tall, 98kg , 11% bf. Aiming to hit 8%

Advertisement