Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Aiden - Saturday October 31st

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shepards Delight

The day in Claremorris wasnt as bad as meteorologists predicted on different platforms storm aiden not sure how it even got an name was dissapointingly not severe as some made out. As we continue through the long night there should be alot of rain towards dawn once more and more rain tmoro afternoon into tomorrow night . After that the unsettled spell will drop the un for a few days . Replaced by higher pressure meaning colder temperatures and drier weather around mid week onwards or so . Happy halloween to all the weather Boffins out there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Breeze picking up again in Limerick

Peak gusts were around 11am this morning

Some rain, but not torrential.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Breeze picking up again in Limerick

Peak gusts were around 11am this morning

Some rain, but not torrential.

Definitely getting a bit lively

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Perfect gap in the weather from about 5pm to 10:30pm. Had the bonfire goin and plenty of fireworks. The wind was dead still.

Couldn't have worked out better. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wind suddenly picking up in cork city, getting gusty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

sweet_trip wrote: »
    Perfect gap in the weather from about 5pm to 10:30pm. Had the bonfire goin and plenty of fireworks. The wind was dead still.

Couldn't have worked out better. :D

Spot on there. Went to Waterford this morning from west Limerick. Driving a transit, my worry was the wind would blow off the black panels going up both sides of the windscreen, cannot keep them on, but no wind was on my back all the way down, and coming home around 7pm very calm. Worked out lovely for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Very stormy in South Tipp at the moment. Wind picked up just after 10 and there is a fair gale blowing out there now with heavy rain too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭snowgal

After escaping most of the storm earlier the winds are definitely at their strongest here in Meath at this time!

Same here in Cork city, very strong winds at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Same. It wasn't like this last night. I was tired but still would have heard it.
    Folks down in west cork said it was bad last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭bassy

m17 wrote: »
    V9NuMzf.jpg

where was that pic taken ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Seems all very quiet in my area of the city. Raining again though. Always find it strange how localised weather can be.

I was awake yesterday morning around 6 am, and there were some very strong gusts.

I always find these windstorm events very localised, especially in the city.

What was that red warning event we had a couple of months back? Well, that was unreal and scary for me. But other people thought it was a nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Further North and the wind still gusting strongly. Noise keeping me awake :pac:

gozunda wrote: »
    Further North and the wind still gusting strongly. Noise keeping me awake :pac:

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Seems all very quiet in my area of the city. Raining again though. Always find it strange how localised weather can be.

I was awake yesterday morning around 6 am, and there were some very strong gusts.

I always find these windstorm events very localised, especially in the city.

What was that red warning event we had a couple of months back? Well, that was unreal and scary for me. But other people thought it was a nothing.

It is always very localised in Ireland. Such a small island and the oceans have an effect of changeability. It was like that in Orkney as we were caught between two great oceans .

People are too parochial. If it aint blowing HERE it aint blowin!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wild out here. Been asleep a while then just in the dark listening to the familiar windsong and gale memories.

Certainly storm/gale quality wind!

After today a period of s of blessed quietude and peace

Fare thee well, Aidan! You will be remembered with honour! You made your mark and achieved eternal fame....
    Lived up to your name..

West mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

m17 wrote: »
    meenogahane pier co kerry

It's a lovely spot. Ventured out there during the summer. Would have been nice getting the sea stack in the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Storm comparison table updated to include Aiden (in terms of max gusts).

As always, for those that are new, each cell is colour coded based on the necessary warning level using the official system by Met Eireann.

Yellow = 90-110 kph
    Orange = 111-130 kph
    Red = 131+ kph

All data shown is sourced from Met Eireann.

130 kph (70 kts) wind gust at Malin Head is a joint Halloween record for Ireland with 1999 whilst 93 kph (50 kts) 10-min max mean speed at Malin Head is a new Halloween record beating 89 kph (48 kts) at the same station on Halloween 1970.

SJUo3NQ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Been fairly wild here all day with torrential rainfall at times. Some strong gusts. Wind still howling in the chimney atm.

Seems much worse today in Cork and very strong gusts at the moment.

• Advertisement

Seems much worse today in Cork and very strong gusts at the moment.

A very warm wind!
    15C and high humidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Storm comparison table updated to include Aiden (in terms of max gusts).

As always, for those that are new, each cell is colour coded based on the necessary warning level using the official system by Met Eireann.

Yellow = 90-110 kph
    Orange = 111-130 kph
    Red = 131+ kph

All data shown is sourced from Met Eireann.

130 kph (70 kts) wind gust at Malin Head is a joint Halloween record for Ireland with 1999 whilst 93 kph (50 kts) 10-min max mean speed at Malin Head is a new Halloween record beating 89 kph (48 kts) at the same station on Halloween 1970.

SJUo3NQ.png

Great work. That list of storms is getting so long at this stage that I think maybe setting the stations as columns and not rows will fit better...:pac:

Advertisement