Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre workout recommendations

Options
  • 31-12-2018 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi, I know there's no replacement for a good nights sleep and something to eat before a workout but I can't eat in the morning and the dark cold mornings I feel like I need a kick at 6 am, I've never taken one but there are so many on the market, can anyone advise me on what should be included or recommend a brand? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Jarren1

Coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wherearewe45

I use a pre-workout I got on myprotein.ie. Can't remember the name but it has caffeine and beta alanines. Can't remember the actual name but find it great for a good kick at 5:30am

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

Jarren1 wrote: »
    Coffee

Thanks but I hate coffee!!

I use a pre-workout I got on myprotein.ie. Can't remember the name but it has caffeine and beta alanines. Can't remember the actual name but find it great for a good kick at 5:30am

Thanks I'll have a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Start with Beta-alanine, it will give you the pump and get the core temp up. a little creatine added in wouldn't be a bad call either.
    If that doesn't do it for you Chaos Crew Bring the Chaos is a 100% guaranteed kick up the goolies and no nasty crash off it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

OP depends on what you like. some pre workouts are just loaded with stimulants and really high coffee content while others less so.
    There is a huge variance in the pre workout market.

I don't like "hi-stim" pre workouts , generally cos I find concentration difficult with that much stimulation and I generally crash later , despite claims to the contrary by the brand.

Also I would think some of the pre workouts aren't good for your health esp long term.

I also train at 6am and like a lighter effect just to wake me up.

5% nutrition (rich piana's brand) have a pre workout called Kill-It which has only caffeine as a stimulant (250mg) which I found decent. It's available in most supplement shops in Ireland.

https://www.rich-piana.com/en/kill-it-all-in-one-pre-training-drink

I've also used bulkpowders preworkouts

https://www.bulkpowders.ie/complete-pre-workout-advanced.html
    https://www.bulkpowders.ie/elevate-zero.html

and discount supplements
    https://www.discountsupplements.ie/supreme-nutrition/supreme-nutrition-pre-igniter-20-500g-20-off

and found them all decent enough.

I've tried other - usually from samples and friends and didn't like them at all anything with over 250mg of caffeine isn't for me .
    That said some friends love the high stim ones but I've little experience with them.

As I haven't eaten when training , I usually take an intra workout drink of
    cyclic dextrins (fast acting carbs) and EAAs which I find has a good effect on my training and recovery also.
    Probably not necessary if you've eaten but I've generally not eaten for up to 12hours at that stage.

paw patrol wrote: »
    OP depends on what you like. some pre workouts are just loaded with stimulants and really high coffee content while others less so.
    There is a huge variance in the pre workout market.

I don't like "hi-stim" pre workouts , generally cos I find concentration difficult with that much stimulation and I generally crash later , despite claims to the contrary by the brand.

Also I would think some of the pre workouts aren't good for your health esp long term.

I also train at 6am and like a lighter effect just to wake me up.

5% nutrition (rich piana's brand) have a pre workout called Kill-It which has only caffeine as a stimulant (250mg) which I found decent. It's available in most supplement shops in Ireland.

https://www.rich-piana.com/en/kill-it-all-in-one-pre-training-drink

I've also used bulkpowders preworkouts

https://www.bulkpowders.ie/complete-pre-workout-advanced.html
    https://www.bulkpowders.ie/elevate-zero.html

and discount supplements
    https://www.discountsupplements.ie/supreme-nutrition/supreme-nutrition-pre-igniter-20-500g-20-off

and found them all decent enough.

I've tried other - usually from samples and friends and didn't like them at all anything with over 250mg of caffeine isn't for me .
    That said some friends love the high stim ones but I've little experience with them.

As I haven't eaten when training , I usually take an intra workout drink of
    cyclic dextrins (fast acting carbs) and EAAs which I find has a good effect on my training and recovery also.
    Probably not necessary if you've eaten but I've generally not eaten for up to 12hours at that stage.

Thanks i appreciate your help!

stecleary wrote: »
    Start with Beta-alanine, it will give you the pump and get the core temp up. a little creatine added in wouldn't be a bad call either.
    If that doesn't do it for you Chaos Crew Bring the Chaos is a 100% guaranteed kick up the goolies and no nasty crash off it

Thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Why not make your own. Can bulk buy cheaper and mix. A good combo would be Citrulline Malate and Caffeine. You can add the likes of Beta Alanine etc but these I tend to recommend taking separately given they are cumulative supplements rather than having any significant immediate impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I found Bulk powders Elevate very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Acey10 wrote: »
    Hi, I know there's no replacement for a good nights sleep and something to eat before a workout

a 100% agree on the sleep, more as a question but I seem to hear plenty of people doing fasted workouts, so I wouldn’t beat yourself up if you don’t like eating in the morning before a workout

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Why not make your own. Can bulk buy cheaper and mix. A good combo would be Citrulline Malate and Caffeine. You can add the likes of Beta Alanine etc but these I tend to recommend taking separately given they are cumulative supplements rather than having any significant immediate impact.

Agree on this, i make my own with creatine, caffeine, Beta Alanine, BCAA's and Citrulline Malate, mix with water and a couple of flavor drops and you are good to go. Much cheaper than buying any of the branded ones.

Thanks everyone, in relation to making your own how to you know the right quantities!??

Acey10 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, in relation to making your own how to you know the right quantities!??

Takes a bit of research but worth it as what you will find with alot of products is that they are over priced and underdosesed so you end up with a more effective supplement for cheaper

https://examine.com/supplements/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Beta alanine has a horrible tingling side effect.
    If you don’t like coffee, then take a caffeine tablet

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Beta alanine has a horrible tingling side effect.
    If you don’t like coffee, then take a caffeine tablet

maybe im weird but i actually kinda like the tingling effect......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Bought the Myprotein one before. It recommended 1-2 scoops; 1 to start off with and work up to 2 once you get used to it. The first and only time I used it, my heart was pounding while doing my stretches. Before I even reached a working squat set, I felt like I was going to die and had to just sit there and try to contain myself.

That one experience alone freaked me out. Might give pre workout a second try at some point, but start with less than a scoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭kod12

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    Agree on this, i make my own with creatine, caffeine, Beta Alanine, BCAA's and Citrulline Malate, mix with water and a couple of flavor drops and you are good to go. Much cheaper than buying any of the branded ones.

where is the best place to buy these in bulk and do you just mix them all in one tub then rather than making it from scratch every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Fine to make your own but be careful measuring out the caffeine powder.
    Overdose can result in horrible nausea, vomiting...and even death :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

By the way, what is pre workout for exactly? I know what it does, but I'm curious why people take it and for what kind of training. It would obviously help for morning training, but do people take it just for hypertrophy work? Anybody use it for strength work or cardio?

Could probably answer this with a google, but as the thread is open...

• Advertisement

By the way, what is pre workout for exactly? I know what it does, but I'm curious why people take it and for what kind of training. It would obviously help for morning training, but do people take it just for hypertrophy work? Anybody use it for strength work or cardio?

Could probably answer this with a google, but as the thread is open...

Depends on who you ask I guess. for me Personally;

I have only started supplementing properly (spent the last 4 months getting the diet in order first as they training was building up)

Personally I only use a pre workout (Caffeine and Citrulline Malate combo) for my gym sessions (which are early morning as they supplement my Athletics training) and my high intensity run workouts)

Creatine,Beta Alanine and l carnitine combo is taking separately daily due to the cumulative loading of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 abc2304

Reps4jesus wrote: »
    maybe im weird but i actually kinda like the tingling effect......

me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 abc2304

If you're a stim-junkie like myself, try Chaos Crew Supplements. Their original 'Bring the Chaos' is a hard-hitter but their latest 'Stim Haad' is an absolute mind-blower - not for the faint hearted!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

abc2304 wrote: »
    not for the faint hearted!

Literally

Advertisement