Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If there was no IRA....

Options
  • 08-07-2020 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I have personally started to enjoy Irish politics, I honestly can't abide Sinn Fein I disagree with the policies and I don't think the sums add up. That aside I have been thinking what would life be like if the IRA never existed would we have peace today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Likely we'd still be under British occupation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I have personally started to enjoy Irish politics, I honestly can't abide Sinn Fein I disagree with the policies and I don't think the sums add up. That aside I have been thinking what would life be like if the IRA never existed would we have peace today.

No IRA there'd possibly still be civil rights marches happening in NI today, possibly mirroring BLM. Catholics being treated as second class citizens, overlooked for jobs, attacked and assaulted. FF/FG/Labour completely ignoring what was going on up the road. British collusion still happening with loyalist gangs. Possibly more bombs like Dublin/Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Depends which version of the IRA you refer to.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rdwight

If there had been no IRA we would probably be 5-10 years away from a United Ireland as dictated by demographics.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

We'd all be supporting supporting British sports teams and watching British TV channels and shows and drinking tea while complaining about the weather all day.

• Advertisement

Way too broad a question.

One could argue that without the IRA we wouldn't have peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

I have been thinking what would life be like if the IRA never existed .

There would be a lot more people walking around today instead of 'dissapeared'!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

We have peace today, what are you on about? What’s up with their policies exactly? Just a general kind of I don’t like them thing is it

• Registered Users Posts: 18 gossipgirl123

If we had peaceful marches in the 90s with no IRA would world leaders get involved or did we need the bloodshed.

@TheCitizen.... I don't like Sinn Fein I think they are loudmouthed gob****es who offer nothing. Each to their own but not my type of people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭chicken foot

rdwight wrote: »
    If there had been no IRA we would probably be 5-10 years away from a United Ireland as dictated by demographics.

This is a very, very simplistic view based on your personal opinion of what you view as "the IRA". The six counties were chosen strategically. The quality of the land and the Protestant to Catholic ratio - which was higher there and would allow voting in their favour. But, as with all oppressors, they pushed too far and the people fought back (with absolutely no help from the South i might add). They were subjected to "No Catholics need apply", they were forced out of their homes and were dehumanized completely. Had they of just lay down and took it, you have no idea where the current border would lie today..who's to say they wouldnt have pushed down further into the 26? We will never know but you implying that the IRA slowed the process down is completely down to your own dislike of what they currently represent.

For clarity, the modern day IRA (mid-90's on) are a bunch of drug dealing scumbags who sold out the cause a long time ago..that's not to say they were never needed or that those that went before them weren't essential to protecting catholic lives. Its easy to look back and declare them "terrorists" and what not, but, to me those that do that are kinda like anti-vaxxers. Its all well and good hating on vaccines when you've never physically seen the illnessess first hand. If you never lived in the north, particularly during the worst of times then you really don't have the right to declare what was/wasn't the correct thing to do. We hail those from 1916 as heros - whats the difference to those who fought back in the 60's/70's?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

There would be a lot more people walking around today instead of 'dissapeared'!

We would also still be ruled by the Brits

• Registered Users Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Kylo Ren wrote: »
    We'd all be supporting supporting British sports teams and watching British TV channels and shows and drinking tea while complaining about the weather all day.

I have disagree here. I still think we would have got our independence it just would have taken longer. Maybe it would have happened after WW2 instead of before it. I think if we had of been part of thf British Empire when WW2 happened we would have been bombed by the Germans and we would have got to build our cities the way we want but with underground railway too. I think after it Britain would have pulled out like they did in India and in other Country's they occupied because they could not afford it anymore. The troubles in the North would have been different maybe more like the race wars in America in the 60s or not happen at all unless another group were to fight for freedom like the IRA maybe in a less violent way. Maybe less lifes would have been lost or more lifes would be lost.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

like the Indians and Australians Canadians etc ect ect ,

shinnerbots have nothing to do now that the show funerals are over for the min

I doubt that!

shinnerbots of the internet unite ,

tick them off as they arrive for duty !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

mynamejeff wrote: »
    like the Indians and Australians Canadians etc ect ect ,

shinnerbots have nothing to do now that the show funerals are over for the min

Have Shooting Lessons later and then a zoom call on making bombs

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If there was no IRA....
    /grammar nazi

On topic, in 1916 the Brits were doing a military occupation and needed to be met with military/paramilitary means.

Have Shooting Lessons later and then a zoom call on making bombs

tick

biko wrote: »
    If there was no IRA....
    /grammar nazi

On topic, in 1916 the Brits was doing a military occupation and needed to be met with military/paramilitary means.

Agreed, I assumed the OP was referring to their current incarnation, if I am wrong i apologise, my ire is directed at those scum!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

What would we sing in the pubs late at night?

Which IRA?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

There would be 1700 less lives lost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

physioman wrote: »
    There would be 1700 less lives lost

Would you not consider the lives lost on both sides?

This is a very, very simplistic view based on your personal opinion of what you view as "the IRA". The six counties were chosen strategically. The quality of the land and the Protestant to Catholic ratio - which was higher there and would allow voting in their favour. But, as with all oppressors, they pushed too far and the people fought back (with absolutely no help from the South i might add). They were subjected to "No Catholics need apply", they were forced out of their homes and were dehumanized completely. Had they of just lay down and took it, you have no idea where the current border would lie today..who's to say they wouldnt have pushed down further into the 26? We will never know but you implying that the IRA slowed the process down is completely down to your own dislike of what they currently represent.

For clarity, the modern day IRA (mid-90's on) are a bunch of drug dealing scumbags who sold out the cause a long time ago..that's not to say they were never needed or that those that went before them weren't essential to protecting catholic lives. Its easy to look back and declare them "terrorists" and what not, but, to me those that do that are kinda like anti-vaxxers. Its all well and good hating on vaccines when you've never physically seen the illnessess first hand. If you never lived in the north, particularly during the worst of times then you really don't have the right to declare what was/wasn't the correct thing to do. We hail those from 1916 as heros - whats the difference to those who fought back in the 60's/70's?

Thanks for your response to be honest I dont know much about the troubles. It's only now I am starting to read up on it. It's amazing how life is different within the last 20 odd years.
    I am not saying IRA were wrong by any means us irish were treated badly. The violence used on both sides is unimaginable to me it's very sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hannibal36

Everything would be pretty much the same as it is now except less dead people,all they did was use the common mans genuine grievance to grab power and then behaved just like the British so it would be no different.Is Ryan Tubridy not proof of their power grab.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

If there was no IRA....
    /grammar nazi

On topic, in 1916 the Brits was doing a military occupation and needed to be met with military/paramilitary means.

Grammar Nazi and then followed the 'the Brits was doing' ...tsk, tsk.

Hannibal36 wrote: »
    Everything would be pretty much the same as it is now except less dead people,all they did was use the common mans genuine grievance to grab power and then behaved just like the British so it would be no different.Is Ryan Tubridy not proof of their power grab.

What's the story on Ryan Tubs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If there was no IRA....
    /grammar nazi

the Brits *were* ...

• Advertisement

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Would you not consider the lives lost on both sides?

The question referred to the IRA, not the UVF, VHS, Betamax or any of the others

Advertisement