Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did any of you ever get slapped as a child?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Once...... I was about 13/14, my mam was taking out the hoover, and messing I said "a woman's work is never done".........five fingers wrapped across my jaw. Was an absolute beauty. Kudos. Only time she ever raised a hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Yeah regularly got slapped around the arse ir back of the legs by both my mum and dad. Never slapped in the face or head. I’ll admit I probably deserved 99% of it. It done me no harm and I think a good slap every now and then would have benefitted many of today’s teenagers/young adults however I do not slap my own children and probably never will...although I have to add that they have never done anything so far that would have warranted a slap/physical reprimand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

This is it wrote: »
    I'm not here to change your mind, some parents think it's ok or necessary, I think it's bad parenting.

Some children cannot be reasoned with. They don't have the capacity to understand reason, so trying to be logical with a person that cannot understand logic is pointless. This is also "bad parenting".

Say a child runs out into the street continually and despite all efforts of the parent to reason with that child about the danger to its safety, it continues to do so, up to the point where the child is involved in a serious or fatal accident, would that also be considered "bad parenting".

The shock of a smack on the arse is often enough for a child to understand that it has crossed the line and the parent is seriously displeased. Often this is the quickest and most effective way to show the child that the end of that particular nonsense has been reached. Children don't want to displease their parents and an angry outburst shows the child clearly that these actions are not the way to go.

But that doesn't mean that slapping should be the first port of call or the solution for every piece of ill discipline that a child will engage in either. Most boldness doesn't warrant a slap. But there are times when I think it can be justified.

There's a difference between slapping a child because it won't brush its teeth and slapping a child because it wants to put its hands in a fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭manatoo

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Luckily no, his anger had subsided by the time I came along, my previous 4 siblings weren't as fortunate. Now that he's in his dotage we're supposed to play the loving family to this vicious fcuker.

This exactly, except in my case it was her anger, not his. Can never quite make my peace with it when we're treated to her Waltons act at Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Tony EH wrote: »
    Some children cannot be reasoned with. They don't have the capacity to understand reason, so trying to be logical with a person that cannot understand logic is pointless. This is also "bad parenting".

Say a child runs out into the street continually and despite all efforts of the parent to reason with that child about the danger to its safety, it continues to do so, up to the point where the child is involved in a serious or fatal accident, would that also be considered "bad parenting".

The shock of a smack on the arse is often enough for a child to understand that it has crossed the line and the parent is seriously displeased. Often this is the quickest and most effective way to show the child that the end of that particular nonsense has been reached. Children don't want to displease their parents and an angry outburst shows the child clearly that these actions are not the way to go.

But that doesn't mean that slapping should be the first port of call or the solution for every piece of ill discipline that a child will engage in either. Most boldness doesn't warrant a slap. But there are times when I think it can be justified.

There's a difference between slapping a child because it won't brush its teeth and slapping a child because it wants to put its hands in a fire.

You might think that, but there's actually still room for good parenting even in the road/hand in fire examples.

You mightn't be aware, but that doesn't excuse hitting a kid. You wouldn't let anyone else hit your kids, so the one person they trust most in the world shouldn't be the one to do it.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    we used to be sent to our rooms. It was a very real punishment when we wanted to be out playing with our friends.. could hear them outside...

This never worked with me Grace. I used to love my room. :pac:

Mum: "Go to your room!"

Me: "I'm already in my room!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

I got the odd slap as i was growing up and it was seen as the norm then , 60's / 70's .
    over the last few decades some do gooders made it illegal to slab a child and in general discipline in the home , school and in public has broken down and has led to an increase in anti social behaviour .
    if slapping a kid is seen to be teaching kids that violence is ok how is it that the 60's /70's when it was the norm to slap a child ,we had a lot less anti social behaviour and violence than now . As a decrease in the correction of kid's behaviour and the slapping of kids made illegal , we have more and more kids running wild and showing f..k all regard for anybody or anything .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

I got the odd slap as i was growing up and it was seen as the norm then , 60's / 70's .
    over the last few decades some do gooders made it illegal to slab a child and in general discipline in the home , school and in public has broken down and has led to an increase in anti social behaviour .
    if slapping a kid is seen to be teaching kids that violence is ok how is it that the 60's /70's when it was the norm to slap a child ,we had a lot less anti social behaviour and violence than now . As a decrease in the correction of kid's behaviour and the slapping of kids made illegal , we have more and more kids running wild and showing f..k all regard for anybody or anything .

I can't talk for the scummy youth, but I'd think they already are seeing a fair bit of violence at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The threat of the wooden spoon did the trick.

I remember once when my Dad picked my pyjamas off an armchair in the living room and told ~ 7-year-old me to put them in my bedroom. In a fit of pique at being asked, snatched them put of his hand in a shítty way. He made a swing to slap me on the árse. I dodged it but I was in shock that he had lifted his hand and realised that I'd been shítty enough to push him that far. Still remember that vividly 30 years later.

Peatys wrote: »
    I can't talk for the scummy youth, but I'd think they already are seeing a fair bit of violence at home.
    that's the whole point , as correction of kids and discipline in general has decreased over the past 4 or 5 decades violence has increased .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Dutchy

Often got it with the sweeping brush. The soft end in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

that's the whole point , as correction of kids and discipline in general has decreased over the past 4 or 5 decades violence has increased .

Really?

You might be right, but I'd like to see the numbers as to my mind there's substantially less violence nowadays.

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    Really?

You might be right, but I'd like to see the numbers as to my mind there's substantially less violence nowadays.
    ya , really . you don't need numbers or statistics or links to anything . just keep up with the news . Even the local parers would be a start , muggings , stabbings , fights , domestic violence , burglaries .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭This is it

If a child doesn't have the capacity to be reasoned with how is hitting them going to help, how are they supposed to process that?

Hitting a child is a parent losing control, it's bad parenting and there's no excuse for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Of course you should give your kids or your wife a good slap when they step out of line. You just can't reason with some kids or women so how else can you teach them how they should behave.........

If a child doesn't have the capacity to be reasoned with how is hitting them going to help, how are they supposed to process that?.

I've explained that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Grounding shouldn't be a threat. Give a warning and then implement whatever punishment it is eg not going out with friends, taking phone for 1/2/3 days. You can defend it all you like but hitting isn't for the benefit of the child - it's so the parent can have a quick fix punishment and not have to listen to a child complain while they are grounded.
    I remember a few slaps on the bottom when I was under 7 or 8 but I actually don't remember any other punishment for either of us after that. We were given out to but I don't think anything else was really needed. Maybe tv was banned or we had to do some work.

Anyway ours get their time on tv or consoles cut at the moment (they have daily limit anyway). I can understand not letting them to go to some event but general grounding doesn't make any sense. All you are doing is limiting their time outside and possibly increasing their time in front of different screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Peatys wrote: »
    You might think that, but there's actually still room for good parenting even in the road/hand in fire examples.

You mightn't be aware, but that doesn't excuse hitting a kid. You wouldn't let anyone else hit your kids, so the one person they trust most in the world shouldn't be the one to do it.

And conversely, while you might think that a parent smacking their children is an indication of “bad parenting”, the fact is that an excuse for doing so isn’t necessary. It’s regarded as a socially acceptable and legitimate form of discipline as opposed to other forms of discipline. The key factor in determining whether any form of discipline is acceptable or appropriate is intent.

It’s why the Government of the time, in spite of numerous claims here to the contrary, didn’t introduce legislation specifically making smacking children unlawful or a criminal offence. They simply removed a long-standing defence that could be used by a defendant in cases where they were accused of child neglect. The key determination again in these cases is whether or not the intent is to cause harm or undue suffering to a child or children.

Parents who use smacking as a form of discipline aren’t immediately criminalised for doing so as it isn’t acting in the interests of children to criminalise their parents for what is still regarded as a socially acceptable form of discipline. The idea of removing the defence of reasonable chastisement was to promote a cultural shift in attitudes regarding how parents choose to discipline their children appropriately. The mantra that “smacking children is illegal” promotes a misunderstanding of what is regarded in Irish legislation as child neglect - a person may be charged with child neglect for using other forms of discipline which are also socially acceptable, such as psychological and emotional manipulation causing harm and undue suffering to a child or children in their care, without ever using physical discipline. Again, the key factor in any case will be to determine intent.

As for whether or not I personally would or wouldn’t permit anyone else to physically discipline my child and your assumption that I wouldn’t - I can’t answer for anyone else, and I won’t attempt to answer for anyone else, but because I see nothing inherently wrong or inappropriate in using physical discipline to discipline children, i wouldn’t have any immediate issue with anyone else using the same methods I use to discipline my child. I would have an issue if I determined that their intent was to cause harm and undue suffering to my child, regardless of what form of discipline they used, whether it be physical, verbal, psychological or emotional discipline. Again, and I have to stress this - the key factor is intent.

As for notions of “good parenting” and “bad parenting”, to me they are just simplistic nonsense that has no regard for the bigger picture that is instilling in children an understanding of appropriate and inappropriate behaviour and context. It would be silly for example to suggest that the State should imprison children who misbehave as it would be regarded as a form of psychological torture and place them at risk of even greater harm and undue suffering. Yet that is exactly what we do with adults when they misbehave. We do not hold children and adults to the same standards, so comparisons between how we discipline children and how we discipline adults are so different as to be incomparable, and it would be silly, as demonstrated above, to even try and compare them.

The idea of imprisoning adults is with the intent to have them reform their attitudes towards society and modify their behaviour accordingly. To argue that we should attempt to do the same with children and hold children to the same standards as we do adults, would be utterly ridiculous, and it wouldn’t be long being pointed out exactly why we don’t hold children to the same standards as adults - because children haven’t yet developed the mental capacity and faculties of reason to have the same understanding as adults, and are therefore not held criminally responsible for inappropriate and socially unacceptable behaviour in the same context as we hold mentally competent adults responsible for their behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭This is it

I've explained that.

I somehow missed half your post, apologies.

It may work in some cases but in my eyes the bad far outweighs the good. I don't believe there's any time that hitting a child is warranted, you can fire as many hypotheticals as you want. Hitting your child is bad parenting.

I somehow missed half your post, apologies.

It may work in some cases but in my eyes the bad far outweighs the good. I don't believe there's any time that hitting a child is warranted, you can fire as many hypotheticals as you want. Hitting your child is bad parenting.

No worries.

Sure, hitting a child shouldn't be go-to No.1. But, unfortunately, conversational reasoning just doesn't work in some cases. A four year old simply doesn't possess the cognitive reasoning to process the points of a conversation that illustrate that pouring boiling water on itself will result in scalding and a trip to A+E. How can it? It's never seen a scald and never seen A+E.

It'll understand the shock of a quick slap though. Which, more than likely, won't hurt it, but will certainly alert it to the fact that it has crossed a line in a serious way and understand that that's not the path to be going down.

That's not an excuse for abuse though, which is another matter entirely and some of the stories on this thread are ones of that nature, rather than the very occasional slap on the bum that most Irish kids would have experienced in the up until, probably, the 90's.

There are age limits involved here too. If a parent is slapping their child when that child is over 6 or so, then something is clearly not right in that relationship.

My mother always dealt out the corporal punishment in our house and that usually took the form of a quick slap when I was out of control. This was very rare, it has to be said, but it certainly made me cop on fast. My dad, on the other hand, never hit me. Which was a good thing, because he was a strong man. He wasn't tall, but he was big and well built <- time in the Army and all that.

However, my dad had a way of making me feel like absolute shit and that was MUCH worse and way longer lasting than the occasional slap that my mum dished out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

ya , really . you don't need numbers or statistics or links to anything . just keep up with the news . Even the local parers would be a start , muggings , stabbings , fights , domestic violence , burglaries .

Newspapers like to highlight such things all the same, there's also the fact that many of these things would never have been reported in prior years, particularly rape, domestic violence, standard bar/street fight etc.
    I think stats in general show that violence rates worldwide are dropping, I doubt we are the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    Newspapers like to highlight such things all the same, there's also the fact that many of these things would never have been reported in prior years, particularly rape, domestic violence, standard bar/street fight etc.
    I think stats in general show that violence rates worldwide are dropping, I doubt we are the exception.

Drunken fights years ago involved a boxing match whereas nowadays a few kicks to the head is the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I wasn't an obnoxious child, but I could be wilful enough when I felt like it, my mother slapped me across the face one time, told me in later years that she vomited afterwards (what a pu55y).

My Da was built like an Ox but in fairness he used to check himself if he was annoyed as he knew he might really hurt the kids if he slapped them, but I remember we got into a real barney over something that I was being very selfish about at age 10 or 11 and he put me through the timber side gate of the house, split it in half and took the hinges clean off the jam. End of argument frankly.

I guess the problem I have is conceding the principle of dishing out physical punishment. I would have no difficulty with an open handed slap to the arse or the back of the legs of a whining or hysterical child, but once the shock factor of that wears off with the child, what to do next? I've seen with the kids in my family that consistency of punishment is the key, no soft parent or grandparent or teacher who breaks the embargo.

If a child is to be denied things or privileges as a punishment, it has to be followed through to the max and the concept of consequences clearly reinforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Yup sure did, my younger brother, however, did not.

Needless to say the old boy has his favorites.

Did a good job at denting one's confidence( along with anixety) too which took much of my twenties to build back up.

No such problems now though ;)

If I ever have children there will be no violence in my house; plenty other ways to discipline a child these days then resorting to simple physical assault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭misterme123

Just to be clear -

No new offence has been created that explicitly prohibits the smacking of children as a form of punishment - however, the decision to remove the defence is a significant step.

This and your other posts are very much a case of a little learning being a dangerous thing.
    This thread is about disciplining children by corporal punishment, which is effectively illegal, even without an explicit ban. Of course you are unlikely to get done for it, but that's the clearest way to describe the law as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Those are adult behaviours and it has more to do with our lenient court system that lets people run around with multiple convictions, rather than not enough corporal punishment as a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

This and your other posts are very much a case of a little learning being a dangerous thing.
    This thread is about disciplining children by corporal punishment, which is effectively illegal, even without an explicit ban. Of course you are unlikely to get done for it, but that's the clearest way to describe the law as it stands.

What are you trying to say exactly? Because “effectively” and “explicitly” don’t mean the same thing, and it appears from your post as if you’re trying to argue that they do.

This thread is asking whether or not posters were smacked as children by their parents, and one poster tried to claim that smacking children is illegal. I simply pointed out that it isn’t, and I explained why it isn’t, and then you chose to tell me again that it was illegal, to which I chose not to respond because it would mean just repeating what I’d already said.

Now you’re trying to tell me what the clearest way for you to interpret the law is by completely muddying the waters and introducing confusion where I have already provided clarity on the issue with regard to the position of smacking within the context of Irish legislation and the law.

Perhaps if you stated your position clearly, I might better understand where you’re coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Yes, nothing major. Whacks on the arse or leg.Wouldn't excuse it and I accept it happens out of frustration on their part but it was a small enough part of a stable childhood with a lot of love there too and I don't resent them for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Feisar

Got plenty of garden canes. To be fair I was/am a thick cnut.

Dad: Apologize or I'll get the cane.

Me: Cane it is then.

First they came for the socialists...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement