Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Ferrex table saw out tomorrow 15th October

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

JayZeus wrote: »
    I understand that perspective Tony, been there myself when funds are short. If you can make it work for you and you're alright with the additional risks inherent in using a table saw as bad as it is, that's fair enough I suppose.

It's still a dangerous piece of crap saw though. I'd rather cut everything with a builders handsaw than use one. Especially for non-essential hobby stuff. Just not worth the risks.
    I just don't see how it is anymore dangerous than other table saws from personal experience. Granted I've never used another tablesaw but it's not like the blade is going to fly off and cut me in half or anything.
    Ive used the saw for lots of different projects, I've never had any kickback incidences. It produces clean repeatable straight cuts for the most part.
    The guy in that video clearly needs to learn how to use a tablesaw, my god he is stupid but I'm just not seeing how it is so dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Oh i just watched a bit of that video and realised it's about the portable saw which is different to the original saw but still if you use it properly i dont see the dangers myself.

In case anyone's looking for a way into having an affordable tablesaw that's hands down better than the Lidl/Aldi 'stuff', this is an excellent design:

The addition of a riving knife would be recommended, but overall, it's a good looking setup and in particular the fence system is easily built and shouldn't be beyond most peoples ability to make.

That basic design, mounted to a cabinet loaded with some ballast would better most of the €250-300 saw options out there, IMHO. A circular saw, a drill and a jigsaw gets you most of the way to building it. Even the router isn't required if you use 1/2" ply and double it up for the top. I reckon a savvy shopper would put it together for €150 all-in with a good used Makita or similar type 190/210mm saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

I have used for a long time this sort of clamp/ guide on my table saw. Not the best set up but did the job. This are Lidls Parkside clamps guides. I think they were about E12

uagWcGaaG9sbimjn2TCHOXkv_iFsbXh8MjScOVcmYbtOjxCijWnZaNH5U1A39R-E9djtbHOJxg4BNGJdDbm9u3G-1NRTRsUmJzKxr9BIGsF9m5yr-yclSlLioyD1JYwWsSgf5U4

jxtm_2cXbLf39lO2NYK_pcDrD32BYSQHqUiYGFdf-6IJCDeNdfuM97uObwBTvW0geHf3XWNFzblkld3FWBZEd9FS2Ubauds2dwji8GhgoxRrYFBqyjgnmlOtjNhZeh8jONYG9pY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭boomdocker

'Magic wrote:
    =);115002378']I'm not sure if I ever used the 40T after I got it. But it would be.
    I always used 24t for ripping on table saw and 60t on mitre saw full time.

They're decent blades. I did a bit of research before I got them and many recommended them. Price was important too so when I came across that deal i got them. I recently resharpened them and they cut like new.

Just an fyi

Tried to get the Freud blades from the usual suppliers here but couldn't get what I wanted
    Eventually found the pair (24t/40t) at toolstop.co.uk - for €50 delivered via addresspal, whish is way cheaper than anywhere here

• Advertisement
Advertisement