Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Motorhome / Conversion, VRT and You.

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 LifeIs TooShort2

I'm researching to a VW Transporter Conversion and cannot figure one thing out.

Say I purchase second hand Irish registered VW Transporter van for 20k. Then I do a 15k conversion. Is the VRT due on the change of category for the OMSP calculated including the original van price (van 20k + 15k build = VRT due on 35k) .... OR.... is the VRT charged on the OMSP minus the original van price (OMSP - 20k)?

As a PAYE worked who is putting his already taxes savings into this project - this VRT scam will ensure that FF & FG will not getting any voting preference from me... the mafia wouldn't get a look in. Grrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Fright

The VRO will take in the price of the completed camper. So if you buy a van for 20k and put a 15k conversion into it then they will value the completed project at around 40.5k. (From experience they generally take the price of the van, the price of conversion and add on 15%). So the vrt would be €5,186 (13 3% of €40,500 minus the €200 already paid as a van).

Sad I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

OMSP has nothing to with what the van cost or what you spent on it, its what the VRO imagines its worth. I'm sure if you submit invoices saying you spent a fortune on it then it will have an inflationary effect on the OMSP though.

If you bought the van privately and converted yourself there would be no invoices, you could then decide to upgrade it down the line :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Fright

OMSP has nothing to with what the van cost or what you spent on it, its what the VRO imagines its worth. I'm sure if you submit invoices saying you spent a fortune on it then it will have an inflationary effect on the OMSP though.

If you bought the van privately and converted yourself there would be no invoices, you could then decide to upgrade it down the line :cool:
    I agree. You could have got the van for nothing but the VRO will still put their own value on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AnnoyedWithRTE

sheener287 wrote: »
    Hi All, I have read through thread and theirs some great advise. I have just purchased a 06 Opel Movano crew cab and started my conversion and have a couple of questions you might be able to help me with.

I have declared off road within the 21 days as it had no DOE or Tax for over a year, Is this correct thing to do?

As a crew cab it has three rear seat which I plan on using just two and moving forward a bit and re bolting down with 12mm bolts & Nylon
    lock nuts and plates, is this OK?

I have bought smev 9222 twin hob and sink, does this cover "cooking" part required to be classed as a camper? Does the kitchen need to be bolted through floor also?

I am fitting bunk beds transversely at the rear of the van, any special requirements there?

Thanks for the help.
    Stephen

How much VRT is due when you use a Crew Cab to convert to a camper. Would you be allowed to offset the VRT that was already paid on this van when it was bought which I understand is 13.5%
    So If I was to convert a 8 to 10 year old crew cab would I avoid paying VRT.

• Advertisement

How much VRT is due when you use a Crew Cab to convert to a camper. Would you be allowed to offset the VRT that was already paid on this van when it was bought which I understand is 13.5%
    So If I was to convert a 8 to 10 year old crew cab would I avoid paying VRT.

Yes whatever vrt was paid is subtracted from vrt due, whether you pay no vrt depends on whether the OMSP of the converted van is more or less that the OMSP of the crewcab at the time the VRT was paid, which depends on when it was converted or imported, mileage, condition at the time, direction of the wind on that day etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭salad17

Thanks for all the useful information. I have a question:

I want to purchase a ford transit luton for conversion.

Usually the GVW of transit lutons is 3,500 however the one I am looking at buying is rated 4,200kg. Not because it is any larger or has a bigger load space, simply because it has a stronger axle so can technically take a larger load.

This is very frustrating as I want to be able to drive it on a car license. If I re-class it as a camper is there any way I can down grade the weight class?

I see from page 1 you give the unladen weight before and after conversion, but this doesn't seem to affect the GVW?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

The normal B licence covers you up to and including 3,500kg - your post says the one you're looking at is 3,500kg so you'd be ok?

It is possible to get the vehicle down-plated:
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/VS_Information_Notes/Vehicle_Modifications/FAQs%20on%20Down%20rating%20or%20Up%20rating%20a%20Vehicle.pdf

As far as I recall this can be done by the chasis no. etc and there is no need to see the actual vehicle - iirc it was about €250.
    http://www.svtech.co.uk/our-services/downplating/

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭salad17

Simona1986 wrote: »
    The normal B licence covers you up to and including 3,500kg - your post says the one you're looking at is 3,500kg so you'd be ok?

It is possible to get the vehicle down-plated:
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/VS_Information_Notes/Vehicle_Modifications/FAQs%20on%20Down%20rating%20or%20Up%20rating%20a%20Vehicle.pdf

As far as I recall this can be done by the chasis no. etc and there is no need to see the actual vehicle - iirc it was about €250.
    http://www.svtech.co.uk/our-services/downplating/

Oops, that was a typo, corrected now. The one I'm looking at is 4,200kg

Ok thanks I'll check it out. I know it's possible to do with the vehicle as it is, though everyone I spoke to implied it is extremely difficult.

So I'm wondering if it's possible (and hopefully much easier) to just do it when I reclassify the vehicle as a camper. Hopefully without any physical modifications being necessary (such as changing it to a lower grade axle).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kayleg

Hiya, I have been reading this post over and over again for the last few mths. It is really informative. I really want to convert a van to a camper as many campers for sale are way to expensive for the actual condition they are in...some laughable!

Can anyone clarify if the VRT is calculated on the market value of a campervan/motorhome of a similar year or of the van as a commercial of a similar yr??

E.g. thinking of buying something similar to a 2006 nissan primstar which is for sale privately for 1200euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

It's calculated on the value of the converted camper.

kayleg wrote: »
    E.g. thinking of buying something similar to a 2006 nissan primstar which is for sale privately for 1200euro

Do a basic conversion for the VRT you can be adding the bells and whistles after o have paid the VRT. I'd expect to pay about 700-1000 VRT on a 2006 primastar with basic conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kayleg

Do a basic conversion for the VRT you can be adding the bells and whistles after o have paid the VRT. I'd expect to pay about 700-1000 VRT on a 2006 primastar with basic conversion.

That's something to definitely think about, I could work with that and just do the basic requirements Thanks very much for the input!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭hometruths

Hi, wondering about vrt timescales on an imported motorhome from UK.

I understand I have to make appointment with NCT centre for inspection, and then Revenue will contact me in due course with their value and VRT payable calculation.

What sort of timescale can I expect from inspection to deadline for payment of VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 B.I.O.Y.H.

If you haven't the VRT paid within one month of the vehicle arriving into the country, they fine you and increase the amount of VRT payable.

Once you have the NCT part done, it'll be about a week until they give you a made up figure, plucked from the sky on how much is owed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 wunderbar

Has anyone converted a caravelle minibus?
    I'm looking at one which is currently registered as an SPSV and trying to figure out if I will get stung for VRT when I try to register it as a camper. It's driver plus 8 passengers if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eoghanl83

Lucky for you I can answer this question for you by now.

The process I followed is as follows.
    • Get the van changed over from a revenue perspective as I mentioned above.
    • Bring the VRT receipt and the engineers report (same documentation as I sent to Revenue) to the DOE centre. They were happy enough to test it as a camper with this.
    • The insurance can be sorted once the DOE is passed (they will ask for a declaration). I would be comfortable driving the van at this stage. If you have the documentation to show its been changed over recently it is likely a guard will be reasonable with you.
    • Take the DOE cert and VRT receipt to the tax office.
    • After about half an hour, the involvement of 4 different staff members and much flicking through manuals in the tax office they figured out how to change it from a commercial vehicle to a camper and gave me the tax disc.

Hope that helps!

I'm nearly there converting a van and trying to figure out how long it will take to get on the road. The van has a current DOE and tax disc up to December.

I got in touch with Stuarts for insurance and they will look for;

Copy of the log book - does this have to be the log book showing the van as a camper (basically after going through all the VRT with Revenue) or would they be ok with a copy of the current log book?

DOE - same thing, would the current DOE be ok to submit or do I need the DOE after doing the conversion?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

eoghanl83 wrote: »
    I'm nearly there converting a van and trying to figure out how long it will take to get on the road. The van has a current DOE and tax disc up to December.

I got in touch with Stuarts for insurance and they will look for;

Copy of the log book - does this have to be the log book showing the van as a camper (basically after going through all the VRT with Revenue) or would they be ok with a copy of the current log book?

DOE - same thing, would the current DOE be ok to submit or do I need the DOE after doing the conversion?

Thanks in advance!

I'm at the moment waiting for my VRT valuation. The current waiting time is between 6 to 8 weeks. Sent the application mid-April so could be soon enough.

This offical site has all the information you need including the VRT form that has to be signed by a SQI.

Stuarts wouldn't insure my base van when under construction so went with the motorcaravanclub.com instead who arranged me insurance policy. The DOE (=CVRT) is not directly relevant for the process, the SQI inspection is. But in your case your van is still tested for some months so you'll have time to get the ball rolling before the next test is due.

I would definitely recommend the motorcaravanclub route as they were able help me with the process. Things used to be easier and cheaper when I converted my last van in 2008 but I got the impression there has been lots of milking the system and the safety of some of the conversions used to be questionable so strict rules were put in place.

Yea it was the same for me - couldn't get insurance while the van was under construction.

I was onto Stuarts and explained the long wait time with Revenue and the VRT. They said that while waiting on the VRT I could get fully comp insurance for 10 days and after that it reduces to fire and theft only. Once I get the VRT docs and new log book in hand, send them into Stuarts and cover goes back to fully comp.

Got my valuation letter this morning stating that I owe the Revenue Commissoners a sum of money. A quite basic 141 Sprinter conversion was valued at 22000. As said early in the thread it's 13.3% of the OMSP - 200 I paid when importing the base van which was very close to what I was expecting. I sent a detailed bill of all the materials and the base van purchase price with my application and it hasn't got any heating, hot water or bathroom, just what is legally required.

A bank draft on now the way to Athy. After that I take I'll hear from the office again with a receipt of the payment after which I can hopefully tax the van as MTRCVAN. And then it's just happy travels. Oh yes, have to also inform the insurance company that the van has been classified as a motorcaravan when the paperwork arrives hopefully next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

samih wrote: »
    Got my valuation letter this morning stating that I owe the Revenue Commissoners a sum of money. A quite basic 141 Sprinter conversion was valued at 22000. As said early in the thread it's 13.3% of the OMSP - 200 I paid when importing the base van which was very close to what I was expecting. I sent a detailed bill of all the materials and the base van purchase price with my application and it hasn't got any heating, hot water or bathroom, just what is legally required.

A bank draft on now the way to Athy. After that I take I'll hear from the office again with a receipt of the payment after which I can hopefully tax the van as MTRCVAN. And then it's just happy travels. Oh yes, have to also inform the insurance company that the van has been classified as a motorcaravan when the paperwork arrives hopefully next week.

You can appeal and it's often successful

Looking at the Revenue documents and also Stuarts insurance checklist.

Revenue requires the SQI declaration of conversion and Stuarts look for the Engineers Report.

Are these the same thing?

eoghanl83 wrote: »
    Looking at the Revenue documents and also Stuarts insurance checklist.

Revenue requires the SQI declaration of conversion and Stuarts look for the Engineers Report.

Are these the same thing?

I would say so as the engineers report was the old name for the SQI predecessor. Do Stuarts not accept a CVRT pass? Although if it's a new conversion you'll need to get the SQI done anyway. The revenue will eventually send back a copy of the original report they used for the VRT valuation so you can reuse that I'd imagine.

Our Sprinter is now reclassified as M1 (SA) and taxed for the year. Time to hit the road. Now just need some good weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

samih wrote: »
    I would say so as the engineers report was the old name for the SQI predecessor. Do Stuarts not accept a CVRT pass? Although if it's a new conversion you'll need to get the SQI done anyway. The revenue will eventually send back a copy of the original report they used for the VRT valuation so you can reuse that I'd imagine.

Our Sprinter is now reclassified as M1 (SA) and taxed for the year. Time to hit the road. Now just need some good weather.

Hit the road anyway, getting good weather is a bonus. You'd be dealing with bad weather at home so why not use the vehicle and get some use out of it:)
    Its also handy to keep the first few runs short in case anything crops up that needs attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Getting some great info on these threads - thanks to all of you!

The amount of conflicting / out of date information out there on van conversions is causing me some confusion though. I'm hoping to convert a van over the winter, something along the lines of a T4 / Caravelle.

All I'm worried about is completing the conversion - and having difficulty insuring it.

I won't be botching it - it would have the required windows / cooking / sleeping facilities done to a high standard, I'm happy to spend a bit of money on this. I also have a main vehicle insured.

Would it be safe to assume that a T4 converted to a high standard would be insurable? (I guess it would have to be through one of the clubs due to <1.8m height?)

bluelamp wrote: »

The amount of conflicting / out of date information out there on van conversions is causing me some confusion though. I'm hoping to convert a van over the winter, something along the lines of a T4 / Caravelle.

All I'm worried about is completing the conversion - and having difficulty insuring it.

I won't be botching it - it would have the required windows / cooking / sleeping facilities done to a high standard, I'm happy to spend a bit of money on this. I also have a main vehicle insured.

Would it be safe to assume that a T4 converted to a high standard would be insurable? (I guess it would have to be through one of the clubs due to <1.8m height?)

Through the clubs and Rosslare may try to fob you off saying 1.8m is still a requirement for VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭jamesbil

bluelamp wrote: »

Best bet is to get in touch with a good auto engineer. You will need one to sign it all off.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

jamesbil wrote: »
    Best bet is to get in touch with a good auto engineer. You will need one to sign it all off.

Yes probably best having a chat before making solid plans.

If any one has a recommendation of a decent auto engineer who would give me some advice (paid for obviously) I'd appreciate it. Dublin / Wicklow / Kildare area preferably so that I can deal with the same person start to finish.

Advertisement