Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking to gain muscle/bulk but which program?

• 02-09-2019 4:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭

So I'm not new to the gym but not an expert neither. I'm fairly weak for my height/weight and have excess fats that I'm not happy with but I really want to gain muscle. I know I have to be in a calories surplus to do so.

About me:

28 year old male
    6"2
    103kg

Been taking the gym more serious with compound lifts lately.

I'm comfortable to do 100kg for maybe 8 reps on deadlift and did 130kg the other week for 1 rep(after 5 sets of building up to 110)

I'm comfortable to do 17.5kg each side on the bench press for 10 reps. I think I maxed out at 23.75kg each side for 5 reps before

Military barbell press...I think I maxed out at 12.5kg each side for 5 reps. That would be 22.5kg including the barbell which makes it sound less....light

So you can see, I'm by far no means strong enough for my height/weight.

I'm wondering if I should go back to stronglifts? My goal is to gain muscle, look better etc so wouldn't a hypertrophy workout work best?

Anyway...should I behind a 500 calorie suplus while eating as clean as I can? What % do you recommend for protein, carbs and fat?

Generally just seeking macro advice and which workout to try. 5x5? Hypertrophy? Mixture? Basically any website I visit gives me different opinions and want to sell me a workout program band/or supplements so it's really hard to trust such sites

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,643 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

How is your form with the compounds? Are you confident that your form with squat, bench, deadlift and overhead press is solid?

There's a good amount of free stuff on https://liftvault.com/. The term 'powerbuilding' is a bit wishy washy but it sounds like what you're looking for, i.e. a mix of strength and hypertrophy that isn't necessarily specific to powerlifting or bodybuilding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I'm wondering if I should go back to stronglifts? My goal is to gain muscle, look better etc so wouldn't a hypertrophy workout work best?
    Based on the above I’d look to get stronger before worrying about hypertrophy routines. They will be much more effective when you are deadlifting 200kg.

I’d do some sort of advanced 5x5 if it was me.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Don't forget to factor in the weight of the barbell in order to know exactly how much you're lifting. It's often 20kg but some are lighter/heavier. See if some of the bars are labelled or ask someone working at the gym to make sure.

For example, you were likely doing 55kg for 10 reps (2 x 17.5kg + 20kg barbell).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Don't forget to factor in the weight of the barbell in order to know exactly how much you're lifting. It's often 20kg but some are lighter/heavier. See if some of the bars are labelled or ask someone working at the gym to make sure.

For example, you were likely doing 55kg for 10 reps (2 x 17.5kg + 20kg barbell).

My gym has skinnier bars which are definitely lighter than the others. I try to avoid them.

I've decided I'll start focusing on lifting as heavy as possible and progressing doing compound 5x5 lifts and adding in extras like latt pulldown etc.

I'll start to eat more and try to be in as clean as possible calorie surplus.

My first goal is to do a 150kg deadlift 5x5. I know I can do this in time with focus on lifting heavier for every exercise and eating more than normal.

Just I'm kind of worried that added strength may not lead to added muscle.

Advertisement