Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Performance based pay scale

Options
  • 25-07-2020 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm doing some thinking out loud and I was reading about some teachers working very hard during the lockdown and some not so much and I thought to myself (out loud) should we have a pay scale based on performance.

Now I'm just a lay person so the nitty gritty would need to be kneaded out. Say for example a math teacher on grade 1 taught and motivated 80 per cent of her students to get an honour in junior cert maths surely she deserves to go up to grade 2. If she did it for 5 years in a row grade 3 would be given.

This would seriously empty out the rot in the education system. I had too many teachers just turning up and getting paid one who read geography from the book at a monotone barely audible level then crucified anybody who looked like falling asleep. For a whole year. Nobody in the whole class got above a C in the junior cert in his subject. Why should he get the same money as somebody who is there as long as them and still lighting a fire under the students.

In this world and systems Robin Wiliams oh captain my captain gets the same pay and conditions as Ferris Buellers teacher. What's the story here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Hi, I'm doing some thinking out loud and I was reading about some teachers working very hard during the lockdown and some not so much and I thought to myself (out loud) should we have a pay scale based on performance.

Now I'm just a lay person so the nitty gritty would need to be kneaded out. Say for example a math teacher on grade 1 taught and motivated 80 per cent of her students to get an honour in junior cert maths surely she deserves to go up to grade 2. If she did it for 5 years in a row grade 3 would be given.

This would seriously empty out the rot in the education system. I had too many teachers just turning up and getting paid one who read geography from the book at a monotone barely audible level then crucified anybody who looked like falling asleep. For a whole year. Nobody in the whole class got above a C in the junior cert in his subject. Why should he get the same money as somebody who is there as long as them and still lighting a fire under the students.

In this world and systems Robin Wiliams oh captain my captain gets the same pay and conditions as Ferris Buellers teacher. What's the story here?

In such a system absolutely nobody would be willing to teach in poorer areas or teach kids with additional needs. The 'motivation' of the teacher, in reality is probably a minor factor in determining how well a student will do in a particular subject, especially one like maths. Some children are born with a natural flair, others aren't. Many kids have motivated parents who take an interest in their kids' education, others don't, some have parents who can afford grinds, others don't. Two identical teachers, one teaching in a deprived area and one teaching in a well to do area will have students getting vastly different results. The grades of a student is a very poor measure of a teacher's job performance. In saying that I'm all for finding some way of rewarding and incentivising teachers who go the extra mile for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

They do this in other countries and its a bit of a logistical nightmare. It's very hard to correctly judge as schools themselves are different. We've just hit national average in my subject at honours level in a DEIS school. This took a massive amount of work but in a nice school in a nice area they would have more sitting higher level andost would be getting grinds. The grades don't always reflect the actual teacher.

I agree it is very frustrating. Generally the best teachers also end up with more exam classes, larger classes, and taking over classes that are behind due to parental complaint. I've seen good principals start the process of section 21 (completely correctly and very professionally) and the teacher just leave and get a job somewhere else. I do think having the formalised structure to hold teachers to account over time should hopefully out pressure on very poorly preforming teachers to buck up but only time will tell. It's still very new.

I think there has to be a bit of cop on too, if you are in a tough school it's mentally and emotionally very difficult, after 10 years of good teaching you might have an off year. Good principals will alknowledge this and move things are for a year, give you less exam years, maybe some small groups.

I also certainly know that there are teachers perceived as very good teachers who will always teach the full timetable of their subject, no small groups, no wellbeing
    sphe, no special education even if they are qualified, no chance at BFL or Home School in certain schools. With the new interviews this actually damages their chance of promotion. Complete insanity really. Same with teachers with certain subjects. I've also seen teachers moved completely into non exam subjects, very little correcting, no mocks, Christmas test or the extra prep for JC or LC. I'd love to see a way of rewarding the good teachers but any idea I think of is very open to manipulation or would find it hard to take into account the subtleties of schools

I think supports for teacher's struggling might be the way to go. With equalisation almost complete my pay is pretty ok now, I do have a post and I supplement with correcting usually but it's fine. I'd be more interested in equity of opertuninty, not necessarily for me but for teachers coming in now so the good ones don't spend all their time teaching exam years and get a chance to experience other aspects of teaching. I'd like to see struggling teachers supported more by management (varies massively from school to school), more principals actually going through the process of section 21 and more conversation by management with individual teachers around areas of improvement.

Sorryfor the extra post but I would also love to see the department make it easier to move schools. I feel the same about social work. The school I'm in is brilliant and we have improved steadily over the last few years to the point where kids have an excellent shot at third level and most will go on. It's tough though, we know the kids very well, we know their homelives, we are often their one good adult. I still have kids emailing em over the summer. Those kids would be back in the morning if they could be. Some will be the week after next for a summer school (one thing I really appreciate the department for doing). I love it there. However, I am aware that in 10 years time or 15 I may have burnt out. Maybe sooner. It should be possible to say, fair play, you did this for 20 years now go somewhere you aren't a social worker alongside a teacher for the last 10/15 years. Some of our older teachers mind you are absolutely unreal, haven't lost a bit of their passion but even the knowledge that your last 5 years could be spent just teaching your subject would be comforting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Bassfish wrote: »
    In such a system absolutely nobody would be willing to teach in poorer areas or teach kids with additional needs. The 'motivation' of the teacher, in reality is probably a minor factor in determining how well a student will do in a particular subject, especially one like maths. Some children are born with a natural flair, others aren't. Many kids have motivated parents who take an interest in their kids' education, others don't, some have parents who can afford grinds, others don't. Two identical teachers, one teaching in a deprived area and one teaching in a well to do area will have students getting vastly different results. The grades of a student is a very poor measure of a teacher's job performance. In saying that I'm all for finding some way of rewarding and incentivising teachers who go the extra mile for the kids.

That's abit unfair on some of the miracle work teachers do in deprived areas. Some teachers can make the experience magical and get all parties on board, parents, children brothers sisters and the local community surely they should have a bigger slice of the pie than johnny phone it in who turns up and reads the book.

I teach maths, my level of motivation and my hard work has meant we have gone from a couple of students maybe a year sitting higher level to the national average for the subject. It's taken years, it's taken extra classes, me teaching more hours to allow the class to be split at senior level and constant encouragement of the students and, more importantly than anything, instilling them with a sense of pride and self belief. This idea that there is some magic bullet in maths and you have it or you don't is very damaging to students. Hard work is a damn sight more important as if the self belief to try, fail and try again. Obviously maths makes sense to me and I have always done well in it, but both my parents were good at maths, I was helped at home, maths was a part of my life and I expected to be good at it. The Pygmalion effect is the most persistent and well proven psychological effector in education, as a teacher it is vital to keep that in the front of our minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭Rosita

The problem with this is that it rewards one criterion namely academic results. Many would not offer to teach academically weaker ill-disciplined students. In broad terms your suggestion has merit but is problematic. It should be said that I have worked in a private sector setting where there were annual reviews based around salary but I always felt it was going through the motions and no matter what you did it was more or less preordained, though I’m sure the head honchos would convince you they were running a rigorous performance-driven remuneration system.

I remember a school Principal of long-standing in a large school telling me, about 14 years ago, that her sister who worked in a bank got a bonus larger than her Principal’s annual salary. And we now know the kind of job the banks were doing. Remuneration and performance are not necessarily commensurate. The best people are not always motivated by money, and those motivated by money are not always the best people. There are people in teaching doing amazing jobs with students who’ll never cut it academically, students who the classically “good teachers” (who’d slit your throat over homework, take no nonsense etc.) wouldn’t last two minutes with.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

That's abit unfair on some of the miracle work teachers do in deprived areas. Some teachers can make the experience magical and get all parties on board, parents, children brothers sisters and the local community surely they should have a bigger slice of the pie than johnny phone it in who turns up and reads the book.

Totally agree there's amazing teachers in deprived areas but that misses the point. Under a system of teachers being graded by their students' results, that Johnny phone it in teacher working in Dalkey will be classed as better than that miracle worker teacher working in Darndale because so many socio-economic factors are going to have a role in determining grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Totally agree there's amazing teachers in deprived areas but that misses the point. Under a system of teachers being graded by their students' results, that Johnny phone it in teacher working in Dalkey will be classed as better than that miracle worker teacher working in Darndale because so many socio-economic factors are going to have a role in determining grades.

Not to mind the fact that those from more affluent families can afford grinds etc, which will inflate the grades of the 'phone it in' teacher. Prove it wasn't their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

The largest and most expensive educational experiment in history found that this performance based pay through teacher observation and test results doesn't work.

The only way to improve the quality of teaching is to convince every teacher, no matter how good or bad they are, that they can be even better. Invest in quality CPD and encourage teachers to do further study that is heavily if not totally subsidised.

They could always test the students before and after the teacher works their magic. If they can balance the whole financial system of the world so that the price of grain in Bolivia can be steady with the price of bananas alaska surely they can come up with an idea where a few kids can leave a darndale school with the ability to go to college and to work for KPMG in a well paid position. How many are told to do a course in childcare and take a barely minimum wage job after they leave school if they are girls and get a trade off some Dodgey fecker that wont even register their apprenticeship if they are boys?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I have worked in 3 companies with performance bsed pay systems, private, public and semi-state, and trust me, unless it is a ruthless private sector employer who can fire on the basis of a couple of year's of poor performance ratings, (and even at that it is hard for an employer to do) it empties no rot out at all.It causes rows over the grades people achieve (ah, the bell curve and "normalisation" of each person's score in the context of the wider company), rows over bonus sizes as you move to more senior grades, the majority of semi-state and public sector just keep their jobs anyway, and it solves....nothing.There would be no point in introducing it.

The human factor is the problem in measuring the humans.Essentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Make teaching a desirable career. In Ireland Medicine is hard to get into, in Finland teaching is like that. Then you get the cream of the crop and not the usual chancers you see here in CSPE.

They could always test the students before and after the teacher works their magic. If they can balance the whole financial system of the world so that the price of grain in Bolivia can be steady with the price of bananas alaska surely they can come up with an idea where a few kids can leave a darndale school with the ability to go to college and to work for KPMG in a well paid position. How many are told to do a course in childcare and take a barely minimum wage job after they leave school if they are girls and get a trade off some Dodgey fecker that wont even register their apprenticeship if they are boys?

You make it sounds like teachers are telling them to aim for lesser careers and jobs. You don't take into account the background of many students. Some students from disadvantaged backgrounds make it because they have the supports at school and at home and they have the drive to succeed and improve their lot in life. Some with all the supports in the world at school will not succeed if they don't have support from home and they don't have the drive to succeed themselves. Schools can only do so much.

Also you can't just view success as coming from disadvantage and then getting a well paid job in the likes of KPMG. That is a success story, however sometimes a student finishing school despite their background, and then going on to getting a job anywhere and keeping it is a success if they have come from a background of generations of the family not ever working. Sometimes a student can make the jump, and sometimes it takes a few generations.

If this crisis has taught us anything it's that we should be very respectful of those working in childcare as our economy is very dependent on them.

For some students a child care course is their dream, for some it's science, for some fintech, for other music etc. I'm in an area very like Darndale and we would have kids aiming for medicine and some delighted they already have their acceptance into their desired PLC. For most they will be the first in their family to continue their education after secondary, for a number they will be the first to sit and pass a leaving cert. As stated above the most important thing is they have a path, they have a desire for something for themselves in the future, they can see a future. Generational change is hard.

I would agree with everyone above. Another thing to note is schools are very teamwork based. It's important we all basically get along in a staffroom, I've been in toxic staffrooms and I'd leave a school over it no problem. A round of promotions nearly caused mayhem in our school and we started in a good position interpersonally. Even if I was to benefit from such a system I wouldn't want the atmosphere it would bring.

We are worryingly low on teachers as in anyway

If this crisis has taught us anything it's that we should be very respectful of those working in childcare as our economy is very dependent on them.

For some students a child care course is their dream, for some it's science, for some fintech, for other music etc. I'm in an area very like Darndale and we would have kids aiming for medicine and some delighted they already have their acceptance into their desired PLC. For most they will be the first in their family to continue their education after secondary, for a number they will be the first to sit and pass a leaving cert. As stated above the most important thing is they have a path, they have a desire for something for themselves in the future, they can see a future. Generational change is hard.

I would agree with everyone above. Another thing to note is schools are very teamwork based. It's important we all basically get along in a staffroom, I've been in toxic staffrooms and I'd leave a school over it no problem. A round of promotions nearly caused mayhem in our school and we started in a good position interpersonally. Even if I was to benefit from such a system I wouldn't want the atmosphere it would bring.

We are worryingly low on teachers as in anyway

Yeah maybe college professors but should somebody teaching geography and music in st random in north dublin get as much money as the teacher busting a gut in jobstown putting a high percentage of his kids into decent college courses. I think a system exists that breeds toxicity towards anybody that is seen as a try hard. I was allowed do music for my junior cert. I couldn't play an instrument, I couldn't afford one I was never going to have a career in it but they needed to fill up places and had a music class, nobody even asked me why I was studying it, they were just happy a science class or tech drawing had less applicants, I learned that a song exists called ripples in the rock pool and got a high score in the junior cert. I picked music because it was an easy honour. Nobody gives a fiddlers.
    Teacher I had, gave a bit of time to the few people with guitars or whatever but we had half a class that went there a few times a week to ensure she got paid and nothing else.
    I had a few alcoholic teachers that came to school for a rest. One fella who was a famous spoofer with a brother who was a doctor in my local area that spent every class talking about how great he was and never once looked at a book. Probably on tablets or drugs looking back now.
    For every hard working teacher there was at least one waster getting the same pay and probably holding children back by making sure other people didnt go above and beyond until they got extra pay for it.

For me as a hard working guy I'd be fuming looking at them every morning in the canteen. Talk about toxic work environment.

Would anybody know of a way we could get the good workers more pay and the bad workers a bit less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Yeah maybe college professors but should somebody teaching geography and music in st random in north dublin get as much money as the teacher busting a gut in jobstown putting a high percentage of his kids into decent college courses. I think a system exists that breeds toxicity towards anybody that is seen as a try hard. I was allowed do music for my junior cert. I couldn't play an instrument, I couldn't afford one I was never going to have a career in it but they needed to fill up places and had a music class, nobody even asked me why I was studying it, they were just happy a science class or tech drawing had less applicants, I learned that a song exists called ripples in the rock pool and got a high score in the junior cert. I picked music because it was an easy honour. Nobody gives a fiddlers.
    Teacher I had, gave a bit of time to the few people with guitars or whatever but we had half a class that went there a few times a week to ensure she got paid and nothing else.
    I had a few alcoholic teachers that came to school for a rest. One fella who was a famous spoofed with a brother who was a doctor in my local area that spent every class talking about how great he was and never once looked at a book. Probably on tablets or drugs looking back now.
    For every hard working teacher there was at least one waster getting the same pay and probably holding children back by making sure other people didnt go above and beyond until they got extra pay for it.

For me as a hard working guy I'd be fuming looking at them every morning in the canteen. Talk about toxic work environment.

Would anybody know of a way we could get the good workers more pay and the bad workers a bit less.

There isnt one, not in teaching at least. Such a scheme would require intense, individual monitoring of every teacher which would be A. Unaffordable and B. Enough to drive competent practitioners out of the job because effective teaching must always be afforded a substantial degree of space, to experiment with different styles, allow for class discussions..etc.

Bottom line is every profession has those that stand out and those that coast. A handful will prove to be especially ineffective, for any number of reasons, but they are decreasing in teaching. Getting through 2 years of the Dip, or whatever its called now, is hard enough, but if you do manage to qualify and get into a school, the real challenges become clear. Parents simply wont stand for truly obvious examples of hopelessness, complaints will be made and even the most brass-necked of individuals will usually realise that they have to up their game or quit. And they usually do one or the other.

If they dont, this is what happens.
    Recently qualified examples will bounce from school to school for years but never get a CID because a diligent principal will recognise that they arent cut out for teaching and that making them permanent will make their own lives harder. There are, of course, some instances where school politics and poor leadership will mean a good teacher will slip through the net, but such outcomes are rare. Truth be told, if youve been working consistently in a school or schools, and are able to show your worth, you will be made CID within a maximum of 6 or 8 years (at most). A disgracefully long wait for a competent teacher, it must be said. Enough time for a substandard one to get the message.

Permanent examples, if parent harrassment or substandard feedback from inspections arent enough, may have changes made to their timetables to try and drop the hint that things arent working out. The opinions of colleagues, as in any job, will also matter, and all but the most deluded professional will quickly realise if they no longer have the respect of their department or principal.

Of course, there are those that are deluded. As there are in every profession. It is probably one of the main challenges of every principal (assuming they themselves are competent, which isnt always the case), to either motivate and support somebody who's really struggling, or just do his/her best for the students in such a teacher's care in spite of them. That could mean allocating 'less important' subjects or initiating team teaching so that there's somebody else in the class wherever possible etc. It shouldnt come to that, but in the real world, it does and you just have to get on with it.

Removing a teacher from the register or 'firing' them does seem difficult. Looking at the minority of cases where its happened, serious breaches in conduct seem to be the main issues (drinking with, or sellotaping the mouths of, students being 2 of the more familiar examples). That might seem frustrating to the general public (and teachers too perhaps), but the truth is, it is in keeping with how most professions operate. Google cases of how employees' jobs are terminated: if youre a nurse or a doctor, youd want to have killed somebody, or at least maimed them. A lawyer would need to have robbed a client. Anybody else has probably assaulted their boss.
    The fact is, civil rights trump all. It is extremely difficult to fire anybody these days, whether you are public or private sector. I know of a case where a solicitor was stealing from their own firm. They had to pay the person off to get rid of them!
    With teaching, any kind of grading system designed to distinguish good from bad, is doomed to fail, for all the reasons listed in above posts. Even in a class where 99pc of students respect a teacher, there will always be a naysayer because the teacher is too strict or was unfair one time or does drama too often..etc. Rather than try to isolate and punish examples of poor teachers, wed be far better off supporting such perceived cases with intervention and top quality CPD. But when we are working with an education system that has been possibly the most underfunded in western Europe for about 40 years now (which is only now dawning on the general public), we wont be holding our breath for that kind of logic.

Most unfunded education system in Europe or the one that spends the most on pensions and wages on people who should be fired and has nothing left for crayons and blackboards.

I had a vice principal who used to go for pints at lunch and come back and send kids home for random reasons. One fella from a bad upbringing used to get sent home once a week for not having his hair combed, wrong shoes, smelling of smoke, any random reason. Ended up hanging himself in a local field a few years later. Probably could have intervened or helped him but instead that fella vice principal up to retirement.
    Another teacher who drank with him every day worked very hard even though he was half cut and was a huge influence on my life probably drank because the other fella was earning more than him all them years even though he did all the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

This would never work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Most unfunded education system in Europe or the one that spends the most on pensions and wages on people who should be fired and has nothing left for crayons and blackboards.

I had a vice principal who used to go for pints at lunch and come back and send kids home for random reasons. One fella from a bad upbringing used to get sent home once a week for not having his hair combed, wrong shoes, smelling of smoke, any random reason. Ended up hanging himself in a local field a few years later. Probably could have intervened or helped him but instead that fella vice principal up to retirement.
    Another teacher who drank with him every day worked very hard even though he was half cut and was a huge influence on my life probably drank because the other fella was earning more than him all them years even though he did all the work.

Unfortunately you cannot apply your bad experiences to teaching in 2020 and make coherent points. If it's any consolation to you, a teacher nowawdays who continuously comes to work drunk will be removed from the teaching register. Of that, there can be no doubt.

Unfortunately you cannot apply your bad experiences to teaching in 2020 and make coherent points. If it's any consolation to you, a teacher nowawdays who continuously comes to work drunk will be removed from the teaching register. Of that, there can be no doubt.

This was only 25 years ago some of these teachers were still working up to very recently.

• Advertisement

You would like to introduce a system based on your personal experience only. You're also projecting reasons for drinking without any evidence whatsoever. You also seem to believe that this is what schools are like now. They are vastly different from the picture you paint.

Really, your whole post can be summed up by 'teachers are overpaid and should be fired'.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭F5500

Performance based pay scale would need to run off very definite parameters that just don't exist.

You would like to introduce a system based on your personal experience only. You're also projecting reasons for drinking without any evidence whatsoever. You also seem to believe that this is what schools are like now. They are vastly different from the picture you paint.

Really, your whole post can be summed up by 'teachers are overpaid and should be fired'.

I believe in a system that rewards hard workers. I believe in a system that punishes terrible workers. I believe most industries have ways to deal with this but teaching doesnt. I have two children in primary school a year apart. One teacher was online every day working hard the other one sent a chapter of a book to do twice over the lockdown. Surely one should be well paid and the other should be walking around with the shovel of sand to throw over the sick kids vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭amacca

more conversation by management with individual teachers around areas of improvement.

I'd very much be of the opinion that should cut both ways.

Absolutely agreed. If staff are unhappy with management it decreases motivation. It can have a disastrous effect on the motivation of staff and really impacts the stuff that needs an extra push like reforms and extra curricular.

Proportionally, if I was to be honest, there is more bad managers than bad teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I believe in a system that rewards hard workers. I believe in a system that punishes terrible workers. I believe most industries have ways to deal with this but teaching doesnt. I have two children in primary school a year apart. One teacher was online every day working hard the other one sent a chapter of a book to do twice over the lockdown. Surely one should be well paid and the other should be walking around with the shovel of sand to throw over the sick kids vomit.

You do realise a hard working teacher does not necessarily mean successful learning for a student?

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    You do realise a hard working teacher does not necessarily mean successful learning for a student?

Well it does and it doesnt, they need to be hard working in their motivation and planning and bot just running around in circles really really hard and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Treppen

In this world and systems Robin Wiliams oh captain my captain gets the same pay and conditions as Ferris Buellers teacher.
    What's the story here?

I think you've forgotten how Dead Poets' Society ended :pac:

You have a serious chip on your shoulder. The great thing about schools is that when you go in and choose your subjects in first year, it is a free choice, you're not forced to pick a subject because of your background. You chose music by your own admission. The music course is designed (like all junior cert subjects) to be accessible to those who have never studied it before. You don't have to play a musical instrument to choose music for junior cert, nor do you have to play a musical instrument for the junior cert exam. Singing is allowed.

By your logic, those who have never cooked before should not study home economics, or those who have no experience working with a variety of tools should not study woodwork or metalwork for junior cert.

You also don't have to study a subject so you can have a career in it. Sometimes you study a subject and you develop a huge interest in that area and continue in your studies at LC, college etc, and sometimes you decide that after JC you have enough of that and want to concentrate on something else. That is the beauty of choice.

I have yet to forge a career around my knowledge of ox-bow lakes, but I don't feel hard done by because I studied Geography for Junior Cert.

• Advertisement

You have a serious chip on your shoulder. The great thing about schools is that when you go in and choose your subjects in first year, it is a free choice, you're not forced to pick a subject because of your background. You chose music by your own admission. The music course is designed (like all junior cert subjects) to be accessible to those who have never studied it before. You don't have to play a musical instrument to choose music for junior cert, nor do you have to play a musical instrument for the junior cert exam. Singing is allowed.

By your logic, those who have never cooked before should not study home economics, or those who have no experience working with a variety of tools should not study woodwork or metalwork for junior cert.

You also don't have to study a subject so you can have a career in it. Sometimes you study a subject and you develop a huge interest in that area and continue in your studies at LC, college etc, and sometimes you decide that after JC you have enough of that and want to concentrate on something else. That is the beauty of choice.

I have yet to forge a career around my knowledge of ox-bow lakes, but I don't feel hard done by because I studied Geography for Junior Cert.

But we could have all studied computer programming if we didnt have to pay norma the geography teacher a years wage. Imagine telling the union that Norma needs to up skill because the kids can find out what a meander is on the internet If they are that bothered. Norma needs to learn javascript. Surely if teachers are worthy of of a grand or so a week they should be able to change over subjects when times change. Computer language and maths basics should be a core subject from first year instead of irish.
    The whole culture needs a shake up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement