Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

torrevieja wrote: »
    Im having a prob with a minix 5 just comes on with the logo nothing happens any ideas , the guy i bought it of wasnt realy interested

Sounds like you need to try a factory reset. If that doesn't work then try flashing it.

Try here.. www.minixforum.com/threads/how-do-i-hard-reset-my-minix-x5-how-to-get-in-to-recovery-mode-minix-wont-boot.2664/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭torrevieja

kleefarr wrote: »
    Sounds like you need to try a factory reset. If that doesn't work then try flashing it.

Try here.. http://minixforum.com/threads/how-do-i-hard-reset-my-minix-x5-how-to-get-in-to-recovery-mode-minix-wont-boot.2664/

Thanks Kleefarr i feel if i tried this it would blow up

At least try to reset it.

If no obvious button under it for reset, it'll be in the AV socket. Use a toothpick, not anything metal.

Check out http://www.freaktab.com/ very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭torrevieja

yea did the tooth pick still same

Ok, well it needs flashing then.
    If you don't fancy it find someone that will do it for you.
    I would do it for nothing if you want to post it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

torrevieja wrote: »
    Im having a prob with a minix 5 just comes on with the logo nothing happens any ideas , the guy i bought it of wasnt realy interested

Try here.. www.minixforum.com/threads/how-do-i-hard-reset-my-minix-x5-how-to-get-in-to-recovery-mode-minix-wont-boot.2664/
    or full wipe and firmware flash http://www.minixforum.com/threads/x5-kitkat-250-february-8th-2016.10907/   https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=minix+neo+x5+firmware+upgrade+

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I have two questions

1. How does one get google Play to work on some of the Chinese ones? My Play just loads but nothing happens

2. Does anyone reccomend a Launcher for a TV Box?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

naughtb4 wrote: »
    1. How does one get google Play to work on some of the Chinese ones? My Play just loads but nothing happens
    Sounds like you've an old version of Android on it? Check what version it claims to have on it, via the settings.

the_syco wrote: »
    Sounds like you've an old version of Android on it? Check what version it claims to have on it, via the settings.

Yeah it's version 4.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Yeah it's version 4.0

Probably time to reinvest, higher spec box, latest version of android...Not going to cost too much, why not ?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Nexbox a95x for sale €50

Bought it, but it didn't do what I thought it could do.

Storage: 16gb
    Ram: 2gb

Nexbox a95x for sale €50

Storage: 16gb
    Ram: 2gb

Like this one?

http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_414193.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭BandMember

Does anyone have experience changing the Minix x8h plus to openelec?
    Seeing as it's not compatible with krypton, I'm thinking of switching the Minix over. Is it a straightforward process or will it take a lot of tinkering?

Why would you bother? Krypton has had mixed reviews (to say the least). As you said that you use your box as a "Kodi machine", why don't you try using SPMC instead? I use it on mine and it works like a charm! :D
    colly10 wrote: »
    I'm picking up and android box shortly and going on what I'm reading i'd either go for the Mi or the minix U9.

With the U9 the specs are better and you will able to upgrade the version of android on it with an OTA update, not sure about the U1. So, definitely a U9 for me.
    vibe666 wrote: »
    frankly, i'd be avoiding minix altogether at this point, their users have been crying out for an updated kernel for years for the older boxes, but it's falling on deaf ears. their 'if it's not broke don't fix it' mantra has made a lot of boxes that should be good for years to come pretty much obsolete overnight now that KODI krypton is out, and that would lead me to think they'll do the same again in the future.

I'd agree with most of what you said, but I'm going to pull you up on that one. Minix deliberately held back this back to make sure that it would be compatible with Kodi 17 and, from all the reviews I've seen so far, it seems to work a treat. There's always going to be newer versions of Kodi and newer boxes released, but don't forget that most versions of Kodi are stable for years so, as long as the box lasts, there's no reason or need to worry about it....
    Nexbox a95x for sale €50

Without breaking the rules, I'm just curious, is it possible to say what you thought the box could do?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

BandMember wrote: »
    Why would you bother? Krypton has had mixed reviews (to say the least). As you said that you use your box as a "Kodi machine", why don't you try using SPMC instead? I use it on mine and it works like a charm! :D

Something I wondered about SPMC
    I have an MX3 box.
    Happy as a pig in plop the way it runs and does everything I need.
    I am curious about all this "Need to upgrade" hype to "future proof"
    I have heard that My box wont support Kodi 18 and this is why I was looking at upgrading.
    Then I was told the by using SPMC that my box would run away grand with that.
    So I am thinking of doing a wipe and install SPMC with my favourite extras instead of upgrading.
    Am I thinking this would be fine for me?
    Some "Extras" I use run outside Kodi. Would this still be the same with SPMC?

I know I could answer all these Q's myself by going ahead and trying it, but all is running perfect at the moment and I don't want to rock the boat :)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

vectra wrote: »
    Something I wondered about SPMC
    I have an MX3 box.
    Happy as a pig in plop the way it runs and does everything I need.
    I am curious about all this "Need to upgrade" hype to "future proof"
    I have heard that My box wont support Kodi 18 and this is why I was looking at upgrading.
    Then I was told the by using SPMC that my box would run away grand with that.
    So I am thinking of doing a wipe and install SPMC with my favourite extras instead of upgrading.
    Am I thinking this would be fine for me?

I know I could answer all these Q's myself by going ahead and trying it, but all is running perfect at the moment and I don't want to rock the boat :)

Thanks

You can go ahead and install SPMC alongside your existing Kodi setup.This will not install over your kodi build.
    So you get to try both.

Stay clear of 17 and above for a long time.
    People having nothing but issues with it.

Tried 17 on the nexbox today and even though kodi 17 installed ok and other addons etc installed after doing it I couldn't find anything.
    Was way too busy full of stuff you don't need in my opinion.

Stay clear of 17 and above for a long time.
    People having nothing but issues with it.

Tried 17 on the nexbox today and even though kodi 17 installed ok and other addons etc installed after doing it I couldn't find anything.
    Was way too busy full of stuff you don't need in my opinion.

The addons didn't show because you are probably referring to the non mentionable 3rd party ones!!There's an option needs to be set.That's all I'll say on it.17 works really well.Take time out to read up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Have an MBOX S82 8gig and the sound is gone on it, can only find dead links for flashing. can it go higher than Kitkat?

vectra wrote: »
    Something I wondered about SPMC. I am curious about all this "Need to upgrade" hype to "future proof". I have heard that My box wont support Kodi 18 and this is why I was looking at upgrading.

So I am thinking of doing a wipe and install SPMC with my favourite extras instead of upgrading. Am I thinking this would be fine for me?

Most of us here would be of the "if it ain't broke...." school of thought, but, you have to keep an eye on the future because, gradually, your add ons will no longer be compatible with the older versions of Kodi and your box won't be compatible with the newer versions of Kodi so you'll have to upgrade then. Far too early to wonder about Kodi 18 yet though - sure they've barely finalised v17! v15 & 16 will work fine for a couple of years yet, so don't panic. ;)

I installed SPMC on my box whilst leaving Kodi also installed and it works absolutely perfectly, so there's no need to remove or change anything in your current Kodi set up. However, judging by the mention of "extras" and the question that follows, it's quite clear that you need to do some reading up on things so I will politely point you in the direction of Google as we can't help you anymore here (as per the thread title).
    bazzz wrote: »
    You can go ahead and install SPMC alongside your existing Kodi setup.This will not install over your kodi build.

Yep, that's what I did - works like a charm! :D
    Stay clear of 17 and above for a long time. People having nothing but issues with it. Was way too busy full of stuff you don't need in my opinion.

That's pretty much what I'm hearing as well... I don't like the default skin and the layout seems very cluttered and, as you say, full of stuff that I don't need. I'll be sticking to my plain old Confluence skin as long as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ Actually there's nothing wrong with Kodi 17. I am still using Minix X8-H so sticking with 16.

I have played around with it on laptop. If you dont like the new skin you can go back to the old skin. 17 will look like 16.

Do a google search "kodi 17 revert back to Confluence" - you will find lots of links. Not posting any specific links as some of them refer to "things" not allowed here :)

Another google search for "kodi 17 how to enable third party addons".

Once you enable this - everything works like a charm.

If I have supported box then I will probably use 17 - always like something new to play around with :)

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^ And that, vectra, is why you see so much talk about future proofing and upgrading on this thread! :D :pac::pac::pac:

(Nice post though Coldfire :))

coldfire1x wrote: »
    ^^ Actually there's nothing wrong with Kodi 17. I am still using Minix X8-H so sticking with 16.

I have played around with it on laptop. If you dont like the new skin you can go back to the old skin. 17 will look like 16.

Do a google search "kodi 17 revert back to Confluence" - you will find lots of links. Not posting any specific links as some of them refer to "things" not allowed here :)

Another google search for "kodi 17 how to enable third party addons".

Once you enable this - everything works like a charm.

If I have supported box then I will probably use 17 - always like something new to play around with :)

I had done the unknown sources thing.

I had done the unknown sources thing.

Yep and that's as far as you need to discuss it here.;) You should be good to do whatever you want.

Of course, now I am using the NEXBOX A95X B7N I discover it is suffering from the dark video issue. Researching fixes now.

Of course, now I am using the NEXBOX A95X B7N I discover it is suffering from the dark video issue. Researching fixes now.

There's a very easy fix for that....i believe.I don't think I could post the link here.It involves using a file explorer(possibly already factory installed) and adding a small video file,to a system folder.

Google dark video NEXBOX A95X B7N and it'll probably be the top hit;)

bazzz wrote: »
    There's a very easy fix for that....i believe.I don't think I could post the link here.It involves using a file explorer(possibly already factory installed) and adding a small video file,to a system folder.

Google dark video NEXBOX A95X B7N and it'll probably be the top hit;)

Yeah seen that, but also another that apparently stays on even when unplugged, with the video one doesn't as it runs every time you turn the box on.

Anyone have an issue with Kodi when pausing

On playing again the sound continues but the video stays paused

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Peckham

There was a similar question on this matter on this thread a good while ago, but asking again in case anyone has more up to date insights.

I have an “old” (i.e. 6 or 7 years old) Sony Bravia (KDL-40EX402). It’s a decent spec TV and full HD with HDMI inputs, but has a known problem with HDMI which means that it struggles with colour schemes, and gives intermittent problems with the screen adopting a purple/blue haze. Doesn’t happen all the time, but happens enough for it to be very annoying.

The only way to fix it is to set the input device to “Force RGB”. I do this in the settings of my Virgin Media box for example.

I recently purchased an Android box (MXQ-Pro), but this doesn’t allow me to change this setting.

I’ve done a google search to find out which boxes do allow this setting to be changed, but while I find a lot of people with similar problems, I can’t find a conclusive answer as to which box allows this. It seems to depend on Firmware updates for example.

Does anyone else have this same problem, and have it solved, or know of a box that will work?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

BandMember wrote: »
    I'd agree with most of what you said, but I'm going to pull you up on that one. Minix deliberately held back this back to make sure that it would be compatible with Kodi 17 and, from all the reviews I've seen so far, it seems to work a treat. There's always going to be newer versions of Kodi and newer boxes released, but don't forget that most versions of Kodi are stable for years so, as long as the box lasts, there's no reason or need to worry about it....
    it doesn't bother me that they've held back until Krypton came out, it bothers me that they've thrown their long time faithful users under the bus unless they want to buy a new box.

there's plenty of older high end (when they were new) Minix boxes that run rings around most midrange boxes even now in terms of specs, but they're not going to get upgraded and they won't be getting krypton or leah, despite their boxes being plenty fast enough on the hardware side to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Anyone see the upcoming Premier League block on Kodi as causing an issue ?

Advertisement