Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

GM228 wrote: »
    I'm pretty certain that Anne Graham has been quoted as saying the overall contract with GA saved money for the state compared to DB.

I know there was some talk in the press that DB were cheaper but GA still won because of the cost grounds - I can't remember seeing any statement from the NTA confirming it either way however.
    Was there not something however about the BE Waterford contract being dearer than other bidders, but offering a better service overall - perhaps that is causing confusion.

See here
    Speaking on RTE's Drivetime, Ms Graham said Bus Éireann was not the cheapest operator to tender for the routes, but she said it scored highest in the overall assessment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

bk wrote: »
    If that was true, then the 65/35 would indicate that they were close on cost, with DB just marginally ahead, but GA was quiet a bit out front on service delivery.

I don't get this "service delivery" nonsense if DB were given the right amount of funding by the NTA to run extra buses and recruit extra staff they would have excellent service delivery. It's becoming apparent that the NTA and the government are just trying to run CIE companies into the ground so it's one less responsibility off their shoulders and also fullfills Leo's race to the bottom agenda.

DB have been underfunded for years and now the government want to invest money in bus services which don't get me is a step in right direction but they want to give money to a private company because they strike me as having an anti working class agenda. They don't want a DB worker taking home a decent wage. I personally fail to see what GA can do that DB (with proper funding) can't do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

devnull wrote: »
    I know there was some talk in the press that DB were cheaper but GA still won because of the cost grounds - I can't remember seeing any statement from the NTA confirming it either way however.

See here
    Speaking on RTE's Drivetime, Ms Graham said Bus Éireann was not the cheapest operator to tender for the routes, but she said it scored highest in the overall assessment.

From that link:-
    NTA Chief Executive Anne Graham said that Bus Éireann had outperformed four private sector bidders, in a competition where 650 points were allocated for price factors, and 350 points for technical and quality criteria.

And from IE 222:-
    IE 222 wrote: »
    Cant rember the exact figures but i think 65% of the scoring is on value while 35% is on service delivery which also baffles me as to how DB lost the tender.

The 65/35 figure suggested for GA is the exact same figure as the BE Waterford contract, I think this is causing confusion, as I said I'm pretty certain I read somewhere Anne Graham confirmed the GA bid saved the state over the DB bid (I think by as much as 30% was mentioned), I can't remember where I read this, it may have been in the Oireachtas Transport Committee?

Stephen15 wrote: »
    It's becoming apparent that the NTA and the government are just trying to run CIE companies into the ground so it's one less responsibility off their shoulders and also fullfills Leo's race to the bottom agenda.

I really don't see how it is apparent?

DB have been underfunded for years and now the government want to invest money in bus services which don't get me is a step in right direction but they want to give money to a private company because they strike me as having an anti working class agenda. They don't want a DB worker taking home a decent wage. I personally fail to see what GA can do that DB (with proper funding) can't do.

GA can offer a better service with better economical benefit according to scoring, is that such a bad thing especially for the tax payer and the user?

Also the awarding of contracts is based on a scoring system devised by Europe, not political agendas.

And this "they don't want a DB worker taking home a decent wage" makes no sense to me, what has that got to do with the contract award? It's also very probable that the rate of pay in DB had a negative effect on the contract award as pay forms part of the operating costs.

GA can offer a better service with better economical benefit according to scoring, is that such a bad thing especially for the tax payer and the user?

Also the awarding of contracts is based on a scoring system devised by Europe, not political agendas.

The reason why DB have a lower scoring than GA is because the government are not giving DB enough subsidy. GA are a transport operator with operations all over the world both by both government contracts and commercial operations.

Of course they are going to have a better score than DB because they are operating in a competitive environmenthence the need for efficency or they are given adequate subsidy by governments. If DB were given adequate subsidy they would provide just as efficient a service.

• Advertisement

The reason why DB have a lower scoring than GA is because the government are not giving DB enough subsidy. GA are a transport operator with operations all over the world both by both government contracts and commercial operations.

That's nonsense, DB subsidy and other operations of GA has absolutely nothing to do with the scoring system and how it's calculated, subsidy covers the cost of operation of a PSO service and always has.

DB would have pitched based on how much it would cost them to operate the service, weather they are under or over funder or not funded at all makes no difference to the operational price of a service, it costs what it costs, subsidy levels do not magically make operational costs any more or less.

Of course they are going to have a better score than DB because they are operating in a competitive environmenthence the need for efficency or they are given adequate subsidy by governments. If DB were given adequate subsidy they would provide just as efficient a service.

Define an adequate subsidy considering that the PSO service is well paid for (PSO does not operate at a loss) and for many years DB as a whole has made a profit.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

IE 222, Stephen15, GA are a top quality and highly respected operator in London and other major bus markets. I honestly believe DB have a lot to learn from them and I hope they do improve and do better in future tenders.

DB simply sticking their heads in the sand and thinking they are great and have no problems and/or blaming any issues on the NTA/government/etc. would be a very destructive path to go down IMO.

I've often said that I honestly believe that the government is quiet willing to spend big on public transport and expand it. But only if they see true and meaningful, tangible, improvements in services.

I genuinely hope DB can rise to the challenge and get a big slice of this expansion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

A top quality and highly respected operator indeed!

Their Southern Rail devision was voted the worst operator in the UK by the travelling public.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

magentis wrote: »

Their Southern Rail devision was voted the worst operator in the UK by the travelling public.

What has their "rail division" got to do with buses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Bray Head

Dublin Bus was voted Ireland's tenth worst company - this is not impressive for a brand that doesn't operate in most of the country!

• Advertisement

It has a lot to do with "busses" when both are driven by the same ethos of shareholder profit first.

Where are they known as a respected operator?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Bray Head wrote: »
    Dublin Bus was voted Ireland's tenth worst company - this is not impressive for a brand that doesn't operate in most of the country!

Got anything more recent than 2015?

I can see how relevant an article such as this is,rating Dublin bus alongside Irish water.

I always wanted to see how Dublin bus compared to bookies,banks and fast food companies,much appreciated.

It has a lot to do with "busses" when both are driven by the same ethos of shareholder profit first.

London Bus, Singapore, etc.

The issues on the rail side are widespread issues with privatisation of rail in the UK and then the idiotic way that the UK government handled it. No one here would want privatisation in the same manner here.

Problems at Southern started long before GA had any potential hand in the franchise, also the Southern franchise is actually a Govia operated franchise, Govia is a separate company to GA (but it is jointly owned by GA and Keolis). Govia has it's own separate management structure and is essentialy a totally different entity to GA.

London Bus, Singapore, etc.

The issues on the rail side are widespread issues with privatisation of rail in the UK and then the idiotic way that the UK government handled it. No one here would want privatisation in the same manner here.

And that's because TFL are giving them the correct amount of funding to operate the service. Not because GA are a great operator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭Tow

So the fun begins. Dublin originally had multiple bus operators all in competition with each other. They would race each other to the bus stops to be the first to pick up passengers. There were numerous accidents from this behavior and this was one of the main driving forces in setting up a single company to run Dublin's bus service. Source, the Granny!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

No they were not voted "Irelands tenth worst company", they scored 91 out of a selected 100 companies, that does not equate to Irelands worst, there are 1000s of companies in Ireland.

The following year (2016) they scored 69 out of 100, a huge improvement in the space of one year.

(The 2017 study is not available yet to download.)

Tow wrote: »
    So the fun begins. Dublin originally had multiple bus operators all in competition with each other. They would race each other to the bus stops to be the first to pick up passengers. There were numerous accidents from this behavior and this was one of the main driving forces in setting up a single company to run Dublin's bus service. Source, the Granny!

That was prior to 1932, after that there were only two primary operators of buses in Dublin who operated different routes, in 1945 they amalgamated to form the original private CIE company.

The problems up to 1932 were as a result of no regulation of bus transport.

And that's because TFL are giving them the correct amount of funding to operate the service. Not because GA are a great operator.

So rail does not get the correct amount of funding, just like Dublin Bus as you suggested?

• Advertisement

Only 6 days ago GA were once again announced as the best bus operator in all of England in the annual independent Transport Focus Bus Passenger Survey.

https://www.transportfocus.org.uk/research-publications/publications/bus-passenger-survey/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

IE 222, Stephen15, GA are a top quality and highly respected operator in London and other major bus markets. I honestly believe DB have a lot to learn from them and I hope they do improve and do better in future tenders.

DB simply sticking their heads in the sand and thinking they are great and have no problems and/or blaming any issues on the NTA/government/etc. would be a very destructive path to go down IMO.

I've often said that I honestly believe that the government is quiet willing to spend big on public transport and expand it. But only if they see true and meaningful, tangible, improvements in services.

I genuinely hope DB can rise to the challenge and get a big slice of this expansion.

But if the NTA are calling the shots and setting out the standards what more can GA offer over DB. We the tax payer are going to be paying more for this introduction of GA by a public body. It should be crystal clear as to why this choice has been made with all the facts and figures on the table along with all the improvements GA are going to bring in and to what extra cost.

I dont see what magical improvements or services GA are going to introduce.

Tow wrote: »

Completely different, no one wants that!

What is coming to Dublin is a well regulated service, where different companies operate different routes, no direct competition between each other.

This model is very successfully used all over Europe. Most Irish people would best experience it with London Bus, which is actually operated by about a dozen different private companies, who operate different routes, but to the customer, they have no idea of this, they just see the usual big red bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭Tow

That was prior to 1932

'The Granny' would have been in her 20's then

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

But if the NTA are calling the shots and setting out the standards what more can GA offer over DB. We the tax payer are going to be paying more for this introduction of GA by a public body. It should be crystal clear as to why this choice has been made with all the facts and figures on the table along with all the improvements GA are going to bring in and to what extra cost.

I dont see what magical improvements or services GA are going to introduce.

I suspect what will be expected is that GA will actually follow the direction of the NTA and not fight them and ignore them on every change they want to implement.

A good example of this would be the NTA buying dual door buses and then DB drivers continuing to refuse to use them. You can bet that GA will be using the doors at every stop, just like they do in London.

Another example would be the sudden talk of 24/7 routes. We have been talking about those for years, but nothing happened. Suddenly just a few months after the GA announcement, it seems it might actually happen now.

I suspect, but have no proof, that DB management suddenly realised that if they don't get the 24/7 routes up and running, that next year once GA are up and running, the NTA could simply put night routes out for open tender and GA could possibly get them.

Basically it is a wake up call for DB management, that they are no longer the only game in town and if they don't do what the NTA want, the NTA can turn to GA and others.

In fairness in the last few months I've seen a marked improvement in DB service with things like more use of the rear doors and finally maybe getting 24/7. But I honestly believe these improvements are coming about because DB no longer have a monopoly and realise they need to improve or end up losing more routes.

This attitude change will be vital over the next few months when the Bus Connects changes start coming through, those will entail very significant changes and the NTA need DB working closely with them on implementing those changes and not fighting them and going out on strike, etc.

Personally I've never really cared too much if a company is public or private, I don't believe it makes a great deal of difference. What does make a difference IME is if a company has a monopoly or not. A company with a monopoly, whether public or private, tends to get lazy and complacent and slow to implement required changes in services, etc.

I hope that the injection of some competition in the Dublin City bus market will lead to the same fantastic improvements that we have largely seen on the intercity coach market.

I genuinely hope that DB can rise to the challenge, change with the times and thrive as our city grows. If it has the right attitude I think it has a very rosy future and can actually expand with the city.

I suspect what will be expected is that GA will actually follow the direction of the NTA and not fight them and ignore them on every change they want to implement.

A good example of this would be the NTA buying dual door buses and then DB drivers continuing to refuse to use them. You can bet that GA will be using the doors at every stop, just like they do in London.

Another example would be the sudden talk of 24/7 routes. We have been talking about those for years, but nothing happened. Suddenly just a few months after the GA announcement, it seems it might actually happen now.

I suspect, but have no proof, that DB management suddenly realised that if they don't get the 24/7 routes up and running, that next year once GA are up and running, the NTA could simply put night routes out for open tender and GA could possibly get them.

Basically it is a wake up call for DB management, that they are no longer the only game in town and if they don't do what the NTA want, the NTA can turn to GA and others.

In fairness in the last few months I've seen a marked improvement in DB service with things like more use of the rear doors and finally maybe getting 24/7. But I honestly believe these improvements are coming about because DB no longer have a monopoly and realise they need to improve or end up losing more routes.

This attitude change will be vital over the next few months when the Bus Connects changes start coming through, those will entail very significant changes and the NTA need DB working closely with them on implementing those changes and not fighting them and going out on strike, etc.

Personally I've never really cared too much if a company is public or private, I don't believe it makes a great deal of difference. What does make a difference IME is if a company has a monopoly or not. A company with a monopoly, whether public or private, tends to get lazy and complacent and slow to implement required changes in services, etc.

I hope that the injection of some competition in the Dublin City bus market will lead to the same fantastic improvements that we have largely seen on the intercity coach market.

I genuinely hope that DB can rise to the challenge, change with the times and thrive as our city grows. If it has the right attitude I think it has a very rosy future and can actually expand with the city.

What has DB been refusing to do???

Its up to the NTA to introduce night buses not Dublin Bus. If the NTA wanted them introduced earlier they would of brought it in earlier. DB did run nitelinks before the NTA existed so I dont buy the excuse that DB are solely the reason this hasn't happened yet. As you say they follow their instruction.

There seems to be conflicting information and instructions regarding the use of rare doors as to who is responsible for their safe operation and the consequences involved if something comes about when operating them. If this is the case GA drivers will be just as reluctant to use them. So maybe some clarity regarding rare doors is needed. There is no need to be using rare doors at EVERY stop. I cant see a sudden increase in using rare doors making too much of difference.

Breaking up the monopoly has probably created more trouble in BE and for the general public in the long run.

Bus Connects is an NTA project any issues regarding that have nothing to with bus companies even though DB would have far more experience on implementing such projects it will be the pen pushers who have no idea about transport making the calls here. GA won't be anymore immune from strike action than DB.

DB are not fighting the NTA on every they try to implement without good reason.

Most DB drivers now use the middle doors at most stops now. DB drivers do not have a problem using the middle doors where it is safe to do so and they are not likely to get sued or sacked when a passenger trips. I can't see GA drivers being any different unless the NTA make all stops safe for middle door usage.

DB never objected to it as long as they are given proper funding to operate the services.

If the NTA sets the timetable and provides the funding DB will operate the service.

No it's the NTA now that are the only game in town. The NTA are more or less the new CIE but instead of operating the services directly they tender out to CIE companies and private companies.

DB won't be objecting they support the idea and will be co-operation with the NTA and Jarrett Walker. Unions may object but only within reason such as drivers looking marked in status which is fair enough.

If the funding is given DB will deliver. If you think that about DB you could say the same about other government agencies including the NTA.

Not comparing like with like there since most intercity bus routes are not PSO.

Problems at Southern started long before GA had any potential hand in the franchise, also the Southern franchise is actually a Govia operated franchise, Govia is a separate company to GA (but it is jointly owned by GA and Keolis). Govia has it's own separate management structure and is essentialy a totally different entity to GA.

Southern is also a management contract rather than an actual franchise - it's been speculated in the media that this was done so the government could push through Driver Only Trains easier, the long running dispute for which has really been a key factor behind that franchises issues.

In any case, the UK railway system isn't really privatized in a total sense, because everything is micromanaged by the Department of Transport and previously the Strategic Rail Authority. The operators have far less control than many people seem to realise.

A lot of the problems in the UK Rail Industry are caused by government policy, dithering behind the scenes which your average passenger doesn't see and straight away blames the TOC. It's why you've had charades in the past where a TOC has wanted to order additional rolling stock, but then has been blocked from doing so and the government will then blame the operator when there is overcrowding.

Essentially the UK Government know if someone is blaming the operator for these things, they're not blaming the people in the Department of Transport who are the ones making the decisions in the background. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,141 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

if all of the bus stops were sorted out then the drivers would use the second doors. in fact, they are using them where it is safe to do so given i believe it is in their current contract. i would not be surprised if go ahead decide that they will also not use the second door at stops where it is not safe to do so. they are not going to put their staff, and in turn themselves at risk of being sued.
    dublin bus to my knowledge have never refused to operate 24-7 services, the DOT and then the NTA for whatever reason did not implament them, they could have and there was nothing stopping them. dublin bus operated night links long before the NTA were even an idea. i suspect, and it's my opinion only, that 24-7 operation on some routes was announced after GA got the contract to try and make it look as if GA were bringing the improvements and to make dublin bus look bad. i will stress that is my opinion only.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,141 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Essentially the UK Government know if someone is blaming the operator for these things, they're not blaming the people in the Department of Transport who are the ones making the decisions in the background. .

people are actually waking up to this now devnull. i have saw a lot of comments across other online media where the government get the blame for the problems, whereas it used to be mostly the operator.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Just to note, GA sent a mass mail inviting those who expressed interest in working as drivers to complete application forms. their site also updated.

We are offering,

A salary of up to €32,000 per annum with opportunities for further earnings with overtime
    A contributory pension scheme
    Free modern uniform
    Travel benefits
    Paid holiday
    Industry leading training and ongoing development
    Structured working patterns with guaranteed hours
    Death in service benefit
    Opportunities to work elsewhere within the Go-Ahead Group

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

liger wrote: »
    Just to note, GA sent a mass mail inviting those who expressed interest in working as drivers to complete application forms. their site also updated.

We are offering,

A salary of up to €32,000 per annum with opportunities for further earnings with overtime
    A contributory pension scheme
    Free modern uniform
    Travel benefits
    Paid holiday
    Industry leading training and ongoing development
    Structured working patterns with guaranteed hours
    Death in service benefit
    Opportunities to work elsewhere within the Go-Ahead Group

I am interested, would be a drop in pay of around 8k. Would I be mad?

Considering also, it's only 'up to 32k' I don't really get this? Anyone explain.

Thanks.

TallGlass wrote: »
    Considering also, it's only 'up to 32k' I don't really get this? Anyone explain.

You start on something lower and work your way up to 32k.

You start on something lower and work your way up to 32k.

And obviously any headline figure won't include any premiums and overtime should they apply.

I am interested, would be a drop in pay of around 8k. Would I be mad?

Thanks.

If it's something you would love to do or if what your currently doing is something you absolutely hate and you'd prefer to work for as driver for GA then go for it, if not then don't bother.

I assume it means they will pay more to people with experience of driving a bus/coach but that's just an educated guess so don't mark my word.

They could be a little more clear about the requirements and any restrictions etc. I would consider it myself hopefully they or DB will be hiring in a few years time when I've passed my driving test in a car first.

Also consider Bus Eireann or Aircoach both hiring atm afaik.

• Advertisement

Interesting, so could really start on anything I am thinking starting on 24K or so which to me is really low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Judging by all the loudmouth armchair professors during the Dublin Bus strike who stated that they would do the job for half the money, GoAhead should have no problem filling those posts.

Interesting, so could really start on anything I am thinking starting on 24K or so which to me is really low.

Who knows what their entry rate is.

I assume that up to may well be there to cover those who apply without a license that they will train up themselves who will probably be on less.

I assume that up to may well be there to cover those who apply without a license that they will train up themselves who will probably be on less.

If GA are to train in house they will need to employ registered instructors like DB, I have not seen such positions advertised.

That would be myself, have the learner permit for the D. I'm just interested in if it's a good job/company to work for. The routes themselves look fine, can't imagine much traffic/no cross city driving from the looks of things, seems depot is out Ballymount.

• Advertisement

If GA are to train in house they will need to employ registered instructors like DB, I have not seen such positions advertised.

I have, they where looking for instructors before drivers if I remember correctly.

That would be myself, have the learner permit for the D. I'm just interested in if it's a good job/company to work for. The routes themselves look fine, can't imagine much traffic/no cross city driving from the looks of things, seems depot is out Ballymount.

As the "job" has not started yet and GA Dublin is essentially a new company nobody knows yet, however the GA group of companies are generally considered good to work for AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Dave_Dublin

liger wrote: »
    Just to note, GA sent a mass mail inviting those who expressed interest in working as drivers to complete application forms.

I received that mass email . . .

There was no application form in it at first so they sent it again a few mins later WITH the form, however, the form cannot be filled in properly.

They ask for the PDF form to be filled in and submitted electronically but whoever prepared the form clearly just copied+pasted every time they wanted to add a new field to be filled in . . .

This has the effect of meaning that whatever you enter into the first line auto-copies to EVERY other line that was copied+pasted when the from was being prepared.

My address, for example, filled in as 123 Street Name, 123 Street Name, 123 Street Name, 123 Street Name. and so on throughout the form . . .

When you delete one of the copies, ALL of the fields delete including the one you don't want to delete. --- Very frustrating.

The form will have to be printed and posted to them unless they send the PDF one again - FIXED

I have, they where looking for instructors before drivers if I remember correctly.

Their first officially advertised career opportunity was for drivers and since they have looked for engineering and office staff, no vacancies for instructors have come up yet.

By themselves I didn't necessarily mean directly - just the fact that they are taking on applicants who do not have qualifications and funding the training of them, be that internally or externally and they may pay staff less at the start because of the fact they are bearing the training costs.

people are actually waking up to this now devnull. i have saw a lot of comments across other online media where the government get the blame for the problems, whereas it used to be mostly the operator.

Still not enough though if you ask me.

Rolling stock procurement is a complete mess when it's directly government managed. They've had two big projects, Thameslink and the Intercity Express Program and spectacularly messed both up. Took 5-6 years between starting procurement and signing the contract for each of them and when the trains were ordered in 2013 they were still based on a spec written in 2008.

Trains arrive in 2015 built to a spec written 7 years earlier and lack Wifi and plug sockets and have a questionable seating layout. The trains got widely panned in the press for these issues and the government went into hiding and allowed Thameslink to take the flack for a rolling stock procurement program which they or their predecessors had no say in.

Then you have the ridiculous shenanigans on the TPE franchise where First wanted to order 56x3 car trains with option for another 56 cars and had the order cut to 51x 3 car on the basis that there was no demand and then when overcrowding was on the horizon they lobbied the government for permission for extra cars, but were again turned down. A short while later the government are hitting out at the same operator for unacceptable levels of overcrowding,

Don't get me wrong - there are examples of poor operators like Connex and National Express East Coast which have brought on problems themselves, but there are a fair few operators who have simply had to do what they are told and have had to take the flack publicly for government decisions as most people just see the TOC and not what is driving their actions.

€8-15k is a serious drop in wages especially given the cost of living in Dublin these days and the strict terms the banks put on mortgage applications these days . You will be doing shift work as well so expect a lot of early morning, late night, weekend and holiday period work.

Personally id hold of for now as I believe GA will struggle to employ the required number of drivers and will be forced to up their offering. I cant see many drivers walking away from other companies for less money unless DB and BE offer big tasty redundancies soon.

Its not offen when a company needs you more than you need them so if there is a pool of potential drivers looking on I wouldn't jump straight in.

Its your decision at the end of the day but think of your future and 10 years down the road.

€8-15k is a serious drop in wages especially given the cost of living in Dublin these days and the strict terms the banks put on mortgage applications these days . You will be doing shift work as well so expect a lot of early morning, late night, weekend and holiday period work.

Are you saying that there are DB drivers on €40k to €47k basic in DB before any allowances are taken into account?

Remember advertised figures will always be just the core pay because things like overtime or premium are not guaranteed and will differ from staff member to staff member so it is best practice not to include these in publicly stated figures

Is there age restrictions in place as a lot of commercial insurance wont cover drivers under the age of 25.

Is there age restrictions in place as a lot of commercial insurance wont cover drivers under the age of 25.

I haven't seen anything advertised - but I know quite a few privates limit the age in the same way listing it's because of insurance purposes (but not all openly state it on their recruitment advertisements) so depending on who they are insuring with then it may be at play as well here.

Obviously it's not an issue for CIE group companies as they are self-insured, however honestly I've never seen anyone very young working for Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann myself.

I'd imagine they'd get a fair few people from Dublin Coach - a lot of them jumped ship to Aircoach in the last 6 months or so I have read elsewhere and Dublin Coach always seem to be recruiting and apparently the pay there is nothing special and Aircoach seem to be the current highest payers in the private sector.

The lower paying privates in the Dublin Area will be the ones to lose the most staff I'd say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement