Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meta Quest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

I. Picked up Baby Hands on App Lab as I fancied a more relaxed sand box game.

Crashland is another contender but I'll probably wait on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Crashland is a decent game, gets fairly hard very quickly, it is one of those games that you can be reluctant to fire up but end up settling in for long sessions whenever you do, the little hook of you only have to survive for a few minutes is guaranteed to make you late, repeatedly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

sticker wrote: »
    Cheers! :D Used it on desktop!

Picked up Saints & Sinners...

Worked for me - picked up the Star Wars Saga game

On one of the facebook groups I came across a guy selling a headphone mod for the Halo Strap and he was also kind to upload the 3D printed parts to thingiverse also:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4817538

550056.jpg

It uses 2 models of JLab Audio Studio On Ear Headphones, the ones i ordered are available from Amazon US.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/your-account/order-details/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_order_details_o00?ie=UTF8&orderID=114-7923196-5232233

I ordered mine yesterdayfor $24.52 so i didnt have to pay import fees up front, but they went up in price and are available currently for $36.92 including import fees which isn't too shabby either.

(If you're googling and come across the JLab "JBuddies" on Oxendales beware, these are childrens headphones which look
    almost identical and Oxednales has terrible reviews on trust pilot.)

A cool side effect of this design is that the bracket prevents the clips for the Halo strap from sliding back. An Annoying problem I've found. It will also prevent the rubber inside the halo strap clips from wearing out.

After some videos back and forth witht he designer I have remixed the design.
    Instead of having to use epoxy glue to hold the screw in the bracket, i have added a holder for an M3 nut.

This means you can now tighten or loosen the clip with a screwdriver to suit how tight or loose you want the rotation of the headphones.

Here's an image of what I adjusted, the screws I'm using are a bit short, need to get some 12mm long m3 screws.

550057.jpg

My remix should be up on thingiverse by the end of the day. I'll throw up a link here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Nice. I was hoping that rumour was true. RE:4 is one of my favourite games. The wii was one of the best versions. This is gonna be class in VR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭druss

I got an email about a premium monthly sub for FitXR last night. It has a free 90 day trial before switching to a monthly plan.

TBH, it's not an app I've used as much since I bought it. Thrill of the Fight has been my "go to" for a blast workout. I might give the trial a go and see if I'm more likely to use if I've a structured class and an insulting personal instructor to work with!

It's interesting in terms of the expansion of the overall platform though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

druss wrote: »
    I got an email about a premium monthly sub for FitXR last night. It has a free 90 day trial before switching to a monthly plan.

TBH, it's not an app I've used as much since I bought it. Thrill of the Fight has been my "go to" for a blast workout. I might give the trial a go and see if I'm more likely to use if I've a structured class and an insulting personal instructor to work with!

It's interesting in terms of the expansion of the overall platform though.

What headstrap are you using for the workouts, and any problem getting the gunk and sweat off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭druss

mrcheez wrote: »
    What headstrap are you using for the workouts, and any problem getting the gunk and sweat off?

I'm like UK royalty. I don't sweat!:pac:

Well, clarification. a bit, but nothing too bad. I have the fake-elite headstrap but haven't upgraded the default cover to a silicone one yet, but will at some stage. If I do three fights back to back on Thrill, that might cause issues, but I normally sit in my Virtual corner to contemplate life after two fights-max!

I didn't do a long work out on FitVR, mainly 15 minute bursts. That wasn't as intensive as Thrill either, but I was probably on base level.

sounds like you're doing it wrong! Need to be swimming in a pool after a decent TotF match ;)

• Advertisement

Interesting discussion on reddit about how Walking Dead Saints & Sinners sold on Quest compared to other platforms and you can see why devs might be tempted to target Quest 2 initially going forward

g9bx0snd8jt61.jpg

No surprises why FB have reversed their decision to allow enable streaming from PC. They are even rolling out their own air play now, so in about a months time you won’t even need virtual desktop.

Some nice sales going on for Quest at the moment in a 24 hour flash sale

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/section/301135461437529#/

Tempted to grab In Death Unchained for €20

I got Air Link working on the Quest 2 using the APK linked in this Reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/mwgrob/appairlinknow_helps_you_launch_air_link_now/

I also have v28 on the Quest 2 a few days so you'll need that. It can be sideloaded but i got by using an older APK of a VPN client that lets you use a VPN based in Ontario Canada and it invokes the update instantly.

Seems butter smooth right next to the router and the Oculus Tray Tool works exactly like before, even the HUD you can enable to display your current frame rate.

120HZ doesnt seem to be working yet for Air Link or Link, but i presume Oculus will add a 120Hz option on the Oculus Desktop App at some point.

Haven't tried it in another room yet.

When does it officially go live? I assumed once you updated to V28 air link would be available from the beta menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭copperspock

kerplun k wrote: »
    When does it officially go live? I assumed once you updated to V28 air link would be available from the beta menu.

It's available for me now, though AL didn't show up in Beta until I rebooted, logged out and in again.

am I right that SteamVR doesn't work great with AirLink?

mrcheez wrote: »
    am I right that SteamVR doesn't work great with AirLink?

It works fine with Airlink you just need to add steam vr games manually to your oculus library.

Anything that works with Oculus link will work with Airlink.

I emailed the developer of the Oculus Tray Tool and he confirmed that ASW won't work at 60fps to give you 120fps reprojected yet. Oculus needs to add it.

Decided on the Vive DAS ... shame they lump on a €23 delivery fee so it comes to €143.36 in total.

Still I think I've made the right choice as I can swap it for my Quest 1 as well when I want to play that

Now to get the adaptors...

Anyone find a nice case for the Frankenquest 2?

The damn thing arrived this morning... haven't even had a chance to start looking for adaptors :(

I wonder if I can just use sellotape until then :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Had the Vive DAS on the original Quest, which was decent, but was only really worth it as I already had it to hand. Not really worth going out specifically for otherwise IMO (storage was a complete PITA), but I've seen some of the adaptors doing the rounds for Quest 2 nowadays as they look a far neater job that actually look the part, so it may be a more decent option nowadays.

On that note, my Elite Strap has developed the crack. So much for the sorted production issues - it'll be getting fired back to them.

McDermotX wrote: »
    On that note, my Elite Strap has developed the crack. So much for the sorted production issues - it'll be getting fired back to them.

:(

Was it the battery version with the case? I think they send you a new version with a new case in that event.

No....just the standard one. Quite annoying TBH, especially seeing as how I only got the strap a few months back ruling out all this early batch production issue stuff. I hear they replace them handily enough once you go through the process, but I would probably look into an alternative anyway (might even give the Frankenquest 2 idea a pop).

I was literally on the verge of ordering the elite today. Every strap review puts this down as the most comfortable. I’m gonna leave it after reading your post. I’m fairly happy with the fake elite for now.

I'm sure there are people who have had no issues, but then I'm also fairly certain there are others who just don't notice a problem. In my case the crack is only evident when the strap is extended, but will disappear when the band is contracted.
    All points to a stress issue, and given the somewhat rigid fragility of the plastic, it seems only a matter of time with constant usage.......of course that doesn't explain my situation completely as I would think I'm on the low end of usage compared to some.
    Shame, as its certainly far more comfortable than the included strap. Will chase the replacement anyway.

McDermotX wrote: »
    I'm sure there are people who have had no issues, but then I'm also fairly certain there are others who just don't notice a problem. In my case the crack is only evident when the strap is extended, but will disappear when the band is contracted.
    All points to a stress issue, and given the somewhat rigid fragility of the plastic, it seems only a matter of time with constant usage.......of course that doesn't explain my situation completely as I would think I'm on the low end of usage compared to some.
    Shame, as its certainly far more comfortable than the included strap. Will chase the replacement anyway.

Hopefully it's a quick turnaround!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Not sure if it was in this thread that there was a discussion of sky world's.

I had a look at it (sky world's) the other day and liked the clips for the premier League games. Are they broadcasting many matches in it and have they a list somewhere?
    I know you can go in and watch it like it's a big screen in a sitting room but I'm looking for the full thing where it's like you're in the ground.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I had a look at it (sky world's) the other day and liked the clips for the premier League games. Are they broadcasting many matches in it and have they a lost somewhere?
    I know you can go in and watch it like it's a big screen in a sitting room but I'm looking for the full thing where it's like you're in the ground.

I watched the arsenal v tottenham match a couple of months ago and it was cool. There's 4 different positions around the ground, I found middle high to be the best. You basically have a view of the whole pitch below you and a big screen above it showing the TV coverage.

When crowds are back it will be better too as it feels a bit weird with the mpty stands at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I had a look at it (sky world's) the other day and liked the clips for the premier League games. Are they broadcasting many matches in it and have they a lost somewhere?

AFAIK the full 'sitting in the stand' experience is only available for the small number of live games they show. I was hoping they might do it for United-Liverpool today but doesn't seem to be. This is the nearest thing to a list (took me a while to figure out 'lost':P) I can find, not sure how comprehensive it is
    https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/5060690107290136/events/

It is a cool experience (my favourite POV is pitch level at half way) but tbh our Internet isn't really up to the job, a lot of buffering & blurring going on:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Cheers folks.

Was hoping for United - Liverpool today. Ah well. You'd think at the very least they'd push it for these big games. I'll keep an eye on it .

I had a mess with bigscreen yesterday too. Jumped in to an episode of Rick and Morty. Was weird to see other people sitting there beside me(well, their avatars :) ) .

Missed my typo till I'd read it back about 4 times too :)

Advertisement