Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One for the snag list

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

You should have a word about the plastering as well, did he trowel it up with a paint brush

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So if a socket was put on the ceiling then it would be the OPs fault for not specifically saying no ceiling sockets? Cuz I can hardly think of a worse place to put a socket besides an inch under a windowsill. The whole thing looks awful, it's not even my gaff and I want to rip it all out.

I've seen loads of sockets in ceilings, people now mount projectors or other stuff high up and running the cables up the wall is as bad.

The OP definitely looks like a bad setup but as with most things posted on the internet we only see a tiny part of the whole setup and have no idea what other obstructions, if any, the sparks had to work around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Are the sockets not level for a reason? So that the condensation can run off the sockets...

A 3ft level problem solved.

I purchased a Bosch lazer lever and tripod a few years back, well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Maybe the window is in after the sockets:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Should be easy enough to rectify, have a word with him, he ll probably move it for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

So if a socket was put on the ceiling then it would be the OPs fault for not specifically saying no ceiling sockets?
    The ceiling won't be at a height not exceeding 1200mm and therefore would constitute a rule breach if it was for a general purpose socket-outlet.

If you honestly believe that it is responsible to state x number of socket-outlets etc. without ever considering and discussing the location of them then you are deluded. I'm not defending the Electrician for not seeking to clarify the positioning either - I'm simply correctly pointing out that the OP is equally to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

whatever about it being against regulations, you don't need to be an electrician to see it looks absolutely bizarre.

Have you ever gone to someone's house and asked wear to plug something in and be told 'At the windowsill'?

There shouldn't be any wires near a window, not just because of them getting wet, it's where you look out to enjoy a view of the outside and wires nearby ruins that. And outside of the kitchen you never see sockets placed above where an appliance would be.

The expression 'that's a bit Irish' is the result of people doing this type of crap all the time, you shouldn't have to specify not to make a complete balls of it in this fashion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

whatever about it being against regulations, you don't need to be an electrician to see it looks absolutely bizarre.

Have you ever gone to someone's house and asked wear to plug something in and be told 'At the windowsill'?

There shouldn't be any wires near a window, not just because of them getting wet, it's where you look out to enjoy a view of the outside and wires nearby ruins that. And outside of the kitchen you never see sockets placed above where an appliance would be.

The expression 'that's a bit Irish' is the result of people doing this type of crap all the time, you shouldn't have to specify not to make a complete balls of it in this fashion

The fact remains that if you're having work done but don't bother to clarify any of the locations etc. then you have acted in a completely irresponsible manner and must accept some of the blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Risteard81 wrote: »
    The fact remains that if you're having work done but don't bother to clarify any of the locations etc. then you have acted in a completely irresponsible manner and must accept some of the blame.

I accept none of the blame and thankfully the builder agrees with me that it’s unacceptable.

This is not a new build as I pointed out. It’s refitting existing sockets after new plasterboard was fitted. Old socket locations were perfect and were removed by the same electrician.

The only question I asked in the OP was if it was against regs. I’m not naive to the point where I would accept this kind of crap.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

hesker wrote:
    The only question I asked in the OP was if it was against regs. I’m not naive to the point where I would accept this kind of crap.

Hesker you are correct.

A client not dictating the position of devices does not mean a tradesperson can ignore the regulations and install items wherever they want.

I'm unaware of a regulation that prevents the installation of a socket under a window.

Obviously a socket can be installed to the current regulations, but in a less than ideal position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭SC024

Rather than wait for the snag list would you not request it be moved now before the place is painted? other wise painter will have to paint the whole wall again? plaster will have to patch & you'll be waiting then for that to dry fully before painter can do the wall ?

or is that a bit logical ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

SC024 wrote: »
    Rather than wait for the snag list would you not request it be moved now before the place is painted? other wise painter will have to paint the whole wall again? plaster will have to patch & you'll be waiting then for that to dry fully before painter can do the wall ?

or is that a bit logical ?

Forget about snag list. That was just a turn of phrase. There is no snag list. This is a small job.

Mods can you close this thread please.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

hesker wrote: »
    Mods can you close this thread please.

Done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement