Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wearing a white Poppy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I wouldn’t believe you’re wearing it out much in public at all, no more than you believe I’d take it off you.

You still should be absolutely ashamed of yourself for wearing such a vulgar symbol in a victim state though. Inhuman behaviour.

The chap served his country home and abroad including surviving Iraq ,
    He can wear a poppy all he wants ,

50,000 + Irish men gave their lives in the trenches in ww1 and they should absolutely remembered and similar numbers faught across Europe against the Nazi's , again absolutely deserve to be honoured and remember.

Fair play to Kilkenny for having one of the best WW1 memorials I've seen in a long time here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I wore one every year in Ireland for over 30 years and never a word was said to me. You are definitely in the minority. Not a chance you would touch anyone, you might give them a dirty look or tut tut in disgust but not a chance would you approach anyone and try remove it.

Ditto, never a bad word said to me either.

Gatling wrote: »

50,000 + Irish men gave their lives in the trenches in ww1 and they should absolutely remembered and similar numbers faught across Europe against the Nazi's , again absolutely deserve to be honoured and remember.

Fair play to Kilkenny for having one of the best WW1 memorials I've seen in a long time here

Even for whatever reason if you want to remember those who fought under the apron, that symbol has no place here considering what they did here. Like I said, it’s the same as wearing a swastika in England. Filthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,406 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Even for whatever reason if you want to remember those who fought under the apron, that symbol has no place here considering what they did here. Like I said, it’s the same as wearing a swastika in England. Filthy.

Its obviously not though,

Wear a swastika in England and see the results

Wear a poppy in Ireland and see the results (hint....nothing happens)

Its obviously not though,

Wear a swastika in England and see the results

Wear a poppy in Ireland and see the results (hint....nothing happens)

It’s as offensive. Plus I never see anyone wearing that here anyway, you’re spoofing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,406 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It’s as offensive. Plus I never see anyone wearing that here anyway, you’re spoofing.

No one has claimed its a popular thing but if you look closely while walking down the streets you will be surprised how many you see.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Never heard of the swastika laundry that used to operate here , there ww2 style vans were painted black ,white ,red and a swastika on it .
    Up until a few years ago you could still see a chimney with the logo on it in Dublin.

Punk rockers in temple bar used to wear it for fecks sake

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Del2005 wrote: »
    Very few people have any issues with the Irish who died in the world wars. What people have an issue with is the Red poppy commemorates all UK soldiers from all their wars and they weren't the good guys in the majority of them.

Sigh. BIG sigh. All countries honour their dead. As is right and good and fitting. Mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters; we all need to honour the dead who died in war. Death has no politics or nationality.

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    white would mean coward in the old days

They cleans

And cleansed it of that idea; actually was it not yellow?

And white symbolises peace these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Closing for review

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Don't post in this thread again. Disgusting language from you.

Mod

Re-opening (hopefully not against my better judgement)

In addition to the above, everyone else keep their emotions in check posting. You can be pro/anti and still act civilised.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

They should actually do away with it, any commemoration comes on the back of wars, and their are no winners or loser in war, only dead and mutilated civilians and soldiers. What does it actually achieve nothing I think

I'm fairly partial to the opium poppy meself, greater yield. My Afghani brothers are making a rake of coin on the black market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Kylta wrote: »
    They should actually do away with it, any commemoration comes on the back of wars, and their are no winners or loser in war, only dead and mutilated civilians and soldiers. What does it actually achieve nothing I think

I know a man with similar opinions.

I'm fairly partial to the opium poppy meself, greater yield. My Afghani brothers are making a rake of coin on the black market.

All the lads on the Quays told me to tell the afghani brothers to keep up the good work. There itching to know when is it afghani poppy day, their is a dispute going on about which poppy the want, the die-hards want the golden brown, the newbies want the white.

surely it is for the families? Many have no funerals, no grave to visit. Just a telegram in the last war. The most dreaded sight was the telegram boy.

And yes, to honour and remember all who lost their lives in war.

Do they not say, " Lest we forget"?

Nothing to do with winners or losers. Just sons and daughters, husbands, wives, brothers, sisters and many of the wounded lived on crippled lives, so to be remembered and honoured.

Graces7 wrote: »
    surely it is for the families? Many have no funerals, no grave to visit. Just a telegram in the last war. The most dreaded sight was the telegram boy.

Nothing to do with winners or losers. Just sons and daughters, husbands, wives, brothers, sisters and many of the wounded lived on crippled lives, so to be remembered and honoured.

Just so you know, the poppy means nothing to me I dont care who wears or who dies wear it. I can't justified a war at any means, and here is the problem with war and soldiers, soldiers are trained to kill, its the basic part of their job. So we have two sides killing each other ( we won't go into the murdering and destruction or war crimes against innocent people and cities and towns) and then the nation wants to honour them. No war should never be honoured at any cost, and them people whose forefathers and grandfathers who were killed in these wars should be looking for these commemorations to be done away with, after all the ancestors did get a glorious death, the were fu¢king butchered. There are only losers in war

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I agree it only brings back the them and us carry on. It does nothing to help moving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'd be very slow to wear anything that commemorates anything at this stage. Never wore the poppy, didn't really understand it and wasn't even interested to find out tbh. If it was important to me as an Irish person, it would have been driven into me in school, like St. Brigids cross that we made every year in primary school. I've no issue with other people wearing them, again because I don't know the whole story behind them (nor do I want to), but no-one will force me to wear anything fi I don't want to. Same with the rainbow badges during that crazy time where everyone was wearing them/told to wear them (to show support... ugh).

I apply that across most things though, I don't wear labels either. Only thing I will advertise is Playstation. Don't think they've done anything too bad to people in general, aside from maybe charge too much for games on their store (they won most Ethical company in 2020 so musn't be that bad).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Treppen wrote: »
    I for one think this is a good compromise.

So the compromise is your giving in and wearing something that has been hijacked in Ireland to represent the British army’s ability to crush innocent Irish civilians in the six counties.

It’s like saying that wearing a white swastika is a compromise, they are both hate symbols

No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Perfectly put.
    Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Treppen wrote: »
    I for one think this is a good compromise.

a white poppy? thats nearly worse than a red one, tbh... If you're going to wear a poppy, at least have the balls to wear it with pride

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

The people who insist others wear a poppy, i.e. are forced to don a certain element of attire are the very same people who decry Muslim men for "forcing" their wives to wear hijabs or naqibs even though it's a choice on the part of the woman.

i don't do anything I don't want to do. I got yelled at by some cromagnon for not standing up for the US national anthem in Shea Stadium in New York before a baseball game. Why should I stand up? I'm here to watch this stupid game because I got free tickets. I told him if he didn't fcuk off I'd put him on his back.

No it isn't; it was always de rigueur from my long ago UK childhood onwards …

and many Irish men served in the War.

So what?

They didn't have to "serve". Why should anyone be pressured into marching in lockstep by wearing a poppy to "remember" the fallen? Incidentally they're not "fallen", they were were killed, shot, burnt, blown to bits.

It's just another example of browbeating and emotional blackmail.

I wore one every year in Ireland for over 30 years and never a word was said to me. You are definitely in the minority. Not a chance you would touch anyone, you might give them a dirty look or tut tut in disgust but not a chance would you approach anyone and try remove it.

Out of curiosity, why did/do you wear one?

Thats your opinion, people like my grandfathers fought/got injured and died in wars so that people like you could have this opinion.

I have always worn one, I will always wear one and if people like you ever have an issue with that then please feel free to approach me about it, I know you never will but the options are always there.

Really?

And how exactly did they fight and die so others could have an "opinion"? The same old cliche trotted out time and time again. "They died for your freedom!" Give me a break. I hear the same **** from Americans extolling the virtues of Calley and his savages butchering infants at My Lai 10,000 km from America as fighting for "freedom" and anyone who questions the slaughter should pack up and move to North Korea.

In case you hadn't noticed your glorious British Army were also responsible for upholding an apartheid system in many parts of the world and stamping out "opinion" with a boot and a bullet. Don't you think a civil rights march is an expression of opinion, freedom of speech and freedom of assembly? I guess not in Derry, eh?

Where was the fight to protect and cherish civil liberties there? Opinions? Freedoms?

What about Iraq? Afghanistan? Did your grandfathers' antecedants go there to protect opinion both at home and in the place they were sacking all for a global foothold at the behest of political expediency and corporate advantage.

Defending "freedom". Pull the other one and keep telling yourself that crap.

As I said, look at the previous poppy threads, I'm sure I've even posted pictures. The fact is a tiny minor of angry folk like yourself care, no one else does.

You're entitled to wear what you want and I would never rip a poppy off you or anyone else.

But much the same way as some person wearing a star of david and swanning through a Palestinian neighbourhood in Jerusalem on the anniversary of the Yom Kippur War or some winner donning his 777 Eugene Terrablanche cap and saying "Whadya gonna do, kaffir?" in Johannesberg or some prick wearing his "White Pride World Wide" T-shirt or any number of Japanese dicks who like to sport the Rising Sun as a symbol of Nippon strength and how their forebears fought for their "way of life" and a million Chinese be damned.

I'll let you be. I'll just think "asshole".

i don't do anything I don't want to do. I got yelled at by some cromagnon for not standing up for the US national anthem in Shea Stadium in New York before a baseball game. Why should I stand up? I'm here to watch this stupid game because I got free tickets. I told him if he didn't fcuk off I'd put him on his back.

Defending "freedom". Pull the other one and keep telling yourself that crap.

I'll let you be. I'll just think "asshole".

Mod

Tone it down a few notches if you want to continue posting.

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »

What's your opinion on war criminals?

Maybe you don't like the dirty news and cling on to the good stuff but Iraq was a complete war crime and all those who took part were/are complicit.

As I mentioned, the guy can wear whatever he wants to celebrate whatever he wants. But don't bluff out the rest of us by trying to maintain that it is to honour the great defenders of women, children, the elderly and the defenseless.

The British Army are and always have been a body to impose colonial threat in order to maintain a monetary advantage back at home for the upper echelons. If you think that Tommy Atkins who was gassed to death in the trenches of the Somme was defending anyone then I suggest you go back to your comic books.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement