Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grain price.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

You're at it again. On another thread you've said the same yet when asked to cite 3 examples you disappeared. Putting it down to bad phone coverage I then asked for 2 again nothing. As you're back posting, could give one?

Good man Frazzle!!
    Glad to see you're back.
    Bob with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Bob is now farming in North Korea, less paperwork or hassle from the CoCo there he reckoned.

Are you governed by availability of moisture in your rotations etc?
    Opposite here, loose your window ground just sits wet til spring.

Yep governed by availability of moisture.
    Can't grow any spring cereals including sosr.
    Maize gives the best return on irrigation and when it hits 35+ it really motors whereas cereals would just turn to straw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭GRASSorMUCK

You're at it again. On another thread you've said the same yet when asked to cite 3 examples you disappeared. Putting it down to bad phone coverage I then asked for 2 again nothing. As you're back posting, could give one?

Ok it's abit like a team in hurling before a game hoping the other teams star player gets injured or some guy goes out to give a dirty stroke... If you can't beat them fair and square at least give a good showing of your self.

1- In the highest level of Agri education in Ucd there is a course set-up soley dedicated to train future farmers/managers of dairy farms with practical examples given on farm of cow health practices and students are shipped off to Nz to gain experience of were they should aim to take a grass based system down the line.... The crops course is poor imho, i wouldn't let any grad, come to advise my crops unless i knew they had a VERY good footing from their home farms. I remember root and alternative crops iirc elective was all i ever learned of eg beans/osr etc and that was a few slides in 3 lectures each.. Would you honestly say you could grow a crop with that little training?!
    2. At lyons estate the farm is being expanded on the dairy side at the compromise of all other industries, considering the rate change in levels of technology involved in all industries for eg. from what i'm most familiar with in cereals is using soil maps(involves taking up to 20 soil samples ha!) and yeild maps from combines(1.5% off last year what combine said harvested to what entered the stores) to use this data to set-up variable rate fertilisers and seeding. I know this takes investement but if you don't train the agronomists of tomorow how to use this data we fall further behind the competition... Eg. our agronomo can email over field reqs, i can use computer to transfer that to memory card for sprayers computer to map out basic rates and areas that need elevated rates so i can set the parameters of the max/lowest dose using an old vari-rate N sensor to map thickness of the crop on the day, using gps to tell sprayer exactly were it is so it can used saved data on the card to say, oh this headland was thick must put out an extra .2 of a rate or this headland was thinner i can cut back here with out operator interference/needing to do anything.
    3-How many articles have there been in the journal, ever, to discuss benefits of using oats/rye vs osr as a break crop in cereals. Encouraging farmers to grow beans before milling wheats to have elevated levels of natural N there so as to not need worry of Nitrates, no offence to the editors, but, why publish the bloody available chemistry when the season is almost over!
    Every week you have Jack the Ripper and others, how ever much attention people give, to comparing systems, the great Jex vs Norwegian red type cow vs Hf debate

Ok it's abit like a team in hurling before a game hoping the other teams star player gets injured or some guy goes out to give a dirty stroke... If you can't beat them fair and square at least give a good showing of your self.

1- In the highest level of Agri education in Ucd there is a course set-up soley dedicated to train future farmers/managers of dairy farms with practical examples given on farm of cow health practices and students are shipped off to Nz to gain experience of were they should aim to take a grass based system down the line.... The crops course is poor imho, i wouldn't let any grad, come to advise my crops unless i knew they had a VERY good footing from their home farms. I remember root and alternative crops iirc elective was all i ever learned of eg beans/osr etc and that was a few slides in 3 lectures each.. Would you honestly say you could grow a crop with that little training?!
    2. At lyons estate the farm is being expanded on the dairy side at the compromise of all other industries, considering the rate change in levels of technology involved in all industries for eg. from what i'm most familiar with in cereals is using soil maps(involves taking up to 20 soil samples ha!) and yeild maps from combines(1.5% off last year what combine said harvested to what entered the stores) to use this data to set-up variable rate fertilisers and seeding. I know this takes investement but if you don't train the agronomists of tomorow how to use this data we fall further behind the competition... Eg. our agronomo can email over field reqs, i can use computer to transfer that to memory card for sprayers computer to map out basic rates and areas that need elevated rates so i can set the parameters of the max/lowest dose using an old vari-rate N sensor to map thickness of the crop on the day, using gps to tell sprayer exactly were it is so it can used saved data on the card to say, oh this headland was thick must put out an extra .2 of a rate or this headland was thinner i can cut back here with out operator interference/needing to do anything.
    3-How many articles have there been in the journal, ever, to discuss benefits of using oats/rye vs osr as a break crop in cereals. Encouraging farmers to grow beans before milling wheats to have elevated levels of natural N there so as to not need worry of Nitrates, no offence to the editors, but, why publish the bloody available chemistry when the season is almost over!
    Every week you have Jack the Ripper and others, how ever much attention people give, to comparing systems, the great Jex vs Norwegian red type cow vs Hf debate

Must meet up for a pint sometime!
    Good few things to discuss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

Disappeared don't think so . I don't need to cite anything, its pretty obvious to the dog on the street where things are focussed in the agri sector. How about you tell me anything that has been done to hinder dairying look at all the expansion before 2015. All out war happened in 09 over milk price and even the eu gave a token of compensation what other sector has ever had that?

Dairygold rebated things for the dairy farmer in 09 the poor beef lads got nothing.
    the over fast expansion of dairying in Ireland is been facilitated by food harvest 2020 the IFA tegasc.

Look at the p**s poor showing by the ifa recently over the beef.

I can see why some people in other countries want a form of quota retained its a form of protection from being obliterated by over zealous neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Lambofdave wrote: »
    Disappeared don't think so . I don't need to cite anything, its pretty obvious to the dog on the street where things are focussed in the agri sector. How about you tell me anything that has been done to hinder dairying look at all the expansion before 2015. All out war happened in 09 over milk price and even the eu gave a token of compensation what other sector has ever had that?

Dairygold rebated things for the dairy farmer in 09 the poor beef lads got nothing.
    the over fast expansion of dairying in Ireland is been facilitated by food harvest 2020 the IFA tegasc.

Look at the p**s poor showing by the ifa recently over the beef.

I can see why some people in other countries want a form of quota retained its a form of protection from being obliterated by over zealous neighbours.

"How about you tell me anything that has been done to hinder dairying look at all the expansion before 2015"

This comment alone makes any reply I might post redundant. You're clearly coming from a fixed position

You can't blame UCD for training students on what field they want to pursue. I can't comment on the arable part if your post. As far as I can see around me arable farmers will stop at no money to get land to run bigger machines to eat more of their SFP.

On the IFJ, its job is to sell papers and if there was an appetite for poultry leading to more copy sold I'm sure they'd do it.

Remember most of the dairy info was brought here by farmers travelling to USA, Canada, Holland and NZ. They brought back the info and put into practice. Teag and IFJ mearly followed.

Beef, again an industry collecting an SFP to hand to the factories at slaughter or to another farmer in the ring. Fr bull calves were dear last year and we couldn't keep them out the gate, €30 this year and nobody wanted them. I'm left with 65 April born fr bulls and when I sell they'll say there's a dairy guy ruining our business

Dairy success is down to a good structure at processor level, marketing and info sharing through discussion groups etc

You can't blame UCD for training students on what field they want to pursue. I can't comment on the arable part if your post. As far as I can see around me arable farmers will stop at no money to get land to run bigger machines to eat more of their SFP.

On the IFJ, its job is to sell papers and if there was an appetite for poultry leading to more copy sold I'm sure they'd do it.

Remember most of the dairy info was brought here by farmers travelling to USA, Canada, Holland and NZ. They brought back the info and put into practice. Teag and IFJ mearly followed.

Beef, again an industry collecting an SFP to hand to the factories at slaughter or to another farmer in the ring. Fr bull calves were dear last year and we couldn't keep them out the gate, €30 this year and nobody wanted them. I'm left with 65 April born fr bulls and when I sell they'll say there's a dairy guy ruining our business

Dairy success is down to a good structure at processor level, marketing and info sharing through discussion groups etc

To be fair,saying tillage guys wanting more ground is exactly the same as dairy farmers wanting a few extra cows so he can have a bigger parlour.... All in aid of adding a few extra feet in willy waving contest at local pub really.? The only reason to take on more work is for a better life style personally speaking, whats the point earning an extra few grand if it's more stress and more work to get there no spare time to spend it? richest corpse in the graveyard?

If the irish indo wanted to increase readership they could introduce red label style page 3 ye? just because it's not popular to most doesn't mean it should not be done even if it's for the betterment of an industry? if you scroll back one page you'll see your post at the bottom... could say the same about Ucd tooo really, no you can't blame them but atleast give those that do the best you can no?

As for dairy, i know nowt of the industry been 10+ years been involved at home place. Just don't fall into the trap of if you say your the best for long enough and loud enough you might just start to believe it yourself. Personally guys shouldn't put a single grain in the ground without a premium like human consumption grade organised, let the Blacksea provide their cheap grains, but, it's the same dairy processors that purchase most of the grains sold in Ireland so that's not likely?! And the need for a new/upgraded port probably, then guys in Se,Ne,Sw would all want it on their doorstep for exporting. And to get farmers to agree in consensus on something! world peace would be easier.

Remember ze Germans are best at OSR, Uk is good at wheat but messed themselves up with BlackGrass, what i mean is what's good over there might not be sooo good here you still need to keep a weather eye on the horizon all the same. Guys marvel at the Dutch, personally the netherlands is the most abused bit of dirt in the world and a road map guys here should look to avoid.
    Read here for some of my reasoning aswel as talking to growers at various meeting/trips etc.
    http://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/niels-van-der-boom-land-prices-dictate-farmer-success-in-holland.23242/

Fook it, we'll agree to dis-agree and that's grand. Life would be boring if people all though the same, and didn't have something to stimulate the braincells. :D:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Don't want to derail the thread to dairy again as its a good thread but just one point. How can tillage men afford to pay so much for land?
    Dairying is supposed to be the most profitable of the big 3 farming sectors in ireland-dairy,tillage and dry stock.
    I know for a fact I could not pay 300e an acre for ground to make silage on or graze heifers.
    A lot of the ground bought in my area with the exception of my father in the last 30 yrs has been by tillage farmers

• Advertisement

Don't want to derail the thread to dairy again as its a good thread but just one point. How can tillage men afford to pay so much for land?
    Dairying is supposed to be the most profitable of the big 3 farming sectors in ireland-dairy,tillage and dry stock.
    I know for a fact I could not pay 300e an acre for ground to make silage on or graze heifers.
    A lot of the ground bought in my area with the exception of my father in the last 30 yrs has been by tillage farmers

Single farm payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Is it any wonder there's a feeling this is a dairying forum when ya have the dairy lads with their dairy related threads and then the begrudgers turn interesting threads into "down with dairying" rants and the dairy boys decide to fight their corner.
    Grain price would be of interest to me, I've 75 acres of the stuff, and there's far too few tillage threads anyway, but the bitter pills weren't long about starting the "down with dairying" crap. eg...
    micraX wrote: »
    Can't wait for the dairy prices to flop, bring a few lads down a level. This forum is to weighed towards dairy, if sheep have their own forum, maybe dairy should too.

Tell me micra, who's your barbed aimed at?
    Is it the men and women who are carrying on a family tradition?
    Or is it the bucko whose jumped ship and invested heavily to start up?
    Or maybe the experts, advisors or farm groups who are pushing the dairy band wagon?
    Or is it all of the above cos you want to see another sector In the sh1t?

Wouldn't the bitter pills be better served directing their bile at the processors, retailers and organisations who have decimated and neglected their enterprises rather than sledge people who are reaping the rewards for their hard work. I have dairy beef and tillage, I want to see a good price for all of them and I'd be delighted if the sheep, pig, poultry and veggie people were too.

Sorry to any mods for advertising other websites twice in 2 posts but this is to show this problem is Universal and guys use any reason to justify it.
    http://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/land-to-rent.20817/

Personally i would rather take a lot less and keep land in good heart, who wants a tractor in 5 years that's worn out at 10k hrs vs one that's only run in iykwim.

"How about you tell me anything that has been done to hinder dairying look at all the expansion before 2015"

This comment alone makes any reply I might post redundant. You're clearly coming from a fixed position

You can't answer it can you?
    But Ironic you say I'm coming from a fixed position when you have already shown your lack of willingness to see how Dairy has been the favoured sector from time and immoral when you got answers you didn't like

I'm told that new crop barley now down to €149/ton.

I've reread this post twice. I like it a lot.
    Great perspective. Thanks.

Lambofdave wrote: »
    You can't answer it can you?
    But Ironic you say I'm coming from a fixed position when you have already shown your lack of willingness to see how Dairy has been the favoured sector from time and immoral when you got answers you didn't like

What exactly are you looking for?

lefthooker wrote: »
    Is it any wonder there's a feeling this is a dairying forum when ya have the dairy lads with their dairy related threads and then the begrudgers turn interesting threads into "down with dairying" rants and the dairy boys decide to fight their corner.

begrudgers it's hardly begrudging when all people should expect is the same level playing field for sectors rather then one being favoured over others. It's also bloody annoying that dairy people can't see it from the perspective of other sections and attack anyone who says it as it is.

Dairying is in the building boom phase and i just hope that when a price drop happens and it will thats inevitable on world markets it won't send to many over borrowed and extended people to the wall, Food harvest 2020 was like the tax breaks that started the building boom. A more cautious approach should have been pursued from the start. Tillage is a very much needed sector in Ireland get rid of it and be totally reliant on imported grain. Dairy prices month to month.

As for tillage guys paying ridiculous prices for grain ground I can't figure it out myself, but i also know of dairy men going 380 for ground for maize and away of getting rid of slurry.

Why couldn't the lads in dairy realised that an expansion involving other section was the way forward instead of listening to the so called experts that will as quickly disappear when the **** hits the fan at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

What a juvenile and immature post

If this is a reflection of you negotiating style I don't think dairy or veg farming is your problem.

I want to see a thegood margin for all farmers. If dairy's so good why not wish for all other enterprises to rise to that level as opposed to what you're spouting

I buy my veg from a van that calls weekly, it's more expensive but quality is far superior.

You've nearly persuaded me to have a bacon omelette for lunch instead of my favourite veg one
    What do you mean style? It's fairly obvious that with every one expanding there is going to be a flood of milk on the market, and supply and demand will come into play, over supple less demand, lads will end up selling milk cheaper. It's not about the primary product any more, the supermarkets control the prices there, in all reguards be it spuds, meat milk even the eggs for your omelette. Where money can be made these days requies further investment to process your produce, adding value. Like making yogurts or icecream or cheese, or with veg it's in the dicing and preping end of it. In other words judging from what iv seen And heard I think many people have invested heavily in the wrong thing, each to there own though, I could be wrong though. Anyways enjoy your omelette which I'm sure this post will make you want for your tea.

sheebadog wrote: »

Just to keep the thread in line.
    €€149 dried = €171 delivered Ireland.
    Minus circa €35 for drying etc = €136/ton green to the likes of Glanbia.

Anyone give a shyte?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Sorry to any mods for advertising other websites twice in 2 posts but this is to show this problem is Universal and guys use any reason to justify it.
    http://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/land-to-rent.20817/

Very very very interesting. Looking at that, It looks like beef and tillage have much the same enemy. Farmers getting a good sfp and willing to trow it away. The sooner it's scraped the better IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,085 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Anyone give a shyte?

Have a freind with 450 acres of corn (320 in obe block)that has come to me on and off for last while to milk and see what's involved in running a dairy herd .dose that answer ur question!!!!.hes telling me cost of fungicides/pesticides ,seed,fertliser etc is gone out of all proportion and with corn prices at current levels there's little to no margin in it

Very very very interesting. Looking at that, It looks like beef and tillage have much the same enemy. Farmers getting a good sfp and willing to trow it away. The sooner it's scraped the better IMO.

WTF are you on deltamethrin. ?

Anyone give a shyte?

Late November moved milling wheat, hagberg 250+, protein 12%+(negotiable), moisture 14.5%, screening-3% offered 172/pounds/ton for export from trading group of local farms.edit bushel mid 70's+
    Will look up rest monday forget off top of my head.

Late November moved milling wheat, hagberg 250+, protein 12%+(negotiable), moisture 14.5%, screening-3% offered 182/pounds/ton for export from trading group of local farms.edit bushel mid 70's+
    Will look up rest monday forget off top of my head.

Respectable proteins.

Respectable proteins.

Edited should be 172.
    they say 12 but just take a few pound off depending on if below, i like to blend if higher with other grain. That's problem forward selling need quality or lose to it that's ok with grain buyer, or else hope neighbours don't want toooo much for some of theirs.
    Don't ask about some N rates :o

Edited should be 172.
    they say 12 but just take a few pound off depending on if below, i like to blend if higher with other grain. That's problem forward selling need quality or lose to it that's ok with grain buyer, or else hope neighbours don't want toooo much for some of theirs.
    Don't ask about some N rates :o

Little bit of liquid urea when treating mycotoxins?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭farm14

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Have a freind with 450 acres of corn (320 in obe block)that has come to me on and off for last while to milk and see what's involved in running a dairy herd .dose that answer ur question!!!!.hes telling me cost of fungicides/pesticides ,seed,fertliser etc is gone out of all proportion and with corn prices at current levels there's little to no margin in it

Is your friend thinking of starting up a dairy herd because I am too. Growing grain is a f*****g joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭farm14

It's down as low as €138/t

• Advertisement

Little bit of liquid urea when treating mycotoxins?

Depends on year, An is more versatile in dry year like this(can mix with some water to reduce scorch risk further, urea likes to scorch sometimes) but didn't do one this year as topped up final split with some extra N as thought had enough foliage there already so thought crop wouldn't grow much more iykwim... Use urea alot lately mind such good value really atm
    Just went with triazole mix with high prothioconazole loading for earblight some rust after all the worrying crops not too bad(hopefully not famous last words)

Advertisement