Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Client may go into a nursing home if nobody at home

Options
  • 15-07-2020 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

A client of mine is going into hospital for a procedure in a few weeks. he did have relatives living with him but whilst he's in hospital they will be moving into their new house. I'm afraid that if he doesn't get more support at home, he will be going into a nursing home and never see his home again. (He built it)

What can I do as his carer to ensure that he will be allowed back home after he is discharged from hospital?

Thankyou for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Baybay

My mother who had lots of home support, transitioned from hospital into a convalescent home for a few weeks to gain some strength after a serious procedure. Perhaps something like that could be arranged for your client until you can take over again?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If the procedure means he will need full time care for a short while then, in the absence of anyone in his home he might need to go into some sort of nursing home or convalescence situation. Why are you assuming this would be permanent?

The relatives who were living with him were apparently only there on a temporary basis, they will be moving into their new home at some stage in the near future, and it appears were not his carers, just temporary visitors.

What you can do to ensure he is allowed back home is not clear at this stage. If your best option is to increase your caring hours - if the client wants to - and this is not considered sufficient by the hospital, even including him having a emergency button and ensuring his bed and the bathroom are adjacent, then he will have to have residential care. Again, why are you anticipating that this would be permanent?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Tinwhistle*

I’ve been in touch with the care team and requested I’ll be at his home when he’s discharged. I was worried he wouldn’t have the adequate care. He’s very unsteady on his legs. I’ve also asked that the OT visits for physio.

All good!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Tinwhistle*

Well, he’s gone into a nursing home as I suspected. He was talked into it, but I know he wanted to go home. Very sad.
    Baybay wrote: »
    My mother who had lots of home support, transitioned from hospital into a convalescent home for a few weeks to gain some strength after a serious procedure. Perhaps something like that could be arranged for your client until you can take over again?

Advertisement