Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One for the snag list

Options
  • 03-09-2019 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭

Will be taking this up with the builder. But interested to hear what if any regs this might violate apart from it being just plain stupid.

I have been told a reci cert will be provided at completion.

489833.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

It might help if you were to tell us what precisely it is that you are objecting to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭hesker

Is it not unsafe to put a socket directly under a window board where there might be condensation run off.

Is it not pretty stupid to place sockets where you would expect curtains to be hung.

There is ample room to the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Bit random with the leveling as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That looks awful

Bruthal wrote: »
    Bit random with the leveling as well.

Agreed, but clearly that wasn't the issue at stake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Judging by that, I'd be concerned with other parts of the house and the stuff you can't see.
    That's lazy as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

hesker wrote:
    Is it not unsafe to put a socket directly under a window board where there might be condensation run off.

Do you get condensation on modern windows?

I'd be more concerned about curtains covering a phone charger plugged in than condensation.

I have no idea what the wiring regulations say about it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

I hope whoever did this has now retired...:eek:

On a related possible pointer, for multiple socket back boxes in a line going onto brick, length of 2x1 wood, screwed up level, sit back boxes on it before drilling into brick.

Awful craftsmanship

• Advertisement

Awful craftsmanship

I remember a poster saying that leveling the box screws was ocd before. But from what ye see these days, installing level and neat seems to be ocd for many as well.

So does it breach any regs?

I’m referring to the location of the socket on the left but none are great.

I remember a poster saying that leveling the box screws was ocd before.
    It's not that unusual. Even some specifications require the screw heads to be parallel.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    It's not that unusual. Even some specifications require the screw heads to be parallel.

Well i didnt actually agree with the opinion myself. Its something I do.

hesker wrote: »
    So does it breach any regs?

I’m referring to the location of the socket on the left but none are great.

I dont think it does. But I wouldnt put them there myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Dublin Airport terminal 2. All socket screwheads to be left parallel :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Doesn’t breach any regs but it’s a terrible position to place sockets.

Did you give the electrician free run to place sockets/switches wherever they saw fit? Or did you give any indication as to where you would like them?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

I have put them at that height before to be used above a desk

Doesn’t breach any regs but it’s a terrible position to place sockets.

Did you give the electrician free run to place sockets/switches wherever they saw fit? Or did you give any indication as to where you would like them?

It’s part of a refit. Same number of sockets being installed after new plasteboard fitted. Old locations were perfect.

No I didn’t spell out exact location but I didn’t expect him to pick a completely stupid location either. More fool me.

Was hoping there was a reg breach in case builder wants to argue.

But jeez almighty you shouldn’t have to spell out this stuff for what should be routine work.

It’s part of a refit. Same number of sockets being installed after new plasteboard fitted. Old locations were perfect.

No I didn’t spell out exact location but I didn’t expect him to pick a completely stupid location either. More fool me.

Was hoping there was a reg breach in case builder wants to argue.

But jeez almighty you shouldn’t have to spell out this stuff for what should be routine work.

If you didn't agree locations beforehand then frankly I believe the blame is very largely with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

To be fair regardless of weather or not you have him the locations I (Being an electrician) would still never have put them in that position. Common sense should have prevailed here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

At least he used a pencil to draw a line before carefully creating the opening in the plasterboard with a hammer...

Good thing he paid his REC tax so all is ok. :mad:

I'd be fuming with that workmanship.

Well i didnt actually agree with the opinion myself. Its something I do.

As do I.

To be fair regardless of weather or not you have him the locations I (Being an electrician) would still never have put them in that position. Common sense should have prevailed here

Most wouldn't I would hope. But if the OP never bothered to agree where things should go then it's a bit rich to blame everyone else after the fact.

I think they're both at fault.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Risteard81 wrote:
    As do I.

I got lashed here years ago for suggesting same.

I'm still recovering from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Should you not have caught this earlier on in the build stage?

On my own build, after marking socket placements up for my electrician, the builder did the chasing really badly.
    Electrician didn't care, just put the sockets on as quick as he could.
    Had a major falling out over it and got "barred" from the site for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gashmuncher

Will be taking this up with the builder. But interested to hear what if any regs this might violate apart from it being just plain stupid.

I have been told a reci cert will be provided at completion.

489833.JPG

Have a look at page 11 here
    https://safeelectric.ie/contractors/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/09/2016may_news.pdf
    Rule 554.1.1. Particularly the height limit for general purpose sockets.
    The top surface of the sockets should not exceed 1200mm.
    Also check electrical contractor is listed on the register here https://safeelectric.ie/find-an-electrician/

That's lower than 1200

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Most wouldn't I would hope. But if the OP never bothered to agree where things should go then it's a bit rich to blame everyone else after the fact.

Hmm you'd expect a professional to have a bit more kop on really. Bit much to try to share the blame for quite clearly substandard workmanship.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

So if a socket was put on the ceiling then it would be the OPs fault for not specifically saying no ceiling sockets? Cuz I can hardly think of a worse place to put a socket besides an inch under a windowsill. The whole thing looks awful, it's not even my gaff and I want to rip it all out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement