Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mollyb & ALC's Walrus

• 21-08-2019 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭

What is Walrus?

Walrus is a game where you select music and other people judge your choices. Walrus has a host/s who selects all the categories and then people submit songs and the host/s judges all the songs in each category. This Walrus will be judged by the wonder couple, me (Mollyb) and Mr Molly, otherwise known as AnLachaCorca. We'll both score songs individually and combine the scores to get a final running list.

Why are we doing this?
    Molly – I love finding new music but the last few years or so I’ve just been lazy and haven’t bothered going to listen to new things. Usually I’ll just listen to whatever music ALC puts on. I used to listen to music constantly when I finished college and started working. I remember the excitement of finding a new band and I would happily listen to the same album till my ears bled (case in point: Arcade Fire’s Funeral) and I miss that.

ALC – Sounds like fun. No other reason really.

What sort of music are we into?
    Molly – I hate saying everything but I’m pretty open minded. It might be easier to say what I don’t like. I’m not a fan of reggae, trad music, hard dance/trance/house type stuff, jazz, super heavy metal, or musical **** (I don’t want a 15 minute song that includes 10 minutes of the musicians just **** over how amazing their guitar playing is or an 8 minute drum solo [see also: jazz]). I love classical music and go to see the orchestra perform quite often (don’t try to make me explain how that doesn’t count as musical ****). Probably my favourite bands of all time are Muse, Foo Fighters, Elbow, The Beatles, Backstreet Boys (not even a little ashamed), Arcade Fire, and The Decemberists.

ALC - I’m into a lot of rock/alternative/indie - think the Beatles, Nirvana, REM and Arcade Fire. I’ll probably lean towards those kind of tunes, but I always have a soft spot for something totally off the wall. I’d love to hear some new stuff so I’ll probably score a decent song that I haven’t heard before higher than a banger that’s been top of the charts.

Categories:
    1. Song released before 1950 – Give us a proper old school song. Something classic that evokes pencil skirts and beehives and blue chevys and glamorous Hollywood.

2. Song from a genre you usually wouldn’t listen to – there’s probably one song you don’t want to love but can’t help yourself. For me there’s a few jazz tunes that I actually like

3. Song to fall asleep to – Something soothing and calm, to de-stress you and make you relax before bed.

4. Song to wake up to – something to get you out of bed and ready for the day.

5. Your Festival song – we’re heading to EP this year so what’s your song of choice to listen to whilst drinking a bag of cans in a field in the rain?

PM your choices (with a link to a video or Spotify) to me before Wednesday the 4th of September. I'll share them with ALC and we’ll spend about 2 weeks listening to the songs. We'd hope to have a reveal thread in mid September.

giphy.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I'm in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

I'll be sending an entry myself. And off to EP too so that one will be listened to next weekend in your honour :)

In!

Although I have yet to find any song that manages to achieve what you're looking for in #4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Songs released before 1950? There were no beehives, in post war, or war-time or before the wars. Just big bands and big time composers and musicals and silly dances :D

The first british hit single didn't happen until 1952. That's a tough category. There was excellent ragtime and jazz though umm and maybe bluegrass :o)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Is pre 1950 confined to the 20th century and "popular music", or could we go back to Green Sleeves?

Not sure if I'll enter, so just more wondering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Pretzill wrote: »
    Songs released before 1950? There were no beehives, in post war, or war-time or before the wars. Just big bands and big time composers and musicals and silly dances :D

The first british hit single didn't happen until 1952. That's a tough category. There was excellent ragtime and jazz though umm and maybe bluegrass :o)
    Yup. Exactly. (beehives are old in my head)
    quickbeam wrote: »
    Is pre 1950 confined to the 20th century and "popular music", or could we go back to Green Sleeves?

Pre 1950 = anything after the big bang up to 1950. Go wild.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Will get an entry in for this today at some point if my poor ickle head can take trawling through a few songs.

Like the categories they're making me think already!

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Yup. Exactly. (beehives are old in my head)

Pre 1950 = anything after the big bang up to 1950. Go wild.

Cool. It's just when you said evoking beehives, pencil skirts, beehives, Hollywood and blue Chevy's that would be hard to do pre 1950.

Cool. It's just when you said evoking beehives, pencil skirts, beehives, Hollywood and blue Chevy's that would be hard to do pre 1950.

Don't quote me on my pre-1950 American knowledge. Go with the category title, not my ramblings after it. :D

And I'm in.

May God have mercy on you all with some of my selections :D

• Advertisement

One more question Molly re: Post big bang track - is it okay to use a newer recording - (my original is 1920's and is a bit squiffy on the ear)

Thanks.

One more question Molly re: Post big bang track - is it okay to use a newer recording - (my original is 1920's and is a bit squiffy on the ear)

Thanks.

Perfectly fine, yeah. You can include the old version too if you want? But I'll use the newer version in my considerations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

In
    Surprising how little room there is in this one for music I'd choose to share with people :D When you're plodding through those link, just remember you brought this on yourself!

In...tough categories, but I thought I better do it quick like ripping off a plaster :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

giphy.gif?cid=790b76116ef5304e824974857ab570c6443453c0446fafde&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

All of my stuff to fall asleep to is either dance music or musical ****

Rikand wrote: »
    All of my stuff to fall asleep to is either dance music or musical ****

I do love some musical **** myself :D

Is that when you fold yourself in half and hum the sax break from Baker Street?
    Doo dooo doooo duh duh doo - de -dooooooooooo!

Banjo wrote: »

Yep. Preferably in private though. Gets awkward when people are watching :pac:

Only if they don't applaud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

In for this. And I'm gonna take my time with my picks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Entry in.

Banjo wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

quickbeam wrote: »

Choon. and i actually have a belter of a version that's from recent centuries. Will send to you post-comp

Finally have my pre 1950's tune and its a belter!

Submission on its way :D

7 Entries in already folks. We're in the final countdown for Electric Picnic so we'll be gearing up to listen to these when we're back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I'll have mine in the next couple of days.

11 entries so far for this Walrus. Sign ups close today so this is fair warning for anyone thinking of entering!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭fixXxer

oh no!!

Midnight??

• Advertisement

Yeah I wont' be a Nazi about a cut off time tbh. If they're in before I get up tomorrow morning (around 7am) that's fine by me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Oh I have mine done just not sent. Will get it to you today :)

Yeah I wont' be a Nazi about a cut off time tbh. If they're in before I get up tomorrow morning (around 7am) that's fine by me.

Thank you benevolent leader :)

What a rollercoaster of emotions. Traveled back in time then fell asleep only to be rudely awoken at EP

Ok folks, that's it. Sign ups are closed. Thanks to the 14 entrants. If some modly modness could change the sign on the door that'd be great. We'll begin our listening journey now and have a reveal thread in about 2 weeks (approximately).

I'm like 95 per cent sure I entered this but must have accidentally deleted my sent PM :(

Ah well guess itll be a surprise for me what I submitted :pac:

• Advertisement

I can assure you you did in fact enter.

Apologies Molly for multiple Dms I've nearly entered twice at this stage.

I had a great piece of musical **** lined up, for you until you mentioned you hate it.

I'm not even sure why I had it in mind for you, internet perceptions can be way off at times :D

Apologies Molly for multiple Dms I've nearly entered twice at this stage.

I had a great piece of musical **** lined up, for you until you mentioned you hate it.

I'm not even sure why I had it in mind for you, internet perceptions can be way off at times :D

I know right. Goes to EP, doesn't like musical ****. It makes like zero sense! :p

If someone lists they don't like some piece of music, I tend to try and submit those pieces of music in the hopes of conversion or at least make the person see that not all of what they hear popularly is the same across an entire genre. Scoring midtable with something outside of the comfort zone means more to me than placing first with a crowd pleaser :)

Yes, I did submit some musical **** and yes, I did submit something electronic lol

Ok folks so we have decisions made on most of the categories so we're probably gonna kick off a reveal tomorrow from 7pm. Hopefully we'll get this rounded out before the WW game starts on Sunday (seeing as how I'm allegedly modding it!) There'll be no reveal on Friday as it's Culture Night and we'll be out playing Street Countdown as usual. :cool:

See you guys tomorrow for the first category - Pre 1950's Song.

YAY!!

Moar Walrus :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Walrus into Werewolf? Wow, good work!

Gutted I didn't have time to sort an entry for this one but I'll be following along with interest :)

Come join us for the Werewolf too EN :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Necro wrote: »
    Come join us for the Werewolf too EN :P

Ah, I'd love to but I wouldn't have the time to do it justice sadly. I don't want to be that frustrating player who disappears for massive chunks of it. One day

Ah, I'd love to but I wouldn't have the time to do it justice sadly. I don't want to be that frustrating player who disappears for massive chunks of it. One day

Usually provides a handy lynch option around Wednesday so don't let that stop you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭kitten_k

All levels of posting are accepted! I don’t post much and I still play

Reveal thread is up and ready to go for tonight.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111272533#post111272533

There'll be no reveal on Friday as it's Culture Night and we'll be out playing Street Countdown as usual. :cool:

Street Countdown sounds intriguing, what is it?

Have you ever seen the IT crowd? There's an episode in it where Moss (nerdy computer geek with poor social skills) competes in a game of underground street countdown. It's very funny. So this guy in Belfast has taken on the concept and gets random passers-by to compete in his homemade version of countdown while he rips the piss out of their terrible efforts. It's like 8 out of 10 cats does Countdown, but live.

Looks like great fun. :D

It's our favourite part of Culture Night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement