Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One plus one owners thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    They deliver to Uk maybe try Parcel motel?

They have it on amazon.co.uk albeit slightly more expensive.
    Tempted to get it..

Sorry should have said, original link was to amazon.com, won't deliver to Ireland or UK.
    Had a look on amazon.co.uk and its there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi Guys,

I'm waiting for an invite for the OPO which I hope to get in the next two weeks as my Note 2 is beginning to show it's age a little and my two year contract with VF ends soon also.

I've been reading and watching the various reviews and all seems pretty good, some annoying teething type bugs which seem to be dealt with fairly quickly via OTA updates.

As a replacement for my Note 2 I'd like to ask a few questions of you guys who already own the device if I may?
    • What Irish networks does it's 4G capability work with? (Any particularly good all you can eat calls and 4G data deals you can recommend ATM?)
    • Does it have Gorilla glass? Is a protection case needed? It seems a shame to cover the grippy stylish looking back plate unless absolutely necessary.
    • Has there been any issues with it's GPS performance e.g using Google Maps etc? - I know some lower end Chinese brand phones had GPS issues
    • Has the yellow tint screen issue which arose soon after the first batch was released been dealt with in subsequent production batches?

Appreciate any feedback I get.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

are you on the invite thread? because go there if you arent ;)

dont have 4g as i am on tesco mobile but not had a problem with anything * even downloading via my data is surprisingly fast for some reason.

it has some sort of glass but I went and bought some screen protectors and a bumper case. I dont care how it looks I would rather spend 20 euro or whatever on a bumper case then worry about it having to be fixed and spending more
    glass of the titans is supposed to be good. not going to say anything about any other sp in case I am seen plugging something.

gps signal for me * ashbourne, meath, dublin, westmeat, louth and carlow hasnt been a problem. locates the satellites fairly quickly for me anyways and has yet to drop * only if the road is fairly new does it.

no yellow tint, I think that was the very first batch and even if its not its a fairly easy fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭SteM

BenThere wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm waiting for an invite for the OPO which I hope to get in the next two weeks as my Note 2 is beginning to show it's age a little and my two year contract with VF ends soon also.

I've been reading and watching the various reviews and all seems pretty good, some annoying teething type bugs which seem to be dealt with fairly quickly via OTA updates.

As a replacement for my Note 2 I'd like to ask a few questions of you guys who already own the device if I may?
    • What Irish networks does it's 4G capability work with? (Any particularly good all you can eat calls and 4G data deals you can recommend ATM?)
    • Does it have Gorilla glass? Is a protection case needed? It seems a shame to cover the grippy stylish looking back plate unless absolutely necessary.
    • Has there been any issues with it's GPS performance e.g using Google Maps etc? - I know some lower end Chinese brand phones had GPS issues
    • Has the yellow tint screen issue which arose soon after the first batch was released been dealt with in subsequent production batches?

Appreciate any feedback I get.

Ben

- Meteor and 3. Maybe Vodafone but I'm not 100% sure on that.
    - Yes Gorilla Glass 3. From reading the OPO forums it seems the back plate can wear down to become smooth if you put it in our pocket a lot. I have ordered a bumper case for mine anyway.
    - I've been using mine for a few days and had no GPS issues in the car or using it with Strava on the bike but can't say for certain.
    - No, I've had mine a week now and the yellow band is there and it's noticeable on white screens so browsing etc. I've been told that it's easy to get rid of but if you look at the OPO forums I'm not so sure. One tip I got on the OPO forum was to turn on the android buttons which come up on that area of the screen. That means you don't see the yellow band. Works for me.

SteM wrote: »
    - Meteor and 3. Maybe Vodafone but I'm not 100% sure on that.
    - Yes Gorilla Glass 3. From reading the OPO forums it seems the back plate can wear down to become smooth if you put it in our pocket a lot. I have ordered a bumper case for mine anyway.
    - I've been using mine for a few days and had no GPS issues in the car or using it with Strava on the bike but can't say for certain.
    - No, I've had mine a week now and the yellow band is there and it's noticeable on white screens so browsing etc. I've been told that it's easy to get rid of but if you look at the OPO forums I'm not so sure. One tip I got on the OPO forum was to turn on the android buttons which come up on that area of the screen. That means you don't see the yellow band. Works for me.

Thanks for the reply SteM, appreciate it.

One questions ref using it for Strava. How do you use it on the bike? Do you have a clip on water proof pouch like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ibera-Waterproof-Smartphone-StemClamp-Screens/dp/B00JMKSMT0/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1409143494&sr=8-3-fkmr2&keywords=Ibera+IB-PB16+Waterproof+Smartphone+Case on the handlebars or do you just keep it in a rear pocket of your jersey?

Ben

• Advertisement

daytob wrote: »
    I dont care how it looks I would rather spend 20 euro or whatever on a bumper case then worry about it having to be fixed and spending more glass of the titans is supposed to be good. not going to say anything about any other sp in case I am seen plugging something.

Indeed I saw the earlier post ref selling the cases. I've always had a case on my phones so will probably go with one for the very reasons you mentioned. Please PM me details of your product. I've never been able to apply a screen protector in my life. I have major DIY/dexterity issues it seems!!

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭SteM

BenThere wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply SteM, appreciate it.

One questions ref using it for Strava. How do you use it on the bike? Do you have a clip on water proof pouch like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ibera-Waterproof-Smartphone-StemClamp-Screens/dp/B00JMKSMT0/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1409143494&sr=8-3-fkmr2&keywords=Ibera+IB-PB16+Waterproof+Smartphone+Case on the handlebars or do you just keep it in a rear pocket of your jersey?

Ben

No, I wouldn't stick my smartphone on to my handlebars to be honest. I'd be afraid of it coming off.

Just keep in my pocket or in my backpack and check the route recording when I get to work. It's only a 14km commute so it's unlikely to get wet.

Edit:If you're thinking of using it with Strava I'd recommend this app.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onetapstrava

It puts a 'one touch' recording button on your home screen, that way you don't have to bother going into the Strava app to start recording. You just just the button.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭gar

I got this cover. Cheap and cheerful
    http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1986918976.html
    Fits really well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

gar wrote: »
    I got this cover. Cheap and cheerful
    http://m.aliexpress.com/item/1986918976.html
    Fits really well

Don't look far off the orzly one I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

So... I have a chinese OnePlus One with Color OS and so far every attempt at installing the cyanogenmod rom has failed. Has anyone 'round these parts successfully flashed cyanogen

Am I missing something really stupid... it wont flash from recovery at all

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

101001 wrote: »
    So... I have a chinese OnePlus One with Color OS and so far every attempt at installing the cyanogenmod rom has failed. Has anyone 'round these parts successfully flashed cyanogen

Am I missing something really stupid... it wont flash from recovery at all

Did you get the bacon tagged ROM from Cyanogenmod? That is for OPO.

I certainly did. Tried many different forms of nightly and the factory one that appears here https://cyngn.com/products/oneplusone/

Every guide Ive gone through doesnt seem to fit my purpose but Ive installed roms before. I was wondering is there something exceptional that I might of missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭tippgirl123

Did the phone and charger arrive seperatly or together

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

mine came separately but I'm not sure what the set up is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

From recent unboxings I've watched it looks as both packages come inside a larger box

They came together... atcually one thing Ive noticed all the how toos Ive watched seem to have colorOS recovery, mine has Team Win Recovery. Is this weird?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

They came together... atcually one thing Ive noticed all the how toos Ive watched seem to have colorOS recovery, mine has Team Win Recovery. Is this weird?

Which seller did you buy off out of interest. I'm waiting on delivery from eternal team. Apparently their version comes with cyanogen mod already pre loaded (albeit an older version).

I've read it is easy enough to reinstall up to the latest version though.

SK1979 wrote: »
    Which seller did you buy off out of interest. I'm waiting on delivery from eternal team. Apparently their version comes with cyanogen mod already pre loaded (albeit an older version).

I've read it is easy enough to reinstall up to the latest version though.

I got it off eglobal. Installing a ROM should be easy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

I think your problem flashing the new ROM is down to your recovery partition, have a read through this thread and in particular try what user 'jaklode' suggests about going to stock 11S first. You should be able to do normal OTA's from that point on.

http://forum.cyanogenmod.org/topic/96258-problems-with-update-via-ota/

Let us know how you get on please...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

daytob wrote: »
    Ill be doing a giveaway for a bumper case and screen protector soon and have promised some to a few people on here. They are going in the post 2moro. If anyone is looking for a sp and I am not allowed promote that I am selling them pm me and ill give you a boardsie discount ;)

That bumper case is great, thanks for sending it. The raised volume and power buttons work flawlessly on it.

The xtremeguard screen protector you sent is pretty good too, we tested it on my mate's phone over a Nilkin glass one. Gave it a good going over with a sharp knife and while it did mark, it didn't penetrate through, there wasn't a mark on the protector beneath it when we peeled it off.

Got a cruzerlite case or whatever its called from amazon. its white. I dont like it. anyone want it? sell for cost

Blade wrote: »
    I think your problem flashing the new ROM is down to your recovery partition, have a read through this thread and in particular try what user 'jaklode' suggests about going to stock 11S first. You should be able to do normal OTA's from that point on.

http://forum.cyanogenmod.org/topic/96258-problems-with-update-via-ota/

Let us know how you get on please...

Now... I had actually come across this but I discounted it because I didnt think it applied to me as I had had ColourOS initially and not cyanogenmod. (secretly I think it was part of the great tab cull yesterday and I just forgot about it.... there was so many tabs open, so, so many)

14 hour days the next 2 so I mightnt get to it over the weekend but cheers for that Ill let you know how I get on

apparently Im a skiving sh*tebag. So I gave it a go and it worked a charm. Thanks a mill for that blade

apparently Im a skiving sh*tebag. So I gave it a go and it worked a charm. Thanks a mill for that blade

Cool, glad it worked for you! :)

Tried the sat nav today, in the ar88hole of westmeath. not a bother to the oneplus. tesco mobile and found something that the htc one x on meteor couldnt find. never lost signal once. handy to know if anyone was interested how it is for gps

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

Pretty happy with my battery life, this is why I'm still on 25R :)

• Advertisement

BTW it's official, we have the best device :)

320349.png

Advertisement