Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Philips Hue WiFi lighting set up - what do you have?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

matrim wrote: »
    Can you run multiple dimmer switches in the same room? e.g. to have two for the hallway, one upstairs and one downstairs?

Yes,
    I have 2 dimmer switches in the bedroom, one beside her, and one beside me, and they both operate the same lights/scenes

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

paulbok wrote:
    I think so. There is a busy Amazon Echo thread in gadgets that would tie in with this thread, esp with Hue systems. Couple of Nest threads over the last year as well.

paulbok wrote:
    It'd be nice to have a forum for all home automation systems, plenty of setup advice so far here and being able to see what goes well together before embarking on expensive outlays would be invaluable.

I'll ask again

I've decided on the White & Ambiance GU10's for the kitchen, the colours are just too expensive, and for 10 in the kitchen ceiling, it's just far too much to spend for the novelty of having the colour available to simply 'show off' the odd time. I've ordered 4 in total to start with (my kitchen lights are 4 on the dining room side, 6 on the kitchen side, and providing there are no issues, I'll get the next 6 if/when I'm happy with them, and then maybe another 4 for my landing down the line.

The colour GU10's work out at £49.99 (£149.99 for the starter pack), and the white ambiance GU10's are only £44.99 for a 2 pack, so only £22.50 per bulb, which is almost double the price of a standard dim-able LED GU10.

Another thing with the Hue Bloom I bought last week, it's decent enough, however one issue I have with it is the power cable from the plug/adaptor to the bloom light itself cannot be disconnected, as in the plug, cable & light are all 1 piece, which is probably fine in 99% of circumstances, but if you wanted to put the bloom in a dresser or in a bookcase (or anywhere and didn't want the power cable on show), you'd need a big enough hole at the back to feed the entire plug/adaptor through, whereas if where the cable went into the bloom was a plug/fitting like this, you'd only need to drill a small hole the width of the little push in plug to route the power cable where you wanted it. The light strip is set up this way, so why not the bloom?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Just wondering do ibood ever offer deals on this stuff, they always seemed to have Philips led products, just wondering if the hue stuff ever made it there .

Lads we are looking to get a home automation forum going to tie in this, and the other offerings along with the IFTTT offerings and security alarm interfaces.

We think it needs a home now with the echo and apple home kit, Google home, Rpi, ZigBee, lightwaverf etc.

The forum request is here. We can get the most from each other and integrating these systems, HW and SW.

Boards.ie: Home Automation Forum Request - http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057658649

• Advertisement

matrim wrote:
    Just started to set up last night. It's a bit annoying that the bridge requires a LAN connection as I had hoped to place it out of the way on a shelf on the landing for maximum coverage instead of beside the UPC box.

I've a small switch behind my TV stand 8 Port

I've the hub's fixed to the back of the TV units

It takes time but it's worth it. I've a multi gang socket fixed to the back of the unit too.

It's worth doing imo. Your TV and android / apple / fire TV / PS4 etc you don't be long filling it up. Might as well hide it

Is there a Philips extender booster? Most of these systems have them

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Just bought 2x lightstrips and 1 extension for above my kitchen units off the apple website. looking forward to setting them up!

are you going to use 2 strips on the kitchen units to give off 2 different colours?

Ive units on the left and units on the right.

The units on the left are 3 meters long on top and the rights ones are 2 meters.

So I figured I could use the 2m and 1m extension on the left

and the 2m one on the right

I don't think id fancy different colours at the same time, ill probably just use all the same colour, ill have a mess with it. ill have 6 bulbs and these strips in the kitchen when I put them in, I assume you can add them all to one "Scene" in Home on IOS and just change the colour of all of them at the same time?

Thanks

I assume you can add them all to one "Scene" in Home on IOS and just change the colour of all of them at the same time?

You can indeed,

• Advertisement

Cool, I was worried there for a minute haha!

I've created a couple of recepies to turn on and off my heating and lamps using the IFTTT on my Sony smartwatch . I see there are similar ones for the hue, it works.
    I also use the push buttons IFTTT app to create single button events once again this can mix hue with your phone and or other hubs

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭whiteley91

So guys I have been reading through this thread and I am just wondering about how you manage the existing light switches? Do you just install covers over the switch and place a hue wireless switch beside it or just remove the switch altogether and use the app? I want to make the plunge and integrate with the echo but this part is abit annoying! Would prefer a smart light switch that replaces the existing switch and integrates into the smart home technology

You keep your original switches as they are, as the hue lights will still function as regular lights if you don't use the app or hue dimmer. You could remove them if you want, but then you'd be solely relying on the app to control your lights, which would be awkward if your router went down!!

So let's say I have a hue light in the sitting room and turn on my existing switch, will the light come on if it was last selected off by the hue app or the echo? Like will it default to on when power is applied? So if I turn the hue off with the app and flick the existing switch off then on would the hue light come back on? Ha sorry for the questions I just want to make sure before I have some strange looks by the parents saying u need the app and the switch! Ha

Yes, it would come back on at the flick of the switch.

When you cut the power to a hue bulb it resets the bulb, so the next time the bulb receives power it will come back on at the default setting, which for the colour bulbs is a standard warm white.

The bulbs will function like any regular light bulb with power on/off from a standard light switch.

So technically you don't need the app or a hue switch, though this would just make them very expensive light bulbs!!

Thank you very much! I think you just made up my mind on them and its over to Amazon to say bye bye to the wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

How does the location base stuff work of you have two people in the house?

Say I want the lights to turn off when I leave but don't want to leave my fiancee in the dark. Is there a way to say only when neither is home

To be honest it's not a feature I've ever used!

I use many various timers to turn my lights on:off every evening, and wouldn't be into the idea of plunging the house into darkness every time I left, advertising the fact the house is empty!!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Have my bridge and 4 bulbs up and running for a few week now, very happy with them. Man maths won the day with the justification for the purchase!

A real bonus for me was being able to code my iris to the hub, wasn't expecting this.

Here's a good link I found summarising all the offerings
    http://www.howtogeek.com/248178/the-difference-between-all-of-philips-hue-light-bulbs/

Also, I recommend the ikea e27 adaptors, 2 for €1.50 is probably the cheapest you will find even online and you know you are quality made

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Just curious as to what the benefits of these lights are especially the colour ones. I have replaced all my bulbs with led so what's have these lights got that I am missing.

Apart from being able to change colours. What advantage does that bring.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Just curious as to what the benefits of these lights are especially the colour ones. I have replaced all my bulbs with led so what's have these lights got that I am missing.

Full control of the lights via your smart device, over the internet from anywhere in the world,
    The ability to set timers for various different lighting 'scenes' on your smart device.
    Use of various different 3rd party apps that allow lights to be used in any particular setting, Halloween, parties, Christmas etc...

Nice link though the lights shown are the U.S. market lights, as there is no mention of the colour GU10 & White & Ambiance GU10.

I got a set of 3 Lux bulbs when they were released as up until then, it was only colour (fecking expensive) bulbs available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

irishgeo wrote: »

Along with what AndyBo said, you can sync the bulbs with other smart devices, such as come on/off when motion detectors triggers, have the lights come on a certain colour when smoke detectors go off,
    The control you have over the lights allows you a lot of flexibility rather than just on/ off or dim

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Damn it, yet another interesting home automatino in thread in yet another forum!
    Stoner wrote: »
    Is there a Philips extender booster? Most of these systems have them

Philips Hue uses ZigBee, which is a wireless mesh network. That means each hue device acts as a sort of extender and passes all commands along to the next nearest device. Therefore you shouldn't really need a dedicated extender.
    whiteley91 wrote:
    So guys I have been reading through this thread and I am just wondering about how you manage the existing light switches? Do you just install covers over the switch and place a hue wireless switch beside it or just remove the switch altogether and use the app?

I put a Philips Hue dimmer switch next to each of the old light switches and just leave the old light switches turned on all the time.

I covered over the old light switch in the living room with a child safety socket protection cover, so that visitors (baby sitters, etc.) don't accidentally switch them off.

In the bedrooms, I just leave the old switches uncovered. Since it is mostly just us family members using them, you get use to ignoring it and just using the dimmer switch after a few weeks. Of course you could cover those too, but the child safety covers are about €10, so didn't want to waste too much on those.

I prefer to use covers then completely remove the light switch, because you then always have a physical backup if the Philips Hue system goes down.

BTW lightwaverf looks like a good alternative for just switching out the physical switch for a smart switch. Two disadvantages, no colour options and for the moment, the system doesn't seem to be integrated with Amazon Echo, Yonomi, etc.

Lightwaverf does work with IFTTT, so once Amazon Echo UK supports that, it might be an option. Though I hear IFTTT might be somewhat unreliable. Philips Hue seems to be a much better integrated and reliable ecosystem, IMO.

bk wrote:
    Lightwaverf does work with IFTTT, so once Amazon Echo UK supports that, it might be an option. Though I hear IFTTT might be somewhat unreliable. Philips Hue seems to be a much better integrated and reliable ecosystem, IMO.

One thing apart from two way switches you can simply connect the switch wire to the permanent looped feed at the back of the switch. Easy to do and undo and makes the switch redundant.

Lightwaverf works ok with IFTTT. I only have buttons made though. No voice yet.

Echo dot gen 2 on back order
    Google home due in November

I'll tell you then.

Outside of IFTTT all lightwaverf have done is link their home and away settings with nest. You do that within the official app. They are going in the right direction

I don't have a nest, just a new Google smoke detector.
    I've the Philips hue arranged too. I'm going to get that bloom light.

Link it to the ring intercom and the smoke detector

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Stoner wrote: »
    I don't have a nest, just a new Google smoke detector.

After about 18 months of use, I can't say I'm particularly impressed with Nest.

Hive looks fairly promising but it's early days yet so that opinion could change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Guys, have my starter kit on order & wanted to throw this out to everyone as I discovered it myself & haven't seen it mentioned.

The Philips Hue is less expensive in the US, but the use an E26 bulb as opposed to our E27. Only 1mm in the difference but apparently it's enough to cause faults.

• Advertisement

The U.S. Bulbs will all be 110 volt,

Whereas in Europe they'll all be 230 volt.

So U.S. Bulbs won't work here.

Advertisement