Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One for the snag list

• 03-09-2019 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

Will be taking this up with the builder. But interested to hear what if any regs this might violate apart from it being just plain stupid.

I have been told a reci cert will be provided at completion.

489833.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

It might help if you were to tell us what precisely it is that you are objecting to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭hesker

Is it not unsafe to put a socket directly under a window board where there might be condensation run off.

Is it not pretty stupid to place sockets where you would expect curtains to be hung.

There is ample room to the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Bit random with the leveling as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That looks awful

Bruthal wrote: »
    Bit random with the leveling as well.

Agreed, but clearly that wasn't the issue at stake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Judging by that, I'd be concerned with other parts of the house and the stuff you can't see.
    That's lazy as hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

hesker wrote:
    Is it not unsafe to put a socket directly under a window board where there might be condensation run off.

Do you get condensation on modern windows?

I'd be more concerned about curtains covering a phone charger plugged in than condensation.

I have no idea what the wiring regulations say about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

I hope whoever did this has now retired...:eek:

On a related possible pointer, for multiple socket back boxes in a line going onto brick, length of 2x1 wood, screwed up level, sit back boxes on it before drilling into brick.

Awful craftsmanship

• Advertisement

Awful craftsmanship

I remember a poster saying that leveling the box screws was ocd before. But from what ye see these days, installing level and neat seems to be ocd for many as well.

So does it breach any regs?

I’m referring to the location of the socket on the left but none are great.

I remember a poster saying that leveling the box screws was ocd before.
    It's not that unusual. Even some specifications require the screw heads to be parallel.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    It's not that unusual. Even some specifications require the screw heads to be parallel.

Well i didnt actually agree with the opinion myself. Its something I do.

hesker wrote: »
    So does it breach any regs?

I’m referring to the location of the socket on the left but none are great.

I dont think it does. But I wouldnt put them there myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Dublin Airport terminal 2. All socket screwheads to be left parallel :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Doesn’t breach any regs but it’s a terrible position to place sockets.

Did you give the electrician free run to place sockets/switches wherever they saw fit? Or did you give any indication as to where you would like them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

I have put them at that height before to be used above a desk

Doesn’t breach any regs but it’s a terrible position to place sockets.

Did you give the electrician free run to place sockets/switches wherever they saw fit? Or did you give any indication as to where you would like them?

It’s part of a refit. Same number of sockets being installed after new plasteboard fitted. Old locations were perfect.

No I didn’t spell out exact location but I didn’t expect him to pick a completely stupid location either. More fool me.

Was hoping there was a reg breach in case builder wants to argue.

But jeez almighty you shouldn’t have to spell out this stuff for what should be routine work.

It’s part of a refit. Same number of sockets being installed after new plasteboard fitted. Old locations were perfect.

No I didn’t spell out exact location but I didn’t expect him to pick a completely stupid location either. More fool me.

Was hoping there was a reg breach in case builder wants to argue.

But jeez almighty you shouldn’t have to spell out this stuff for what should be routine work.

If you didn't agree locations beforehand then frankly I believe the blame is very largely with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭maxamillius

To be fair regardless of weather or not you have him the locations I (Being an electrician) would still never have put them in that position. Common sense should have prevailed here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

At least he used a pencil to draw a line before carefully creating the opening in the plasterboard with a hammer...

Good thing he paid his REC tax so all is ok. :mad:

I'd be fuming with that workmanship.

Well i didnt actually agree with the opinion myself. Its something I do.

As do I.

To be fair regardless of weather or not you have him the locations I (Being an electrician) would still never have put them in that position. Common sense should have prevailed here

Most wouldn't I would hope. But if the OP never bothered to agree where things should go then it's a bit rich to blame everyone else after the fact.

I think they're both at fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Risteard81 wrote:
    As do I.

I got lashed here years ago for suggesting same.

I'm still recovering from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Should you not have caught this earlier on in the build stage?

On my own build, after marking socket placements up for my electrician, the builder did the chasing really badly.
    Electrician didn't care, just put the sockets on as quick as he could.
    Had a major falling out over it and got "barred" from the site for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭Gashmuncher

Will be taking this up with the builder. But interested to hear what if any regs this might violate apart from it being just plain stupid.

I have been told a reci cert will be provided at completion.

489833.JPG

Have a look at page 11 here
    https://safeelectric.ie/contractors/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/09/2016may_news.pdf
    Rule 554.1.1. Particularly the height limit for general purpose sockets.
    The top surface of the sockets should not exceed 1200mm.
    Also check electrical contractor is listed on the register here https://safeelectric.ie/find-an-electrician/

That's lower than 1200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Most wouldn't I would hope. But if the OP never bothered to agree where things should go then it's a bit rich to blame everyone else after the fact.

Hmm you'd expect a professional to have a bit more kop on really. Bit much to try to share the blame for quite clearly substandard workmanship.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

So if a socket was put on the ceiling then it would be the OPs fault for not specifically saying no ceiling sockets? Cuz I can hardly think of a worse place to put a socket besides an inch under a windowsill. The whole thing looks awful, it's not even my gaff and I want to rip it all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

You should have a word about the plastering as well, did he trowel it up with a paint brush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So if a socket was put on the ceiling then it would be the OPs fault for not specifically saying no ceiling sockets? Cuz I can hardly think of a worse place to put a socket besides an inch under a windowsill. The whole thing looks awful, it's not even my gaff and I want to rip it all out.

I've seen loads of sockets in ceilings, people now mount projectors or other stuff high up and running the cables up the wall is as bad.

The OP definitely looks like a bad setup but as with most things posted on the internet we only see a tiny part of the whole setup and have no idea what other obstructions, if any, the sparks had to work around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Are the sockets not level for a reason? So that the condensation can run off the sockets...

A 3ft level problem solved.

I purchased a Bosch lazer lever and tripod a few years back, well worth it.

Maybe the window is in after the sockets:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Should be easy enough to rectify, have a word with him, he ll probably move it for you

• Advertisement

So if a socket was put on the ceiling then it would be the OPs fault for not specifically saying no ceiling sockets?
    The ceiling won't be at a height not exceeding 1200mm and therefore would constitute a rule breach if it was for a general purpose socket-outlet.

If you honestly believe that it is responsible to state x number of socket-outlets etc. without ever considering and discussing the location of them then you are deluded. I'm not defending the Electrician for not seeking to clarify the positioning either - I'm simply correctly pointing out that the OP is equally to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

whatever about it being against regulations, you don't need to be an electrician to see it looks absolutely bizarre.

Have you ever gone to someone's house and asked wear to plug something in and be told 'At the windowsill'?

There shouldn't be any wires near a window, not just because of them getting wet, it's where you look out to enjoy a view of the outside and wires nearby ruins that. And outside of the kitchen you never see sockets placed above where an appliance would be.

The expression 'that's a bit Irish' is the result of people doing this type of crap all the time, you shouldn't have to specify not to make a complete balls of it in this fashion

whatever about it being against regulations, you don't need to be an electrician to see it looks absolutely bizarre.

Have you ever gone to someone's house and asked wear to plug something in and be told 'At the windowsill'?

There shouldn't be any wires near a window, not just because of them getting wet, it's where you look out to enjoy a view of the outside and wires nearby ruins that. And outside of the kitchen you never see sockets placed above where an appliance would be.

The expression 'that's a bit Irish' is the result of people doing this type of crap all the time, you shouldn't have to specify not to make a complete balls of it in this fashion

The fact remains that if you're having work done but don't bother to clarify any of the locations etc. then you have acted in a completely irresponsible manner and must accept some of the blame.

The fact remains that if you're having work done but don't bother to clarify any of the locations etc. then you have acted in a completely irresponsible manner and must accept some of the blame.

I accept none of the blame and thankfully the builder agrees with me that it’s unacceptable.

This is not a new build as I pointed out. It’s refitting existing sockets after new plasterboard was fitted. Old socket locations were perfect and were removed by the same electrician.

The only question I asked in the OP was if it was against regs. I’m not naive to the point where I would accept this kind of crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

hesker wrote:
    The only question I asked in the OP was if it was against regs. I’m not naive to the point where I would accept this kind of crap.

Hesker you are correct.

A client not dictating the position of devices does not mean a tradesperson can ignore the regulations and install items wherever they want.

I'm unaware of a regulation that prevents the installation of a socket under a window.

Obviously a socket can be installed to the current regulations, but in a less than ideal position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

Rather than wait for the snag list would you not request it be moved now before the place is painted? other wise painter will have to paint the whole wall again? plaster will have to patch & you'll be waiting then for that to dry fully before painter can do the wall ?

or is that a bit logical ?

SC024 wrote: »
    Rather than wait for the snag list would you not request it be moved now before the place is painted? other wise painter will have to paint the whole wall again? plaster will have to patch & you'll be waiting then for that to dry fully before painter can do the wall ?

or is that a bit logical ?

Forget about snag list. That was just a turn of phrase. There is no snag list. This is a small job.

Mods can you close this thread please.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Mods can you close this thread please.

Done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement