Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017-21 help to buy scheme - megathread. All help to buy discussion here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

It may say 25 days but they usually reply within 2-3 days so send them a message..It may push the process as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 stuey89

Hi all, me and my partner are approved for help to buy since last April and is due to expire on December 31st. What I want to know is would I be able to cancel it and reapply in October as I see if you apply for it in October it will keep until March 2020. We want to hold off in buying until the budget and brexit for obvious reasons. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Conor_DNG

Hi, I bought a house, first time buyer, in October. 2017. The house was built in 2010/2011 but unfinished at the time but the developer completed the house for the sale. I am the first owner of the house. The developer is approved under HTB and residents of newly built houses in the estate availed of this scheme. Would qualify as the house is not technically new? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

Hi all,

Would really appreciate if someone could offer advise on the following-If you are building a house- who does the HTB get paid to? Revenue sayes:

"If you self-build the property after 1 January 2017, the refund will be paid to a bank account you hold with your loan provider."

My mortgage broker was unsure but believed that the HTB is paid directly off the mortgage (i'm really hoping this is not true). I'm getting mixed information online.

If anyone could clarify, i would be really grateful

Many Thanks, Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Got my loan pack today from the bank. Do I just need to upload the letter of approval along with signed contracts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭stoves1

My partner and i are putting a deposit on a new build house, we were abroad for a few years and are working and paying tax since jan 2019 total paid to now by both circa 9000eu, i cannot register for the HTB as it requires the previous years taxes paid, Is there any advice on how we can claim the HTB. if not any other advice as to our options please

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

stoves1 wrote: »
    My partner and i are putting a deposit on a new build house, we were abroad for a few years and are working and paying tax since jan 2019 total paid to now by both circa 9000eu, i cannot register for the HTB as it requires the previous years taxes paid, Is there any advice on how we can claim the HTB. if not any other advice as to our options please

Unless the HTB is extended and I'll purchase next year, probably not a lot iou can do unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Billythekid19

Have successfully applied for HTB and given an access code , how do I find out how much exactly revenue will be giving me?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Have successfully applied for HTB and given an access code , how do I find out how much exactly revenue will be giving me?
    If you log into the application on revenue.ie, you can view the application details and it'll tell you the max amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

we recently bought a house - on the contract i saw the name of the developer, and the company does not appear on the HTB list of developers. does that disqualify me from the scheme?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

murfilein wrote: »
    we recently bought a house - on the contract i saw the name of the developer, and the company does not appear on the HTB list of developers. does that disqualify me from the scheme?

They need to be registered, they could be under another name. ask them they'll know

So on Revenue they tell me I qualify for 5% to the max amount of 20k. So will I get 5% of the value of the house or 5% of the value of the mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

5% of the house

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Ok so I have uploaded the documents and got a claim code. Sent the code to the developer but they said they also need a password. I have not received any password just the claim code.

Edit- pretty sure it’s the access code

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

As we're just beginning the process of mortgage application, this was an unwelcome headline this morning: Government to consider lowering HTB scheme cap.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/government-to-consider-lowering-help-to-buy-scheme-cap-1.4042052?mode=amp

The Government’s help-to-buy scheme will be modified so that “couples who can already well afford to buy” will not be unfairly subsidised, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said.

It is expected that an altered version of the incentive will form part of Tuesday’s budget following talks between Fine Gael, Fianna Fáil and the Independent Alliance.

All parties have agreed that the scheme, which offers tax rebates of up to €20,000 to first-time buyers purchasing a new build worth up to €500,000, should continue. It had been due to end in December.

The Government has been examining lowering the cap from €500,000 to somewhere between €250,000 to €300,000. A senior source said there are still “mixed views” on the proposals but it is hoped that lowering the cap will incentivise developers to build more affordable homes in this price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

A Neurotic wrote: »
    As we're just beginning the process of mortgage application, this was an unwelcome headline this morning: Government to consider lowering HTB scheme cap.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/government-to-consider-lowering-help-to-buy-scheme-cap-1.4042052?mode=amp

Should only take effect in Jan - so if you can get the approval done now

• Registered Users Posts: 35 SelfBuild2019

What is the trigger for HTB approval? I have been approved on the initial application through ROS, but given the news that the terms are likely to change from 2020 on, I'm just wondering at what stage someone would have to be at to avail of the 2019 conditions. Hoping for planning approval in the next couple of weeks, and have already done a consultation with a mortgage broker. The broker ran our figures through the various institutions, so we will likely be ready to go to mortgage approval stage once the planning hopefully gets over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

What is the trigger for HTB approval? I have been approved on the initial application through ROS, but given the news that the terms are likely to change from 2020 on, I'm just wondering at what stage someone would have to be at to avail of the 2019 conditions. Hoping for planning approval in the next couple of weeks, and have already done a consultation with a mortgage broker. The broker ran our figures through the various institutions, so we will likely be ready to go to mortgage approval stage once the planning hopefully gets over the line.

You would have to draw down the first tranche of the mortgage before 31 December 2019 to be eligible for the current terms I think. More info here:

https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/documents/htb-summary-applicants.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

tomister wrote: »
    Should only take effect in Jan - so if you can get the approval done now

Would love to know if this is true. Is it not possible they could announce immediate changes to the scheme this week?

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Would love to know if this is true. Is it not possible they could announce immediate changes to the scheme this week?

Whilst I wouldn't put it past our Government, the majority of people who have HTB status now are seeing the cut off date of 31/12/2019 in revenue.ie. there'd be a whole lot of royally pissed off people if they announce something at the budget that takes immediate effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭scabo33

scabo33 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I run my p21s every year and they usually balance out. For this scheme it asked me to submit form 12 and for 2015 it now says I owe 1600 euro and this will be taken out of my tax credits over the next two years. How did this happen? My p21 at the time was fine. My employer I presume is responsible for making sure I pay tax and I’ve never earned more than 30k!

Finally sorted this. It was an error on my employers side. Still stuck on review and called them they told me to wait a few days. Its all luck with who you get on the phone at revenue. I had 2 amazing people but most of them will just fob you off.

Whilst I wouldn't put it past our Government, the majority of people who have HTB status now are seeing the cut off date of 31/12/2019 in revenue.ie. there'd be a whole lot of royally pissed off people if they announce something at the budget that takes immediate effect.

Exactly this. As I've approval until the 31/12/2019 I would imagine it should not come into affect until we are past this date.
    I'm due to sign the contracts this week and submit the claim on Friday. If this was to be an instant change I would be short my deposit

Im buying a new build from a developer and the house is expected to be built in one year. The bank informed me I need to make mortgage payments as soon as the mortgage is drawn down. When typicially does a mortgage be drawn in this scenario?

Im buying a new build from a developer and the house is expected to be built in one year. The bank informed me I need to make mortgage payments as soon as the mortgage is drawn down. When typicially does a mortgage be drawn in this scenario?
    The dwelling needs to be completed by the builder and snagging complete, the bank has to have a valuation done, you have to have a loan offer from same bank and usually a SEPA direct debit mandate (you request your bank to take the mortgage amount from your designated bank account on this date) Your solicitor will request the funds from the bank (drawdown). The first mortgage payment generally falls on the next calendar month, i.e. drawndown date the 12th Feb, the first payment is due 12th March.

Check out AIB's mortgage app, you don't need to go with them but they have a good checklist of everything you'll need.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Where exactly does it give you the specific amount you are eligible for? I have an application and an access number.

Where exactly does it give you the specific amount you are eligible for? I have an application and an access number.

There's 2 ways to get this information:
    1. Go into the Help To Buy section in your MyAccount. You'll see it will state that you have an active application and you can click there to access it. It'll bring up how much you're eligible for.

2. Open My Enquiries and you will have two mails from Revenue. The mail titled "Approved Help To Buy Application" will outline how much you are approved for

Current scheme as it works now extended for two years according to new budget.

Current scheme as it works now extended for two years according to new budget.

Phew!! Can get everything signed off this week without worrying of changes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

How does the HTB scheme work of you were out of the country for a year? I spent time abroad 2018/19 and will have been back working for 7/8 months by the time I would like to apply for the HTB. Before I left I was in full time work for 6 years.

• Advertisement

How does the HTB scheme work of you were out of the country for a year? I spent time abroad 2018/19 and will have been back working for 7/8 months by the time I would like to apply for the HTB. Before I left I was in full time work for 6 years.

It's based on the last 4 paye years. So if you were in full employment for 3 of the last 4 years its likely you'll be entitled to 75 per cent of the amount

Advertisement