17-03-2021, 19:41   #16
Del.Monte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalcombeSt4 View Post
Boston College tapes. It's in ED Moloney's "Voices from the Grave Book" on Hughes which I have in font of me. It nwas a couple of weeks after the first H-Block went up. Hughes said it was a way of softening the pows up before the new Maze system. McGrogan told Hughes that his mission was to poison top Republicans in prison, and this was just after Lenny Murphy poisoned his cell mate.

As a Republican just thinking about it gives me chills more than the MRF, E4A, SAS or the Glenanne Gang.

Just to clarify I'm not a dissident Republican I just believe in some of the core Republican values (some) & defend the wars (1969 - 98) , (1919 -23) & (36 - 39)

in general.

Does the 1956/62 Border Campaign not rate inclusion in your list of "wars"?
Advertisement
18-03-2021, 12:39   #17
BalcombeSt4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del.Monte View Post
Does the 1956/62 Border Campaign not rate inclusion in your list of "wars"?
No, just like I couldn't defend 42-44 or 39, it's not my list either, it's histories wars, unless your implying the ones I mentioned never took place.
18-03-2021, 14:02   #18
Del.Monte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalcombeSt4 View Post
No, just like I couldn't defend 42-44 or 39, it's not my list either, it's histories wars, unless your implying the ones I mentioned never took place.

Well, the 'wars' you quote are not what I would regard as wars but then I'm not a republican in any sense of the the word.
18-03-2021, 14:25   #19
Mick Tator

Quote:
Well,........ then I'm not a republican in any sense of the the word.
Neither are most of the self-styled Republicans in Ireland. Too many of them have hijacked the term, just as they hijacked the language.
18-03-2021, 17:57   #20
BalcombeSt4

Quote:
Well, the 'wars' you quote are not what I would regard as wars but then I'm not a republican in any sense of the the word.
Well that's fine, it's not as if you or me regarding them as wars or not is going to be a Earth shattering decision for anyone

But they are regarded by most people who lived through it like my mother & grandparents, British Army Generals, British Army Commanders, Sergeants, Majors etc..,British politicians, Loyalist leaders & brigadiers , IRA Commanders & Chief of Staffs, along with journalists who reported on it Peter Taylor, Mark Urban, Henry McDonald, Ed Moloney, Joe Tiernan etc... .

I mean the US at the time didn't regard (at least in public) Korea or Vietnam as wars. The US & British referred to Iraq, Libya & Afghanistan as "interventions"

Last edited by BalcombeSt4; 18-03-2021 at 18:07.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion