Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭jeffk

eamonnq wrote:
    You appeared to have ruled it out due to the camera issues, but then went ahead and bought it ?

The camera i could live with, it's a mobile phone, not a camera, only so good you'll ever get it

If you read my long post, it's all battery issues, that's why I wanted a refund.

No matter where you get a phone, who made it etc. Using it from 100 to 0 and then charge back to 100 is a basic thing, not a special feature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

jeffk wrote: »
    Im just leaving the feedback so others don’t get stung

Elephone, Huawei, didn’t matter, do as they say, then phone % would go all over the place

The laughy faces meant I was joking.:pac:

The laughy faces meant I was joking.

Ah I know that :) , I'm just saying done it all to get it working.

Would like to think people see my post as feedback and help when deciding before buying

The camera i could live with, it's a mobile phone, not a camera, only so good you'll ever get it

If you read my long post, it's all battery issues, that's why I wanted a refund.

No matter where you get a phone, who made it etc. Using it from 100 to 0 and then charge back to 100 is a basic thing, not a special feature

I wouldnt rule out another Chinese phone, ill never get another Elephone again due to the battery problems, I would advise to get a Jiayu or Lenovo and maybe try a different seller as I know a few on here dont like Etotalk, I use them because I'm impatient and they ship within 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭savemejebus

It's a shame that you had such hassles that it's put you off buying another Chinese phone. I'm pretty happy with my P6000. For under €145 it has been a good fast phone that totally blows my previous android phone (moto G 2014) out of the water.

Sure it's not perfect, it does take a bit longer to charge (I use an iphone charger as i'd read that the elephone one was crap) but with moderate use I get 2 days out of it (probably 2 hours of calls, lots of texts & whatsapps) and on heavy usage days i'd end up with 25-30% as i'm going to bed. The camera is not great but moving way from the stock app helped that and once i took off the factory installed screen protector and put on a glass one any issues i had with the screen disappeared.

Incidentally, my one arrived very well packaged and in a nice Elephone box, if it had come in a plain brown box i'd probably have been super disgusted too
    7C6K7H_thumb.jpg

The biggest problem is that now i find myself looking at more Chinese phones looking for the next upgrade...

8vpS9S_thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ayhar12

Found this thread while searching for my android phone problem.

Bought Lenove s720 a year ago from Merimobiles. Back then I didn't do much research, just thought I could get a better deal from Chinese seller so I did.

I didn't want to risk too much so I settled for under $100 phone without checking specs so on.

Then the phone arrived, excited, but there have been a numerous questions asked to the tech service such as how to set the phone with English.

As the phone is not popular, there aren't much rom available either. In the end I managed to set the phone to be able to use in English, but it still show "low memory" just doing a simple stuff. ( and I was told 525 mb is too low for today's apps)

Yes Its time consuming and frustrating, but in the meanwhile, I have learned a lot and even came across this thread!

(Although I am still not happy with my Lenovo phone, recently my daughter got Doogee phone and its a lot better phone, cheaper and reliable. No bloat ware, set in English from the start)

And off course I am looking into my next phone from China!

8vpS9S_thumb.jpg

Elephone send phones like that try avoid customs, it worked once for me.

Ayhar12 wrote: »
    Found this thread while searching for my android phone problem.

Bought Lenove s720 a year ago from Merimobiles. Back then I didn't do much research, just thought I could get a better deal from Chinese seller so I did.

I didn't want to risk too much so I settled for under $100 phone without checking specs so on.

Then the phone arrived, excited, but there have been a numerous questions asked to the tech service such as how to set the phone with English.

As the phone is not popular, there aren't much rom available either. In the end I managed to set the phone to be able to use in English, but it still show "low memory" just doing a simple stuff. ( and I was told 525 mb is too low for today's apps)

Yes Its time consuming and frustrating, but in the meanwhile, I have learned a lot and even came across this thread!

(Although I am still not happy with my Lenovo phone, recently my daughter got Doogee phone and its a lot better phone, cheaper and reliable. No bloat ware, set in English from the start)

And off course I am looking into my next phone from China!

2 GB ram and at least 8GB memory are a must now, I wouldnt go below 16GB myself.

• Advertisement

Elephone send phones like that try avoid customs, it worked once for me.

Funny they charged me say €3 to get a horrible box that wont make any difference if customs see it

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JoeOD1998

Has anyone got a lenovo Note 8/a936 if so where did u get it from?

Funny they charged me say €3 to get a horrible box that wont make any difference if customs see it

Ah so you paid for it, I thought maybe you hadnt of paid for that option, ive done it twice myself.

Ah so you paid for it, I thought maybe you hadnt of paid for that option, ive done it twice myself.

I paid for a lot of rubbish I didn't need

Insurance
    Their rom
    No packaging logos etc

I paid for a lot of rubbish I didn't need

Insurance
    Their rom
    No packaging logos etc

The no packaging can work at times, I warned people off the rom on here before, the insurance is something I would never buy.

The no packaging can work at times, I warned people off the rom on here before, the insurance is something I would never buy.

I suppose for three or so compared to customs, it's worth the gamble.

In my case I assumed get phone with Chinese apps, Google play store issues etc or get their rom

Again for a newbie, six or so to guarantee replacement phone if it's lost sounds a bargain

All this playing on peoples fears and the unknown

• Advertisement

I suppose for three or so compared to customs, it's worth the gamble.

In my case I assumed get phone with Chinese apps, Google play store issues etc or get their rom

Again for a newbie, six or so to guarantee replacement phone if it's lost sounds a bargain

All this playing on peoples fears and the unknown

Rooting and titanium backup can remove those pesky apps, merimobiles once added a rom to a lenovo for me when I mailed and requested it but hopefully the Huawei sorts you out, I had a Huawei before lovely well built phones.

Rooting and titanium backup can remove those pesky apps, merimobiles once added a rom to a lenovo for me when I mailed and requested it but hopefully the Huawei sorts you out, I had a Huawei before lovely well built phones.

Ah yeah I do it on my phones, but said new phone so didn't want to start messing with system apps. Then I had to flash roms and repair IMEI, so that didnt work out as planned

Thanks, I have a G510, low rom and storage only issues. Lovely old fashioned heavy phone with a rubber case, drop it to hear thud not a phone breaking

Ah yeah I do it on my phones, but said new phone so didn't want to start messing with system apps. Then I had to flash roms and repair IMEI, so that didnt work out as planned

Thanks, I have a G510, low rom and storage only issues. Lovely old fashioned heavy phone with a rubber case, drop it to hear thud not a phone breaking

512MB ram :eek:

512MB ram :eek:
    The things you dont think when going from a sybiam Nokia E5 to any android phone that has to be better;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Sad days, instead of option for another Chinese phone, got sick of waiting for the perfect 4.7 inch screen and went for a Lumia 925.

Loving it so far to be honest.

The Honor 6 is being sold

• Advertisement

The things you dont think when going from a sybiam Nokia E5 to any android phone that has to be better;)

Bring it back and get a Moto G

Bring it back and get a Moto G

No sorry I have a Huawei G510 over a year and am getting a Huawei Ascend G7 next week

No sorry I have a Huawei G510 over a year and am getting a Huawei Ascend G7 next week

Ah I get ye now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭smilerf

Good choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭seanin4711

johnybean wrote: »
    Anyone gotten their hands on the Lenovo K3 Note yet?

its in ireland since yesterday morning but when it will be winging its way to me?
    better call the union in an post!

UPdate:
    better wait a call from customs as thats where it is even with NL post.
    oh well still great peice of kit for the dosh.
    Come on customs ring me(never thought I would be saying that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Would it be worth getting the OPO over the Jaiyu S3?

Is it really worth 100+ more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

My Elephone P7000 has arrived in Ireland, just trying to arrange delivery now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭GBX

n1ck wrote: »

Good stuff. Looking forward to hearing feedback on it. I didnt wait in the end but would still be interested to hear a review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

RossieMan wrote: »
    Would it be worth getting the OPO over the Jaiyu S3?

Is it really worth 100+ more?

Depends on whether you have the €100+ extra to spend, I suppose. Both are really good value at their price points. I'm somewhat put off the 1+1 by the various problems so many seem to have with it, not least on the thread on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

n1ck wrote: »

Hi....how much did them customs ppl charge you? Also which website you ordered from? I am too looking to order the p7000 or p8000 soon, your opinions would be helpful. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭fitzer1982

My Lenovo K3 note arrived today, I got it from a crowd called gearbest. So far really like it but I've only had a chance to play with it for a couple of hours. Got through without getting stopped by customs which is a plus. Took two weeks from order to get here, the tracking was terrible. It still says on tracking that the phone was sent overseas but nothing since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Asus Zenfone 6" for €265, anybody have any experience of this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭satguy

RossieMan wrote: »
    You cant avoid import duties, it's random luck. Snail mail seems to be the way to go, detection rates are lower than DHL.

The detection rates with DHL are suspiciously high,, high enough to set off my radar, something doesn't feel right with how fast the "you owe €31 on this purchase" emails get sent out, or that call by the guy in the van. I have your phone,, will be there soon, OH and you need to pay €31, then you hear a Sid James laugh... Hmmm ,,

The DHL handling fee is also very vague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭fixXxer

satguy wrote:
    The DHL handling fee is also very vague.

DHL paid my customs charges (based on what the declared value was) and charged me €10 on top as a handling fee. They phoned just before the guy arrived, no option for anything else.

If my phone came through Netherlands why is an Post putting it through customs?

fitze69 wrote: »
    My Lenovo K3 note arrived today, I got it from a crowd called gearbest. So far really like it but I've only had a chance to play with it for a couple of hours. Got through without getting stopped by customs which is a plus. Took two weeks from order to get here, the tracking was terrible. It still says on tracking that the phone was sent overseas but nothing since.

Which postage did you use?

fixxxer wrote: »
    DHL paid my customs charges (based on what the declared value was) and charged me €10 on top as a handling fee. They phoned just before the guy arrived, no option for anything else.

Yes, the more phones that are caught the more €10 fees they can add to bills, the fact that you already paid €9.99 for fast delivery seems to be lost on them.

My phone was only €75 yet they said I owed €31, I think I was stung.

Would never use DHL again,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

seanin4711 wrote: »
    If my phone came through Netherlands why is an Post putting it through customs?

They've copped onto that, it'll still say it originated from Hong Kong

peaceboi wrote: »
    Hi....how much did them customs ppl charge you? Also which website you ordered from? I am too looking to order the p7000 or p8000 soon, your opinions would be helpful. Cheers

Ordered from etotalk and paid €30~ customs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Wang King wrote: »
    Asus Zenfone 6" for €265, anybody have any experience of this ?

Factor in customs, vat and admin charge. Might be more like 350 perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

T-Bird wrote: »
    Factor in customs, vat and admin charge. Might be more like 350 perhaps.

No, trade price from England, no hidden extras

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭fitzer1982

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Which postage did you use?

Just the standard one that was free, came through an post, probably dumb luck.

Phone has plenty of bloat ware but I'll probably root at some point. Its seriously nippy, my moto g had started to crawl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Wang King wrote: »
    No, trade price from England, no hidden extras

Sorry my mistake. I didn't read it properly and presumed it was a 2 instead of a 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 KerrySurfer

I recently got a tablet from a seller on Aliexpress, when it showed up on the an post tracking I noticed it had been sent to customs. I was expecting the usual email requesting and invoice to show the purchase price but this time it was just released. When the postie arrived he had a customs charge for me which was based on the declared value. Is this a new practice?

On another note, has anyone gotten their Chinese items delivered to their Parcel Motel address in Belfast? I know PM don't accept anything with customs charges on it but surely there's no way the UK customs are as "efficient" as our boys?!

surely there's no way the UK customs are as "efficient" as our boys?!

Our boys are only efficient because some of our couriers are standing there with laser pointers and highlighting our phones as they go past on the conveyor.

They then add a handling charge on to the bill,, Now just Que the Sid James Laugh !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I had a screen worth €35 sent to PM, I know its nothing big bit still liable for customs duty, not a thing said about it. UK allowance may be higher though

I recently got a tablet from a seller on Aliexpress, when it showed up on the an post tracking I noticed it had been sent to customs. I was expecting the usual email requesting and invoice to show the purchase price but this time it was just released. When the postie arrived he had a customs charge for me which was based on the declared value. Is this a new practice?

On another note, has anyone gotten their Chinese items delivered to their Parcel Motel address in Belfast? I know PM don't accept anything with customs charges on it but surely there's no way the UK customs are as "efficient" as our boys?!

Hi how long were you waiting for the delivery of tablet once you knew it went to customs?
    thanks
    John

So my Elephone P7000 just arrived and first impressions are that it is unbelievable, build quality is really excellent, I expected it to be very plasticy but it is really well built.

Screen has a lovely display, colours are vibrant. It is quite heavy but the phone itself is massive compared to my iPhone 5s so it is to be expected really, anyone with a similar size phone it would be comparable I would think.

I will post some more once i've used it a bit more, only just opened it basically!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭90sBla

Nubia Z9 Mini users, I have finally found a tool custom made for our phones which includes 1 click driver install, 1 click root, 1 click twrp with custom interface for z9 mini to install ROMS etc.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software-hacking/zte-nubia-z9-mini-one-click-root-custom-t3130631

Enjoy!

Custom ROMS link inc CM 12.1 https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=kZ2ciXZF5nJBplEMtHrRs1BNh0zUV4aRphV#folder=31054211

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭joei

Just received my jiayu s3, I scanned it with malwarebytes and it found 20 malware apps, none of which it could remove. I installed titanium backup and removed them but when i restart the phone they're back! They have names like ios7, petal, waterdrop, galaxy5.. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement